Start by marking “Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories (Miss Marple #15)” as Want to Read:
Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories (Miss Marple #15)

Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories (Miss Marple #15)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  7,537 Ratings  ·  393 Reviews
Elderly Miss Jane Marple from St Mary's Mead village applies skills of observation and deduction to mysteries, usually to murder from books Tuesday Club, Regatta, Three Blind Mice.
Tuesday Club
7 Blue Geranium
8 Companion
9 Four Suspects
10 Christmas Tr
Published 1997 by HarperCollins (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Marple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Marple

Carol  ꧁꧂
I'm reading this with the Reading the Detectives as part of their Miss Marple Challenge. As the Miss Marple Short stories originally appeared in two books The Thirteen Problems (Miss Marple, #2) by Agatha Christie and Miss Marple's Final Cases by Agatha Christie this book will be going on my "in hibernation" shelf for a while. If I don't jot down my thoughts on the stories I've read. My aging memory just won't retain the information until December.

I'll start with the general comment that the Tuesday Night Club mysteries that begin the book are very early works and are overall weaker than the
Bri
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was stuck at my grandparents house for a summer while my mother and brother went to Bermuda on a boyscout trip that I couldn't accompany them on. Needless to say, I was bitter. My grandmother had a number of books in a bookcase in the guest bedroom, mostly historical fiction, religious biographies, and birdwatching guides. But this little gem was wedged between a tell-all on St. Francis of Assisi and 'Season at the Point: The Birds and Birders of Cape May.' And thus I discovered Agatha Christi ...more
Shaun
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Agatha Christie is the most widely published author of all time, outsold only by the Bible and Shakespeare. Her books have sold more than a billion copies in English and another billion in a hundred foreign languages.

I don't know about you, but I think that's a pretty impressive back cover blurb.

This complete collection of Miss Marple stories is my first experience with the famous spinster/amateur sleuth, and it was enjoyable, even if the long time St. Mary Mead's resident didn't stack up to
An Odd1
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fan
Rated high on Fan shelf only for the admirable clever old Miss Jane Marple, beloved of page and screen, here in 20 from The Tuesday Club, Regatta, Three Blind Mice aka Mousetrap, Double Sin and other stories. Black lace cap on "piled up masses of snowy hair, matching "mittens" gloves, erect alert posture, keen "faded blue eyes", spots of pink blushing her cheeks at some of the secrets hidden behind quiet village facade. Jane knits quietly, observes carefully, remembers long, applies human behavi ...more
Obsidian
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection was pretty much a hit with me. There are only a few stories that I felt okay to meh about and so I gave the entire book 4 stars.

If you don't know Miss Marple by now, I don't suggest you start with this collection. What I do like though is that Miss Marple is a lot more endearing in these short stories than she was in her first appearance (Murder at the Vicarage). We get to see Miss Marple solve the solution to all of the below mysteries time and time again and everyone around he
Madhulika Liddle
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of Agatha Christie’s most endearing and popular characters, the white-haired, sweet but canny, sometimes-given-to-rambling Miss Jane Marple first appeared in a book in 1930 – and continued to appear, in various novels as well as short stories, over the next nearly 50 years. This book is a compilation of all the Miss Marple stories, culled from three books: The Thirteen Problems (known in America as The Tuesday Club Murders); Miss Marple’s Final Cases; and The Adventure of the Christmas Puddi ...more
Krista
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a really big fan of Agatha Christie. I have been reading her stories since I was quite young, probably beginning in grade school. Miss Marple has always been my particular favorite, though there will always be in my heart a soft spot for the astute Belgian and his Captain Hastings. That said, there are some rather unpleasant things scattered throughout her work that bear mentioning in light of modern common standards of decency. One could be reading along, fully immersed in the village life ...more
Tony
Nov 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Christie, Agatha. THE COMPLETE MISS MARPLE SHORT STORIES. (2003). ****. It’s been years and years since I read most of these stories, and now, through this collection put together by The Folio Society, they are all in one place. The stories span Christie’s publishing career from the early 1930s to the late 1970s, and you can watch Miss Marple evolve over the years. We all have out image of Miss Marple. Mine is that of Margaret Rutherford, bustling her way through St. Mary Mead, the small village ...more
Kathryn
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I do like a book with either short stories or short chapters (or both) for my nightly reading before I retire; and this book of all of the Miss Marple short stories fit my requirements quite well, as I was reading two or three of the twenty stories each night. In my misspent youth I read a lot of Agatha Christie, and my favorite character of hers was always Miss Marple, so I loved this book.

Miss Jane Marple is, without putting too fine a point on it, an old lady; never married, she has lived in
Icewineanne
At a gathering everyone is encouraged to tell a story of a previously unsolvable mystery to see if anyone could solve the puzzle. Predictably, in each story, no one else has a clue as to who or how the crime was committed other than Jane Marple. People who like to figure out puzzles would enjoy these shorts.
I had a library copy copy that I couldn't renew, so I had to send it back unfinished. Well, it's been 2 years & I still haven't gone back to take it out again, to finish it. Time to remo
John Bohnert
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Miss Marple.
I've owned this book for many years.
Susan in NC
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this collection of short stories, which I’d never read but had seen some dramatized by BBC (I especially remember the one about theBlue Geranium, yikes!)

I enjoyed them all, and am glad I was finally able to fill in the blanks in my knowledge of my favorite little old lady detective and how she got her start! I was first a fan of Poirot in my teens and twenties and read the Miss Marple novels but didn’t really learn to appreciate this sweet, fluffy old lady with “a mind like
Stuart Aken
Oct 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Iconic, much adapted for film and TV, these tales have been around a while and many people have taken pleasure from them in this form. But, until now, I’d not read a single one. This collection both introduces and develops the character (I met one of the original actors, Joan Hickson, whilst working on an article with her son, Nick, when she lived in Wivenhoe. Very private and reserved lady.)

What I hadn’t appreciated was that the written stories actually distance Miss Marple from most of the ev
Jan C
Just great.

It has one of my favorites - it sends me to Google every time. As an American I have no knowledge of "all my eye and Betty Martin". Even after looking it up, it makes no sense to me.

Although it may have been the first time for "Sanctuary". That one didn't seem to ring any bells.

I did notice on this read a number of elements of later novels of hers. Maybe like Eugene O'Neill she never wasted a scene or a plot-line.

This is at least the second time I have read these stories, or at least
booklady
I have an almost complete collection of Agatha Christie and I love her!!! Back in the early 90s I made a concerted effort to read every one of her books. I didn't succeed! But I sure enjoyed the attempt! I don't like most modern murder mysteries, but I like the puzzle-solving aspect of A. C. too!

Hey Morning Star, you must be a fan of G. K. Chesterton and the Father Brown mysteries too, I'll bet?!

And have you read my review on "Gardens of the Dead"? The sleuth is a modern British monk! Excellen
Andrea Hickman Walker
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
I love this collection. I could read it every week! I'm particularly fond of the first set, generally known as the Tuesday Club Murders or Thirteen Problems. These short stories are a great introduction to Miss Marple and the way in which she goes about solving crimes (the well-known village parallel). The writing is particularly evocative and you can clearly picture a white-haired woman carefully counting stitches in the corner, listening to everything being said and quietly solving the mystery ...more
Joy
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I do like Agatha Christie stories. Miss Marple is so unassuming and modest, lives in a small town, and enjoys her neighbors. She's my kind of person. I particularly like the way she finds solutions to mysteries based on her past experiences. I like for experiences to pay off in the future. Christie has black and white characters, another thing I really like. Example: "Miss helier paused, slightly out of breath, and it was borne in upon her audience that the outside of Jane's charming head was di ...more
Julie Davis
Aug 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#76 - 2010.

I read all these in different editions, many when they first came out long ago. They prove just as entertaining now as they did then, and in many cases I don't remember the stories well, which is a bonus. There is no one for sniffing out wickedness in basic human behavior like a spinster lady who has lived in a little village, as gentle Miss Marple continually must remind those around her.
Rebecca
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I loved these in high school, and still enjoy them now. Classic short mystery stories with an unassuming detective who uses her observation and common sense to see what no one else does. I guess I just enjoy the underdog showing everyone else up--and showing that even unmarried women have value in the world.
Nicole Alycia
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved these short stories, which is saying something because I don't usually read short stories! I thought Miss Marple was a fascinating character. She's so intelligent yet so unsuspecting. It's amazing how observant she is and how well she seems to know people. These stories were definitely worth the read!
Christian
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like an Encyclopedia Brown for adults, this collection of short mysteries revisits the (now) classic tropes of detective fiction. Readers who want something quick and tasty between novels can turn to this and feel eminently entertained. I suspect this was as much about character study for Mme. Christie as it was an intellectual exercise.
Judy
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Twenty short stories all featuring my favorite Christie character, Miss Jane Marple. This book is perfect to pick up any time and reminds me of an expensive box of assorted chocolates--each story is different from the others and each is totally delicious.
Yibbie
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very fun collection of who-done-its. I just wish it was longer.
It helped lay the foundation for any other Miss Marple story. Just how did a former Scotland Yard inspector gain such confidence in an elderly spinsters opinions? How does everyone know she is so perceptive? This book explains all that so wonderfully.
It was quite a varied collection. Most of them are your typically gory murder but not all. One of them completely took me by surprise. There was even a spooky ghost story.
Some of
Coleen
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
For those who are Agatha Christie devotees, as I am, reading her short stories [as well as her longer books] is a joy. This book was published in 1985 and a number of the stories had been previously published, some under different names. Reading several of them, I realized I had read them before. But I enjoyed each and every one!
twice_baked✌️
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is so nice when you want interesting, short murder mysteries and you don't want too much Miss Marple stuffed down your windpipe. I love reading murder mysteries after I get out of the pool so I've been getting so much out of this book lately!

I would recommend to any Agatha Christie fan, if they want just a quick read for a little bit. Interesting and unexpected - and short! ;)
Daniel
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Miss Marple seems made for short stories.
Anne Earney
I've never been much for mysteries and although I'm curious as I read, I don't feel any urge to solve them myself. From that standpoint, the first few stories didn't do much for me, but as the book went in, the crimes and how they are solved grew on me.
Marcus Vinicius
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This collection of short stories are useful to know Miss Marple and a bunch of characters that gravitate toward her. One can also grasp Miss Marple line of thought and the method used to solve the puzzles. Solving one mystery after the other, the old lady conquered the respect of her friends. Great reading.
Debbie
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, mystery
"Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories" is a collection of twenty short mysteries featuring Miss Marple. Though written as contemporary mysteries, they are now historical mysteries. A few of the stories mentioned a historical (or British) thing where I couldn't figure out what meant. Perhaps this was because they were short stories or because some of them were early in her career. I've never had this problem with Agatha Christie's novels.

The mysteries were clever, and they could be solved. I w
Goodreads Librari...: One book has questionable entries 4 40 Jan 30, 2012 04:24PM
  • Great Detectives: A Century of the Best Mysteries from England and America
  • The World of the Short Story: A Twentieth Century Collection
  • Lord Peter (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries)
  • The Scandal of Father Brown (Father Brown, #5)
  • Roads of Destiny
  • The Best of Mystery: 63 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense
  • English Country House Murders
  • Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks
  • Detection Unlimited (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #4)
  • The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Poetical Works
  • The Big Bow Mystery
  • Don't Open This Book

More about Agatha Christie

Miss Marple (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple #1)
  • The Thirteen Problems (Miss Marple, #2)
  • The Body in the Library (Miss Marple #3)
  • The Moving Finger (Miss Marple #4)
  • A Murder Is Announced (Miss Marple, #5)
  • They Do It with Mirrors (Miss Marple, #6)
  • A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple #7)
  • 4:50 from Paddington (Miss Marple #8)
  • The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (Miss Marple, #9)
  • A Caribbean Mystery (Miss Marple, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
  • What She Doesn't Know
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Pope of Palm Beach: A Novel (Serge Storms)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Binary
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Case of Need
  • Easy Go
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The House of Memory (Pluto's Snitch #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Evil Never Dies (Lizzy Gardner, #6)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Twisted Root (William Monk, #10)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Red Road (Alex Morrow #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Detective (Peter Diamond, #1)
  • Darkness, My Old Friend
  • Retribution
  • Duplicity
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Widowmaker (Mike Bowditch #7)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Bones Don't Lie (Morgan Dane #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Remember Me Like This
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Penance
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Cold Harbor (Gibson Vaughn, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service (James Bond, #11)
  • Neighborly
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Targeted (Callahan & McLane, #4)
  • The Drowning
    $15.95 $1.99
  • The Second Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“Miss Greenshaw appeared to have no fear of burglars, and was probably justified, as most things in the house weighed several tons and were of no marketable value.” 2 likes
“Everything that has existed, lingers in the Eternity.” 2 likes