Start by marking “Death Note, Vol. 13: How to Read” as Want to Read:
Death Note, Vol. 13: How to Read

Death Note, Vol. 13: How to Read

(Death Note #13)

The Ultimate Death Note Encyclopedia!

Here, in one authoritative volume: everything you need to know about Death Note, the best-selling manga series. Featuring complete character biographies, detailed storyline summaries, production notes and behind-the-scenes commentaries, Death Note 13: How to Read also includes exclusive interviews with creators Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi
Published February 19th 2008 by VIZ Media LLC (first published October 13th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Death Note, Vol. 13, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Note, Vol. 13

--Light's
Sesana
Apr 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This is called volume 13, and an encyclopedia for the series. It isn't really either. It's more like a set of DVD special features. Worth reading? Actually... yes, at least in part. The character profiles that start the book have very little new information to add, but L.'s does include his real name. The creator interviews that take up much of the space are actually really informative. There's a detailed timeline, a complete set of all the Death Note rules, and answers to most of the questions ...more
Amber Hetchler
Jun 24, 2015 added it
Shelves: manga
Now I feel like I know everything there is to know about Death Note. My life is complete.
Sarah Harakeh
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
The short story about the new Kira is pretty excellent and also moralistic like the previous one. I just have one thing to comment on the profiles of the characters: why on earth are all the characters so anorexic?!
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
In all honesty, this volume was pretty unnecessary. There is no real value in reading it besides finding out what L's real name is. You also find out what all the characters in the story like and dislike. Nothing more useful than that to the story!

I did like the exclusive interview that gave some insight into some of the creative decisions and story direction.

This volume is also necessary if you want to complete your collection. So... why not?

Yours truly,

Lashaan | Blogger and Book Reviewer
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I actually apologize because it took me almost four years to finish the book. Problem is, I don't usually get into reading a book that goes into such detail about a book I've just read, so I had some troubles to focus at the time and let it slide for a long time.

Now I was back at it, and it had been a while, so it all made more sense, since I was looking for some real Death Note after seeing the thing Netflix recently brought out. This
Different Is  Beautiful
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Strong 4 stars
Jessica
Mar 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Somewhat dry, but not exactly shocking considering that it's basically an encyclopedic overview of the series. The four panels were fun, and it was interesting to read the pilot version of Death Note. Worth paging through if you're a Death Note fan, but definitely not a sit down and read through type of book. Includes an illustrated card of L.
Alex
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I love Death Note - HUGE FAN! So it was great to learn all the behind the scenes and interviews and jump into this world again! =] There were some extra manga strips and such towards the back of the book which with both hilarious and amazing to read! As always Death Note rules!!
Wee!wawaLAA!!!
Apr 01, 2008 marked it as to-read
Waaaah
I want to find out L'S REAL NAME!~!!!!! :3
I wuv you, ryuk!! :]
Hamnah Siddiqui
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Death Note is a series by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata about an epic battle of wits between the highschool student Light Yagami and detective extraordinaire L. Light found a notebook called the Death Note and uses it to kill criminals by writing their names in it. This causes him to be known by the public as Kira, or killer. L is determined to stop him and tries to do this by getting closer to Light and by having him work on the case with him. L almost exposed Light, but Light has supernatural ...more
Zenandroid
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty neat book, Given it non-fiction nature though i am of course jumping back and forth through the interviews and such !
R
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this book so long ago, before I had Goodreads. Love Death Note unexplainably
Lindsay
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I really enjoyed this Death Note volume 13. Of course, you don't read this manga to get more Death Note story, but rather to get a deeper understanding of the manga. This manga is more like the behind the scenes on a DVD. The creators answer many questions about all sorts of different things, explain different events in the manga, and make it more clear. I enjoyed reading the interviews with the creators, and it made my day to discover that their favorite character L! Both of them! <3 I also ...more
Hyalineaquas
Jul 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
i absolutely loved this book! the only reason i didnt give it 5 stars was there was a lot of pages with pure boring filler to make the book longer i think. i just wanted to read things i didnt know about the series, but other than that it was really great. there were character descriptions for all the characters which im thankful for cuz there are so many that i forget names and its a good reference to match a name with a face. It also included the deathnote pilot comic and several 4 panel ...more
Jeffrey
Feb 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Death Note fans
Vol 13 claims to be "the ultimate Death Note encyclopedia" but it comes off more as a DVD Special Features section. It includes some filler profiles on the characters and timelines out the events of the story and the movements of the death notes themselves. Most of it is written in tiny print, yet in an oversized volume and an upcharged cover price. There are also some four panel comics from various magazines in the original printing which are cute but largely forgettable.

The real value comes
Min Yee

This book will come in handy if you are a hard-core fan of Death Note and this volume definitely provides some of the answers to your questions related to the story. To be honest, I wish I have more time to finish every part of this volume but I only read certain parts which capture my interest.
David
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read the anime many times.Im finish with my 5th anime already.But this one tops it.Its crazy that L died.Light Yagami is so cool.The part when Light dies is crazy.L won.When Light dies its so sad :c.Ruuk uses his Deathnote.I didnt want L to die.He was my favorite character.
Leah
Jul 23, 2008 rated it liked it
I actually found Volume 13 to be far more enjoyable than the series itself, most likely for the fact that I loved getting a deeper look at the characters and discovered a numerous amount of little tidbits about the creation of the series & the aftermath.

I really liked Ryuk's comments.
Mikaa
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
my friend aylli also has this book and i read it i was stuck on one page though the one with near ^//^
Cindy
Jul 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, mistery
I love death note....!
iT was aMazing...
Louis
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Great encyclopedia on the world of Death Note with tons of background information (more than you'll ever need!) and a splendid reminder of why the series was so alluring.
Saru (Queen of Bookland)
I can't believe it's really over. :(
Ben Truong
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Death Note: How to Read is less like an encyclopedia as advertised (perhaps styled as one), but more like a reference guide to the Death Note manga series. It includes character bios, story line summaries, interviews, production notes, commentaries, the pilot chapter of the manga, and includes Ryuk's Human Observation Journal. There are seven distinct sections to the book with many sub-sections for one to preview.

The first section of the tankobon is dedicated to the character profiles of every
Sandra Girard-Demontigny
Phew. I must admit that it was painful to read. I even decided to skim it what I never do, not even in my classes. I think it was useless to make a summary as detailed. On the other hand, I enjoyed the little story at the end. I'm going to buy the whole series except this book which seems totally useless in my opinion, but hey I had no other choice to read it since I put it in a challenge.

Ouff. Je dois avouer que c'était pénible à lire. J'ai même décidé de lire en diagonale ce que je ne fais
Faith Chapman
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Alright this is a really really good book to read once you've finished the Death Note series. It doesn't contain any more canon story, but it's full of character profiles and interviews with Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata (the writer and artist, respectively). These guys are now two of my favorite people.

In this book you will learn such things as L's real name *gasp* and other mind-blowing facts. Like the fact that Ohba didn't plan this series out at all before writing it.

WHAT. I know! How???

It
Charlotte Woodcock
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
So I've been "reading" this book for a very long time, but have ultimately DNF'd it due to taking so long to finish it. I have simply lost interest. When I had initially finished the Death Note manga, I was keen to absorb as much of the series' content as I could. Now, after spending significant time apart from the series I simply do not care what this book has to say. I believe I have read enough of it to give it a rating, and what I did read just didn't seem to add to my knowledge of
♡Kayla♡
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, fantasy, horror
This was a pretty cool addition to the Death Note experience. Other than some character profiles, a timeline, and other tidbits that just go over things that a reader would most likely know, we also get some really interesting interviews with the creators, funny little four panel comics, the pilot chapter that started it all, and even a silly quiz to see which character you're most like. I really enjoyed this, and I think any fan of the series will as well. (You also learn L's true name!!!)
Sam
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is just a side book of the Death Note series containing character profiles, interviews with the authors and what I believe to be the original one-shot that got the series serialised (Don't quote me on that, I could be wrong). It is a book for the crazy fans of the series who would devour anything in their path for more and also people who find the lives of the authors or want to know more about the origins and creation of the series.
Overall all, it was a good collection, I, who loves
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Death Note: Another Note - The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases
  • Death Note: L, Change the WorLd
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: The Abducted Alchemist (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 7 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #7)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 18 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #18)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 15 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #15)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 12 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #12)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 16 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #16)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 24 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #24)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 25 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #25)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 3 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #3)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 17 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #17)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 23 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #23)
  • 鋼の錬金術師 27
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 26 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #26)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 13 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #13)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 19 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #19)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 22 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #22)
Tsugumi Ōba (Profile in Japanese: 大場 つぐみ), born in Tokyo, Japan, is a writer best known for the manga Death Note. His/her real identity is a closely guarded secret. As stated by the profile placed at the beginning of each Death Note manga, Ōba collects teacups and develops manga plots while holding his knees on a chair, similar to a habit of L, one of the main characters of the series.

There is

Death Note (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (Death Note, #1)
  • Death Note, Vol. 2: Confluence (Death Note, #2)
  • Death Note, Vol. 3: Hard Run (Death Note, #3)
  • Death Note, Vol. 4: Love (Death Note, #4)
  • Death Note, Vol. 5: Whiteout (Death Note, #5)
  • Death Note, Vol. 6: Give-and-Take (Death Note, #6)
  • Death Note, Vol. 7: Zero (Death Note, #7)
  • Death Note, Vol. 8: Target (Death Note, #8)
  • Death Note, Vol. 9: Contact (Death Note, #9)
  • Death Note, Vol. 10: Deletion (Death Note, #10)