Start by marking “Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Delicious Cheeses” as Want to Read:
Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Delicious Cheeses

Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Delicious Cheeses

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  2,114 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
The classic home cheese making primer has been updated and revised to reflect the increased interest in artisanal-quality cheeses and the availability of cheese making supplies and equipment. Here are 85 recipes for cheeses and other dairy products that require basic cheese making techniques and the freshest of ingredients, offering the satisfaction of turning out a covete ...more
Published October 14th 2002 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Home Cheese Making, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Cheese Making

Bill
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book on how to make cheese! Outstanding starter book on cheesemaking! My only complaint is that her enthusiasm for making cheese lead the reader to make cheese more difficult than there experience should allow. Specifically, making hard cheeses requires commitment to following her recipes EXACTLY; when it says raise the temperature 2 degrees every 5 minutes for 30 minutes, she means it!

Mandi
Jun 04, 2011 added it
Shelves: mandis-shelf
This feeds the rebellious spirit in me that says "I can do it myself, AND I can do it better!" Can't wait to get the basic supplies and try making my own aged cheddar, gouda, parmesan, ect. ect... ( :
Ana Mardoll
Dec 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ana-reviewed
Home Cheese Making / 1-58017-464-7

I bought this book planning to start making my own cheeses. The book is a fascinating read and is very easy to read and understand. The pictures are clear and precise, and I actually feel that I understand what is going on in the pictures (not often the case with do-it-yourself books!). The recipes (of which there are many) are fun to read and are interspersed with little testimonials of people who have found the joy of cheese making - and, in many cases, have m
Michael
Sep 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I have only worked on some of the fresh cheeses. The frustrating thing about this book is that for some recipes she is incredibly detailed ("increase temperature a degree a minute", "press at X pounds of pressure for X amount of time", and so on), and at other times she is incredibly not detailed leaving you wondering what the heck you're supposed to do, most notably in the recipe for ricotta salata ("put a saucer or glass of water on top", saucers and glasses of water do not weigh the same, "ag ...more
Taylor
Apr 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have a new hobby. Inspired by Barbara Kingsolver's chapter on cheese making in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, I checked out the "Cheese Queen" Ricki Carrol. My own little pound of Queso Blanco is safely in the fridge awaiting dinner. I'm totally hooked.

Carrol's style of writing is straight forward and enjoyable, her instructions are good (though I wasn't sure how long to wait for the "curds and whey to separate", and I think the result is wetter cheese than I wanted), and the concept enchanting.
Kelly
May 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I make my own yogurt now, and it's delish! And I've tried the mozarella, but the milk I used didn't turn out quite right. This book is great for giving you all the info you need to get started and to also helps get over the initial hump of "I couldn't possibly do that!" I think that I will probably only ever make a few of the simpler recipes out of this book, but there are enough recipes in here that I could work my way up to cheese artisan some day, no doubt. Also for the science geek in me, it ...more
Emma
Mar 21, 2011 rated it liked it
She really is the cheese queen - but some of the recipes don't match to the recipes on her website, creating confusion as to which version to use, and I wish the book had more pictures (which is why I mainly use the website). There are some recipes that are lacking in detail, and I end up referring to her website for clarification. Good book, could be better. Will be more useful when I get out of the beginning stages, perhaps?
Frank Weever
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funky-liscious
Overall, the plot was pretty thickening. I gained quite a few pounds there, but the character arc got through it all with ease and a slight tang of a moldy cellar in Rome. Still, I wish someone had told me about the cheese cloth, I was shocked. Truly, it should have an R rating for that one scene with mozzarella...oh, baby...
Kandise
Jun 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great resource for a nascent interest. Ricki's instructions are clear and easy to follow, and her discussion of the history and process of cheese making manages to be both interesting and funny, which I'm sure was no easy feat. Very accessible, I think we will buy this.
Linda
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Love it. Anyone can make cheese and you don't necessarily have to have a cow. Soft cheeses (cottage cheese and ricotta) are easy for beginners but there is a 10 minute mozzarella recipe that is superb. Haven't gotten up the gumption to make hard cheese yet but when the cow calves next, I'm in.
Carrie
Sep 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
It might be a stretch to call a book on cheesemaking a cookbook, but it's definitely a fun read, and has inspired me to (Semi-successfully) make my own cheese. I made the 30 minute mozzarella and it came out pretty well, but I don't think I let it set up firmly enough. I'm ready to try again!
Ann G.
Jan 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is the cheesemaker that Babara Kingsolver visited in Animal, Vegatable, Miracle. It is and easy to follow book and we have had complete success with our cheesemaking!
Amy
Oct 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book has made me fitter, happier, and more productive.
J Grimsey
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read all have made 4 cheeses 3 successful one not,
William Hults
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book for cheese making. Provides lots of information about milk, supplies, and materials. The added bonus is the recipes.
Frank
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good assortment of cheese projects for difficulty and range of interests. Instructions and explanations are pretty clear.
Kaycee Stewart
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great cheese recipes....easy to understand for a novice.
Sandra Lassiter
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love cheese! I am a died-in-the-wool, certified cheeseaholic. Needless to say, I was very excited to get a book about making cheese myself! You can find everything from the very simple with little or no equipment or special ingredients needed, to the more complex cheese that need special ingredients, equipment and even storage.

Whole Milk Ricotta is probably the easiest to start with. It's fairly quick with no real special equipment needed other than cheesecloth. I have made this many times. T
Naomi
Mar 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: instructional
We have this book and have made a few of the soft cheeses from it so far and plan on trying a hard cheese soon.

Some other cheese making books that are also good, though we haven't made any cheeses from them are:

- And That's How You Make Cheese by Shane Sokol - smaller and a bit less detailed than the other books but easy to follow and read. Makes cheese making sound easy to try - which it is.

- Making Great Cheese At Home by Barbara Ciletti

All three of these book cover basically the same cheeses,
HB
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Definitely the place to start for first-time cheese makers! Great overview of the basics of cheese making, necessary equipment, and why various ingredients are important. Read the first few chapters and make notes on things that pop out as important, like "don't use ultra-pasteurized milk"; these aren't always listed again in the recipes. Start with the lactic cheese, which requires very few pieces of equipment (and you probably have something that will work for each in your kitchen already), an ...more
Aug 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I have a number of soft cheeses such as ricotta, cottage cheese/farmer's cheese and paneer in my homemade cheese arsenal but this book delves even deeper.

This book covers ingredients, equipment and technique followed by how to make a variety of cheeses from soft, hard, italian, whey, bacteria-and Mold-Ripened cheese, Goat's milk and even a section about how to make butter, ghee and buttermilk (among other items).

Thirdly, this title covers how to serve, enjoy and cook with cheese with a small sel
Melinda
Aug 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: do-it-yourself folks
Shelves: homeschooling, foodie
We are using this book right now to experiment with raw milk. Today we learned our first lesson -- if the recipe gives you temperatures in farenheit, it is best to use a thermometer that is calibrated for farenheit. We accidentally used a centigrade thermometer and got the milk fairly hot! Alas. But so far our queso blanco smells good and brief tastes have been yummy.

This book seems to be "the cheese-maker's Bible", and I would agree. All questions we had were answered in this book. I'm going to
A.M. Johnson
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you are tempted to make you own chess(even a little bit) then this book is a necessity..
Ricky Carroll has a way of making even the most difficult cheese seem easy enough to try and with her guidance they are..
within a week of owning this book i had made cream cheese, Colby and farmhouse cheddar...
I will be going back to this book forever...
beautifully set out with lovely hand drawings and well written instructions...
would have loved to be able to rate this more stars, as 5 does not seem enoug
Colleen
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I bought this book with the author's basic cheesemaking kit at my local home brew store. The information in the beginning was very good, and there is an excellent variety of recipes. This is an excellent addition to the minimal instructions in the kit (though the box refers you to their also highly informative website). My first attempt was a failure but I was armed with information and see exactly what I did wrong and am eager to try again.
Cristin
Sep 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Ok, maybe there is something in the water up here in Portland that makes you want to get in touch with nature -- but after reading 'Animal, Vegetable, Miracle' -- the urge to learn from the cheese lady was too irresistable. Try the '30 minute mozarella' recipe. Yes, you can make great mozarella cheese in 30 minutes, no kidding! It is also a good lesson about our milk supply. Have you noticed to increase of milk that is ultrapasteurized? Do you think this is a good thing? Think again...
Vicky
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
My only disappointment after reading this was that cheese-making is more equipment- and time-intensive than I was hoping. But it did get me really excited about making cheese, so I'm almost certain that it's in my future... someday.

Paul and I started talking about owning goats. What is happening to us?
Bob
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hands down, the "go-to" book for making cheese. Great basic explanations, equipment lists, ingredient info, and every recipe you could want.

I made the '30 minute mozzarella' last night and it was excellent. (not to mention it really did only take me 30 minutes the first time).

I got this from the library but I"ll be purchasing it soon.
Elie
Jan 09, 2012 rated it liked it
I am going to really enjoy learning from Carroll's in-depth instructions for making cheese, since I have access to raw goat and cheese milk (which I intend to pasteurize...). Still, I didn't realize that it was so kit-based, or that I'd need so many special-order starter cultures to make at least 80% of them, and this--since I live in West Africa, without postal mail--is disappointing.

Erin Hames
Jul 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This cookbook is really amazing because it tell you how to do something I would never dream of doing myself - until now! I actually made mozzarella! The information is presented in a format that even a complete beginner can understand along with stories from actual professional cheese makers. I have enjoyed reading it as a book and not just using it as a cookbook.
Serge Pierro
Jul 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: food-and-wine
Good book for the beginner on cheese making. Lots of recipes and background info. However, the book seems to lean towards the purchase of "kits". It would have been more interesting if the process wasn't so reliant on mail order purchases. Having said that, the basic cheeses that I made came out wonderful!
  • The Home Creamery: Make Your Own Fresh Dairy Products; Easy Recipes for Butter, Yogurt, Sour Cream, Creme Fraiche, Cream Cheese, Ricotta, and More!
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits  Vegetables
  • Put 'em Up!: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook, from Drying and Freezing to Canning and Pickling
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation
  • Home Dairy with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Cheese, Yogurt, Butter & More
  • The Joy of Pickling: 300 Flavor-Packed Recipes for Vegetables and More from Garden or Market
  • Putting Food By
  • Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects
  • Artisan Cheese Making at Home: Techniques & Recipes for Mastering World-Class Cheeses
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods
  • Ball Blue Book of Preserving
  • Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation
  • The Encyclopedia of Country Living
  • The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Delicious Recipes to Use Year-Round
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook

$12.99 $1.99
  • Who Gets What — and Why: The New Economics of Matchmaking and Market Design
  • The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures
    $19.99 $1.99
  • The Relationship Cure: A 5 Step Guide to Strengthening Your Marriage, Family, and Friendships
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Without a Doubt
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Trip to Echo Spring: On Writers and Drinking
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Paris Letters
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Secret History of the Mongol Queens: How the Daughters of Genghis Khan Rescued His Empire
  • Fear: Essential Wisdom for Getting Through the Storm
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation