Start by marking “The Library Window” as Want to Read:
The Library Window

The Library Window

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  102 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Ostensibly a ghost story, The Library Window is also an exploration of what is real and what is not, or, as the author says, A Story of the Seen and Unseen. Newly designed and typeset in a modern 5.5-by-8.5-inch format by Waking Lion Press.
Published July 1st 2008 by Classic Books Library (first published 1896)

To ask other readers questions about The Library Window, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Library Window

Althea Ann
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A teenage girl, on an extended visit to her aunt's in Scotland, becomes obsessed by looking out at a window across the way - a window no one but her is convinced is more than a clever bit of trompe l'oeil. The more she looks, the more she seems to see... and all her aunt's elderly friends cluck in concern as if they know more than they're telling...
This ghost story is exceptional - it truly captures the mental state of a lonely, bookish young person, and although quietly told, creates an effect
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Hannah, Wanda
Recommended to Laura by: Karen
I loved this novella written by Mrs. Oliphant. It reminds me in some way, Proust's style of writing with very long paragraphs but still keeping our attention into the plot.

A magnificent book which was kindly recommended by Karen, I really appreciate.
Bonnie Jean Michalski
May 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Three for the Coffer that We Might Yet Give Light

i. Supernatural Fiction

The spent
summer; importance
a life of Saturday nights’
harsh withdraw.

Again her story’s girl
drawing Oliphant, Oliphant’s

historical Lady Carnbee,
Lady Carnbee-Oliphant.

“as we love to see them,
the personages of her narrative.”

Aid and seize ghost-like.
Explicit diction; Aeolian, Scottish
Fachrina
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: horror fans, but everyone really
Shelves: ebook, horror
I'm in love with the prose. The description is vivid; I think this is the piece I'm going to use as a reference for how to write description. The way the narrator speaks is also highly engaging, revealing the narrator's character clearly.
Victoria Phelps
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Though she was a favorite of Queen Victoria and wrote over 120 books, Margaret Oliphant is not studied much today. This is my PSA that Oliphant is an author worth studying. She certainly deserves more than nine reviews on Goodreads.

The Library Window is a Gothic novella (or, if you want to be cute, “novelette”) around 50 pages long. It tells the story of a young, unnamed narrator who begins to notice a peculiar library window across from her aunt’s home. While her aunt’s friends speculate that t
Daniel Apatiga
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I liked this novelette because it has magic realism and was a precursor perhaps to the fantasy genre. The novelette most closely reminds me of the Harry Potter series, because, even though Nel is looking through a kind of magical window, the library window makes me think of the paintings on the wall that had moving figures who would sometimes stay still and sometimes not. At some point during the story, I thought Nel was going to die like in Erl Konig (when the little boy who was hallucinating d ...more
Anthony
Apr 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
19th century ghost story set in a library, so fun. the narrator is reading a book for most of the first section so she's only barely paying attention to the events she is narrating--a fantastic study of peripheries
Gijs Zandbergen
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Aanbevolen door Rob van Essen in NRC-Handelsblad, toen hij een bloemlezing van Engelse korte verhalen recenseerde. Magaret Olifant was voor hem een schrijfster om nader te ontdekken. Dit verhaal is een spookverhaal, maar gaat ook over eenzaamheid.
Carla
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
A nice little psychological/supernatural novella--a good evening's read!
Ashley Hayden
A wonderful short story to read on a rainy day whilst snuggled up with a mug of hot chocolate and a duvet. Simply amazing!
Cosimo
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
Una niña que ve un fantasma que solo ella vé.
Clasico juego de suspenso sicolog.realidad-fantasía.
Bueno pero me aburrió tal vez porque para hoy es
muy típico.
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Understated and interesting, nicely written. Sort of like a junior, reversed, not unhappy Yellow Wallpaper.
Aliya
  • Show and Tell: Exploring the Fine Art of Children's Book Illustration
  • A Hanging
  • Wild Apples
  • Dear Boy
  • Library Mascot Cage Match (Unshelved, #3)
  • Walking In Pimlico
  • The Mammoth Book of Modern Ghost Stories
Margaret Oliphant Wilson Oliphant (née Margaret Oliphant Wilson), was a Scottish novelist and historical writer, who usually wrote as Mrs. Oliphant. Her fictional works encompass "domestic realism, the historical novel and tales of the supernatural".

Margaret Oliphant was born at Wallyford, near Musselburgh, East Lothian, and spent her childhood at Lasswade (near Dalkeith), Glasgow and Liverpool. A
More about Mrs. Oliphant...

“Poor little bird,” she said, “how it’s strugglin’ and flutterin’! I’m not saying but what it’s more dangerous when it’s all for a dream.” She” 1 likes