Start by marking “The Healthy Programmer” as Want to Read:
The Healthy Programmer

The Healthy Programmer

To keep doing what you love, you need to maintain your own systems, not just the ones you write code for. Regular exercise and proper nutrition help you learn, remember, concentrate, and be creative—skills critical to doing your job well. Learn how to change your work habits, master exercises that make working at a computer more comfortable, and develop a plan to keep fit, ...more
Published 2013 by The Pragmatic Bookshelf

To ask other readers questions about The Healthy Programmer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Healthy Programmer

Aleš Roubíček
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kniha, navzdory svému názvu, je určená všem lidem, co mají sedavé zaměstnání a chtějí vyřešit problémy z něj plynoucí nebo jim předcházet.

Probírá různé mýty, které mezi lidmi kolují a rozporuje je na základě vědeckých studií. Volí také zajímavé metodické postupy, které lidé z branže mohou znát z projektového řízení nebo samotného přístupu k tvorbě kódu. Rozhodně se seznámíte s technikami jako je Kanban, Kaizen, Pomodoro, Unit testing, Refactoring a Retrospektiva. Uvidíte, že jde o obecné technik
Michael Koltsov
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sometimes I’m late for some of the most important events in my life. Hopefully, health is not the issue that I’ve missed. Self-awareness and consciousness have always been a nice thing to have under your belt.

This book helps to improve those skills by giving you a nice reference for all the good things you need to be aware of that might either help you to advance or suffer as a human being.

This book is nothing more than a composition of blog posts, though it gives your a nice system as a set of
Anton Petrov
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-english
Most of the suggestions in the book are well known to the modern sports-oriented person. Nevertheless it's good to hear them once again supported by some scientific research and test results.

My favorite take-away from the book is the idea of "kaizen" - making small, consistent and iterative steps towards your goal. It works not only for improving your health but for whatever one may try to achieve.

I would recommend this book to everybody, no matter if the person is a programmer or not. And for
Lindolfo Rodrigues
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, audiobook
Good book if you want to be more health and care about that, they show a lot of small and smart exercise to do every day just to make your health ok
Very pragmatic if you care about to be more healthy they kind of follow the Pareto Principle and is very small direct to the point.
Željko Filipin
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book like this one should be required reading for everybody that sit the majority of the day, from kids in school to office workers.

This one is targeting programmers, but any office worker could use it's advice.
Aleksandar Karamfilov
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is good at pointing out other really good books. I am happy that i started reading it because i found references to even better books.
Jesse Jones
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Decent book. Common sense fitness/health advice that's not just applicable to programmers, but to all desk and office workers. It's a good introduction for someone trying to get into fitness, but might be a bit beginner if you're already an active person.
Bozhidar
Dec 05, 2013 rated it liked it
The book consists of mostly basic advice, that's common knowledge, but overall I enjoyed it. It's nice to have all the basics of a healthy lifestyle collected in a single resource. The book could have easily been named "The Healthy Office Worker" (since nothing in it is specific to programmers) but I'm glad it wasn't - otherwise I probably wouldn't have come across it. :-)
Emad Mokhtar
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is the best fitness book I ever read and I really enjoy reading it and record every programmer to read it as well and I think companies must give this book for every programmer.
Fernando Hoyos
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well, I could say this book helps me out, basically save my life from killing myself for bad habits, Thanks a lot for charing this knowledge, lets continue with another book of pragmatic bookshlelf
Chris Esposo
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Only good if you are totally ignorant of healthy living and/basic exercise/elementary nutrition, which may be true of many devs, engineers, and possibly even data scientist. Technologist (as well as to a lesser extent other "professionals") seem to suffer from the curse of success in the dimension of health, as the book points out, a lot of the traits that get one to success in technology, leads to grossly unbalanced lives. Doing conferences and getting per diem for frequent business travel can ...more
Fayçal
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Programming is a time and energy consuming profession. Most programmers tend to have a sedentary life and long working hours. This book's aim is to change all that. The author backs his guidelines and programs with research and shows how bad habits the programmers generally have affect their health.. negatively, that is.

Since I started reading this book, I have started making some changes, am now using a software called Workrave which reminds you periodically to take breaks and walk around or s
Nikita Salnikov-tarnovski
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After reading the ToC of the book I was quite sceptical. But first few chapters have dismissed my scepticism completely. It is the very thorough book covering quite a large field of what does it mean to be a healthy person. And using us, programmers, as examples and working material. So it really does feel related to our everyday problems, habits and routines.

The book is not yet another "I know what is best". It is based on extensive research: the list of used literature is quite impressive. And
Sundarraj Kaushik
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read for all programmers.

The books highlights the typical physical problems that a programmer will encounter in her life. Obesity, Headaches, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Back Problems, etc. The book gives a set of simple exercises or procedures that can be done or adopted to prevent or cure these problems.

The book is written in an agile to which the modern programmers should be able to relate very easily. Throughout the book the author also gives the warning that the programmers should consul
Alexandra
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Same sort of things you hear about - though I did appreciate that it was all laid out cleanly - and the veganism shout-out :)
Paul
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-read or listen to for any engineer.
Alex Chan
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health, read-2017
Some useful, practical advice. Nothing massively surprising – these is all fairly well-known advice, although it’s nice to have it with all the references. Even if you don’t follow the detailed regimes, there are small improvements to be had in many areas.

One thing I like is that it emphasises making healthy habits sustainable – it doesn’t just shame you for being unhealthy and push you straight to an extreme fitness regime, but talks about how to build it up slowly. Little and often.

A lot of ad
Neville Ridley-smith
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
This is a pragmatic book. (Ha ha). No really. Often programmers can be pretty lazy about their health. I know I was... And this book gets points for making me actually initiate some changes - like doing core strength exercises. This is an encouraging book and covers the whole range of health issues relevant to programmers. It includes interesting info and lots of small ideas that you can start doing immediately.

There are only minor negatives. The chapter on food seems a bit light. I'm always war
Konrad Garus
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Easy and worthwhile, but not quite perfect. Detailed about some aspects of physical health, with a handful of useful exercises for your back, ways to assess health and goals to aim for. Backed by plenty of scientific evidence. Many useful little tricks and tips.

Gets a a bit too unrealistic (fanatic?) though. Examples: Change position every 20 minutes (standing desk, sitting desk), but sitting and standing each are very, very bad for you. Work out in the 5-minute breaks in pomodoro.

Merely scratch
Johnny Graber
Mar 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Joe Kutner explains in his book how little we programmers have to change to stay healthy. Not sitting for hours, take a walk from time to time and looking on a distant object every twenty minutes would help us a lot. The hard part with every health book comes when we have to put in into action. Kutner knows this from his own experience and has put together a set of simple exercises that everyone should be able to do. How good his advice is I can’t jet decide. But they are so simple that I’m adap ...more
Kyla Squires
Quite a good little book. Software companies should keep a copy at the office. It's geared towards programmers that haven't stood up in a while and approaches making changes about your health the same way you would refactor a code base. Contains info on posture as well as nutrition and exercise. One thing I particularly liked about this book was that it really emphasizes experimenting with different things and going with what works for you.
Samuel Lampa
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! Easy to read, with very practical and "actionable" advice.

But the best part - that is also hard to find elsewhere - is probably how all the advice is backed up with a reasoning around the best we know about the topic from latest research. This puts weight into the right parts, so that one can prioritize one's efforts in a reasonable way.

I think every programmer better read this, for the sake of your health and "safety"!
Sergey Nikulin
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Очень просто и доходчиво написано о том, как без слишком больших напрягов можно значительно повысить качество своей жизни, за счет перехода к здоровому образу жизни. Как и многие книги от Pragmatic Bookshelf, тут дан очень прагматичный взгляд на методы позволяющие стать более здоровым.
Советую почитать.
Carlos Ramos
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it
A nice book about health in the work office.

While the author tried to keep his checklist to a minimum, I still feel like is too cluttered and hard to remember.

Or maybe I am doing it wrong and not doing enough exercise (my sore eyes and hurt wrists tell that story).

So, yeah, some helpful ideas.

It was a good book, nothing spectacular.
Matthew Bradley
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fitness
This is a well-written book that's backed by credible research and is full of great ideas. Perhaps the one that struck me the most was the idea of having a daily stand-up:

• What did I do yesterday to improve my health?
• What will I do today to improve my health?
• Is there anything blocking me from staying healthy?
Pam
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a good, basic summary of tips for healthy ways of managing a desk job. It is written using many programming analogies, which I enjoyed, but the information would be useful to anyone who sits at a desk for a living. There isn't anything earth-shattering here, but it is a useful guide that does a good job of encouraging movement, gentle exercise, and care in diet without being too forceful.
Lyuben
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
First of all this book is for someone with zero to none knowledge of his body and some of the things are too oversimplified(that's fine for someone that's just getting interested in this though). That being said it's a great introduction to the things one should to to feel better and it sends a great message.
Daniel
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devel
The book explains physical issues that may arise from sitting in an office and offers solutions in an agile way that should be familiar to programmers.

Most proposed solutions focus on being simple to follow and verifiable.
Derek
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I sit in front a computer most days, either writing code or thinking about what code to write.
This book gives you the methods you can use to keep your body from failing due to all that sitting, and does so using terminology and ideas from software development. Worth it.
Shayne
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: real-book
Fun for programmers. Lots of basic "take care of your body" tactics with some programmer-specific emphasis (proper posture, frequent breaks from the screen) and a lot of programming metaphors (e.g. body:labor::server:app under load).
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Reader club of KM...: Healthy programmer 2 13 Nov 20, 2014 03:15AM
  • Practical Vim: Edit Text at the Speed of Thought
  • Understanding Computation: From Simple Machines to Impossible Programs
  • The Developer's Code: What Real Programmers Do
  • The Well-Grounded Java Developer: Vital techniques of Java 7 and polyglot programming
  • Programming Concurrency on the JVM
  • Seven Languages in Seven Weeks
  • Apprenticeship Patterns: Guidance for the Aspiring Software Craftsman
  • Pragmatic Thinking and Learning: Refactor Your Wetware
  • Tmux: Productive Mouse-Free Development
  • The Leprechauns of Software Engineering
  • The Passionate Programmer
  • Java 8 in Action
  • Seven Databases in Seven Weeks: A Guide to Modern Databases and the NoSQL Movement
  • Software Estimation: Demystifying the Black Art
  • Seven Concurrency Models in Seven Weeks: When Threads Unravel
  • Exceptional Ruby: Master the Art of Handling Failure in Ruby
  • Team Geek: A Software Developer's Guide to Working Well with Others
  • Effective Programming: More Than Writing Code

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“The explanation may be that gene activity in our muscles changes when the muscles don’t contract for long periods of time. In one experiment, researchers at the University of Massachusetts asked a group of healthy young men to walk around using crutches such that the muscles in their left legs never contracted. After only two days of inactivity, the scientists biopsied muscles in both legs. In the left leg, the DNA repair mechanism had been disrupted, insulin response was dropping, oxidative stress was rising, and metabolic activity within individual muscle cells was slowing.” 0 likes