Start by marking “Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale (Modern Faerie Tales, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale (Modern Faerie Tales, #1)

Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale

(Modern Faerie Tales #1)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  77,689 ratings  ·  4,367 reviews
Welcome to the realm of very scary faeries!

Sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother's rock band until an ominous attack forces Kaye back to her childhood home. There, amid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two r
Published June 20th 2008 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Tithe, please sign up.
Aimee Marie Le Roi It does indeed! Books one and three both feature the same group of characters two of whom have a romantic storyline; book two has a different set of c…moreIt does indeed! Books one and three both feature the same group of characters two of whom have a romantic storyline; book two has a different set of characters where there is a romance plotline(less)

·  77,689 ratings  ·  4,367 reviews

Start your review of Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale (Modern Faerie Tales, #1)
Elle (ellexamines)
If curiosity killed the cat, it was satisfaction that brought it back.

This is one of those rare few books that really shows me why we need a 3 1/2 star rating, and I don’t like to give 1/2 stars. This… was so fun, and a four star book for me, and also it bugged the shit out of me to the point where I texted someone to bitch about it. But… I honestly did have so much fun.

Let’s get the complaining out of the way: god, I fucking hate 2004 YA. I mean, this text has a bunch of homopho
Melanie
RTC! <3

Blog | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Youtube | Twitch

I read this for #FaerieAThon, which I am cohosting with Jane, Kristin, & Alexa! ❤

Regan
DNF - just not for me lol
Shannon
Read #4? probably
Started on June 4, 2019
Finished on June 5, 2019

“If you would help me, draw this arrow." His eyes narrowed, and he shook his head. "If not, then push it in as deep as you can and hope it kills me.”

Still a hoe for Kaye and Roiben and I'm not sorry about it

(This masterpiece made me do a re-read. My eyes will never be the same. Petition for more Kaye/Roiben fanart)

OG REVIEW THAT I'M STILL AMAZED SO PEOPLE HAVE LIKED SO *THANK YOU* IF YOU'RE ONE OF THEM

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

I'm going to be up
Julie Kagawa
May 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tithe is a very raw, very dark faerie tale. While not suitable for younger readers (lots of swearing, random torture and violence, and mature themes), I loved its take on the darker side of faerie. It deals with faerie themes like Changelings and the knowing of one's True Name very well, and Roiben is probably my favorite faery hero of all time. (Kind of like Sephiroth. If you know who Sephiroth is, you'll understand.)

The writing was a teensy bit sporadic and hard to follow at first. I found my
✨ A ✨
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: This series does not come close to TCP in greatness
I was not expecting to be blown away by this and gosh am I so glad I kept my expectations low.

The main reason I read these books is because I absolutely loved The Cruel Prince and The Wicked King. And since I don't know what to do with myself while I wait for The Queen of Nothing I decided to get to know more about the other faerie courts which is set in the same world as TCP.

Kaye thought that she was just an ordinary girl. When one day her friend mistakenly enters a faerie realm, things chang
Tomoe Hotaru
Ugh. I don't know where to start with this one so I'm gonna jump right in. I didn't like it. It was all just a raging bunch of WTF?! for me. I mean, it was random. My brain hurts so this isn't going to be a very coherent review.

Before I go to my detailed ravings, it's best if I gave a brief overview of what this book was about. It's the story of Kaye, a changeling, who was put under a glamour to hide her true green-skinned self and lives with her rockstar wannabe "mother", Ellen. Her life ultima
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Holly Black’s writing was my first introduction to fae fiction; as a kid, I was obsessed with all sorts of fae mythology, but typically was limited to nonfiction until the first time I saw Tithe on the “new” shelf at my library. I must have checked this book out and reread it four or five times within the first couple of years, but this was my first reread since I was a preteen, and I had no idea what to expect!

If curiosity killed the cat, it was satisfaction that brought it back.

I had forgo
K. Elizabeth
1 / 5

There’s no way I’m going to write an entire review for this. Nope. I'm just proud I managed to skim and not give up entirely; that's an achievement on its own.

Let me sum this book up for you: Imagine a story filled with only unlikeable/trashy characters (there wasn’t a single person or thing I liked—I swear, everything was terrible), a nonexistent/poor plot, cliche male jerks that are accepted because they’re (of course) “extremely attractive," etc., and all of that tied in with choppy/
Mary-Beth
Nov 20, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance, fiction
Kaye is obviously incredibly lovely and then it turns out she's a magical fairy. Sure her life is hard, but it's the fairies making it that way because she's so important that they're all out to get her. Look, what I'm saying is, it's like the author tried to think of all the coolest latest trends among teenagers and tried to mash them into a fairy story. Kaye is also not anyone's typical teenager. She has super special protagonist syndrome.

I found the Faerie described by the author quite intere
Amber Baker
Jun 24, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Amber by: list on Amazon
If I could have given it 0 stars I would have. To publish this as a young adult novel is horrifying. I wouldn't read past 30 pages it was too offensive and to think it was published as content for young adults is terrible. It would be R rated as a movie. Not only was the f word used liberally throughout the few pages I read, teens were drinking, smoking and hinting at being sexually active. NOT something I would want my kids to read, or myself. I normally wouldn't dream of rating a book without ...more
Roshani Chokshi
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used to be ridiculously anti-social at family parties and hide out with this book. TITHE was so formative for me as a writer. Unapologetic and gorgeous. TITHE tore off the wings of fairytales and gave them fangs, claws and thorns. I wanted to be Kaye so badly I'd sometimes wander around in my backyard looking for a wounded elf prince. Sadly, no paranormal paramour for me. Although I did date a boy with werewolf sideburns. (I still am, but his sideburns have lost their lycanthropic enthusiasm).
Faith M ✨
I wasn’t originally planning on rating this, since I was reading off the omnibus edition released somewhat recently. But oh my goodness, that version changed so much! I’ll go more into that when I review the edition as a whole, but suffice it to say that there was some serious editing that happened between this original version and the combined copy. It’s not just an omnibus, it’s a veritable rewrite.

That said, this was sort of hard to rate even on its own merits. It felt very much like somethin
Thomas
Aug 23, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale" is about sixteen year old Kaye Fierch, a girl who has been moving around with her single mother for her entire life. At a young age she has been able to see and interact with these things called faeries, although no one believed her. Then one day, she enchants a boy into falling in love with her and makes a broken, splintered horse move. Soon after that event she meets a young faerie night named Roiben, and that is just the start of her faerie adventure.

Hm... okay,
Candace Robinson
I'm mad at myself for not reading this book a long time ago! It was so good and reminded me of when I was in high school before cell phones and social media consumed our entire lives!

I liked Kaye! I felt she was relatable. Yes, she may be a high school drop out, drink, curse and smoke, but not every teen in the world is a perfect angel. And Roiben! Loved, loved, loved him!!!

This world that Holly Black has created is amazing! I love her writing and her descriptions and that everything isn't perfe
Wren (fablesandwren)
So I didn't LOVE Cruel Prince (I liked it, though!), but I did love Darkest Part of the Forest. So let's see what else Holly Black has for me! ...more
chan ☆
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy, 2018
“What’s next on the faerie agenda?”
“I get sacrificed, I guess.”
“Great. When is that?”

oh, holly black. you never cease to make me laugh, gasp, and shake my head. this book was no exception, and for a debut novel (WRITTEN IN 2002!!!) no less.

book follows a girl named kaye who has always thought the world had a little magic. after moving back to her hometown and saving an injured fae knight, she figures out that she's right. she also discovers there might be a little more to her personal history th
Juushika
As a child, Kaye had faery friends; throughout her life, she has always been unusual. Now, following an barfight, Kaye and her would-be-rock star mother return to Kaye's childhood home. There, Kaye meets another faery, and discovers that her childhood friends really do exist and that she is far more unusual than she ever suspected. She soon falls into the middle of the power struggle between two rival faery courts, a struggle which could easily spill into the human world. Tithe is a mix of wonde ...more
Natalie
Apr 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ended up reading this book by accident. It was recommended to my 14 year old, Gini. She began the book and then brought it to me saying that she didn't feel it was appropriate for kids and that she, personally, had no interest in a heroine who consistently made such poor life choices. Well! I decided to read it to see what the deal was. This book was recommended for kids 14 and up and Gini has read books that were definitely adult reading level and she LOVES faery.

The problem with this book f
Tatiana
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, urban-fantasy, 2018
He slid out of bed, scratching his balls through once-white briefs, and sat down in front of the computer.

Ok, now I remember WHY I hated Holly Black's writing before finally enjoying White Cat. Too much grossness! That's why. Everything is in Tithe is disgusting and grimy (except for the love interest, thank goodness for that!) - if it's nail polish - it's chipped, if it's bed linen - it's dirty, if it's hair - it's greasy. Yuck! Apparently I am more used to the gross now, because this time I l
Emma
Please don’t judge me for being a middle aged woman loving this book! I couldn’t help wishing that this kind of book had been available when I was actually within YA range, but on the other hand my inner teen is enchanted anyway! I will definitely be reading Ironside which completes this story. Apparently the middle book of the trilogy, Valiant, doesn’t really connect to either Tithe or Ironside. Recommended for faerie tale lovers!
samantha  (books-are-my-life20)
I read this book in one day!!!! It is that good! A bit dark, fun and full of magic. And the love story is a huge plus!!!! If you enjoy Faerie and everything related to it, you will love this book. A can't wait to read Valiant!!!!
Amy Imogene Reads

Alright y'all, take this review with a grain of salt because I'm sucker for Holly Black. I liked this because it was Holly Black, faeries, and drama. Was it amazing? Nope. Did I enjoy it though? Oh yeah.

Concept: ★★★
Plot: ★★
Enjoyment: ★★★★ (so sue me, I love any and all things Fae and under the mound)

Keeping this review SUPER short and sweet because there's not much to say about this book with spoiling it and/or getting way too involved in a larger discussion on the tropes of early 200
Vicky Again
Apr 18, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
y'all I can't take it anymore

i'm DNFing this at 31% (so no official star rating)

BUT based on what I read, I would give this 1.5 stars

because
- the half-Japanese rep sucked.
- the queer rep was already starting to suck.
- felt no emotional connection
- was not intrigued enough by faerie to keep going
- the entire aesthetic was so grunge and I didn't like it? was not appealing imo

yeah. this was tiring to read.
Chelsea
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star
Series Review

Tithe: 3 stars
Valiant: 2 stars (barely)
Ironside: 3 1/2 stars

I am a huge fan of Holly Black, specifically her writing style. Both The Darkest Part of the Forest and The Coldest Girl in Coldtown were five star books for me, and this is coming from someone who typically gets bored by fantasy after a chapter or two.

There’s something about Holly Black’s writing style that is so lovely and dark and perfectly fitting for the stories she tells.

With the release of The Cruel Prince, which
 ♥ Rebecca ♥
This was so much fun! I started out very unsure about it, since it was recommended to me by a The Iron Fey fan, I was expecting something else. But Tithe is far darker than The Iron King. It was very thematic and I was thrown off by the heroine's heavy drinking, smoking, swearing, and shoplifting, a girl of 16. But once I got acquainted with its world different is not necessarily bad.

Kaye attracts the attention of a gorgeous fey of the Unseelie Court, a knight. Roiben has the whole victim-of-cir
Sophie_The_Jedi_Knight
*4.5

Wow.

Fun.

Really. I had such a great time with this strange, darkly magical book and it’s characters. It was true Holly Black, even if I’ve only read two of her books before this - I loved how the plot fell perfectly into place at the end.

Yeah, not too much to say. But I am so excited to continue this series and follow its amazing characters.

Ahh. So good.

4.5/5 stars.
Kimberlayy º
Dec 13, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horrible, sci-fi
i couldn't finish this book and i WON'T finish it. it is horribly stupid and swears like 10 times a page. it is all about cigarettes, drinking, and freakky people in dark alleys. WHAT THE HECK?! i couldn't believe what was happening in the book; it was disgusting!! ew! ew! i learned a lesson from this book: DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER!
Lia

Half the fun's in lies we tell ourselves.

My favorite thing about faerie books is always their eerie atmosphere. I don't mind gory horror, but what I truly love is that creepy feeling I get with mysterious and intriguing books like this one. And while Tithe did not leave me in awe, it was still very well-written, and it kept me hooked from beginning to end.

Holly Black is one of my favorite fantasy authors. She wrote The Curse Workers trilogy, my favorite urban fantasy series of all
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
I first discovered Holly Black's books when I read The Cruel Prince. I loved it so much I made it a goal to read all her books, and this one was next on my list. The first thing I thought when I read this was that I loved how strange it was!

Despite the book being strange you can literally read these in one sitting. The story is addicting and everything just happens so quickly that you don't even realize that you've finished the book until you've closed the book. The Fae world is wicked as always

• Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1)
  • An Enchantment of Ravens
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
  • The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
  • Blood & Honey (Serpent & Dove, #2)
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely, #2)
  • The Damned (The Beautiful, #2)
Holly Black is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of over thirty fantasy novels for kids and teens. She has been a finalist for an Eisner Award and the Lodestar Award, and the recipient of the Mythopoeic Award, a Nebula, and a Newbery Honor. Her books have been translated into 32 languages worldwide and adapted for film. She currently lives in New England with her husband and son in a house ...more

Modern Faerie Tales (3 books)
  • Valiant (Modern Faerie Tales #2)
  • Ironside (Modern Faerie Tales, #3)

Articles featuring this book

Holly Black is one of the YA world's premier experts on faeries (she also has the pointy ears to prove it). Her enchanting books include The...
“She loves the serene brutality of the ocean, loves the electric power she felt with each breath of wet, briny air.” 613 likes
“If curiosity killed the cat, it was satisfaction that brought it back.” 377 likes