Start by marking “For All Time” as Want to Read:
For All Time

For All Time (Time Travelers #4)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  1,559 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Annie, a teenager in 1999, tries to travel back in time to join her lost love Strat in Egypt in 1899, but instead she ends up in ancient Egypt and in great danger.
Published October 9th 2001 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about For All Time, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jordan Rodgers
Carol
Picked this up because I couldn't just read 3 out of 4 books in a series and stop. Well I should have. It wasn't nearly as charming as the other three and the plot seemed to be all over the place. Still good for some nostalgic middle schoolish reading though.
Kayla Edwards
Until running across one completely by accident a few weeks ago, I had completely forgotten these books existed. This is surprising since I was completely obsessed with them in middle school. I have always been a history buff so any tale where the heroine gets to travel back in time is right up my alley. I am no longer as smitten as I was back then (though middle school me is glaring over my shoulder demanding a 5 star review) but I still enjoyed this series.

This time around, I found myself a l
Annie
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a good final installment. Took a weird direction by suddenly careening into ancient Egypt and referencing Verdi operas, but I think it works, though it's very different from the rest of the series.

I can't decide if I like the ending, though. It's very perplexing. (view spoiler)
Caitlin
May 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
I adore the Time Travel Quartet by Caroline B. Cooney. I've been looking for this last book for about a year and a half now and finally discovered it at a library book sale for fifty cents. What a steal for a day's worth of borderline-trashy teen entertainment! The very end of the book was a bit of a disappointment, but I think I'll live. Totally worth my effort.
Victorianromantic
Dec 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the satisfying ending I imagined for this series, but good writing all the same.
Donnell
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Where the first book of this series felt, at times, that a story was being stretched to fill space, this book felt jammed packed with adventure. Talk about your sweeping canvas--a tale with three settings, in three different time periods, yet all linked to two people and Ancient Egypt.

We are there in Ancient Egypt and get a real sense of the dangerous, scary, sunbaked place it was. Also, nice twist to have travelers--from different times--meet in a third time. Still, though, there would be the
Jenny
Sep 12, 2013 rated it liked it
The last four books that I've finished have been Cooney books, so sorry Cooney, but this review will be brief. Basically, I liked that this book is about Annie and Strat again. I like the locations of Ancient Egypt, 1899 Egypt, and 1999 at the Egypt exhibit in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Very clever. I like the ending and the way it ties together the loose ends of the series. Well done, Cooney.
All in all, I recommend this book and this series, but I would skip the third book. It doesn't seem
Chelly
Everything was good in the beginning, with great build up, and I liked the new characters and happy happy but the end WAS TERRIBLE...it was so completely pointless and I was indescribably UNhappy. It was almost like I wanted to undo reading the first one because, like I said, POINTLESS
Carmen
Feb 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a surprising ending for the serie but very good indeed.
Elizabeth
These books did NOT have a happy ending
Lindsay
Review originally posted on Tsundokuholic.

Pre-Reread Thoughts

Back again for another Caroline B. Cooney romp, and the FINAL novel of the Time Traveler’s Quartet. Remember how the last time we saw Strat he was heading to Egypt with his two friends from the mental hospital? Well, Annie is set on finding him but somehow manages to fall back to ancient Egypt. Strat, working on excavations in Egypt…well, I forget, but I think he’s pulled back by time too? Maybe he hears her calling through the ages? W
Gaele
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
actually 3.5 stars
I was intrigued by the synopsis of this story, thinking it would be a lighter and less wordy approach of an Outlander story. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE those books, but I don’t always have the 2 days free to pleasure read 1000 pages, even though I have read each of the released books at least 6 times. I love the idea of time travel, and the added bonus of being able to direct where you go is intriguing and gives a sense of control to the characters. So I was excited to read th
Amy Schmalbach
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reading-again
This book appears to be viewed as the weakest of the series, but I've always rather liked it. I love the ancient Egyptian setting that Annie finds herself in - it was very vividly portrayed by Cooney and I enjoyed the adventure. The action in this was well-paced and exciting. I also liked the new characters Renifer and Camilla - it was nice to get some fresh perspectives.

What also made this book enjoyable was the fact that Strat and Annie were separated for a good part of it, so there wasn't so
N.N. Light
Annie Lockwood is a time traveler and she's yearning for her beloved, Strat. The only problem: Strat's in Egypt 100 years in the past (1899). She pleads with Time to send her back to Egypt so they can be together. Life is never that easy, as Annie soon learns, and Time transports her to Ancient Egypt. Will she and Strat ever be together?

In a brilliant conclusion to Caroline B. Cooney's time-travel series, For All Time is a gem. While this is book four in the series, it can be read as a stand alo
Melissa
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story! I love historical fiction and the inclusion of the history of ancient Egypt adds a lot to an already fascinating time travel tale. Of the four books I think I like the 1st and 4th ones best. The character Camilla in this story really resonates with me (as we have something big in common: being 6 ft. tall). I know her pain, and I truly rejoiced for her later happiness.

I also love that there are good and honorable people in this book. Some of the others have really made you scorn huma
Sandra Strange
Part of a series concerning the time bending duo: contemporary teen, Annie Lockwood, and her true love, Strat. This novel combines time travel with 19th Century Egyptian archaeology with 2000 B.C. Egyptian culture and life with 19th Century robber baron ethics (or lack thereof). The story is an adventure romance. The female protagonist travels back to the 19th Century to find the boy she left behind after an earlier adventure. Meanwhile, the boy works on an archaeological dig in Egypt anonymousl ...more
Sharon
Jan 29, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Probably would of liked it better if I had read the first three in the series but because it was on the shelf when I wanted a quick read - I read it before I discovered it was the 4th and last in a series.
That said, it tells the story of 2 people falling in and out of time and how their lives and loves are connected.
I think it is meant to be a YA book, heavy on romance and not really anywhere close to a 'science' fiction book abt time.
All in all - a good read for someone younger or more romanti
Nickie
Okay, so you know how at the end of book Strat tells Annie he is going to Egypt, but we the audience know he really takes Katie and goes to Spain? And it creates all the suspense about how Annie will never know what happened to him? Cause he didn't actually go to Egypt, so she is looking for records in the wrong place?? Well it is all for not. Cooney just wrote him into Egypt! Problem solved. Errrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Such bull. And then the end...so disappointing. Exactly why I was so hesitant to rerea ...more
Ginnie Grant
As always with time travel novels they can be confusing but the heart of Annie and Strat as always wins me over. I am unsure as to how I felt about their ending but I did enjoy the question hanging in the air when she noticed "future strats" watch was full of sand. I am glad that Camilla and Dr lightner found happiness though I wish Devonny would have been more mentioned in the conclusion as well as Katie. and I wish hiram sr had gotten more comeuppance. I wish she would write just one more book ...more
Jessica Mitchell
Jessica Mitchell, 11
For All Time
2 stars

Yep, this one takes the cake for the worst Caroline. B Cooney book of all time. (see, see what I did there?) I couldn't even concentrate one what was going on in the book and the overall plot was very confusing. I even read most of the other books in the series. Still confusing!
I couldn't get through this book, which would usually give a book only one star, but this book had a little bit of 'potential' if Caroline spent a little more time and effort on it.
Kay
Jun 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magical-realism, 2013
A much more interesting cast of characters, with several new ones introduced and more or less well developed (considering genre & context of writing). Fast-paced action with very short chapters. A little jumpy, but awesome nonetheless. I liked the descriptions of ancient Egypt, though the people in that time seemed the most like caricatures (in comparison to modern-day and Victorian times). Bit of a silly ending, but I think it was a good way to end the series.
Marit Thostenson
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received the whole series from a library giveaway, I believe and was eager to read them. I don't know why I haven't read the fourth until now, but really did like it. The ended disappointed me a lot more than I thought it would. Strat didn't seem the same to me as he did in the other books, but overall, I think it was a very good book.
Donna
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was definitely an interesting way to end the series. I loved the glimpse into Egypt in that time period. It was an odd ending though. Was that really the Strat that Annie knew and loved? Why doesn't he seem to remember anything if he is the same one? I loved this series and would definitely recommend to all the romance lovers out there.
Julia
Nov 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, childhood, drama
Jenny
Jan 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Annie tries to rejoin Strat in 1899, but winds up in Ancient Egypt instead. Strat is a photographer for a dig in Egypt, and discovers a mysterious tomb. Strat must escape the clutches of his evil father and join Annie in Ancient Egypt before she is sacrificed. Will time ever allow the two lovers to be together?
Adonna
Dec 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After starting this book I realized it was the third book in the series, but it wasn't sufficiently compelling for me to go back and read the others. It was set in ancient and Victorian Egypt, so that was the draw for me and I don't think the other books in the series have much to do with Egypt.
Melissa
Jul 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am upset to learn that this was the 4th and final book in the series. I didn't realize that when I picked it up at the library. I do want to go back and and read the first three books though, after I finish the pile of books that I picked up from the library the past few days.
Linda
Mar 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A satisfying conclusion to Cooney's time travel series. After their adventure in ancient Egypt, Annie and Strat must part ways to follow their individual fates in their own centuries. However, a twentieth century twist makes their parting less bittersweet.
Tiffani
Hated this book. I mean come-friggin-on. Totally they risked their love and everything and what happens?? He can't remember a single thing when he gets to her time and they never get together! Grrr I was so mad... this book is shunned from my personal world
The Ending 3 32 Sep 25, 2011 08:05PM
  • Timeless Love
  • No Time to Die (Dark Secrets, #3)
  • The Sleeper in the Sands
  • Orphan Of The Sun
  • Tempest in Time
  • Sunrise on the Mediterranean (Time Travel, #3)
  • The Chance of a Lifetime
  • Going for Gold (Angels Unlimited, #10)
  • Titanic: The Long Night
  • Circles in Time
  • Sixpence Bride
  • The Mammoth Book of Egyptian Whodunnits
  • The Wakefield Legacy: The Untold Story (Sweet Valley High Magna Editions #2)
  • The King of Mulberry Street
  • This Time Forever
  • San Francisco Earthquake, 1906
  • Thames Doesn't Rhyme with James
  • A Study in Scandal (Ladies' Amateur Sleuth Society, #1)
Caroline Cooney knew in sixth grade that she wanted to be a writer when "the best teacher I ever had in my life" made writing her main focus. "He used to rip off covers from The New Yorker and pass them around and make us write a short story on whichever cover we got. I started writing then and never stopped!"
When her children were young, Caroline started writing books for young people -- with rem
More about Caroline B. Cooney...

Time Travelers (4 books)
  • Both Sides of Time (Time Travelers, #1)
  • Out of Time (Time Travelers, #2)
  • Prisoner of Time (Time Travelers, #3)