Start by marking “Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale” as Want to Read:
Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale

Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale

(Modern Faerie Tales #1)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  69,043 ratings  ·  3,869 reviews
Welcome to the realm of very scary faeries!

Sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother's rock band until an ominous attack forces Kaye back to her childhood home. There, amid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two
Published June 20th 2008 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published October 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Tithe, please sign up.
Aimee Marie Le Roi It does indeed! Books one and three both feature the same group of characters two of whom have a romantic storyline; book two has a different set of…moreIt does indeed! Books one and three both feature the same group of characters two of whom have a romantic storyline; book two has a different set of characters where there is a romance plotline(less)

·  69,043 ratings  ·  3,869 reviews

Elise (TheBookishActress)
If curiosity killed the cat, it was satisfaction that brought it back.

This is one of those rare few books that really shows me why we need a 3 1/2 star rating, and I don’t like to give 1/2 stars. This… was so fun, and a four star book for me, and also it bugged the shit out of me to the point where I texted someone to bitch about it. But… I honestly did have so much fun.

Let’s get the complaining out of the way: god, I fucking hate 2004 YA. I mean, this text has a bunch of homophobia an
Regan
DNF - just not for me lol
Shannon
Read #4? probably
Started on June 4, 2019
Finished on June 5, 2019

“If you would help me, draw this arrow." His eyes narrowed, and he shook his head. "If not, then push it in as deep as you can and hope it kills me.”

Still a hoe for Kaye and Roiben and I'm not sorry about it

(This masterpiece made me do a re-read. My eyes will never be the same. Petition for more Kaye/Roiben fanart)

OG REVIEW THAT I'M STILL AMAZED SO PEOPLE HAVE LIKED SO *THANK YOU* IF YOU'RE ONE OF THEM

Read #4? probably
Started on June 4, 2019
Finished on June 5, 2019

Still a hoe for Kaye and Roiben and I'm not sorry about it

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

I'm going to be up front... this series? You will either love it or hate it. Personally, I absolutely love gritty real-life/fantasy stories when they're written well, and I think Holly Black does the combination so much freaking justice. It doesn't try too hard to be overly badass. Kaye is such a great lead -- although I don't always see myself in her actions throughout the book, I still liked her because she was real. I never got the sense that Holly Black was trying to impress me; she was just writing about a real girl. And honestly, when I compare female leads in other books, I always think about Kaye and if they live up to her standards (which is not often enough for me).

So many people cut down Tithe for its "objectionable" content, but I was actually able to find a lot of realism in the way most of the characters behaved. As I was growing up, the teenagers I knew cursed like sailors and were always trading stories about sex. Unfortunately or not, it's a way of life nowadays -- teenagers are naturally curious. I think in this case, Holly Black's choice to include these situations and words make her characters come alive. However, that's not all Tithe is about -- people want to focus on that, but it's only a small portion of the entire book. Tithe is different, and some people just don't enjoy or understand how YA can fit that profile. But that's the one thing I appreciate about Holly Black: her ability to take YA to another level. She proves that the genre doesn't have to be a complete trope-fest with beginnings and ends that fit together perfectly.

For me, Holly Black's writing in Tithe is really hard to pin down. It's like a combination of trippy and poetic. The way she describes things, you feel like you're reading poetry -- I love the detail she pours into Tithe. I think my favorite sections have to be when she describes the faeries and where they live -- she makes it all gothic-y and enchanting and it just makes me feel like I have a spell cast over me that forces me to be in this complete daze. I can't get out of it if I wanted to. I just keep reading every sentence she writes and loving them.
Julie Kagawa
May 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tithe is a very raw, very dark faerie tale. While not suitable for younger readers (lots of swearing, random torture and violence, and mature themes), I loved its take on the darker side of faerie. It deals with faerie themes like Changelings and the knowing of one's True Name very well, and Roiben is probably my favorite faery hero of all time. (Kind of like Sephiroth. If you know who Sephiroth is, you'll understand.)

The writing was a teensy bit sporadic and hard to follow at first. I found my
✨ A ✨
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: This series does not come close to TCP in greatness
I was not expecting to be blown away by this and gosh am I so glad I kept my expectations low.

The main reason I read these books is because I absolutely loved The Cruel Prince and The Wicked King. And since I don't know what to do with myself while I wait for The Queen of Nothing I decided to get to know more about the other faerie courts which is set in the same world as TCP.

Kaye thought that she was just an ordinary girl. When one day her friend mistakenly enters a faerie realm, things change for her. She dis
Tomoe Hotaru
Ugh. I don't know where to start with this one so I'm gonna jump right in. I didn't like it. It was all just a raging bunch of WTF?! for me. I mean, it was random. My brain hurts so this isn't going to be a very coherent review.

Before I go to my detailed ravings, it's best if I gave a brief overview of what this book was about. It's the story of Kaye, a changeling, who was put under a glamour to hide her true green-skinned self and lives with her rockstar wannabe "mother", Ellen. Her life ultimately changes
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Holly Black’s writing was my first introduction to fae fiction; as a kid, I was obsessed with all sorts of fae mythology, but typically was limited to nonfiction until the first time I saw Tithe on the “new” shelf at my library. I must have checked this book out and reread it four or five times within the first couple of years, but this was my first reread since I was a preteen, and I had no idea what to expect!

If curiosity killed the cat, it was satisfaction that brought it back.

I had forgott/>
Eliza
1 / 5

There’s no way I’m going to write an entire review for this. Nope. I'm just proud I managed to skim and not give up entirely; that's an achievement on its own.

Let me sum this book up for you: Imagine a story filled with only unlikeable/trashy characters (there wasn’t a single person or thing I liked—I swear, everything was terrible), a nonexistent/poor plot, cliche male jerks that are accepted because they’re (of course) “extremely attractive," etc., and all of that tied in with“
Mary-Beth
Nov 20, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, romance
Kaye is obviously incredibly lovely and then it turns out she's a magical fairy. Sure her life is hard, but it's the fairies making it that way because she's so important that they're all out to get her. Look, what I'm saying is, it's like the author tried to think of all the coolest latest trends among teenagers and tried to mash them into a fairy story. Kaye is also not anyone's typical teenager. She has super special protagonist syndrome.

I found the Faerie described by the author
Amber Baker
Jun 24, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Amber by: list on Amazon
If I could have given it 0 stars I would have. To publish this as a young adult novel is horrifying. I wouldn't read past 30 pages it was too offensive and to think it was published as content for young adults is terrible. It would be R rated as a movie. Not only was the f word used liberally throughout the few pages I read, teens were drinking, smoking and hinting at being sexually active. NOT something I would want my kids to read, or myself. I normally wouldn't dream of rating a book without ...more
Fables&Wren
So I didn't LOVE Cruel Prince (I liked it, though!), but I did love Darkest Part of the Forest. So let's see what else Holly Black has for me!
Thomas
Aug 23, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale" is about sixteen year old Kaye Fierch, a girl who has been moving around with her single mother for her entire life. At a young age she has been able to see and interact with these things called faeries, although no one believed her. Then one day, she enchants a boy into falling in love with her and makes a broken, splintered horse move. Soon after that event she meets a young faerie night named Roiben, and that is just the start of her faerie adventure.

Juushika
As a child, Kaye had faery friends; throughout her life, she has always been unusual. Now, following an barfight, Kaye and her would-be-rock star mother return to Kaye's childhood home. There, Kaye meets another faery, and discovers that her childhood friends really do exist and that she is far more unusual than she ever suspected. She soon falls into the middle of the power struggle between two rival faery courts, a struggle which could easily spill into the human world. Tithe is a mix of wonderful ...more
Natalie
Apr 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ended up reading this book by accident. It was recommended to my 14 year old, Gini. She began the book and then brought it to me saying that she didn't feel it was appropriate for kids and that she, personally, had no interest in a heroine who consistently made such poor life choices. Well! I decided to read it to see what the deal was. This book was recommended for kids 14 and up and Gini has read books that were definitely adult reading level and she LOVES faery.

The problem with this book f
Roshani Chokshi
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used to be ridiculously anti-social at family parties and hide out with this book. TITHE was so formative for me as a writer. Unapologetic and gorgeous. TITHE tore off the wings of fairytales and gave them fangs, claws and thorns. I wanted to be Kaye so badly I'd sometimes wander around in my backyard looking for a wounded elf prince. Sadly, no paranormal paramour for me. Although I did date a boy with werewolf sideburns. (I still am, but his sideburns have lost their lycanthropic enthusiasm).
Candace Robinson
I'm mad at myself for not reading this book a long time ago! It was so good and reminded me of when I was in high school before cell phones and social media consumed our entire lives!

I liked Kaye! I felt she was relatable. Yes, she may be a high school drop out, drink, curse and smoke, but not every teen in the world is a perfect angel. And Roiben! Loved, loved, loved him!!!

This world that Holly Black has created is amazing! I love her writing and her descriptions and tha
samantha  (books-are-my-life20)
I read this book in one day!!!! It is that good! A bit dark, fun and full of magic. And the love story is a huge plus!!!! If you enjoy Faerie and everything related to it, you will love this book. A can't wait to read Valiant!!!!
Chelsea
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star
Series Review

Tithe: 3 stars
Valiant: 2 stars (barely)
Ironside: 3 1/2 stars

I am a huge fan of Holly Black, specifically her writing style. Both The Darkest Part of the Forest and The Coldest Girl in Coldtown were five star books for me,/>I
Tatiana
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, urban-fantasy, ya
He slid out of bed, scratching his balls through once-white briefs, and sat down in front of the computer.

Ok, now I remember WHY I hated Holly Black's writing before finally enjoying White Cat. Too much grossness! That's why. Everything is in Tithe is disgusting and grimy (except for the love interest, thank goodness for that!) - if it's nail polish - it's chipped, if it's bed linen - it's dirty, if it's hair - it's greasy. Yuck! Apparently I am more used to the gross now, because this time I liked Tithe. If
Lia

Half the fun's in lies we tell ourselves.

My favorite thing about faerie books is always their eerie atmosphere. I don't mind gory horror, but what I truly love is that creepy feeling I get with mysterious and intriguing books like this one. And while Tithe did not leave me in awe, it was still very well-written, and it kept me hooked from beginning to end.

Holly Black is one of my favorite fantasy authors. She wrote The Curse Workers trilogy, my favorite urban fantasy series of all time, bu/>
chan ☆
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, fantasy
“What’s next on the faerie agenda?”
“I get sacrificed, I guess.”
“Great. When is that?”

oh, holly black. you never cease to make me laugh, gasp, and shake my head. this book was no exception, and for a debut novel (WRITTEN IN 2002!!!) no less.

book follows a girl named kaye who has always thought the world had a little magic. after moving back to her hometown and saving an injured fae knight, she figures out that she's right. she also discovers there might be a little more
Emma
Please don’t judge me for being a middle aged woman loving this book! I couldn’t help wishing that this kind of book had been available when I was actually within YA range, but on the other hand my inner teen is enchanted anyway! I will definitely be reading Ironside which completes this story. Apparently the middle book of the trilogy, Valiant, doesn’t really connect to either Tithe or Ironside. Recommended for faerie tale lovers!
Vicky Who Reads
Apr 18, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
y'all I can't take it anymore

i'm DNFing this at 31% (so no official star rating)

BUT based on what I read, I would give this 1.5 stars

because
- the half-Japanese rep sucked.
- the queer rep was already starting to suck.
- felt no emotional connection
- was not intrigued enough by faerie to keep going
- the entire aesthetic was so grunge and I didn't like it? was not appealing imo

yeah. this was tiring to read.
Kimberlayy º
Dec 13, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horrible, sci-fi
i couldn't finish this book and i WON'T finish it. it is horribly stupid and swears like 10 times a page. it is all about cigarettes, drinking, and freakky people in dark alleys. WHAT THE HECK?! i couldn't believe what was happening in the book; it was disgusting!! ew! ew! i learned a lesson from this book: DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER!
Seth
Nov 06, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Summary: comfortably predictable storyline with some huge plot holes, but more than fun enough to read. Just make sure it doesn't put off Weetzie Bat or other masterpieces of the YA genre.

This book is marred by one major flaw that doesn't affect most of the YA set: bad things happen--both on- and off-stage--to sympathetic characters around our protagonist and no one cares. Several "best friend" character die, the two mothers are left bereft of their children, a small child is abandoned to the f
 ♥ Rebecca ♥
This was so much fun! I started out very unsure about it, since it was recommended to me by a The Iron Fey fan, I was expecting something else. But Tithe is far darker than The Iron King. It was very thematic and I was thrown off by the heroine's heavy drinking, smoking, swearing, and shoplifting, a girl of 16. But once I got acquainted with its world different is not necessarily bad.

Kaye attracts the attention of a gorgeous fey of the Unseelie Court, a knight. Roiben has the whole victim
Alaina
I knew nothing about this book before I started to read it. I mean, I pretty much just picked up this book because it helped fit a category in a reading challenge, cool title, I like butterflies, and a new author all wrapped in one? Heck yeah, get in my hands and come home with me book!

I love any kind of fairytale or retelling book so I was super excited for a modern faerie tale! However, Tithe has kind of left me torn. I have no idea how to write out this book review.

WHY? Well because I
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Hidden Gem buddy re/read with the YA & Beyond crew!

I find it highly intriguing how John Milton & Paradise Lost show up in this book right when I'm starting Traitor Angels. Just a thought.

It went fast, but I'm glad I decided to reread this. I blew through nearly half of it in two hours last night and wrapped up the rest this afternoon -- I think it's a testament to Holly Black's skill that even though I flew through this book I was never bored and skimmed minimally. I liked how t
Rachael
Apr 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kaye has always been different. She’s Japanese and a natural blond. She stopped going to school when she was fourteen because her musician mother kept them moving around. But what made the other kids really back away were the stories about her friends Gristle, Spike, and Lutie-loo. Everyone thought they were imaginary because no one besides Kaye could see these creatures. That’s because Kaye’s friends were part of the world of Faery.

Kaye is dragged farther into this dangerous world w

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Stopping Time, Part 1 (Wicked Lovely, #2.5 Part I)
  • The Hunter's Moon (The Chronicles of Faerie, #1)
  • The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm
  • Darklight (Wondrous Strange, #2)
  • The Blue Girl (Newford, #15)
  • Arcanum 101  (Diana Tregarde, #0.3)
  • Fairy Tale
  • I Was a Teenage Fairy
  • Why I Let My Hair Grow Out (Morgan Rawlinson, #1)
  • Speak
  • Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception (Books of Faerie, #1)
  • Faerie Winter (Bones of Faerie, #2)
  • Eyes Like Stars (Théâtre Illuminata, #1)
  • The Seventh Daughter (Faerie Path, #3)
  • The Purple Emperor
Holly Black is the author of bestselling contemporary fantasy books for kids and teens. Some of her titles include The Spiderwick Chronicles (with Tony DiTerlizzi), The Modern Faerie Tale series, the Curse Workers series, Doll Bones, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, the Magisterium series (with Cassandra Clare), The Darkest Part of the Forest, and her new series which begins with The Cruel Prince in ...more

Modern Faerie Tales (3 books)
  • Valiant: A Modern Tale of Faerie
  • Ironside: A Modern Faery's Tale
“She loves the serene brutality of the ocean, loves the electric power she felt with each breath of wet, briny air.” 567 likes
“If curiosity killed the cat, it was satisfaction that brought it back.” 355 likes