Start by marking “Programming Interviews Exposed: Secrets to Landing Your Next Job, 2nd Edition (Programmer to Programmer)” as Want to Read:

Programming Interviews Exposed
2nd Edition

The pressure is on during the interview process but with the right preparation, you can walk away with your dream job. This classic book uncovers what interviews are really like at America's top software and computer companies and provides you with the tools to succeed in any situation. The authors take you step-by-step through n
Published April 28th 2007 by Wrox (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Programming Interviews Exposed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Programming Interviews Exposed

Start your review of Programming Interviews Exposed: Secrets to Landing Your Next Job, 2nd Edition (Programmer to Programmer)
Philipp
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun!

An introduction to job interviews for programmers, how to prepare, what to expect, and the "do"s and "don't"s. It begins with how to start your job-hunt, finding your strengths, updating your Linkedin (reasonable tips there!), and finding the job that suits you. Since programming interviews are often technical in nature, the majority of this book focuses on these parts. It goes over all the basic data-structures and gives you a couple of example problems from interviews for each structure. T
Ugur
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
Just like Cracking the Coding Interview, Programming Interviews Exposed is a great book to remember old topics. This book has less detailed examples but has much more detailed descriptions for the topics. If you want to revisit old topics, I advise you to read both books. This book can be the first one for your list because this will help you to remember and cover old programming topics. Then you can practice using Cracking the Coding Interview.
Reviewed on December 29, 2014
Overall: 4.0/5.0

Vladimir Fomenko
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The next day after finishing reading this book, I got one of the questions it mentions on the interview and passed. :)
Still works in 2016!
Vipin
Programming interviews Exposed, preparation is the first book that everyone should read if you are starting your preparation. the book is good at explaining pros and cons of different approaches and creating a mindset to approach the coding problem.

But this book is not good if you have good enough background in coding preparation then I will suggest you go for Cracking the coding interview or Programming interviews in java which build on the knowledge you gain from Programming interviews Exposed
Elias Daler
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing. It's pretty short, but talks about a lot of interesting things. The problems here are pretty easy most of the time, but I like how in-depth the thought process behind solving them is shown. I wish more books did that, as it nicely shows ways you can approach the problem and arrive progressively get your solution better.

The topics which are covered here are broad and interesting: not just data structures and algorithms, but also more practical things like databases, parallel
Barbara Notte
It's a good book, a good read. Time well spent, I'm sure i will be using many of the things I learned here in my upcoming projects.
Yevgeniy Brikman
An excellent resource to prepare software engineers for interviews. The book does a great job of describing the job application process, discussing how to approach the different types of problems, resume tips, and nontechnical questions. However, the book's bread and butter is a series of chapters devoted to numerous programming topics that you are often seen at interviews. These include recursion, concurrency, lists, trees and so on. Each chapter includes a nice concise overview of the topic, a ...more
Jordan Shelvock
This book has a very specific audience. Programmers who have either graduated or are about to and need to figure out how interviews work and how to prepare. It's helpful, I often review it before being interviewed to refresh on some concepts and to start thinking about how to answer common questions.
Amr Khaled
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As its title it is a great book for interviews, also I would recommend it as a read first before reading an advanced book in algorithms and datastructures. I gave it 4 stars because there are some topics that i wished to be covered to be complete like balanced trees and graphs.
An
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
A decent overview of the whole field of programming. It's not very in-depth, nor does it have a lot of exercises. It's just what I needed - something to help me review the sum of my knowledge and how it might be queried in an easy to digest format.
Piotr P
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read before an interview!
It's a very brief and compressed knowledge often needed for interview in IT and programming jobs. Although it doesn't contain broad explanation as CLRS, it can help arrange knowledge and be prepared for the common types of questions.
Landon
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book helped me land a job at Amazon straight out of college. I recommend it to everyone who's interviewing with large technology companies.
Fab
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great fit for fresh grads
Matt
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Programming Interviews Exposed is a good book for gearing up for a technical interview. I liked that the structure guides readers through important core computer science topics, starting with the foundations of data structures and algorithms. The advice was practical, well written, and easy to learn.

The authors offer sample problems along with detailed explanations of how to solve them and sample code solutions. I thought the code solutions were a bit too terse for my taste, but I think the goal
Francis
Jul 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent quick review for technical interview preparation. It has pleasant and readable summaries of essential CS topics likely to come up in an interview like linked lists, binary search trees, OO concepts, brainteasers, and also very valuable advice for how to conduct oneself during a technical interview. There are lots of solved problems and excellent discussions of approaches and techniques for handling those problems.

The only thing I could complain about is that perhaps thi
Kate B
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are going for a job in a tech/software company, you should read this book, even if the position is not directly programming-related. It helps you get into the mindset you need to have if you're going to be interviewing with Microsoft, Amazon, Google, etc.

The meat of the book describes various concepts that are often asked on programming interviews like data structures, arrays, strings, etc and provides sample questions with detailed answers that are a good refresher on CS concepts that y
Spencer
May 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
I can't recommend this book enough. It's concise and full of useful advice. Typically the authors chose the correct language for the examples. That can be tricky to do correctly. Other good books on the subject go wrong there.

It is good they included the section on puzzles and other bullshit questions. I'm glad to see that trend on the decline, but you never know when one of those could sneak in to an interview.

This book is also a good roadmap for conducting a useful interview. Focus on algorith
Chris Karpyszyn
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
I would recommend this book to any programmer. Primarily this book is to prepare you for a technical interview. I would also tell any programmer to pick it up and go through the summaries and examples, especially if you are stuck in a job where you are only doing a specific task. This book opened up doors in my memory when it comes to certain things learned long ago in University. The best part is how the solutions are laid out. It steps through it slowly before giving you the best answer, givin ...more
Brian
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Programmers, Computer Science, Software Engineers
Recommended to Brian by: Google
This was an excellent book for reviewing basic programming concepts, data-structures, and algorithms. It did indeed very well prepare me for an interview with Google, along with a few other resources and practice runs.

I tried to pick up a few other algorithms or interview question books, but they all failed at delivering the same sort of thought process and walk-through of an implementation that this book did. Not only does it deliver the background information and reviews, but it goes about how
Ayberk
If you're just starting to practice, this is the best book for you. It doesn't have a lot of questions, but the explanations are thorough and it covers the fundamentals. Interviews have come to such a point that no book would be enough, but as a start this one is as good as it gets.

Make sure you give a genuine try to the questions and understand how authors approach the problems. Then go pick CTCI and EPI, work through them as well and hope during the interviews they don't ask "I don't want to
Mike
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
This book is an indispensable tool in any technical job search. Since I discovered it I'm sure to review it anytime I start a job search. Even as a seasoned developer reviewing fundamentals is essential & it gets my mind in the right frame for answering whiteboard questions. After working through the problems a few times I've found a quick skim is all that's needed to reactivate the necessary synapses. ...more
Erica
Nov 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provided a really good review of the kind of stuff you learn while getting a computer science degree but may be a little rusty on later in life. My one complaint is that it's pretty light on the C++. Pretty much the only chapter that is C++ is the one about linked lists. The rest is C# and Java. A lot of the stuff is more focused on algorithms so it's pretty language-agnostic but it would have been nice to at least cover i.e. thread synchronization in C++.
Noel
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than I expected. Saw many of the book's sample questions used in real interviews. Chapter on non-technical questions is a little weak. Amazon, for example, emphasizes "behavioral questions" to probe leadership skills. There's also no coverage of open-ended problem-solving questions like "how would you design car software" or "how would you debug a website." Despite these shortcomings, still a very decent read both for candidates and interviewers.
Jack Hwang
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In general, a good coverage about programming interview questions from basic to mid level. It touches more generic questions (i.e., more likely to be asked) than those tricky ones in the book "Cracking the Technical Interview".

However, one shortcoming is that the authors tried to explain the thought process step by step. It's way too tedious. Come on, we are all professionals and do not need the hand holding teachers who are more likely to be appreciated in those "For Dummies" books.
Jonathan
Sep 03, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: software industry interviewees and interviewers
Shelves: cs
Useful when preparing to be interviewed and when preparing to interview others. It's surprising how many times in interviews I've been asked coding questions that appear in this book (or slight variations of them).

If you went through a decent CS undergrad program, you won't find anything too surprising in here, but it is a good refresher on some common interview problems.
Jean Tessier
Quickly read through it, skimming most of the non-puzzle stuff and skipping the language-specific section altogether.

Fine for college grads in their first interviews. The questions were too simple to really assess a candidate to a senior position. Nice sample of interview puzzles, though.

I keep recommending it to people who need to prepare for technical interviews.
Kate
Feb 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have an older copy (John Mongan and Noah Suojanen only). It's a pretty good start but I think 'Cracking the Coding Interview' has better advice (maybe it's unfair because my copy of the latter is more up-to-date. Even if you aren't interviewing both have good tips for conducting interviews also.
Andrew Pham
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science
The book is structured very well with each topic (arrays, linked list, graphs, etc.) explaining the core concepts and later applying these concepts to solve challenging programming questions. Questions are not simply given answers to, the author walks through the solution from brute-force to optimised with an attention to detail.
Geetima Rai
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though the problems in this book are low-medium difficulty, it is a must read if you wish to brush up on the infinite topics before the interviews in little time. Very easy to understand. Can be practically finished in a couple of days. Fewer number of questions, but an in-depth analysis helps you understand the approach to solve the tougher questions.
Julie
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good refresher on some basic data structures, algorithms and computing concepts ; more approachable than the more academic books. The problems tend to go from "oooh interesting" to "why the hell would anyone *ever* want to implement this like that?!", but that is the nature of technical interview questions.

• Cracking the Coding Interview: 150 Programming Questions and Solutions
  • A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide)
  • Head First Java
  • Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Poverty
  • Food Rules: An Eater's Manual
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • The Algorithm Design Manual
  • Head First Object-Oriented Analysis and Design: A Brain Friendly Guide to OOA&D
  • Catching Fire: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »