Start by marking “Wild Magic (Immortals, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wild Magic (Immortals, #1)

Wild Magic

(The Immortals #1)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  63,405 ratings  ·  1,847 reviews
Young Daine's knack with horses gets her a job helping the royal horsemistress drive a herd of ponies to Tortall. Soon it becomes clear that Daine's talent, as much as she struggles to hide it, is downright magical. Horses and other animals not only obey, but listen to her words. Daine, though, will have to learn to trust humans before she can come to terms with her powers ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Simon Pulse (first published December 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Wild Magic, please sign up.
Megan I read this book when I was 12, I personally would recommend circle of magic series to start then when your kid is about 12 to introduce her to the…moreI read this book when I was 12, I personally would recommend circle of magic series to start then when your kid is about 12 to introduce her to the world of Tortall. They will be able to handle the romance a bit better. I hope they enjoy all of Tamora's books!(less)
brittany No -- there's romance in this series, and the love interest IS introduced in this book, but it's a very slow build. Nothing (romantic) happens between…moreNo -- there's romance in this series, and the love interest IS introduced in this book, but it's a very slow build. Nothing (romantic) happens between them until book 4. (There's a reason for that, but I don't want to give spoilers!)(less)

·  63,405 ratings  ·  1,847 reviews

Kogiopsis
I literally don't remember when I read my first Tamora Pierce book. All I can tell you is that it was Alanna: The First Adventure and it was probably an audiobook that my parents checked out for one of our infinite family road trips. I can't have been much older than, say, third grade at a stretch. After that first one, needless to say, I was addicted. (Yes, I read Lioness Rampant in elementary school. It was... educational. Then again, I was already into Pern by then, so...)

I also don't remembe
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I hopped into this book hoping I would not be confused out of my mind. I have heard of her Tamora Pierce's other Tortall books, especially the enormously popular ones about Alanna, but the premise of those books didn't interest me. I hate to admit it, and this is terrible backwards of me, but books about cross-dressing, disguised characters do not interest me. This applies to manga as well; don't even get me started on how much I hated HanaKimi. This series about a young girl with animal magic s ...more
I loved this story when I was younger, and I’m so glad that it hadn’t lost its magic at all, even if I’m a bit older now!

I loved Daine in this book and how strong she was! She fought so hard to protect people, and her animal friends, even if she was a bit stubborn at times.

I also liked the storyline, even if I have read this multiple times before, I remembered everything that happened but it didn’t spoil the story for me at all! I loved the travelling, the training, the dragon and other magical
Catie
May 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Catie by: Becca
Oh, these books are so lovely. These are like fairy tales for intelligent, empowered girls. The problems are black and white, the villains have simple motives, and the little girls are the heroes. I love every minute. And I will snatch these up for my daughters and say thank you very much.

These books are like middle grade or even elementary age fiction that’s been labeled YA, because they have mature relationships. And by mature relationships I mean young women choosing to be intimate with partn
Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
My thanks to Harper Collins UK and NetGalley for a review copy of this one.

While I’d heard of Tamora Pierce’s books, I didn’t really know what genre she wrote in, but when I noticed these books on NetGalley, and the description, a fantasy which involved a girl who could communicate with animals, I decided to put in a request. Wild Magic, the first of this quartet (the Immortals) was first published in 1992. This is the story of a thirteen-year-old girl, Daine (Veralidaine Sarrasi), who doesn’t h
Jack +Books & Bourbon+
Well, that was outside my wheelhouse...

So in my life outside of Goodreads, aside from the usual adulting that we grown-ups do, I run an actual Sci-Fi/Fantasy book club. Well, we started out as a book club, and then expanded to also watching movies, drinking wine, and generally hanging out and geeking out together about anything science fiction and fantasy related. Anyways, we tend to pick our books by popular vote, and Tamora Pierce was one of the authors whose name was being bandied around freq
Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^
Okay so first of all a great re-read for me. I love Daine!

Of all the powers in the Tortall Universe I love Daine's the most. I love that she can communicate with animals!

There was a lot happening in this book. I don't want to get too spoilery but it made my heart pound in excitement, fear and joy.

I love how Daine has made her own home and her own family with some lovely and familiar characters. The last bit where Daine says she goes from no home to too many is just key!
Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

DNF

As I have mentioned before Tamora Pierce is a well respected fantasy author. Lately I have been trying to get into her books. Wild Magic in particular caught my eye. I used to watch the Eliza Thornberry cartoon as a child. It sounded like that but in a fantasy setting. Unfortunately this wasn't for me.

I am finding that her books just aren't for me. I wasn't invested and just didn't care for the characters. I will not be reading any off her other books.

I do still recommend.
Madeline
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
After a short break, I've returned to Tortall, and guys, it's great to be back. I decided to resume my long-overdue Tamora Pierce education for two reasons: first, the Immortals quartet was completely new to me (as a kid, I had a passing familiarity with the Alanna, Kel, and Aly series, having read a few chapters of each before abandoning them); and also I found out that my sister has all four of the books in one volume, so I stole it from her. Sorry, borrowed.

The first book takes place about te
Lyndz
I wish this book would have been around when I was about 11, I know it would have been one of my favorites. As it is, I wish I knew a 11-13 year old girl who loves to read so I could buy this for her. If anyone knows of one and will let me adopt her for about 15-20 minutes tops, let me know! :)

One thing I like to do with books is going into them completely blind with little to no idea what it is about. Tabula rasa style. I often don’t even read the back of the book. Some of the time this “tabula
Janina
Sep 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
So. I've read up to page 216 now and there isn't really anything that urges me to read on. I have heard so many good things about this book and Tamora Pierce's books in general come highly recommended by some of my Goodreads friends. But I fear that if I haven't found anything that makes me want to go on up until now, I probably won't find it in the next 150 pages either.

Please don't understand this as a discouragement to give Pierce's books a try - this is in no way a bad book, it's just not f
Susan
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wild Magic literally changed my life. It was the first series I read with a strong girl as the protagonist (I read this before her Alanna series), and I wanted nothing more than to leave my horrible junior high behind and drop into Daine's shoes--even with all the bad stuff that happens to her. I mean, the girl can talk to animals!

This is an older book, so while it might have been YA when I was younger, it would definitely qualify if as MG these days. Don't let that scare you--there's still SO m
Livia Winata
IT WAS REALLY AWESOME IF ONLY THE TRANSLATOR DIDN'T MESS IT UP.

I admit this was a long reading. The translation in Indonesian is a mess. It should be a delightful reading. The story was awesome. I never know how much I miss epic fantasy until I read this and get this fulfilment feeling.
Dannii Elle
This is the first instalment in The Immortals series.

This managed to combine all of my favourite fictional elements - a complex magic system, political intrigue, a sprawling fantastical world, villains you can truly hate, an abundance of animals and the most lovable of friendship groups that had me yearning to become of them - and did all of this whilst also creating a unique and consistently exciting story-line. This may only be my first Tamora Pierce book, but it definitely not be the last!
Arielle Walker
If you have read my other reviews, you will know that I am a huge Tamora Pierce fan, (though I am now perhaps a little older than her target demographic). However, despite this I am not blinded to the faults in her writing, something which I discovered in the disappointing recent release "Melting Stones"So trust me, The fact that I've given this book 5 stars is because I believe it to be truly deserving of each and every one of them.

I grew up on a diet of richly rendered fantasy books, which inc
Rachel (Kalanadi)
I think this is my 5th or 6th reread? Yeah. Still a favorite, the book that launched my love of Tamora Pierce. Some of the appeal of this is lost now that I'm an adult and no longer identify so deeply with Daine, but it was still great! This book, and this series, was so hugely influential in my reading life... and I suppose in my life, period, too!
✨Skye✨
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free ebook version of this book from Netgalley. Thankyou to both Netgalley and the publisher for giving me the chance to read this! My review is still honest.

Believe it or not, this was my first Tamora Pierce novel! Because of this, I didn't realise until I'd started that I should have read the Alanna quartet first, but I still got the gist of the story and I don't think it impacted my enjoyment/understanding too much.
Wild Magic follows Daine, a young girl with a secret, tragic past
Beth
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Two stars, but that's not to say I didn't read this in one sitting, because I did. (Then again, it's not very long.) In order of least to most frustrating:

1. The note that "Like her predator friends, Daine ate meat" is pretty interesting. Definitely important to note and also - slightly weird? The later distinction that she can't eat anything she shifts to is even more important, because it tries to resolve the inherent contradiction between seeing these animals as friends and, you know, eating
kris
Nov 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
[Also read 15 December 2007]

Veralidaine "Daine" Sarrasi applies to work with Onua, the horse-master of the Queen's Riders, in order to outrun her past. In doing so, she stumbles across a hawk-man named Numair Salmalin, a mage who senses in her great wild magic. Now Daine's got to grow the hell up because hiding her past is getting in the way of being the bestest magelet that ever maged.

1. Daine's breadth of magic and how good she was at wielding it grew tiresome. Where's the true conflict if ev
Katie
I don't know! This was never as special as Alanna to me and it still feels a bit THERE. It all seems to come somewhat easy for Daine. No idea what's going on with the plot.

I do like all the updates on the Alanna characters. And I like Daine!

(Why couldn't Daine have more friends her age??? The few that are there are SO minor.)
April Sarah
Aug 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Wealhtheow
Aug 03, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of Mercedes Lackey
Shelves: fantasy, ya
After raiders destroy her happy village, a young peasant girl named Daine joins up with the Queen's Own hostler. They travel to Tortall, having dangerous adventures along the way. Once in Tortall, Daine discovers she has Wild Magic, which enables her to communicate and control all animals. Despite the many attacks by monsters, this book lacks any narrative tension, probably because I actively dislike Daine.
Arielle Walker
After having been so immersed in the Full Cast Audio Circle of Magic world, Tortall almost came as a bit of a shock. A few familiar voices in different roles made for an odd (but not unpleasant) experience. Once I'd gotten used to Daine again though, I remembered how much I had always loved this series too.

These productions are amazing, I don't know what I'll do when I get through them all!
snowplum
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I know, I know. Review in haste, repent in leisure. But I just finished this book and I want to share it with everyone I love. It's my favorite animal-communication fantasy I've ever read. There are three more books in the series, so I don't know yet what to say about the whole -- it may get even better, or it may lose the wonder that characterizes Daine's younger years and the beginning of her journey, as told here. I'll let you know. But this book can be read alone, and it's overwhelmingly spe ...more
R &
Jun 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: toxic-waste
Jemcat
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was, in many ways, a book that stole my readers virginity.

I picked this up in the school library when I was eleven years old, ten years ago. The cover, matching the one I now own, was a spider with a mans head, and in no way appealed to me. But the first chapter, titled 'A girl with a pony' drew me in immediately. Thank God for my horse obsession, or I'd never have discovered these books, and this wonderful author.

It was my first fantasy book. It was my first book not directly related to ho
Andrea
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read, own
I got to see all my old and favorite characters I'm in love <3 (view spoiler)

Daine was a good fit with the old Tortall group and I liked the new characters too, but I have no idea how to spell any of their names. Daine is fierce like Alanna but she's a bit more wild, which worked for this story. Daine's reaction to being told she could wear pants was hilarious and she was starstruck when she met J
Cupcakes & Machetes
This had been on my TBR pile for 3 years. My 15 year old cousin owned and highly recommended I read it. Since he's pretty wise for his age, I did. He also told me that he had not been able to find the rest of the series so, guess what he's getting for Christmas?

Here begins the tale of Daine. An outcast girl with the ability to talk to animals. (I was jealous at this point already.) With no family left, she and her trusty horse friend Cloud left her hometown to look for a new life. What she found
Amber
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-2017
I decided to pick this up mainly due to the badger on the cover and that I knew of Tamora Pierce, having previously picked up another book by her. I can say that this was a pleasant surprise.
Jennifer Wardrip
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Candace Cunard for TeensReadToo.com

Veralidaine Sarrasri--Daine to everyone who knows her--is thirteen years old, orphaned, and without a home. Her amazing rapport with animals gets her a job with a horsemaster named Onua, and the two women become fast companions during their arduous journey from Daine's homeland of Galla to the kingdom of Tortall, where they are to deliver their equine charges to the service of the Queen's Riders.

Along the way, Daine's gift for communicating with an
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Crown Duel (Crown & Court #1-2)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • The Wizard's Dilemma (Young Wizards, #5)
  • Sign of the Dove
  • The Waterless Sea (The Chanters of Tremaris, #2)
  • Hawksong (The Kiesha'ra, #1)
  • Forging the Sword
  • The High King's Tomb (Green Rider, #3)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 2 (Chrestomanci #3-4)
  • The Riddle (The Books of Pellinor, #2)
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro

The Immortals (4 books)
  • Wolf-Speaker (Immortals, #2)
  • Emperor Mage (Immortals, #3)
  • The Realms of the Gods (Immortals, #4)
“Does your ma know you're this silly?" she demanded tartly.
He nodded, comically sad. "The few gray hairs she has on her head are my doing. But" — with an exaggerated change of mood — "I send her plenty of money, so she can pay to have them dyed!"
"I hope she beat you as a child," Onua grumbled.”
233 likes
“Never break a promise to an animal. They're like babies—they won't understand.” 227 likes