Jump to ratings and reviews
The remnant of Glenrock has been scattered. But they are not beaten.

The Safe Lands have long kept the true meaning of Liberation secret from their people. But after being sentenced to Liberation themselves, Mason and Omar soon discover the truth.

Levi watched his brothers' public sentencing and tries to hold out hope they are still alive. He is forced to focus his attention otherwise, however, when his new wife, Jemma, is captured and made the Safe Lands' newest Queen. His only choice to save Jemma may be to take up Omar's old role of undercover vigilante, leading the rebels in their quest to overthrow the government. But will Levi's new role be enough?

Meanwhile, Jemma's sister, Shaylinn, is ready to give birth to the "Safe Lands'" children ... but not even Ciddah is sure they can be delivered safely in the midst of a rebellion. And Mason must face the fact Omar's illness could be fatal.

If they can all unite their efforts, together they may be able to expose the Safe Lands' lies to the people. But if they fail, they will all surely die.

392 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jill Williamson

49 books1,413 followers
Jill Williamson is an award-winning fantasy and science fiction author of over twenty books including By Darkness Hid, which won several awards and was named a Best Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror novel by VOYA magazine. She has also written several books on the craft of writing and teaches at www.GoTeenWriters.com, one of Writer’s Digest’s “101 Best Websites for Writers.”

Jill's author website.
Jill's Amazon Author page.
Jill's Instagram.
Jill's Facebook page.

Follow Jill on Pinterest.

Click here for a FULL LIST OF Jill's BOOKS.

Writing books:

Newest Series:

Thirst Duology

Fan favorites:

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
8 (2%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 69 reviews
Profile Image for Leah Good.
Author 2 books178 followers
August 30, 2014
The long awaited finale. I was so excited to read this book! I also had to get to it fast because my brother (who is in college) commanded me to finish it by the weekend (I got it on Thursday) because the weekend would be his only chance to read it.

I loved this entire series and Rebels was no exception. Everything felt so real. Real people, real struggles, real problems, real difficulty solving the problems. It's easy to relate to the characters' struggles to serve God in spite of the corruption and moral depravity surrounding them.

That said, this is a book (and series) for mature teens only. Subject matter includes substance abuse, forced in vitro pregnancy, and a character being assaulted by homosexuals in his bunkhouse (though, thankfully, it's an unsuccessful assault).

You might wonder why I, as a very conservative reader, am okay reading this book. One simple reason. Evil is evil and carries appropriate consequences. Period. The lines between good and bad are not blurred. While Jill isn't afraid to include the above subject matter, she portrays it appropriately. Evil is real, it's bad, and it needs to be fought. Her heroes are true heroes because they understand and act on that.

DISCLOSURE: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.
Profile Image for Gillian Adams.
Author 7 books512 followers
February 7, 2015
A great ending to a great series. Rebels takes you on a whomping good ride as the "rebels" of the title work to untangle the many secrets of the Safe Lands and expose the corruption once and for all. Williamson made me care deeply for each of the three brothers in a different way, but Omar really started to shine in this book. I went from kinda despising him in the first book, to watching him fall on his face again and again in the second and wishing he could just pull it together, to totally rooting for him here in the third. I liked both Mason and Levi, but it was Omar's transformation that really stood out to me and made this book shine.
Profile Image for R.S. Carter.
Author 3 books76 followers
December 24, 2014
It's the end of the Safe Lands trilogy and I'm completely satisfied. This is a Christian series but it isn't sugar coated by any means. There's murder, executions, sex, prostitution, drugs, promiscuity, deadly viral infections, corruption, government lies, and conspiracy. As far as young adults books series go, this one doesn't take the "clean and family-friendly" route.

And it's one hell of a ride.

To be honest, I'm not religious. And although this is Christian fiction, my spiritual orientation nor political leanings did not interfere with my COMPLETE FASCINATION with this series. The world-building is off-the-charts insane and the characterizations of the three brothers (our main protagonists) is so well done that I feel like I actually know these fellas. They are so different, with each facing unique challenges. Marvelous construction.

If you love dystopian fiction, pick this series up - no matter your creed. It'll rock you.
Profile Image for Alexa.
651 reviews35 followers
October 31, 2014
Actual Rating: 4 1/2 starts out of 5.
As with Captives and Outcasts, the plot of this book was well-written, well-paced, and just plain wonderful. The various storylines of action and mystery built brilliantly on the former novels, winding up, then down, to a perfectly epic ending.
I adore the characters. Seriously, they're awesome. Just beautiful people. I have thoroughly enjoyed going with them on their journey, so much that I don't want it to be over. If Mrs. Williamson ever adds another book to the series (pretty please with whipped cream and sugar and whatever else you want on top?), I will be first in line to buy a copy.

If you wanna know more about what I thought, you can find a more in-depth review at http://thessalexa.blogspot.com/2014/1....
Profile Image for (Jen) The Artist Librarian.
342 reviews32 followers
November 12, 2014
4 1/2 Stars.

The ending of a trilogy can be a tricky thing. Sure, the first entry is important: It has to set up the story, setting and introduce characters. Then the sequel normally builds on that and usually ends on a cliffhanger or sets the scene for the climax: the final third of the story. This important entry is responsible for wrapping up the plot and giving readers the payoff, the finale, the conclusion. Ideally, the ending meets expectations to a satisfying finish, leaving readers on a high note. Done incorrectly, it can end up being a letdown to what was otherwise a great series. For the most part, Rebels, the finale to Jill Williamson’s Christian YA Dystopian trilogy is the former.

One of the things I always enjoy about Jill Williamson’s books is her world building. Similar to Veronica Roth’s Factions or Suzanne Collins’ Panem, Williamson’s dystopian civilization has eerie connections to our contemporary world. It is easy to picture our society going too far in certain directions to lead us to something similar to the Safe Lands. The technology and fashions are a mix of futuristic and old industrial depending on whether outside the Safe Lands or within. Little idioms and jargon such as “raven” for “handsome,” “femme” for “female,” or “SimTap” (a Bluetooth-like system) makes you feel immersed in a familiar, yet unfamiliar world.

The main action in this book moves like a spy or espionage plot. It culminates with a twist I didn’t foresee and brings a satisfying end to the Safe Lands rebellion. The final three chapters wrap up the stories of the main characters. I would call these semi-satisfying because of course I would have loved more closure or a more finite “happily ever after” to certain relationships. However, if Williamson had done this, I think it could have come off as too contrived, so even though I wish it otherwise, the ending is much more realistic and stronger as is. I look forward to see what Jill Williamson dreams up next.

*Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review, which I have done.*
Profile Image for Janie Johnson.
867 reviews130 followers
December 10, 2014
I got this book through Book Look Bloggers in exchange for an honest review. This is the third book in the Safe Land Series. On my quest to review this installment, I did not have time, nor the opportunity to read books one and two so this on was a little confusing with the setting and all of the characters. I know my experience with this book will be better once I can read the other books.

In this third installment of the series Mason and Omar discover the true meaning of Liberation, a long time secret that the Safe lands have kept from the people, and it is not all it is cracked up to be. They go on a quest to spread the information they have gathered and lead the rebels to overthrow the government, with the help of some very interesting characters.

I did really enjoy this book even though I started with the last one first. But there was enough action and excitement to push me to read books one and two in the near future. I thought the beginning of this book was a little slow to start but gradually picked up making it a very interesting read and it became quite engaging. The imagery of the book was quite good which made the read very visual for me, I really enjoyed that.

Since I don't have a lot of backstory for the characters in this book, due to reading only the last one, it really has affected my take on the characters and making it confusing for me. But even though there were so very many characters to sort through I really did enjoy them, I think they were developed quite well. All of them far from perfect and quite flawed. I think once I read the first two books the characters will be even more enjoyable for me.

I am giving this book 3.5 stars and I recommend this book to anyone who likes Dystopian, apocalyptic, or fantasy novels. I think it is really well written with many different elements to keep it interesting. I look forward to reading books 1 and 2 in the near future.

Profile Image for Alyson Schroll.
9 reviews2 followers
December 8, 2014
I was very upset when I was too busy to read this awesome book straight through. Rarely can I start and stop a book over a long period and still remain interested and excited to finish. Rebels kept my hard-to-earn attention over a period of a few months.

This end to a series had the perfect balance of story. It gave me the satisfaction of the end of a series while still giving hints that the story of the characters continue. Not many series' that I've read have done that successfully, in my opinion.

Williamson's plot was complex and unexpected at times, yet she did a great job at answering the appropriate questions about the characters and storyworld. And if you read the first two books, you began this book with extensive questions. By the end, all the questions were answered or no longer important to the understanding of the story.

Again, I'll say how much I loved the characters and their interactions. Williamson does a phenomenal job presenting actions and consequences. Many of the characters made mistakes, but they all had to deal with the consequences of those mistakes, a concept not present in many modern stories.

I am amazed by the complete worldviews that Williamson developed. The story wasn't just about the members of a village fighting for their freedom against the members of a city. She constructed an worldview in opposition to the village complete with a theology, biology, ethics, government, philosophy, and sociology. Without spoiling the end, Williamson handled the conflicting worldviews incredibly well.

My love for the characters, the story, and the battle of good versus carried completely through this series as Rebels closed out the trilogy wonderfully.

Profile Image for Lekeisha The Booknerd.
928 reviews107 followers
August 30, 2016
I skimmed through the first two books in this series, just so I could read this one. How is it that I hardly know all the things about these characters and every key point of this world, but I liked this book? This has happened to me before, twice. I agreed to review this because I love Dystopia/Post-Apocalyptic stories. Nowhere does it say that I must read all the books in a series to enjoy it. Now, guess what I’m planning to do on my holiday break in December? Yes, read the first two books fully because I just want to know how these characters started out and the things they went through. Still, this review will be already posted so my thoughts on the previous ones will be moot by that point.

I loved the action and the realness of the characters. These 3 brothers are the epitome of heroism. Their struggles to maintain their faith while dealing with evil is all too real. My soft spot was held for Levi, of course. It goes to show that one will stop at nothing to protect the ones they love. Yeah, love conquers all. The action and arising problems flowed well within this story. Now, this is Christian Fiction, but nowhere did the author hold back on details pertaining to subject matters that are often not easily seen in books of this genre. Well, not the ones that I’ve read anyway. Do I think that this was a great ending to the series? I can’t answer that at this time. But, I do think this is very worth reading, especially if you are a fan of dystopia.
Profile Image for Jane Maree.
Author 2 books93 followers
September 3, 2018
Rebels is a wild climax to an amazing series! The tension was so real in this book and I couldn't put it down. This might be my favourite of the trilogy.

A moment for the characters. They were all so amazing. Each one has a personality and a personal goal and struggles and problems of their own that were just so real.

I started off the series hating Omar for what he'd done, but his transformation was heart-wrenching and beautiful. I also really loved how Mason showed how strong he was, despite the fact that everyone thought he was the weaker brother.

The plot was just great from head to toe. A couple of lovely twists in there, and all the amazing finale climax I was hoping for.

It was almost sad to see the end, partly because I wasn't expecting it to be finished when I turned the page and saw the discussion questions. But also because I just loved this story and these characters so much.

Definitely recommend for 15+

Content guide:
Profile Image for Abbi.
298 reviews
October 29, 2015
I'm kind of ashamed by how long it took me to get around to reading this book! It has been on my shelf for months but since it didn't have a date for when I had to get my review up I kept setting it aside for review books with tour dates. But I finally got caught up a bit and I quickly devoured this book! I'll probably be keeping this review pretty short since it is the third book in the series and I don't want to spoil anything!
I once again loved all of the characters and it was fun to see how this next chapter in their lives played out. There were several interesting turns along the way, many of which were unexpected. Jill Williamson did a fantastic job with the unique world she created and I was once again impressed by her attention to every detail.
I was sad to say goodbye to Levi, Mason, Omar, and everyone else but it was a good ending and I'm looking forward to reading more of this author's books!

I received this book free from the publisher in exchange for my review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.
Profile Image for JoJo Sutis.
Author 1 book42 followers
September 30, 2014
I have so many wonderful things that I love about this book, I don’t know where to begin! What a ride! What an amazing end to a fascinating trilogy.

Oh, there were many times along the journey that I didn’t think our characters would make it. So much heart ache, so much loss and yet so much hope. How does a person make it living in The Safe Lands? Count your blessings! This story is such a glorious reminder that even in the darkest of times, hope rises on the horizon in all of its brilliance!

I saw the strong themes of forgiveness throughout Rebels, some characters were granted forgiveness and others were not. This causes me to look in my own life and mend bridges…not an easy thing, but a very freeing thing!

I really hate to see the series come to an end and am keeping my fingers crossed that we’ll see something more from these characters in the future!
Profile Image for Michelle Griep.
Author 33 books2,000 followers
December 15, 2014
Ahhh. Hear that? It's a satisfied sigh. Rebels ties up all the loose ends into a tidy little bow on a gift of a story. There are a few plot twists and turns I didn't see coming, but thankfully no characters that I adored were killed in the process. If you know of a teen or young adult who loves dystopian, I recommend this trilogy.
Profile Image for John Otte.
Author 17 books109 followers
September 16, 2014
A great conclusion to a great series. I love the way that Jill drew all the threads together and wove them into a satisfying ending. It's not necessarily all "happily ever after," but the book and characters come together for an ending that left me smiling.
Profile Image for Chris.
35 reviews3 followers
April 21, 2014
My favorite of the trilogy. Definitely catch this one when it comes out!
Profile Image for Rivalie.
587 reviews44 followers
March 7, 2015
Received a copy from the BookLooks Blogger Program - this did not impact my review/rating at all

Rebels follows three brothers, Mason, Omar, and Levi and their fight against the government of the Safe Lands. Levi has just witnessed his brothers receive Liberation and has no idea if they are even alive, but he has bigger problems on his hands - such as rescuing his wife who was just kidnapped and made the new Queen of the Safe Lands. In Liberation, Omar and Mason discover the meaning behind the program that liberates men and women above a certain age and criminals and it's not a happy picture. Luckily, they're not alone and have a group of rebels who are slowly growing stronger to fight against the system.

So I started Rebels back in December and I actually got through a good third of the book before I started struggling. The beginning of the story definitely engages the reader and does a pretty good job summarizing the events that happened at the end of the second book. As I did not read the first two books, I had a little bit a trouble connecting with the characters, but I found that action of the plot made it easier to read despite not really clicking with the characters. I think I had the biggest problem with the middle because it was all building up towards the action packed ending where everyone is reunited and the Safe Lands government is overthrown. I had settled into a rhythm in the first third of the book so I felt a bit slumped when the anticipation/plot building began in the second half. However, once I pushed through, the last part of the book flew by fairly quickly.

As far as characters go, I can't say I have a favorite brother, but my heart definitely reaches out towards Omar the most. He's got this spirit in him to fight back against the government while his own body is weak from dependency on a type of drug and sickness. Despite his physical weakness and his moments of hopelessness, he still manages to fire up the rebels with his rebellion image as the Owl. Mason is kind of the nerdy one there with his ability to create things that help with the rebellion. I personally think I like his relationship with his love interest the most just because the world is pretty much against them, but they're both willing to sacrifice so much for their cause. Lastly, there's Levi and he's this guy who was forced to grow up. I'm not sure about his exact age, but I keep making some of the girls older and then realize that they're 15-17. He's got a whole lot of weight on his shoulders, but you can tell that he's a natural leader and it's hard not to admire his resistance.

Overall, the story wasn't bad, it was actually pretty entertaining to read once I got over the hard parts, but that is all my fault as I didn't do my research ahead of time. I'm still debating if I want to go back and read the first two book, but if you have read the first two book, I definitely recommend it because the ending was pretty action packed and satisfying.

Read my reviews at:
Profile Image for Shannon McDermott.
Author 11 books169 followers
September 30, 2014
At the ripe old age of forty, all the citizens of the Safe Lands are “liberated”, sent by their government into Bliss. No one is certain what, exactly, that means, but Omar and Mason are about to find out. “Find pleasure in Bliss,” the liberator says, but it won’t be easy.

Meanwhile, in the Safe Lands, the subversion of the Glenrock exiles and the separatist Kindred continues.

Rebels is the final book of the Safe Lands Trilogy, written by Jill Williamson. This dystopian series, set fifty years and more into the future, is intended for teens but suited for older audiences, though not necessarily younger ones. Williamson deals with heavy themes, such as addiction, temptation, and promiscuity.

As the last book in its series, Rebels delivers on the promises of the preceding books, unveiling long-maintained mysteries and bringing character arcs to realistic and satisfying conclusions. I thought Williamson showed very good judgment about what, in the story, needed to be solved or answered, and what could be left open. Not everything was absolutely concluded, but the story ended with a sense of completion. It’s a fine line for an author between a story that feels unresolved and a story that feels like it goes on after the book is closed, but Williamson managed to walk it.

There were some twists in this book. I liked the surprise role of Luella Flynn, and the idea of the truth as the “lynchpin”. The truth is dangerous to a society built on lies.

However – and I need to turn on my SPOILER ALERT here – I thought it strange that such a controlling government did so little to keep the truth from coming out. Could no one think to cut the power to the ColorCast? I also think Rebels would have done a better job of selling the downfall of the Safe Lands government if it had evoked more powerfully a sense of chaos in the city. It mentioned riots – but only briefly, and only after the climax was over. If our heroes had confronted the Ancients while the city was engulfed in riots, it would have made the rulers’ capitulation more believable, and the story itself more exciting.

Now, SPOILER ALERT OFF.

The level of typos in this book was, for a professionally produced book, high; I don’t know if the publisher had a too-tight deadline or a shortage of copyeditors, but I suspect the problem goes beyond this particular novel. I noticed errors in the last book I read by this publisher, though notably fewer.

Rebels is a strong conclusion to the Safe Lands Trilogy, bringing the characters to complex, realistic fates and completing the Safe Lands as a convincing, chilling dystopia. Recommended, with its preceding books, to readers of sci-fi and dystopian.

In conjunction with the CSFF Blog Tour, I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.
Profile Image for Jalynn Patterson.
2,104 reviews30 followers
September 11, 2014
About the Book:

In this third book in the series of fantasy/dystopian novels from award-winning author Jill Williamson, three teens must try to hold on to their values amidst the subjugation and lies of the government.

In this final novel of the Safe Lands series by Jill Williamson, Mason and Omar discover the true meaning of Liberation-a secret the Safe Lands have long kept from their people-but find they are trapped in the low lands with this crucial information. Meanwhile, Levi is forced to turn his attention elsewhere when his new wife, Jemma, is captured and becomes the Safe Land's new queen. His only choice to save her may be to take up the role of undercover vigilante that Omar began, leading the rebels in their quest to overthrow the government. But will that be enough to expose the Safe Land's lies and bring freedom to the people? And will they even want it if it comes?

About the Author:

Jill Williamson is a novelist, dreamer, and believer. Growing up in Alaska led to love books, and in 2010 her first novel, By Darkness Hid, won the Christy Award. She loves working with teenagers and gives writing workshops at libraries, schools, camps, and churches. Jill lives in Oregon with her husband and two children. Visit Jill online at www.jillwilliamson.com

My Review:

After Omar and Mason's public trial, they were sentenced to Liberation. But coming to Liberation, it didn't quite turn out how they expected and it's time for the Safe Lands to know whats going on. Levi devastated by his brothers sentencing but he is more concerned about his wife Jemma. Jemma having been captured during a rescue mission at the herum, is made Queen of the Safe Lands. Levi has vowed that he will get her back no matter what it takes.

Shaylinn is about to pop because she is expecting twins, but they seem to be coming too soon. Mason uses his liberation for the best, by trying to find a cure for the disease that is running rampant in the Safe Lands. But on the quest for a cure he finds something he didn't expect. Levi gets a knock on the door one day and imagine his surprise when it's the Owl. He shows up because he needs to share what he has learned about the government there. They turn to an unlikely allie who will hopefully help them. But can they trust this allie not to turn them in to the enforcers?

Jill Williamson has really got a knack for books and writings such as these. My daughter absolutely loves her to pieces and begs me to get her books to review. She is a big hit! I hope she never stops writing books!

If you would like to purchase this book follow this link.

**Disclosure** This book was sent to me free of charge for my honest review from CSFF.
Profile Image for Jillian.
57 reviews
October 3, 2014
After loving the first two books in Jill Williamson's dystopian trilogy, I was so excited to read this final installment…and now that I have, I can safely say that this is one fantastic book series. This novel finally reveals the secret of Liberation as it follows brothers Mason, Levi, and Omar in their rebellion against The Safe Lands. Filled with action and suspense, the story grabbed me from the first page and would not let me go. I finished it within two days.

It's hard to determine what I like best about this novel: the characters or the theme. All the characters are so real and relatable. Each has their faults, which makes them feel even more real to the reader. My favorite character is still Mason because of his compassion and intelligence, although Shaylinn has become a close second. I also love the message of the entire series. After reading several of Williamson's books, I've noticed that she always weaves strong themes into her writing. She doesn't shy away from difficult topics but instead embraces them. In this novel, Williamson creates a corrupt society through serious issues such as drug addiction, teen pregnancy, and the government's deceit. She provides insightful social commentary as she draws parallels between our current society and that of the Safe Lands. As extreme as the Safe Lands society is, I couldn't stop thinking how close our own world is to falling into the same trap of corruption and evil as in the Safe Lands.

The only thing I didn't love about the book was that it had to end. I wanted to keep reading and find out what happens to the characters later in their lives. Even so, the ending does provide plenty of closure and satisfaction for the reader. I highly recommend this novel to all older dystopian and YA readers, probably around ages fourteen and above because of the mature topics dealt with in the book. I love how this book is so different from other books in its genre (Hunger Games, Divergent), yet it still appeals to fans of those same books. If you're looking for a great dystopian read from a conservative world view, definitely check this out!

Thanks to the author for providing a free copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.
Profile Image for Meagan Myhren-Bennett.
Author 12 books22 followers
June 3, 2015
REBELS
The Safe Lands 3
By Jill Williamson

When Captives ended Mason and Omar were about to be liberated and no one knew what liberation meant short of death. Shaylinn and Ciddah had been rescued from General Otley and Lawten Renzor.

And Mason and Omar are about to be liberated. Liberation is not what anyone expected. Good news Mason and Omar are not dead. Bad news they are separated from their family and friends. And they have to do hard labor in dangerous conditions. By helping Ciddah Mason made an enemy of Renzor, who is determined that Mason will continue to pay for his error. Omar is still Omar and even in his liberated state he can still find trouble. But liberation has a few surprises in store in the form of the formerly liberated.

Meanwhile those Outsiders who have manage to align themselves with the Naturals (aka Kindred) have hidden themselves beneath the city. But differences of opinion are sure to arise among this vast and varied group of individuals who feel strongly about their beliefs.

Can the lies that the Safe Lands has been perpetuating for years be revealed? Or have the lies been so firmly embedded into the Safe Lands way of life that they will never believe the truth?

But help comes in an unexpected form. And this could be the catalyst to change the future and allow the Safe Lands to open their gates.

I still don't like Levi - he just sort of grates on one's nerves. He's of the opinion that he is right and everyone else needs to fall in with his thinking. Fortunately he meets someone among the Kindred who could very well give him a run in the superior attitude he has.

Omar still draws my sympathy, though he is in definite need of an intervention (which just may happen). Mason is still my favorite brother.

I think as far as characters go Shaylinn grew the most throughout the series. I will miss them all and hope that at some point in the future we may revisit this land as they recreate what they once had.

I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher Blink my honest review.
Profile Image for Sharon .
40 reviews2 followers
November 15, 2014

In this final novel of the Safe Lands series by Jill Williamson, Mason and Omar discover the true meaning of Liberation-a secret the Safe Lands have long kept from their people-but find they are trapped in the low lands with this crucial information. Meanwhile, Levi is forced to turn his attention elsewhere when his new wife, Jemma, is captured and becomes the Safe Land’s new queen. His only choice to save her may be to take up the role of undercover vigilante that Omar began, leading the rebels in their quest to overthrow the government. But will that be enough to expose the Safe Land’s lies and bring freedom to the people? And will they even want it if it comes?

About the Author:

I didn’t get the opportunity to read the first two books in the series but after reading this I bought eBook copies and loved loved loved the entire series! I’m on this dystopian kick and even though it wasn’t as good as Divergent series it in my opinion was better than the maze runner series! To all you dystopian lovers out there… get them before they get to hot!
Profile Image for Laura Grace.
Author 9 books181 followers
September 17, 2014
I can't believe this series is over! Can I take a moment and admit that I have might have teared up when finishing up the last chapter? "Rebels" was a GREAT conclusion, but I'm so sad to see these characters go! They have all been through a lot, but they still held onto their faith or found faith through it all!

In "Rebels" Jill tied up all the loose ends from book two and finally revealed what liberation was! Gasp! I had an idea of what it might be and was sort of right, but didn't quite realize the full extent of it all! Plus there were even a few twists thrown in there that kept me on the edge of my seat!

Aswith the second novel in the series, "Outcasts," there was another gentle spiritual message weaved throughout this one. I really love the redemption theme as well as loving others who hate/don't love us. Jill did a wonderful job of fully showing just what that means too!

Despite the sadness I felt at the end because these characters stories are done being told, I loved the adventure this novel took me on! It was awesome to see the journey of these three brothers and their growth spiritually, emotionally, and in relationships/friendships. So glad I was able to read this entire series and recommend it to older teens. It's sure to give the reader an adventurous time!

*(I received this novel from BookLook Bloggers in exchange for an honest review! All thoughts expressed are my own and I was not required to write a positive review!)*
Profile Image for R.J..
Author 4 books53 followers
January 3, 2018
I received this book from the author/publisher for the purpose of this review. All comments and opinions are entirely my own.

In this final book to The Safe Lands series, the story of the brothers and their friends is brought to an end in an epic final!

Readers of The Safe Lands had better be ready for late nights, and especially so with this last book! The tension is present and unpredictable, the characters’ development is incredible as they apply the lessons they learned in the past book, and so much is at stake!

The content that young readers may need to be aware of is the referral and use of alcohol as well as drugs, by the main characters. There are also plenty of sexual references, comments, and temptations for characters who struggle with lust (no scenes), and there is an appearance of a gay man. The violence and tension is present, but not enough to be concerned about.

To make something clear, this is a Christian series and though all of the above is present, it is not mentioned in a way that makes the readers think that it’s cool. This is a Dystopian novel which means that these elements are present to create a world that is terrible, and these things are betrayed as such. Many readers may learn how to fight the temptation based on how these realistic characters fight them.

I do highly recommend this entire series, and I specifically give Rebels 5 out of 5 stars.
Profile Image for Tamara Georges .
18 reviews
November 13, 2021
This book was a great ending to a great series. The characters were memorable and creative as well as easily relatable. Like I said with Captives, this book shows what our world could become if it continues in sin. The story is told in a very striking and realistic manner and not lacking in drama.
Although this book has a lot to say about sin and it's consequences, it doesn't fail to show the hope Christ gives to those who trust in Him. There are mistakes, but everything is brought back to forgiveness.
The love between some of the characters is a Christ like love, burning strong through disappointments and failures, unlike most popular books in this category. It's extremely encouraging to know that there are Godly books depicting Godly character out there. This is one of many that I have found recently.
I thought Jill ended this book on just the right queue. She didn't completely finish the story, but she gave you enough to feel satisfied. And although I did end up wishing for more, I knew that if I got more I would probably end up feeling disappointed.
Profile Image for Rebecca.
187 reviews11 followers
March 17, 2020
I would say Omar deserved none of this, but...he did kinda ask for it, so.

Anyway, despite pretty much nothing about it being even a little bit My Thing, I quite love this trilogy.
Profile Image for Kristen.
434 reviews11 followers
September 17, 2019
I am very sad that I am done this book as I really wanted to see what would happen to Levi & Jemma and his other brothers. I felt like I grew to really know them as characters during the course of the three books.

I also greatly enjoyed the development and explanation of life in the Safe Lands and finding out what liberation really is - I admit to not really having any guesses. The use of the chips to track people seems a little too close to what is starting to happen in the present, real world which makes this series of books an interesting read.

I recommend the Safe Lands series.
Profile Image for Karen.
200 reviews9 followers
March 13, 2022
What a fantastic conclusion to the Safe Lands trilogy. Secrets are being exposed, truth is coming out, we find out what liberation is finally. About what I figured actually. I appreciated seeing the characters working through there issues and the way everything was wrapped up at the end.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 69 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.