Start by marking “Found (Penny Black #1)” as Want to Read:
Found (Penny Black #1)

Found (Penny Black #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  180 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
From the author of the Zellie Wells trilogy comes FOUND (Penny Black #1)the first book in a whole new NA trilogy set in the Society world.

Discover what happened to Zellie, Avery, Melody, and Ben!

And meet Penny Black, a girl with a past that can see the future.

Published February 24th 2013 by Write Free

To ask other readers questions about Found, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Found

Magan Vernon
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First off, I just have to say that this title is perfect. It invokes the song "You Found Me" by The Fray and that is exactly what Penny was before she was found by Ben, Zellie, Avery, and the rest of the gang "Lost and insecure, you found me, lying on the floor."

That's where Penny was, well lying on the side of the highway, but I'm not about to give any spoilers.

This book is told from the dual POV of Penny, Wyatt, and you get to see a little bit of Ben and the old gang from the Zellie trilogy a
Stormi (Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my!)
This is my first book by author Stacey Wallace Benefiel and this book is set I am guessing in the same type of world that her Zellie trilogy was in since it's a companion series to that trilogy. I have not read the Zellie books, but I really didn't find myself that lost. I just realized that the adults in the book were the main characters in that series and now this one is about some older teenagers, one of them is related to Zellie and the others.

Penny Black hasn't had an easy life, she has be
Bobbie
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Firstly, I need to admit that I haven't read the Zellie Wells Trilogy, which is a bit of an oversight on my part. I thought because this was stated as a companion trilogy rather than a follow-on, I'd be okay with not having read the original trilogy. However, I would advise you to read the Zellie Wells books first, because I did spend the first couple of chapters being a bit confused and trying to work out how this world works. To be fair, it wasn't that hard to work out - the author does a good ...more
A. Freya
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Given by the publisher for an honest review

5 stars are not enough to describe how much I loved this book!!!

It's perfect!
>>As the story progresses,more questions are raised..The plot thickens..It lets our imagination run for some time and then,some questions are answered but definitely not in the way we expected..

>>Penny's friends are so different from each other..But they somehow fit..They're so fun to read about..I loved them all...

>>And the ending..wow..Didn't see that coming
Angela Carlie
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the Zellie Wells Trilogy, but I love the beginning of the Penny Black series even more! FOUND is full of draw dropping action, suspense, and is just a fun read. One of my favorite parts of the book is Penny's voice--her witty and funny comments. There's even a bit of romance. I can't wait to read the second!
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookviews
*I received a free ARC of Found from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review*

Full review to come soon.

This and other reviews are originally posted on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews

Ian Wood
This is the entire review as it appears on my blog, minus the links which are on the blog but are not available here.

SPOILERS!

This novel is set in the not-too-distant future where cars are self-drive. Google, believe it or not, is already testing such a vehicle in California, and even the US car manufacturers are waking up and working on the concept! It’s a pity Google can’t invest just as much into getting bloggers' pictures loaded, isn’t it?! The female protagonist is Penny Black (evidently na
Sarah E.
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Actual rating: 2.5 stars
While I really wanted to like this book, it disappointed me. I didn't realize it was a spinoff series, but I feel like things should have still been explained even a teeny bit in this first book. I felt that instead of info dumps, there were character dumps. Too many names were introduced too quickly with little-to-no other details about them and it ended up confusing me far too much to enjoy the story. I was not a fan of the random two Spanish words with no explanation (
Becca
Apr 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs-i-read
I wrote the review below before I knew that this was a companion series for the Zellie Wells series. That explains why there were so many characters and why I couldn't keep track of them all. It also probably explains why the enemies story line was in the book. I will definitely read the Zellie Wells series!

I received a digital ARC of this book.

This is going to be pretty difficult to review. There were things I loved and things that just didn't work.

There were too many characters in thi
Krutula
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Penny Black hasn’t had it easy. Just about everything you’d expect to happen to a harassed foster-kid turned junkie has happened to Penny. Add in the mysterious power to rewind time, conducting events around her, and it’s a wonder she held up on the streets for so many years. Now, at seventeen, the New Society has found her. Finally, Penny is where she belongs. But that doesn’t stop the visions, or the need to protect the victims shown to her.

Wyatt Adams is excited and intrigued when hi
Riikka
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I received a free ebook via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Just wow. Wow. That's the first word that comes in mind when I think about this book. I was a little sceptical, when I started this book, but I was so totally wrong! So wrong! This was really amazing book. Found is the first book in Penny Black trilogy that's spin-off of Zellie Wells trilogy. And I'm definally going to read that one too while I'm waiting for next book in this series. One great thing about this series is that
John Boettcher
Dec 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I was really excited to read this book. I knew that it was a new series that was a continuation of a previous set of books that Benefiel wrote on the same subject matter.

The premise, about stopping, and even reversing time is very cool. So is the bonding that takes place between two people that cannot be stopped or replaced. That makes for some very interesting dynamics in the story line.

However, I'm not sure if it was simply because I was unfamiliar with the author and needed to read the othe
Tanja
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book is the first part of the Penny Black trilogy, which takes place in the same world like the author’s previous work, Zellie Wells trilogy. I never read Zellie Wells trilogy, but now I feel like I should have, because I probably would have understood this book better. Oh well, it’s too late now.

The story starts with the New Society finding Penny Black. She joins them and gets assigned a Lookout, Wyatt. Penny has had a very difficult life, but I really never felt like that has screwed her
Kirsty Vizard
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, sci-fi
When I requested Found on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review I had heard of the Zellie Wells trilogy but not read the books. Although I have no prior experience of the characters and the Society world Stacey Wallace Benefiel knew how to hook me in from the first chapter and she gives just enough back-story to clue her new readers in, but not too much for the history to be overwhelming.
Penny is immediately a fascinating character - a girl who can see the future, rewind time and who has li
Kelli Killion
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Holy Crrrrraaaap! I read this in one 4-hour sitting, and I'm dying because I want MOAR!

Penny, the epitome of effed-upedness, has these superpowers that cause her all kinds of grief. She's smart, funny, and speaks fluent sarcasm. Making her perfect for Wyatt, whom she meets after finding out that she's not the only one with time-altering abilities.

Benefiel's writing is brilliantly "future teen," and the plot catches you from the first page and won't let go. The social commentary of the future is
Aussie bookworm
Jul 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This book had a somewhat original story line, a young homeless woman with amazing abilities has been tracked down and brought to a special school to help her learn how to deal and develop her time stopping and psychic abilities.
Apparently this story is a spin off, I have not read the Zellie chronicles but after seeing a small glimpse of this world that Stacey has created I am looking forward to reading them.

The characters were well developed with lots of action although I thought that the story
Nikki
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really good. The story was really engaging and intriguing. I do have a few complaints, though.
The slang. "Chido" and "bueno" were overused. Whereas I can use context to get the meaning, I have never heard the word "chido."
I could definitely tell that this was a side series. There was something that made me realize that I picked up a book that had characters who were already established somewhere else. As this was my first time reading Stacey Wallace Benefiel, I felt a little lost at fi
I received a copy of this book from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is a spin-off series to the Zellie Wells series. I have not read the previous series yet, though I don't feel you have to read it to understand this story. I am sure if you read it though, it would help with understanding who a lot of the characters were. The only complaint I would have is it felt like so many were introduced so quickly I had a hard time keep straight who was who.

Penny has been in hiding for year
Elizabeth Ashley
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
4.5 Stars!!

Woah! Woah. Seriously. This book was great. I must say though, much like some of the other reviewers have mentioned I didnt read the companion trilogy before starting Found. With that I admit, I was confused by the people. But otherwise, I thought the world setting and characters were great. For those that are skeptical because of other reviews, I think what they disliked about this book may have been some of the things that were explained in the companion trilogy Zellie Trilogy. Bu
Christy
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great story for those of us that have A.D.D. There's no way to get bored with it. Even though it's a spin off from another series I didn't get confused except when they were talking about the family and how they were all related. Being set in the future It's pretty funny how it talks about the new technology like the iphone29, auto drive cars, teching instead of texting etc...The way it ends will really surprise you and make you want to buy the next book asap. There were little clues t ...more
Julie
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I found this novel on my Kindle, after doing a thorough clean up, and I am really glad I found it.

This novel is another show stopper by Benefiel, fast paced, intriguing, great plot and that ever exciting notion of time control and glimpsing into the future. The characters are amazing, deep and real, the story line, itself is captivating and evoking and really makes the reader feel as though they are along for the ride, a part of the action.

This novel was a joy to read, and I will definitely be r
Liane
Apr 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Normally not a fan of the futuristic genre, this book's excerpt caught my attention and I thought I'd give it a try and boy am I glad I did!

The language use make this a very believable first-person narrative and it's refreshing that a teenager sounds like a teenager! I enjoyed the fact that it touches on topics that most other books wouldn't and seriously can't wait for the next one to come out!

The only down part I could find about this book is that it went a bit too fast for my liking. I woul
Cassie
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As a huge Zellie fan, I knew I would love Penny! I was hooked from the beginning, and can't wait for#2 to find out what happens next. My only mild criticism would be everyone used the word bueno a little too much.
CJ
May 04, 2013 rated it liked it
I was only partially aware that this story was the beginning of a companion trilogy to another one, so I made the sort-of mistake of reading a preview of Glimpse before jumping into Found. Quite frankly it just made my head spin, whoops! I ended up with far too many questions and definitely not enough answers.

As I lost most of what I had written up for this beforehand, I'm going to try to begin with what I noticed most about this book.

Spoiler-y bits ahead!

(view spoiler)
Shannon
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Whoa! Poor Wyatt! That kid has had a hard life. You'd think being around all those people with powers someone would help make things alittle better.
Katherine Paschal
Set in a distant future, with complicated gadgets, soon to be 18 year old Penny has been on the run for the last 7 years, living a harsh gritty life on the streets. She ends up being found by the police collapsed on the side of the road, causing her to be taken in to custody. She gets picked up by her "Uncle", a man she has never met before who says he has been looking for her for years. He says she has special powers to rewind time and alter events, making her part of a secret society to protec ...more
Books A-Brewin'
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was ok

I received an e-copy of this book from the publishers at NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is yet another book that I read that seems to be a spin-off of another series. I found out the book I recently read Bad Kitty was also a spin-off of another trilogy. Found seems to be a spin-off of the Zellie Wells trilogy. As much as that causes the perfectionist in my to scream in agony, I still decided to read the book and see what I thought of it in the end. I hoped that the fact that
Jessica Figueroa
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgally

* * I received an ARC for a honest Review* *

Penny had a hard life and was in a group home when a random guy who claims to be her uncle shows up to take her in his custody. Its there that she learns that she's not the only one with strange abilities. Before she met him she thought she just had weird dreams and sleep walked. Now shes lives with people like her, goes to school, has regular meal, plus theres this guy...

Wyatt doesn't have any abilities but hes still apart of this new places that brou
Caroline Waddell
Feb 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book was just okay for me. I really wanted to like Penny because she came from such a tough background and managed to turn her life around. I didn’t hate Penny, but she was just a little blah to me. I didn’t really feel strongly about her one way or another. And the plot of this story was not exactly original. I have read so many stories and watched so many movies and television shows with the same premise.

This is the story of
Julie
May 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I started reading this book without knowing what it was about. Have a bit too many books waiting to be read on my nook, so I tend to forget the summaries but was pleasantly surprised.

The mc, Penny, is a runaway girl that has been living alone on the streets. She goes through some serious blackouts and tends to forget how she gets to certain places. What she doesn’t know is that she has certain abilities that she unknowingly uses which cause her to black out. Penny is a retroact; she has the abi
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Autumn (Dog Days #1)
  • Shadow Embraced (Haven, #1)
  • Getting Real
  • Soulless
  • A Werewolf's Tale (Forbidden Alliance, #1)
  • No Way Back (Mia's Way, #1)
  • Crashing Into You
  • The Boyfriend List (Boyfriend #1)
  • Sunshine (Sunshine, #1)
  • Souls of the Stones Omnibus (Souls of the Stones, #1, 2, 3)
  • Endless
  • 42 Hours (Time for Love, #3)
  • Stealing Promises
  • Carnival (Carnival #1)
  • So Into You (The Jane Austen Academy Series, #2)
  • Perfectly Hopeless
  • Deuce (Vortex, #3)
  • Rouge (Cheveux Roux, #1)
Stacey Wallace writes engaging stories that make her readers snort-laugh, ugly-cry, and fall in love with her characters.
She lives in Beaverton, OR with her husband and their combined five children. Obviously, Stacey drives a minivan.

Stacey Wallace Benefiel writes paranormal love stories with a time-bending twist.

www.staceywallace.com
www.staceywallacebenefiel.com
More about Stacey Wallace Benefiel...

Penny Black (3 books)
  • Frayed (Penny Black #2)
  • Fearless (Penny Black #3)
“Yes, my sister is weird and says crap like en route. I smirk - it's a common facial tic of mine - and turn to her.” 0 likes
“Can I have my knife back?' Meaning, can I have my knife back. I don't care whether this man seems like he only goes after age appropriate penis; I won't be taking any chances. And I won't be going any farther thank the juvie center parking lot with him either. I put the run in runaway.” 0 likes