Start by marking “My Perfect Life” as Want to Read:
My Perfect Life

My Perfect Life

4.57  ·  Rating details ·  343 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
In this vividly imagined continuation of her immensely popular Ernie Pook series, extraordinary cartoonist Lynda Barry chronicles the trials and tribulations of Maybonne and her sister, Marlys, as they struggle through their teenage years. Line drawings.
Published April 1st 1992 by Harper Perennial

To ask other readers questions about My Perfect Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Perfect Life

Jan 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who believes in comics as literature.
One of Barry's very best comic strip collections, this one from 1992. Contains the brilliantly written longer story "The Most Obvious Question," a dark, heart-breaking tale of an attempted family reconciliation that fails. I've never forgotten it, and this is probably the book in Barry's oeuvre that I've most gone back to.
Julie Ehlers
Dec 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Lynda Barry is queen of the world.
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Loved this book when I was a teen and first learned about it thanks to Sassy magazine. Thanks Sassy! You made sure that I was ahead of the curve/weird while growing up in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.

Anyway, this book, the graphic novel of a girl named Maybonne, holds up really well. It's still relevant, feminist and funny. I'm guessing the themes in the book are issues that teens still have to deal with today.
Elizabeth McDonald
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I'd seen Lynda Barry's "Marlys" comics in the Funny Times newspaper, which is why I checked this book out of the library. This book is a sort of coming-of-age story told in comic-strip form. (It actually is more like a series of comic strips than a graphic novel; I suspect they were originally published serially in some periodical.) The art is busy and casual, and the storytelling is quirky, stream-of-teen-consciousness. It's mostly about the female narrator trying to figure out friendships and ...more
Wow - Maybonne was never my favorite character of Lynda Barry's (after all, teenagers, when portrayed honestly, are rarely likable), but this book really turned her around for me. It begins with Maybonne as a little energetic and idealistic - shades of Marlys - and ends with a view of her as she is in the comics today: jaded, melodramatic, and withdrawn. And it's all very authentic: the bullying, the awakening sexuality, the struggles with family, the drinking, etc. It's difficult to read at tim ...more
Dec 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
I've recently been going through Lynda Barry's work and really dig the honesty she reaches in pictures and words. I had to stop while reading this book because of an intense scene with the main character in some real peril. Anything like that makes my stomach churn. There needs to be warning labels on books for this. But otherwise, reading this book let me re-experience those sad and confusing feelings of being a teenager, but I guess in a safe way. We are all survivors of our teen years.
Dec 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: darlings
Lynda Barry is a genius. Marlys and Maybonne will break your heart. These books saved my life in early high school.
Aug 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I read this one the most of all the Maybonne & co. books.
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comix, women
MAYBONNE FOREVER. I so want to see what Maybonne is like as a grown-up lady. I hope she is happy and living her right on dreams.
Jul 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I would read this on the train and laugh out loud.. while people looked at me like I'm crazy.
David Jay
Aug 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I would like to be the President of the Lynda Barry fan club!!
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow this book is really special. It is the first thing I've read that captures exactly how it felt to be a 13-14-15 year old girl. The things we went through... I LOVE Maybonne.
Jun 24, 2007 rated it liked it
The lighter side to "Cruddy". This always takes me back to the pre-teen time in my life. Juniour high school and all the desperation and humiliation that goes along with it.
I love Lynda Barry's story-board format. I am actually looking over this work as a tool to try and figure out my own concepts for a comic strip/zine.
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fans of Lynda Barry will probably love this one - not as grim or uncompromising as "Cruddy" or "The Freddy Chronicles," but I can't think of any other writer who gets inside the mindset of a teenager as well as Barry.
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Brilliant. I'm a teenager again reading this with all the cringe worthy poor self-esteem that that age contains.
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
TypicAl brilliant Barry
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I think I would have appreciated this book more when I was a tween/in middle school.
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Anything by Lynda Barry is priceless.
May 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
people keep telling me to read lynda barry, but her fiction must not be what they meant.
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
I loved this so much.
Diane Fraser
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The highs and lows of adolescence, of unstable family, of friends and change. Another masterpiece by Lynda Barry.
Jul 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
a teenage fave
Oct 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Pretty keen light reading, poignant moments coming from classic idiocy on the part of gals in high cshool relationships (ouch).
Mar 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Intense with an undertone of miserable. This book can truly draw out all of the ugliness in life but Lynda Barry manages to hold a little spark of hope for Marlys and Maybonne.
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Linda Barry is like magic and definitely who I want to be when I grow up. This book has everything in it a book should have - and her artwork is amazing!
Oct 19, 2007
Desiree Mae
Aug 20, 2012
Oct 28, 2012
Gretchen Bily
Jun 07, 2015
Jun 18, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Lève ta jambe, mon poisson est mort! (Lift Your Leg, My Fish is Dead!)
  • Akbar and Jeff's Guide to Life
  • A Child's Life: Other Stories
  • Cancer Made Me a Shallower Person: A Memoir in Comics
  • Invincible Summer: An Anthology, Volume II: Issues 9-14
  • The Summer of Love
  • The Indelible Alison Bechdel: Confessions, Comix, and Miscellaneous Dykes to Watch Out For
  • Lena Finkle's Magic Barrel: A Graphic Novel
  • 100 Crushes
  • Love and Rockets, Vol. 6: Duck Feet
  • How To Be Happy
  • Essential Wolverine, Vol. 2
Lynda Barry is an American cartoonist and author, perhaps best known for her weekly comic strip Ernie Pook's Comeek.
More about Lynda Barry...
“If I could only turn the etch-a-sketch of my life upside down.” 11 likes
“On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to god and my country but it might not be the same god as the god of the church and I might not be digging on the message of the president because the windmills of his mind are cracked on a lot of subjects concerning people.” 4 likes