Start by marking “Thorn Ogres Of Hagwood (The Hagwood Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Thorn Ogres Of Hagwood (The Hagwood Trilogy, #1)

Thorn Ogres Of Hagwood

(The Hagwood Trilogy #1)

“Fun for Hobbit-addicts and Potter-philes of all ages.” —Publishers Weekly

Dark forces are brewing in Hagwood

The werlings of Hagwood live peacefully in the trees of the forest—overlooked and unbothered while they leisurely perfect the art of wergling (shape-changing). But unlike his fellow werlings, the bumbling Gamaliel Tumpin can’t manage to wergle into even the simplest of forms—a mouse—Hagwood/>Publishers
Published December 11th 2012 by Open Road Media Teen & Tween (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Thorn Ogres Of Hagwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thorn Ogres Of Hagwood

Start your review of Thorn Ogres Of Hagwood (The Hagwood Trilogy, #1)
Leona  Carstairs
4.5 stars.
A great, funny, adventurous book! I reread it twice. Good for fantasy fans who are bored and don't know what to read. I think it would be great for all ages, but especially ten or older.
Ego Thurman
One of the first books I ever read as a child. It encompasses everything I loved as a boy. It's creepy and has some great gory bits. Unfortunately Robin Jarvis has yet to write the promised sequel.
Charlotte
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fab book really spooky but RJ never did the other books which was reallu diappointing. If it came out now id read it.
Liana
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Older kids who aren't easily disturbed.
Reading this book, you'd think that it'd be geared for children the way how the world building is and how plot is set. And it IS a great children's book, if you ignore the PG 13 violence it has. *Laughs* If you're familiar with the Warriors children series by Erin Hunter and the violence those books have, Thorn Ogres Of Hagwood is kind of like that, but maybe a little more frightening.

It's still a great book though. I very much enjoyed the classic 'woodland fantasy' feel that it has. :)
Josiah MacFarlane
Creative, entertaining, and a fantastic read for someone looking for a lighthearted battle between good and evil. Balances tension, humor, and sheer creativity very well. 3.5
Matthew Hodge
Re-read in March 2018.

Jarvis was my favourite author from my childhood days but I struggled to find time to read him once university, full-time work and toddlers took over. Almost as if he was waiting for me, he slowed down his output as well.

But suddenly, in the last five years, he has come back with a vengeance, cranking out the darkly brilliant Dancing Jax books for older teenagers and and his new series set in Whitby which has just come out (as at July 2016).
Mark Buxton
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My name is Gamaliel, and I can't even succeed at wergling into a mouse. Changing into different animals is the key to our survival, and I'm thankful that Finnen is trying to help me. No one can wergle better than him; it's almost unnatural. Later, I'd only heard stories about the High Lady, but Finnen took me along to secretly see her and her army of terrifying creatures. They really exist, and Frighty Aggie too! Frighty Aggie bit me and I almost died, but I think the poison has affected me in s ...more
XPHAIEA.
I found this buried in a dusty box of childrens books in St. Peter's church in the town of Sandwich in Kent. My copy is stamped with 'Ellington and Hereford School'. I'm pretty sure I read this in the distant past - the cover looks familiar anyhow.

This tale follows the exploits of Gamaliel, who is a wereling. This means he is able to shapeshift into a mouse or hedgehog or other small woodland creature. The story starts out with him learning how to morph for the very first time, but h
Sleepingpeonies
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very well handled YA fantasy with some beautiful, unique imagery, interesting characters and a well paced plot.

My favourite aspect was the world of the Hagwood, in which the book is set; it feels well-realised, and is very well drawn. Dark, and organic, and consciously revealed through plot rather than exposition.

The characters were fairly lightly drawn, but that is to be expected from a short book. They were given enough character to make me feel for them, to a degree,
Edward Davies
This should really be a four star, but I marked it down for taking so long to get the sequel published. I'm not sure if this was a matter of Jarvis suffering writer's block or of Puffin not agreeing to the sequels, but having read this when I was 21 (pretty old for a kids book), it left me a little peeved that the sequel only came out in 2013, and I don't know if I'll ever get around to reading it as apparently it is only available through print on demand!
Zheng
Oct 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Virginia
Jun 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this read a lot - interesting characters, involved plot and sub-plots are referenced - quite a bit of promise and depth here - but it is the first of a trilogy and was published in 1999 - the rest of the trilogy hasn't been published yet even though the author indicates on his site that he's written book two.
Louise Jones
took me awhile to get into and had to reread it cos a lost it or found it at times slightly confusing took me longer than usual to get into a childrens bbook and at times found it interesting and at other times confusing i would like to know what happens to them in future books but believe very hard to get into
Judith
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
An enthralling story of adorable characters who encounter evil and terrifying adversaries they have to overcome to survive. I cannot wait to read more of the hagwood series and would thoroughly recommend this to children aged ten and above.
Julia
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm gonna give this book a big solid meh....
Bill Tillman
Wow, very original like another Tolkien universe. Great story, plot and a real page turner.
Rose
JF Jar
Kari Hughes
Dec 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Blah
K.D. Delgado
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Absolutly LOVED this book growing up, and have held onto it as I have become a parent. Now my own daughter is reading it.
Brittany
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little bit weird but pretty good!
Leo Cookman
Sarah Owen
Apr 27, 2015

• A Mouse Called Wolf
  • Bad Man
  • Romancing the Inventor (Supernatural Society, #1)
  • Waistcoats & Weaponry (Finishing School, #3)
  • The Kraken King  (Iron Seas, #4)
  • Curtsies & Conspiracies (Finishing School, #2)
  • Fairest
  • Manners & Mutiny (Finishing School, #4)
  • Riveted (Iron Seas, #3)
  • Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1)
  • A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle #1)
  • Bitterblue (Graceling Realm, #3)
  • Fire (Graceling Realm, #2)
  • Rebel Angels (Gemma Doyle, #2)
  • The Witchfinder's Sister
Robin Jarvis (born May 8, 1963) is a British children's novelist, who writes fantasy novels, often about anthropomorphic rodents and small mammals – especially mice – and Tudor times. A lot of his works are based in London, in and around Deptford and Greenwich where he used to live, or in Whitby.

His first novel – The Dark Portal, featuring the popular Deptford Mice – was the runner up

The Hagwood Trilogy (3 books)
  • Dark Waters Of Hagwood (The Hagwood Trilogy, #2)
  • War in Hagwood (The Hagwood Trilogy, #3)