Start by marking “Saving Lucas Biggs” as Want to Read:
Saving Lucas Biggs

Saving Lucas Biggs

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  1,846 Ratings  ·  366 Reviews
When thirteen-year-old Margaret's father is unfairly sentenced to death by the cruel Judge Biggs, she is determined to save him, even if it means using her family's secret-and forbidden-ability to time travel. With the help of her best friend, Charlie, and his grandpa Josh, Margaret goes back to a time when Judge Biggs was a young boy and tries to prevent the chain of even ...more
Published April 29th 2014 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Saving Lucas Biggs, please sign up.

Jeannie
Jul 22, 2016 rated it liked it
My son asked me to read this so we could talk about it, that makes my heart happy and so I did.
Bethe
4.5 stars. Great beginning with Margaret receiving devastating news in 2014. Josh has a shocking start to a new stage in life in 1938. One person ties these 2 characters' lives together, can they save him? Love the alternating POV, authentic voices to their eras, and a sprinkle of time travel! Storytelling excellence!
Brandy Painter
Originally posted here at Random Musings of a Bibliophile.

I admit to being a sucker for time travel novels even though I end up actually liking very few of them. I liked Saving Lucas Biggs by Marisa de los Santos and David Teague.

This is a review of the ARC received from the publisher in exchange for a fair review.

This book sucked me in in the best of ways, I wasn't expecting that to be honest. But from the first sentence I was hooked, and I could not put this book down. This is how the story b
Mary
Imaginative time travel mystery told in alternating voices. de los Santos and Teague do a great job weaving the time travel into their compelling narrative about a young girl reaching back into the past to fix the future. Brave characters, lyrical storytelling, and a wonderful message.
Lila Kims
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: magical-realism
3.5 stars!

This was a light read but also a deep read. How does that work, you may be wondering? I don't know, but somehow it does.

This book was just really lovely. <3
Rosi Hollinbeck
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My review from the San Francisco Book Review:
Margaret can’t believe what she hears when Judge Biggs sentences Margaret’s father to death. Arson? Murder? It simply isn’t possible. Everyone with a brain had to know her father didn’t do this. But it seems very powerful people are arrayed against him. One couldn’t live in Victory, Arizona, or know the name Victory Fuel without realizing where those powerful people resided, and one of them sits before them all in his black robe with a gavel in his ha
Lauren
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read a book called Saving Lucas Biggs by Marisa de los Santos and David Teague. The main character’s name is Margaret. Her best friend in the book is named Charlie. Margaret’s father has just been sentenced to death by Judge Lucas Biggs for murder. Margaret does not believe her father is guilty of the crime. To be able to prove him innocent, she will have to use the family’s secret talent, one she’s been forbidden by her father to use.

The book takes place in the mining town of Victory, Arizona
Kelsey!
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: juvenile
In the time it took a man to speak a single sentence, I discovered three things: there's a reason a judge's robe looks like the Grim Reaper's; a blooming jacaranda tree can feel like a big fat slap in the face; and there is such a thing as a silent scream.

That first sentence makes this book sound amazing, but it's only downhill from there. For a book about a time-traveling 13-year-old, there wasn't a lot of time travel and it wasn't very interesting.

The characters weren't terribly exciting and t
Marne Wilson
I enjoyed this book immensely, and I'm not even a little embarrassed that the back cover says "ages 8-12." Honestly, though, that seems a little young to me. My stepson is 8, and although I think he could read all the words, he's nowhere near ready to read something as subtle and sophisticated as this book. Thinking back, I probably would have been ready at about age 9, but I was a precocious reader. That being said, readers mature enough to grasp this story will find much goodness here. It went ...more
Wendy
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely beautiful book! Luminous descriptions, memorable characters, and an active plot about Things That Matter. My favorite kind of fantasy where magic slips in to realistic settings in a way that feels like it really could happen. I also loved the emphasis on family and friendship and the unabashed affirmation of goodness in this MG book. Finally, Marisa de los Santos knows how to write about stars!
The Reading Countess
It had such great possibility. Time travel, historical fiction blend, boy-girl main characters that would invite all my readers in...I'm not sure how this one was selected as a Bluebonnet title this year considering the amazing list of other titles collected. I had a hard time understanding what was going on and I am not the target audience. This one will both confuse and bore kids. I fought the urge to abandon it too many times to count.
Amy
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is so well-written. It has those sentences in it that you want to write down on index cards just so you can carry them with you everywhere. You can pull them out and reread them to prove that language can be beautiful and expressive. I am looking forward to more joint ventures from this couple. Thank you for sharing these characters with me.
Rachael Wilson
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elm-335-wow
"Saving Lucas Biggs" is a fantasy/science fiction book, read as an e-book, that documents Margaret O'Malley's fight to save her father. She uses the family secret of time travel to go back in time to try to alter actions that could lead to helping her father. This book touches on character trait topics while also helping students learn about history.

This book would be great for teaching students about fighting for what they believe in. Margaret wanted to save her dad, so she was constantly look
Katherine Pershey
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So good! Can’t say much because spoilers, but listening to this was like opening one great Christmas gift after another, it was so rife with stuff up my alley. I love great YA lit.
David Kinchen
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
BOOK REVIEW: 'Saving Lucas Biggs': Can Time Traveling Change the Outcome for a Doomed Man?

REVIEWED BY DAVID M. KINCHEN

Margaret O'Malley, the feisty protagonist in "Saving Lucas Biggs" (HarperCollins Children's Books, 288 pages, $16.99, suitable for ages 8-12 -- and adults) will do anything to save her father from a death sentence….even if it means breaking a family taboo and traveling back 76 years to change history.

Authors Marisa de los Santos and David Teague, a married couple, are outstanding
Stephanie
This review and others are posted at Inspiring Insomnia.

Confession: I don’t read much middle grade. OK, any. Including Harry Potter. (I know, I KNOW.) But I’m a sucker for a good time travel story, and I loved the synopsis of Saving Lucas Biggs, a book that proved to be both moving and thought-provoking.

Margaret comes from a long line of time travelers. When the story begins, her father has been sentenced to a death by the crooked judge, Lucas Biggs, for a murder he didn’t commit. Margaret liv
Barb Middleton
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This story explores the self-delusion of a man, Lucas Biggs, and how it leads to his unhappy life. Bigg's self-justification and a series of bad decisions result in him leading a life as a corrupt judge and hateful person. Once, he was a nice boy. Once, he tried to do the right thing. But the desire for physical revenge, versus nonviolent civil disobedience, and his youthful ignorance led him down the slippery slope of wrong-doing. While the story is somewhat slow at the start and appears realis ...more
ALEXA
Jan 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
FIRST THOUGHTS:

4.5 stars. I really really really love how this was written. Plus, the theme of this story is pretty great too!

REVIEW:

Before I begin telling you about Saving Lucas Biggs, can we take a minute to marvel at how gorgeous this cover is? I'm really obsessed with the colors, and the whimsical look to it.

Saving Lucas Biggs was definitely a good read. The novel combined whimsical elements (the time travel) with more realistic ones (Margaret's father's current circumstances) in a really a
Tasha
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
When Margaret’s father is sentenced to death, she can’t believe it since she is certain he is innocent. But this is what happens when someone tries to stand up to the company that owns the entire town. It’s also the company that owns Judge Biggs. The only way that Margaret can see to save her father is to change Judge Biggs’ mind. According to Grandpa Josh, her best friend’s grandfather, Judge Biggs used to be a good person until his father was accused of murder and hung himself. The only person ...more
Luke Nelson
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
I liked this book enough to finish it, but I had a lot of problems with it. It might have partly been the narration, since I listened to the audiobook, but the main character thought in very flowery and melodramatic prose that seemed a little unrealistic for anyone, let alone a 13 year old. I get that she's depressed, but the language used in expressing it wasn't very believable to me.

I also had a hard time with various aspects of the premise. While the evil mining corporation abuses rights of
Nicole
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended for kids and adults alike! These are the books that reaffirm my love of children's literature <3 Time travel, hope, plans that didn't work, research at the library, friendship, nonviolent protest, and more - this novel has it all.

Tidbits that caught my eye:
"...a place isn't just a snapshot of itself in the present; a place is everything that ever happened in it."

"It was a cinnamon-scented day, the kind you slip into your pocket, carry with you when you leave, and never lose."

"I t
Nicole
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Saving Lucas Biggs by Marisa de los Santos and David Teague
Harper, 2014
Science Fiction
279 pages
Recommended for grades 5-8

If I wasn't responsible for reviewing as many books per year as I need to for my committee work, I'd start this one over again right now.
This husband and wife author team come from backgrounds of writing for adults and young children, and magic happened when they met in the middle.
A gorgeous story about a young girl willing to do whatever it takes to save her father's life aft
Debbie
Sep 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very cute and entertaining.

I had to keep reminding myself that the teenagers involved were only 13, however. They were super brave and intelligent which made for a great story, however, they seemed much older.

I was not that impressed with the method of time travel in this book. All the heroine does is lay down and concentrate. I like when there is a contraption of some sort, or maybe a black hole...

Another aspect of time travel that I always enjoy is when my character needs to try
Paige
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
This book was so touching! I admit the beginning was slow, but it started picking up after chapter 2. I loved how the authors put time traveling in this book, it really tied everything together. The character Margaret had a cute personality and really was one of those characters that you can't forget. I am not a big person on history, but reading this book surprisingly made me like history. Even though this book is fiction, the authors wrote this book so well that I actually thought it was real. ...more
Teresa Ellis
One thing that this book really impressed upon me is all the little goodness that people do: the wonderful math equation of all the little good things that add up to more than the bad things done. It is a book of hope and never giving up on someone you love. It does describe murders that happened in the book, but in emotional detail, not gore.
Half way through reading the book, I knew I wanted it in my personal library, because I knew I would want to revisit it. When I hear about bad things happe
Elyse
May 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Was overall pretty disappointed with this book. Being a big fan of Marisa de los Santos' adult fiction, of YA fiction generally, and of stories concerned with time travel, I expected big things from this. The characters were flat and underdeveloped, it was all resolved too quickly, I had felt as a reader that I had little investment in the characters and the lyrical almost poetic writing of de los Santos was entirely absent.
Lisa
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is an amazing book about history time travel, and the way we think about the past and the present.

I loved it!
This one quote sums it up for me:
For every big, bad attention-getting thing that happens, there are thousands of small good ones, acts that might even seem ordinary but really aren't, so many that we can forget to notice them or to count them up. But it's what has always amazed me: not how terrible people can be to each other, but how good, in spite of everything." p.211

Brooke Beeson-king
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this as an audio book which I think enhanced it even more. As the different narrators changed, so did the reader's voice.

This book had so many layers to it. Historical fiction was fantastically weaved with the fantasy of time travel and the mystery of solving the crime of Victory.

Great storytelling. Great word choice. Great theme. It was a fantastic read.

And the cover is pretty amazing, too. That took me a while to really see.
Hilary
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: msba-15-16, audio
So the story itself was pretty good, but I would not recommend listening to it on audio book. The woman who read Margaret was terrible. Her tone as she read had a constant sense of misery and foreboding, even when something was supposed to be funny. It took away from the story and was overall quite disappointing.
Amy
I was looking for a simple to follow soft fantasy that started with a bang and would engage impatient seventh graders (something like THE CITY OF EMBER) and instead I came away with a slower paced and somewhat difficult to track story.

I am not saying the book doesn't have its merits -- it's just not a book I am in need of.
52 weeks, 52 books: Week 2014.51: Saving Lucas Biggs 4 46 Mar 04, 2015 03:57PM
  • Quinny & Hopper (Quinny & Hopper #1)
  • Mountain Dog
  • Always, Abigail
  • The Vanishing Coin (The Magic Shop Book 1)
  • The Lost Planet (Chase Garrety #1)
  • Rutherford B., Who Was He?: Poems About Our Presidents
  • Flying the Dragon
  • The Lost Kingdom
  • Watch Out, Hollywood!: More Confessions of a So-called Middle Child
  • When the Beat Was Born: DJ Kool Herc and the Creation of Hip Hop
  • The Odds of Getting Even (Mo & Dale Mysteries, #3)
  • Something to Hold
  • Freaky Fast Frankie Joe
  • Half a World Away
  • Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer
  • The Scraps Book
  • Odette's Secrets
  • The Luck Uglies (The Luck Uglies, #1)
Marisa de los Santos is the New York Times bestselling author of LOVE WALKED IN, BELONG TO ME, FALLING TOGETHER, THE PRECIOUS ONE, and her newest novel, which continues with characters from the first two, I'LL BE YOUR BLUE SKY.

Marisa has also co-authored, with her husband David Teague, two novels for middle grade readers: SAVING LUCAS BIGGS and CONNECT THE STARS.

Marisa and David live in Wilmingto
More about Marisa de los Santos

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Third Kingdom (Sword of Truth Book 13)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Severed Souls (Sword of Truth)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Phantom (Sword of Truth, #10)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Confessor (Sword of Truth, #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #6)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Naked Empire (Sword of Truth, #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Debt of Bones (Sword of Truth)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Warheart: Sword of Truth - The Conclusion (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Omen Machine (Richard and Kahlan, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chainfire (Sword of Truth, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“The basic material of reality is all loosely connected and shifting, the tiny bits shimmering and scattering into holes that flash open and shut, blinking all around us.” 1 likes
“There is one Now: the spot where I stand, And one way the road goes: onward, onward.” 1 likes