Start by marking “Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero” as Want to Read:
Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

(Pacific Rim)

PACIFIC RIM: TALES FROM YEAR ZERO serves as a prequel to the highly-anticipated motion picture -- Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures Pacific Rim. Chronicling the very first time Earth is menaced by incredible monsters known as Kaiju, these inhuman beasts rise from the ocean depths and threaten to extinquish all mankind! Witness the race to develop massive robot fighting ...more
Published June 18th 2013 by Legendary Comics (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Pacific Rim, please sign up.
Theo Yep! It's a quick read but it covers the events from K-Day to the film.
Meg by Steve AltenJaws by Peter BenchleyThe Trench by Steve AltenBeast by Peter BenchleyThe Beast of Cretacea by Todd Strasser
Sea Monster Books!
119 books — 198 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothThe Transfer by Veronica RothThe House of Hades by Rick RiordanFangirl by Rainbow RowellThe Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks
2013 Book
190 books — 167 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero
Forrest
Aug 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
"When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit... we will kill it."

I rarely read graphic novels, but just now I am a fan of (read: "obsessed with") the movie "Pacific Rim," so anything which further develops that world is a must-read.

This prequel comic was written by PR creator/screenwriter Travis Beacham with input from director Guillermo Del Toro, so it's as canonical as you can get. The story fills in a lot of details from the early days of the Kaiju conflict that are just
Gianfranco Mancini
3,5/4 stars
Nice prequel to Del Toro's movie.
Art is not much good, but the three stories inside showing the start of the Kaiju apocalypse and the development of Jaeger project are really good and add much more background and depth to the already great movie (my inner child/geek/nerd loves it so much!).
And the comic version of Idris Elba's character is just perfect.

Read it if you liked watchin'the movie and/or you are a fan of giant mechs fighting monsters.
Jaegers are mechs, not robots: robots
Jenny / Wondrous Reads
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Tales From Year Zero is easily one of the best graphic novels I've read for ages. Clever and gripping, it tells three prequel stories that all tie in to the new movie Pacific Rim, brought to cinema screens by Guillermo del Toro and Travis Beacham (who has also written this graphic novel). It's a fairly quick read but don't let that deter you: what you get here are three intelligent, masterfully drawn stories that are the perfect precursor to the film.

The three stories presented here, K-Day, Turn
Nikki
I wasn't such a big fan of the movie as my partner, but still, it was fun, and since she had the graphic novel... It's a nice glimpse into a bit more of the world, though it can't really satisfy all the questions you have. I liked the introduction, about making the world expansive -- the story fitting into the world, not the world into the story. Those are always the best stories.

The whole theme of love being what is necessary to fight the Kaiju is maybe the best thing about this movie and comic
Ebster Davis
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
After my little sister watched Pacific Rim, she gave me some food for thought.

She pointed out that the whole movie would have been completely different if Mako Mori had not been portrayed by an Asian female. At first I didn't understand. Mako is a cool female character and I'd like to think that she'd be the same person regardless of her race.

My sister told me to imagine her portrayed the way the actress from Star Trek into darkness was.

description

(I don't even know the character's name. Because she is
Hrishi
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Two things impressed me about this graphic novel, which serves as a stage setter for the movie "Pacific Rim" - the first, oddly, was the foreword by Travis Beacham, which is just passionate. This is clearly a labor of love! Secondly, the book suggests that while the central concept here is giant mechas beating up giant monsters, that isn't the complete story. Or perhaps that there is a story here, with proper characterization and plot and motivation. Hopefully the movie lives up to that promise ...more
Kogiopsis
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
I love Pacific Rim with all my heart, but I'd heard years ago that this graphic novel was just... not very good, so when I picked it up at the library to finally take a look, my expectations were low. And they were met at that low standard, sadly.

A lot of the best content from this graphic novel is stuff I'd already seen online - Tamsin and Luna, Tendo and his grandfather, the tiny glimpse we are given of Caitlin Lightcap. I was deeply disappointed that the graphic novel didn't really delve
Rick Silva
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a prequel to the film Pacific Rim. It does a great job of expanding on the backgrounds of the characters, particularly focusing on Marshal Stacker Pentecost.

We get to meet Pentecost's sister, a RAF fighter pilot on training in the US on K-Day, the date of the first kaiju attack on San Francisco. And we get to meet her wingmate, Tamsin Sevier, who goes on to become Pentecost's jaeger co-pilot.

The book covers Tendo Choi's experiences in San Francisco on K-Day, and introduces the woman who
Ren Puspita
When I watch Pacific Rim, I know that the movie will never become blockbuster. Simple, it's too silly, esp for USA audience (I'm not American BTW). Also apocalypse theme is kinda overused. But, surprisely, I'm enjoy the movie. Love the graphic, love Charlie Hunnam (ehm), and it's kinda remind me of my childhood that somehow delighted to see Ultraman beat the monster (haha)

Pacific Rim : Tales from Year Zero contain 3 part. First part told from Tendo Choi's view, about K-Day. That is when the
Elevetha
It was nice to get some backstory on how the Jaeger project came to be, as well as how they realized two pilots were needed. The only qualm I really had, other than that I pretty much hate all graphic novels and their illustrations and that Ralaigh and Yancey looked NOTHING like they do in the movie, was that, apparently *eye roll*, (view spoiler) ...more
SA
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My rating is skewed because I am IN LOVE with this 'verse. I wish this was like fifty pages longer, but I loved the lead up on so many of the characters, and the shading it gives to the actions and choices in the film. If Pacific Rim had been 2h30 instead of 2h, I bet we would have seen more of this, but fandom has given me a lifelong preparation to follow ancillary material wherever it goes. (Thanks Star Wars Universe!)

Definitely read if you're into PR.
Valéria.
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
A great prequel to the movie, showing us events from K-day to the film. Simply said, nice origins of the Jaeger program, the first kaiju attack. I liked artwork, especially pictures with kaiju. I will always love anything that is somehow connected to Pacific Rim.
c, (½ of readsrainbow)
icb this guy wants me to believe raleigh and yancy fought over a girl
Bara
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice tidbits to add to the worldbuilding.
Sara
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it
This graphic novel is the prequel to the movie Pacific Rim. I haven't seen the movie and I'm not sure that I will, but this was so colorful and intriguing I picked it up. Giant monsters are attacking the United States and giant mechs (mechanical men controlled by real people) are the only way to stop them but it seems to be a losing battle.

I enjoyed the introduction by Travis Beacham as he explained the creation of fantasy worlds for movies and stories. I was also very interested in the back
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
A prequel of sorts to the movie Pacific Rim, with the action taking place after the events of the opening scenes, but before the main part of the movie. I loved getting some background on some of the characters from the movie--especially Stacker Pentecost. You are also introduced to some new characters not featured in the movie, but who play a huge part in the creation of the jaeger program.

For such a short book, the stories really packed a wallop. The art was also quite nice--Though, at times
ambyr
I was excited by Beacham's introduction, which talked about the importance of depth in worldbuilding, but it may have raised my expectations for this book too high. This is a collection of vignettes, each so brief they didn't have time to illuminate much at all. And the longest one(view spoiler) ...more
Periklis
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-gn-s
As far as movie tie-ins go, this is a winner. While introducing us to the setting and characters of the film, the Original Graphic Novel tells four background stories of its protagonists. The art and storytelling work, although I won't be tracking down any of the artists' work. A very nice appetizer for Pacific Rim, hinting on major events...
description
Sara Saif
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-like-you-a-lot
I read it twice! The second time wasn't as much fun as the first time but that doesn't count. This was a prequel to the film's story. The past of the main characters; Mako, Raleigh, Yancy, Stacker, was shown. Plus, how the Yaeger program actually came about and which scientists were involved in it? I don't remember if there was anything about Herc and Chuck in it.
I have my fingers crossed for a sequel!
Hector Ibarraran
Aug 08, 2015 rated it liked it
This books is good. It isn't great, but it does have some amazing moments of brilliance that reminded me of World War Z. The art was good but not extraordinary. I would have loved a much longer series, but it was worth reading.
Michelle Morrell
The story of the first kaiju and the creation of the jaegers. Fills in a lot of what was just hinted at from the movie. Best part? All the kids in the house read it from cover to cover before I even got to look at it.
Bridget
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you enjoyed the movie, I think you'd like this as well. I loved the short vignettes that offer background on many of the characters, the action scenes, and the art style. Really fun read.
Rattyfleef
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Too much misogyny, not enough Jaeger. Art was decent.
Liz Neering
Mar 11, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a solid collection of shorts giving more background into the characters of Pacific Rim, and introducing some not in the film. Tamsin was especially intriguing; I'd love to see more of her!
Matt
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think I liked this better than the movie!
C.L. McCollum
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
As with TALES FROM THE DRIFT, really my only minus for this comic book was how short it was. With that aside though, this was a fantastic story. The framing of the over-arching set up was very well done, and I loved getting some of the history behind the characters in Pacific Rim and of the PPDC in general. Familiar characters Tendo, Raleigh and Yancy, and Stacker and Mako took center stage here, and we also had bonus glimpses of Stackers family and partner, and the scientists who started it all ...more
Sway Chandler
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This comic does a fantastic job of expanding on the minor details of the movie, really opening up the world and exploring a lot of different perspectives. What it does the best job of, however, is introducing the human element the movie lacked. It really delves into how people were affected by the Kaiju War and how these affects and interpersonal relationships shaped what happens moving forward.

My favourite thing is the question this comic asks: Why do we fight? It's certainly something to think
Sean
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Pacific Rim fans
I loved watching Pacific Rim because it was so immense. All of the ideas were insanely large. Here, we get a look behind the scenes at some of the key players in the movie. I like the idea but honestly the movie's world plays out better not knowing some of this stuff. I can get behind giant manned robots fighting giant sea-dwelling monsters. I struggle to see the government's financial planning in this. Its a misstep. The art, by various artists was decent but not dynamic enough to equal the ...more
Zach
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: long-live-sci-fi
This is a decent little collection of Pacific Rim tales. I will say however the artwork is a little uninspired for a Guillermo Del Toro comic but the tales are interesting and offer cool backstory to characters from the film. I do wish it was more progressional, showing each event as they happen leading up to the film would have been a better frame for the overall story. Theres good material just not enough of it. ...more
Sheldon Wiebe
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Engaging prequel to the film Pacific Rim highlighting the evolution of the Jaeger piloting system, a pair of brothers who try out for the chance to be pilots - half as a lark -then make the cut, and the work of a reporter working on a puff piece about 'Why We Fight' just as the Jaeger program is being shut down in favor of the wall.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Hunting Harkonnens (Legends of Dune, #0.5)
  • La Ligue Des Gentlemen Extraordinaires Volume 1
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1
  • The Dune Encyclopedia
  • The Road to Dune
  • Before Watchmen: Minutemen #1 (of 6)
  • The Superman Chronicles, Vol. 1
  • Pacific Rim: Man, Machines & Monsters
  • Earth Unaware (The First Formic War, #1)
  • Superman: Red Son #1
  • Avengers Assemble: Science Bros
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 1
  • Batman - Il Cavaliere Oscuro n. 1: Arkham
  • Trollhunters: Tales of Arcadia—The Secret History of Trollkind
  • The Four Points: Volume 1
  • Patrulla-X: La guerra de Magneto (Colección Extra Superhéroes #2; Patrulla-X #1)
  • Aquaman, Volume 1: The Trench
  • The Borders of Infinity (Vorkosigan Saga, #5.3)

Pacific Rim (7 books)
  • Pacific Rim: Tales From The Drift
  • Pacific Rim: The Official Movie Novelization
  • Pacific Rim Aftermath
  • Pacific Rim Uprising: Ascension
  • Pacific Rim Uprising - Official Movie Novelization
  • Pacific Rim Uprising: The Junior Novel

News & Interviews

Well, here we all are, sheltering in place, buying canned beans, and generally trying to figure out how to stay inside and keep our minds busy....
“I've never believed in the end of times. We are mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the beast rises from the pit---we will kill it.” 3 likes