Start by marking “Alien: Sea of Sorrows (Canonical Alien trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Alien: Sea of Sorrows (Canonical Alien trilogy, #2)

Alien: Sea of Sorrows

(Canonical Alien Trilogy #2)

As a deputy commissioner for the ICC, Alan Decker’s job is to make sure the settlements on LV178 follow all the rules, keeping the colonists safe. But the planet known as New Galveston holds secrets, lurking deep beneath the toxic sands dubbed the Sea of Sorrows.

The Weyland-Yutani Corporation has secrets of its own, as Decker discovers when he is forced to join a team of
Published July 29th 2014 by Titan Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Alien, please sign up.
Martin No, but the main character, Decker, is a descendant of hers. She is mentioned several times.
Elyse "According to Aliens, Amanda at some point married, taking on the surname McClaren, but had no children - that fact may, however, be a lie as Ellen…more"According to Aliens, Amanda at some point married, taking on the surname McClaren, but had no children - that fact may, however, be a lie as Ellen had no other children and Alan Decker is said to be a descendant of hers and the only place he could come from is Amanda." Or it's a plot hole. *shrug*(less)

Start your review of Alien: Sea of Sorrows (Canonical Alien trilogy, #2)
Sinisa Mikasinovic
I've been looking for this!

Ever since I started this series, though horribly out of order, I get goosebumps whenever someone mentions aliens. Of any kind :)

Not sure why Audible came up with such an unusual publishing plan, but I don't care much. Reading the series out of order just made those "A-ha!" moments that much better.

Weyland-Yutani Corporation is at it again. Sending people in blind, requesting they get the "specimen" back. Preferably alive. This time they even have a plan on how to do
Emma
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
Now as a book i'm not sure this would have worked for me, even though it had more plot than I was expecting and linked really well to other offerings in the universe. It's pretty basic and has some questionable dialogue. But as a dramatised audio, it was just right- any cheesy bits add rather than detract from the experience. From the motion sensors to hissing aliens and automatic gun fire, it dings all the audio bells so loved in the films and sets your mind's eye alight. Extra points for the ...more
Kaisersoze
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Though this is the second in a new trilogy of novels set in the Aliens universe, Sea of Sorrows only ties in with Tim Lebbon's opening novel Alien: Out of the Shadows insofar as it has a common setting. But the action takes place about 300 years after the events of that novel, ensuring there are no repeat characters to follow along for the ride. Instead, we get Decker, who, as the blurb reveals, is a descendent of Ellen Ripley. This means that the Aliens harbour a particularly impressive grudge ...more
Sabrina Grafenberger
This book was a lot better than the disappointing Alien: River of Pain.

My only real criticism is that we didn‘t learn anything new about the Xenomorphs. The story takes place 300 years in the future and pretty much nothing has changed. Facehuggers impregnating victims can only be an exciting revelation so many times.

I recommend listening to the full-cast audio production instead of reading the novel. The cast delivers a great performance, especially Stockard Channing as Andrea Rollins. I never
William M.
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
James A. Moore, best known for his horror novels Blood Red, Deeper, and the Serenity Falls trilogy, tries his hand at writing his share into Alien cannon. Unfortunately, after reading Tim Lebbon's excellent book one in this new trilogy, Alien: Out Of The Shadows, this entry was a substantial letdown and really doesn't add anything we have not already known about the Weyland-Yutani Corporation and very little more about the Alien mythos.

We do learn, however, that the Aliens have a more advanced
Michael Hicks
[Updated 5/3/2018]

Having now listened to the Audible Original Drama adaptation of James Moore's Sea of Sorrows, I've bumped up my rating to four-stars. The Dirk Maggs production was, in my opinion, a significant improvement over the prose novel. As with the prior two Alien Audible Originals, Sea of Sorrows is performed by a full cast of actors, including Stockard Channing, complemented by sound effects and musical score. And like the prior two entries, it sounds freaking incredible and makes for
Gerhard
Feb 27, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f, 2015
While Tim Lebbon’s Alien: Out of the Shadows was a halfway decent stab at recreating one of the greatest SF horror franchises on the page, James A. Moore’s Alien: Sea of Sorrows is thoroughly disappointing.

Perhaps the keyword lies in the word ‘franchise’: it is clear that all of these authors, despite their credentials as accomplished horror writers in their own right, have produced these novels to some corporate plan (call it the Weyland-Yutani way) rather than being told to follow their
Michael Bates
Oct 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own-a-copy
Geoff
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Liked this so much it got a five star review.
The plot, the pacing, the characters... everything gelled.
This is how military sci-fi/horror should be written.
Highly recommend.
Neil
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
one of the better alien novels i have read, ok at the start messy middle good end.
Stephan
May 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: crap, aliens, horror, sci-fi
Decker, an descendant of the legendary Ellen Ripley, is forcibly recruited to aid a bunch of mercenaries on a quest to capture a live Xenomorph.

All in all I can't say I enjoyed this novel. It started fairly well with quite an interesting character. Including a psychic empath was an interesting idea and it added an extra dimension to the story. The way he was forced to help Weyland-Yutani was very grimdark and it added a lot to the atmosphere of the novel.
Other than that there's not really much
Brian Taylor
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is my first experience reading a James A. Moore book. I can't imagine how difficult writing, and staying faithful/true to an already established franchise like ALIEN must be. My hat goes off to Mr. Moore for pulling it off rather well.

A quick note, this book stands on its own. You don't need to have read Tim Lebbon's OUT OF THE SHADOWS (although I would recommend you give it a go, especially if you love the ALIEN franchise).

I'm not going to lie, I almost stopped reading this book after
Lacey
I enjoyed reading this book. It's about a man named Decker who is an ancestor to Ellen Ripley. He also has empathic powers, and is tortured by nightmares of big black creatures that want to kill him. The aliens know somehow that he is related to "the Destroyer" as they call Ellen Ripley, and a lot of their hatred is geared towards him, with a need to wipe him out before he can them.

They end up on New Galveston which is a mining place for Weyland-Yutani, and the soldiers use Decker and his power
Quiet
Jun 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
“Alien” is a horror franchise.
“AlienS” is an action franchise.

The author doesn’t know that.

The first in these original novels, “Out of the Shadows,” was a phenomenal book that captured the spirit of Alien perfectly. You’ve got the insurmountable titular Alien, and common folk trying to make do. There was your Android, evil corporate figure, and all the rest of the franchise staples, WHICH IS WHY WE READ THESE. It’s a franchise series; we come for what we expect and like, and the first of these
Jonathan Maas
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A master class in action-oriented SciFi from James A. Moore

It is often easy to overlook these types of books as genre fiction or books for hardcore fans only.

What people forget is that when franchises anoint a novelist to write these things, they often go for Bram Stoker-award winning writers like James A. Moore.

I am reminded of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Price of Freedom by A.C. Crispin - Disney had a franchise, they went for the best in Crispin, and the book is beyond incredible.

I'm also
Satu Suomi
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Gillian Kaney
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Very sad to say that I found this to be a major drop in quality compared to Out of the Shadows and River of Pain. The story was bland with none of the characters we were invested in. but the worst thing for me was actually the voice cast. they were all just void of emotion unlike the other casts and Dekker who was the main character was the most annoying of all of them which really didn't help. I didn't really feel invested in anyone until right at the very end when a sacrifice was made.
I will
jas
May 03, 2018 rated it it was ok

I'm cheating a little bit, because I am dnf-ing this book but considering it as 'read'.
I got halfway through it and decided I would do myself a favour and read a brief plot summary, once I quickly realised that the rest of the book didn't have much else to offer.
There's only so many times you can read about a bunch of grunts who you don't care about being killed off in the same ways as those before them.

I liked how it started, I liked that the protagonist was an empath, and I liked
Chris
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it
It was well-written and had some good set pieces, but it felt like I had seen it all before, from the cannon-fodder grunts to the smarmy exec who gets his comeuppance. It was almost like a re-hash of ALIENS, just set a few hundred years in the future with a different planet.

I liked how it came back to the planet from the first novel written by Tim Lebbon, with the crashed ship being a bit more centre-stage.

I enjoyed it, but it could have been so much better.

I'm looking forward to book three,
Charles
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I liked this quite a lot. Plenty of action and some good alien type gore. The story reminds me quite a bit of the second movie--Aliens. There's a somewhat similar set up and the character of Willis here reminds me of the Burke character in the movie. There are mercenaries, many of whom used to be Colonial marines. Clearly there's room for a sequel here, though I don't know if one is intended. Good stuff.
Tasha
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No where near as good as the other books in this series. And how do the Alien’s know that Decker has some of Ripley’s 300 years ago DNA? That’s like homeopathy and I’m not buying it. Plus the other characters aren’t well developed so care very little about them. I’m assuming their guns are more advanced and that’s why they manage to kill so many aliens?
Pickle.
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Impressively produced dramatised audio version. Pretty cheesy in parts but an interesting addition. A little more fun than the two most recent Ridley Scott films - recaptures some of the camaraderie of Aliens (1986).
Darren
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
TITLE: Alien: Sea of Sorrows
AUTHOR: James A. Moore
GENRE: Science fiction
PAGES: 292
In 1979, director Ridley Scott released his movie Alien with the tag line “In space, no one can hear you scream.” Cinematic history was made, several sequels were done, a few video games made, comic books were made, books were written and there was a team up of sorts with another science fiction creation, Predator. What the movies all had in common was a fear born of darkness and claustrophobia, and certain death
Ross Coulbeck
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another excellent edition to the Alien franchise. I must admit I was a bit worried when I read the description - Aliens swearing an ancient pact against Ellen Ripley (the destroyer) and all her descendants. But you'll have to trust me on this, it works. It isn't done in a silly way, it all makes sense in the lore.

Also a consequence of being unsure about this book, I put it off. In fact I read the third one first as it had a more conventional story line. That was a mistake. This book has a direct
Chris
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads, sci-fi, horror
This is my third in the Alien canonical series and it was quite good. Action scenes can be lost in reader’s theatre performances but it was pretty easy to follow what was going on her. Characterization was particularly strong and compelling. The best so far in the series. We also got deeper into the aliens—their thought processes and drives. When I finished tis I couldn’t help but think that there are so many stories left to be told in this franchise, like a prequel dealing with how the ...more
Jamesboggie
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I do not have much to say about Aliens: Sea of Sorrows. It is part of the canonical Alien series, meaning the plot was outlined by Twentieth Century Fox to make it part of the movie continuity. That plot is remarkably similar to the movie Aliens. Decker (a descendant of Ripley) is coerced by a Weyland-Yutani representative to join an expedition of mercenaries (mainly former colonial marines) to retrieve a xenomorph. There are not a lot of surprises in the story. It is straightforward science ...more
Jen
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Audible does a pretty good job with these short dramatizations. They follow the Alien formula faithfully, which is both great and annoying. The sound effects are the best part - it sounds just like the Alien movies. Casting is pretty good, although there were a few voice actors in this one that were a little wooden in their reading. Still, a fun listen for fans of the Alien movies.

Warning for adult language, violence, and subject matter.
Ursula Johnson
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible, alien-series
Elyse
Another enjoyable Alien audiobook. Though I'm definitely confused on where these fall in with the Alien movies. This one focuses on a descendant of Ripley (How? We don't know and it's never explained) and the same planet. A crew of mercenaries is sent to retrieve a live specimen of xenomorph. Naturally, chaos ensues. Stockard Channing voices a character. I read this for Seasons of Reading's SciFi (& Fantasy) Summer Readathon.
Nicky Gardiner
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Where to start?
I had read the previous book (Review is already on here) and I was apprehensive about reading that one, as in my experience movie tie in novels tend to be poor. It was surprisingly very good (see my review for it). So I couldn't wait to start reading 'Sea of Sorrows'.

My first little warning bell was the main character being called Decker.... instantly made me think of Decker from Blade Runner. I mean if you are writing a Sci-fi, you would tend to shy away from very established
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Aliens: Bug Hunt
  • Alien: Covenant
  • Alien
  • Alien: Isolation
  • Predator: Incursion (The Rage War #1)
  • Alien: Invasion (The Rage War #2)
  • Alien vs. Predator: Armageddon (The Rage War #3)
  • Alien: Prototype
  • Aliens: Earth Hive
  • Predator: If It Bleeds
  • The X-Files: Cold Cases (X-Files, #1)
James A. Moore is the award winning author of over forty novels, thrillers, dark fantasy and horror alike, including the critically acclaimed Fireworks, Under The Overtree, Blood Red, the Serenity Falls trilogy (featuring his recurring anti-hero, Jonathan Crowley) and his most recent novels, seven Forges, The Blasted Lands, City of Wonders , The Silent Army and the forthcoming The Gates of The ...more

Canonical Alien Trilogy (3 books)
  • Alien: Out of the Shadows (Canonical Alien Trilogy, #1)
  • Alien: River of Pain (Canonical Alien trilogy, #3)
“It felt oily in his mind and left an aftertaste in his soul.” 5 likes