Start by marking “The Wallflower, Vol. 1 (The Wallflower, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wallflower, Vol. 1 (The Wallflower, #1)

The Wallflower, Vol. 1

(The Wallflower #1)

MAKEOVER OF THE CENTURY
It’s a gorgeous, spacious mansion, and four handsome, fifteen-year-old friends are allowed to live in it for free! There’s only one condition–that within three years the guys must transform the owner’s wallflower niece into a lady befitting the palace in which they all live! How hard can it be?
Enter Sunako Nakahara, the agoraphobic, horror-movie-lovi
Published October 12th 2004 by Del Rey (first published October 13th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Wallflower, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Regina Krus Sadly most manga novels are about $10 a piece. Which adds up especially for a 36 book series. :/ I read them all through the library! I live in a rura…moreSadly most manga novels are about $10 a piece. Which adds up especially for a 36 book series. :/ I read them all through the library! I live in a rural area but surprisingly my county actually has a really great manga selection so I'd check there first.(less)

Start your review of The Wallflower, Vol. 1 (The Wallflower, #1)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
When the going gets rough, it's time to turn to manga! Allow me to pimp out one of my favorites series of all time.

The Wallflower has long been a favorite manga series of mine, it's got beautiful artwork, absolutely gorgeous men (HELLO REVERSE HAREM), a grumpy, evil, and seriously dark heroine (you can probably tell I like her), and surprisingly enough for a reverse harem...just the right amount of romance. It's fucking adorable. There is no love triangle, despite the reverse-harem premise.

**not
Mir
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic, ya
Well-executed but incredibly shallow comedy about four cool and attractive teen boys who can score free rent if they transform the socialite landlady's grubby, horror-loving niece into a "lady". I was really hoping for some reciprocity, like she decides it's okay to have friends and comb your hair, but the guys realize that looks aren't everything. Sadly, it so far seems to purely reinforce the all too prevalent social pressures on girls to obsess about their looks. You are happy watching horror ...more
Kay
One of my favorite manga series ever! The best way to describe The Wallflower is bizzaro and effing hilarious.

It's the story of a gothic, agoraphobic, slasher movie fanatic named Sunako who busts into nosebleeds whenever she sees beautiful men (i.e. Creatures of Light). Her social circle is limited to her beloved "dolls" (a skeleton named Josephine, and two anatomical figures named Hiroshi and Akira. One day, her dark and horror film filled life is turned upside down when her aunt recruits four
Bipasha
Apr 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Bipasha by: Khanh...I'm so so sorry, I didn't like this. :"(
Shelves: coverfuckd
Deficits All Expectations. Sigh. 2.5 wasted stars:(

Perfect Girl Evolution/ The Wallflower is about an “ugly” (read: perfectly beautiful but unpolished, the boys have partial blindness perhaphs) girl who happens to live in an awesome house. Enter four spectacularly gorgeous(um, no, not really) boys who wish to live in that house, and chance on a lucky opportunity by the landlady to live rent-free in the palacial mansion, but on one condition: to turn the wallfower, who is also the niece of the pe
Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ]
This manga is CUTE.. haha

Wallflower manga Review

"Story & Playability"
Wallflower also known as Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge has a story line that is not something too extrodinaire but something that assumes and an everyday life but with a twist to it. At first when Kyohei and Sunako meets each other (along with Takenaga, Yukinojo and Ranmaru) for the very first time they seem totally incompatable but gradually as episodes come and go they seem closer to each other than any other pairings in the
Dana
Oct 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
I loved it!! So bizarre...cross-dressing teenage boys...agoraphobic, slasher film-obsessed girls... sex-for-hire auction posing as posh host club...I mean, when will the madness end?!? I can't wait to read volume 2!
Jessica-Robyn
Apr 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-manhwa
Life lesson from The Wallflower #1:
When reading about ridiculousness and prettiness one should always be humming this: http://youtu.be/Ye7PIyIcCro
Your Welcome. XD

First exposed to The Wallflower through seeing the first couple episodes of the anime I found the story and art style to be interesting but most importantly it was funny, over the top, and seemed to be coming from completely out of nowhere. I'm glad to see that this correlate even more so in the manga.

It took me a bit longer then I e
Shalor T.
Mar 10, 2013 rated it liked it
This review is kind of representative for my feelings of the series as a whole. I'd stopped reading around volume 16 because I got tired of waiting for something to happen. I'm somewhat OK with series that are supposed to be zany Ranma 1/2 type series where it's supposed to be a zero hour setting where it's more about getting in repeated madcap adventures than telling a plot line. I just got a little bugged because at times this series would progress in the plot, then have Sunako regress almost ...more
Mizuki
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Me and my manga-reading aunt both love this series.XD

Crazy plot, crazy setting and equally crazy sense of humor are at work here. And the four pretty boys are much more than just eye-candies, though the mention of their huge army of fangirls and those fangirls' extreme behaviors are always oh-so over the top.

Outside of the manga itself, the author Tomoko Hayakawa's undying love for the Japanese Visual Kei male rock star Kiyoharu is just equally hilarious! She loves him so much that she basically
Degeorgetown
Feb 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
I tried to read this because I'd heard such great things about it, but I hated it. The art was ugly, I couldn't tell one boy from another. The main character is extremely unlikeable. She tries to murder one of the guys with scissors and everyone is cool with it, no one thinks she needs psychiatric help. I quit reading in disgust after she befriended a serial rapist because they were both "misunderstood". Waltz Tango Foxtrot doesn't come close to describing my reaction.
Lauren
This manga first drew my attention simply because I fell in love with the character designs. Save for a few problems (two of the main guys look a little too much like each other for me to have an easy time telling them apart) that is the strongest thing the manga has going for it. The story's relatively straightforward. It's the Beautiful After All type of story. I don't get morally offended by that type of story the way some other people do, and I'm willing to have fun with it. However, the wri ...more
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
I really like this series. It’s entertaining!
Puji P. Rahayu
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect Girl Evolution Vol. 1
by Tomoko Hayakawa

5 out of 5 stars

Baca ulang di tahun 2020

To be honest, I still really like to reread this manga. I love how Sunako-Kyohei's development. At the end of the day, they are just cute together.

Actually, the main message that delivered by Hayakawa is really good. No matter what other people said to us, especially the negative one, we shouldn't be that much affected. If we aren't wrong, why bother, then?

================================

Aku lagi kangen ba
Luna
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Overall series review (mostly) 4 Stars - so far, I’ve still got a few to go…
Additional: Like most long running series there are some duff chapters/volumes

Sunako is my spirit animal. Only she’s not an animal of course… we’d be ideal friends if both of us came out of our caves long enough to interact.

I re-started The Wallflower series this year and it while I do think it’s too long (36 book total) and doesn’t actually develop much past its initial plot. I also like it for this reason. In a way
Fangirl Musings
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ALL OF HUMANITY!
Recommended to Fangirl Musings by: Goodreads; thank God.

Okay, I'm officially fangirling over this shojo manga series, like hardcore. The characters are flippin' adorable-ness with a topping of SO DAMN FUN! The lead heroine, Sunako, is pretty much my definition of Misfit Weirdo, and I love her like mad for that fact! I'm obsessed with how this series is so character driven, and I'm practically drooling at the mouth to get my hands on Volume 2. Much drool; all of the drool.

Yes, yes, the plot is a bit simplistic in that it's the "Four Hot Guys Need To T
Nick
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Overall Rating: B
Synopsis: A Shōjo comedy/romance manga created by Tomoko Hayakawa. At the beginning of the manga, Sunako Nakahara confesses her love to a boy, who utterly rejects her and tells her she's ugly. As any reasonably young person would do, Sunako then discards all traces of her femininity, and retreats into odd and morbid hobbies, such as collecting skulls.

Fortunately, Sunako's aunt owns a mansion that four gorgeous boys live in (huh?). Apparently, the boys pay rent to live in the ma
Tracy
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any girl who ever thought she was ugly
Recommended to Tracy by: youtube's wallflower anime music videoes
Yesterday, I broke down and bought Volume One, since B&N was out of Charlaine Harris's vampire series' books I was looking for. Anyway, it was worth the wait (and the cash). (Except now I have to buy volumes 2-17). I love the drawing/ art style and the story is amazing. The series is about a girl named Sunako who has shunned all things beautiful (including caring about herself) ever since the first boy she told she loved called her ugly. Two years pass, and Sunako's aunt decides she needs help m ...more
Tani
Apr 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
I recently bought all 36 volumes of this manga at Boston Anime, so I'll be working my way through this series! I've been watching the anime and am almost finished with that, but I'm sure the manga goes way past that, so I'm really excited. This first volume introduces Sunako and the other main characters. If you've seen the anime, it's pretty close to that, but more serious. The anime is seriously crazy at times, so I kind of appreciated the more serious feel to this. (Don't get me wrong, things ...more
Rakisha
May 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of boy bands, pretty boys, My Fair Lady, and She's All That
Recommended to Rakisha by: Molly
Blood. Ghosts. Creatures of light! No, this isn’t a vampire-horror graphic novel. This is a wacky story about 4 hot guys with a mission to turn their landlady’s homely neice into a stunner, so they can get free rent. But when the poor thing looks like the girl from the movie The Ring, do the boys even have a chance? You’ll have to read the rest to find out. You’ll be laughing and cheering through out the whole series.
Brooklyn Teen-central
Reviewed by delil1 (TCRC)

Bishonens (super hot, teenage guys) Kyouhei Takano, Takenaga Oda, Yukinojo "Yuki" Toyama, and Ranmaru Morii all live together in the mansion of miss Nakahara. when her niece moves in she gives the boys a choice they could start paying full rent or they can turn her niece the gothic loner Sunako Nakahara into a lady. witch leads them into all sorts of wacky situations and accward positions in there atemp to make her into whay her aunt wants her to be.
Mark Corpuz
I'm waiting for this. I don't like only in manga. I watched yamato nadeshiko when I was grade 6 student and that was years ago. And it happened that I watch it again today and OH I FELL IN LOVE.. what now? it's 2012 and yet there's still no new season. Yes, Yamato Nadeshiko is still on going and we can read manga online but what the hell!! What can i do with a book?? IT'S NOT EVEN MOVING! THE CHARACTERS ARE NOT MOVING. in short, THERE IS NO EMOTION!! I miss the voice of Kyohei Takano >_< ...more
Cara Loughlin
Jan 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I wasn't too sure about this manga at first because the art style is different from what I usually like (the main character usually appears in her little chibi form). But the story is hilarious! Goth girl vs the pretty boys.
Leah
Jul 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I am not a shoujo fan in the slightest. I haven't a clue what made me read this series, but I couldn't be happier I did. YNSH is absolutely hysterical (although chibi!Sunako appears a bit too often for my liking).
Chent Higson
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Originally read 16.July.2011
Almost 5 years later, I have finally bought the second volume, and seeing as I really didn't remember much from the first time I read this, decided it was time for a super quick reread. My original rating was 3 stars, but I think imma have to up that.
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
Basically about a bunch of young guys renting and coming up short with money, so their landlady comes up with a way for them to earn their keep, by transforming her niece from a weird outcast to an attractive young woman. Easier said than done, but with oh so hilarious effects.
A
Jul 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
i'm only adding one because the series is long but FUCKK sunaku-chan is the most hilarioussssssss antisocial likkle gurll ever, i love it. oh noes! creachhhauurs of the light!
Novera
Jan 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love it... The Setting are very Beautiful.. My friends told that I am Sunako... Can you believe it?.. But, I really love it.. Its amazing comic.. I want to be a rising Sunako.. I wish.. >_< ...more
Kkalmoni
Jun 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
A really great series. About 4 bishies (young man) who need to makeover a girl into a lady in order to get free rent. Yamato who is into horror is resistent to the idea. A funny series.
Awilma Acosta
Dec 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Alex(from my girls group)
I really liked this book because
Sandy
Aug 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-and-manga
The anime follows the manga pretty closely. A fun read. Read vols 1-2.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Anime lovers103: Wallflower 2 5 Apr 11, 2020 04:04PM
Anime lovers103: Perfect Girl Evolution 1 7 Feb 22, 2016 05:18AM
Shoujo Manga Book...: The Wallflower Discussion 15 20 Apr 25, 2014 09:50AM

• Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 1: Priestess
  • Mars, Vol. 1
  • High School Debut, Vol. 01 (High School Debut, #1)
  • Special A, Vol. 1 (Special A, #1)
  • Skip Beat!, Vol. 01
  • Beauty Pop, Vol. 1 (Beauty Pop, #1)
  • MeruPuri, Vol. 1 (MeruPuri, #1)
  • Beast Master, Vol. 1 (Beast Master, #1)
  • Gakuen Alice, Vol. 01 (Gakuen Alice, #1)
  • Full Moon o Sagashite, Vol. 1
  • Shugo Chara!, Vol. 1: Who Do You Want to Be? (Shugo Chara!, #1)
  • Ranma ½, Vol. 1 (Ranma ½ (US 2nd), #1)
  • Hana-Kimi: For You in Full Blossom, Vol. 1 (Hana-Kimi: For You in Full Blossom, #1)
  • Absolute Boyfriend, Vol. 1
  • キスよりも早く1 [Kisu Yorimo Hayaku 1] (Faster than a Kiss #1)
  • Paradise Kiss, Vol. 1
  • Nana, Vol. 1
  • Black Bird, Vol. 1
Tomoko Hayakawa (はやかわ ともこ, Hayakawa Tomoyo) is a Japanese artist and writer, best known for her ongoing manga The Wallflower, which has spawned both an anime and a live action series.

The Wallflower (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 2 (The Wallflower, #2)
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 3 (The Wallflower, #3)
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 4 (The Wallflower, #4)
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 5 (The Wallflower, #5)
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 6 (The Wallflower, #6)
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 7 (The Wallflower, #7)
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 8 (The Wallflower, #8)
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 9 (The Wallflower, #9)
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 10 (The Wallflower, #10)
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 11 (The Wallflower, #11)

News & Interviews