Start by marking “Divided (Dualed, #2)” as Want to Read:
Divided (Dualed, #2)

Divided

(Dualed #2)

The hunter becomes the hunted. . . .

West Grayer is done killing. She defeated her Alternate, a twin raised by another family, and proved she’s worthy of a future. She’s ready to move on with her life.

The Board has other plans. They want her to kill one last time, and offer her a deal worth killing for. But when West recognizes her target as a ghost from her past, she rea
Published May 27th 2014 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Divided, please sign up.

Start your review of Divided (Dualed, #2)
karen
May 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
call it a 2.5

ranganathan, don't fail me now!

so this might just be one of those YA books that doesn't make it into the crossover appeal basket. and that's fine - these books have an intended audience and i am way older than that audience and just because many books geared towards teens have gotten very sophisticated and challenging these days, it doesn't change the fact that they were written with a different age group in mind, one which is still rosy with youthful glow and able to accept certain
Courtney Wells
Better than the first book in numerous respects, especially in expanding on the world-building and premise. I had a love-hate relationship with the whiplash pace for conflict and plot twists because it did keep me guessing and really squeezed a lot of story into a book its size.

My issue - which may just be a personal preference - West subverts or side-steps problems almost as quickly as they're introduced, which diminished my satisfaction or ability to feel suspense for a tense situation. It al
Trisha
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
so...small confession. I was not a fan of book 1. I'm not sure, it just didn't seem to explain enough of the world or the reasons. So I started this one completely ready to hate it.

BUT, SURPRISE SURPRISE! I LOVED IT!

My issues with book one and the lack of explanation are FULLY covered in this one. World building, history explanation - everything.

Which left us, instead, with a kick butt Main character West. She's done striking and trying to get back to life. But the striking world just doesn't wa
Ashleigh
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Read as digital ARC.

The Dualed/Divided world is a strange one, and Chapman deserves major credit for creating it in a way that actually makes sense once explained. This series is pure greatness. The action! The alts! The angst! All contained in this one city, the tension is high, and I am loving it. There are a lot of emotional elements at work here, and you'll no doubt end up asking yourself, "Would I be worthy? Would I be the one?" Among other questions. So good.
Melissa **Just Really Loves Musicals**
This was a pretty good sequel. I didn't love the first book, but I did enjoy it. This one wasn't quite as enjoyable, it took a bit longer to get into, but again in ended up being another pretty fun, interesting story. Only giving this a 3 star rating due to how I don't feel too attached to the characters, and the ending felt rather mediocre, with no real resolution. However, it was enjoyable, and if there's ever a 3rd book, I'll most likely read it.
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Last week, I got an email from Netgalley informing me I had been pre-approved for the second book in the Dualed series by Elsie Chapman. I remembered reading the first book in the series and it not really being for me, but I decided to give Divided a shot anyway. I am so glad I did. All the problems I had with the first book have all but disappeared, leaving a suspenseful, exciting, thrilling story that keeps you on the edge of your seat from the first page to the last.

In the first book, pacing
Received an advance ARC via Netgalley, the opinion in this review is of course my own.

Oh where to begin?

At first I really thought this book might get 1 maybe 2 stars, I felt it was slow and something just seemed off to me. Actually the more I thought about it the more I felt like the plot was about to be recycled from other stories.

Then the story got good, really good and I knew without a doubt I would be up pretty late reading the story.

Like the first book West was kinda on my nerves, but s
Isis
I would like to thank NetGalley and Random House BFYR for granting me the opportunity to read eARC in exchange for an honest review. Though I received this e-book for free that in no way impacts my review.

The hunter becomes the hunted. . . .

Erin Arkin
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ahhh..this was so good!

Divided by Elsie Chapman is the second book in the Dualed series. It picks up shortly after the end of book one and I found myself yanked back into West’s world and I loved it! I though Chapman did a wonderful job of building out more of these characters as well as the world they live in.

West is now a weapons assistant to Baer at the high school and she helps with the student training. She is also in a relationship with Chord and trying to get on with her life. As part of
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥
**Short "end of the month" Review**

Well, again, i have the major freaking issue. If this was me, i would take half the city out when i went to kill the other person. I would think the funds they would need to do clean up far outweigh the "balance" they are achieving by having them kill 1 freaking person.

That issue aside. Why would the government ask this girl who has done NOTHING but cause trouble for them to kill for them. They honestly think it would go right?! Come on. I see the problem ther
Deborah Morgan
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
A great conclusion to a entertaining new idea in sci-fi. Good work Ms. Chapman
Cassie-la
May 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014-reads
REVIEW ALSO ON: http://bibliomantics.wordpress.com/20...

When I last left protagonist West Grayer, it was in the novel Dualed , which while strong in premise, completely missed every single mark possible in terms of execution. Ultimately, a world in which two versions of you are brought into the world through some genetic mumbo jumbo (different parents are each pregnant with, give birth to and raise a different version of you) and only one can survive was an intriguing one, but author Elsie Ch
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Actual Rating: 2.5 stars

For more reviews, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

I’d actually decided not to read Elsie Chapman’s sequel to Dualed. Though I did enjoy Dualed (I was one of the few), I also was aware of its flaws and unsure whether I could overlook them again. However, Divided arrived unsolicited from YABC, for the very reason that I was one of the only people who read and liked the first book in the series. As such, I decided to give it a try. That turned out about as w
Jackie

Book Buy Links
Amazon
B&N

BOOK SYNOPSIS

Three started it all. One will end it.

Full of surprising twists, the much-anticipated sequel to Dualed delivers a fierce punch as West's decisions kindle rebellion.
"We need you to kill again . . . ."

West Grayer shou
Eve (Functioning Insanity Reviews)
It was my great pleasure to receive another sequel to read and review thanks to NetGalley and Random House Children's. It was provided to me for an honest opinion and as I enjoyed the first book I was eager to read book 2.

Divided by Elsie Chapman is the sequel to the Dualed which I previously reviewed here. A dystopian series about a world protected from the Surround, the only catch to live in the safety you must prove yourself and be a killer. Each person is born with an Alt, an alternate t
Yvette
“What if actually believing you’re the worthy one is the only difference between winning and losing?”

Former assassin turned weapons instructor West Grayer offers advice to her student, but soon realizes that she too must believe in her own abilities if she is to survive yet another life or death battle. Only this time, the outcome will affect more than just her own life and she cannot afford to lose.

In her second novel of the Dualed series, Divided, Canadian author Elsie Chapman takes readers on
Jen
Elsie Chapman, you have done it again with this sequel. It does not disappoint.

We return to the story of West Grayer, who now teaches weaponry at a local high school. She also attends the school. She is in a committed relationship with Chord, her dead brother's best friend. And they continue to live in a dystopian society where every person has an alternate, and when they are "activated" at some point during age 13-18, they must kill the other one. It is a society of assassins.

West was a "strike
Heather
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Liviania
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
DIVIDED picks up several months after DUALED ends. West Grayer has moved on from her life as an assassin, and now teaches weaponry. But the government has discovered that she used to be a striker, and wants her to kill three teens to protect their children - and they offer her the motivation to go through with it.

I enjoyed DUALED, although I had some issues with it. The set up of the society made sense if I didn't think about it too long. Everyone is infertile, and born through genetic engineeri
Leila Reads
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: take-it, netgalley
Until about halfway through Divided, I definitely preferred Dualed and felt that it could have stood alone just fine, not as the first in a series. By the end of the book, however, Chapman added enough complexity to the story to make a series necessary given the nature of the young adult genre (keeping the books shorter and more easily digestible). And aren't these dystopian books always trilogies with past-tense titles (like Matched)? Score a million for publisher marketing departments.

But I di
☼Professional Thorn☼
IF you liked DUALED you will probably adore DIVIDED. The wordsmithing is better and there are all sorts of plot twists and non-stop action that make this a fun read. Really, there's some good writing here with eye opening revelations.

For more mature readers I need to warn you that both books will require you to read with blinders on and the Suspension O' Disbelief Meter set at full speed ahead. If you ignore my advice you'll likely lose the momentum of the story every time some plot hole opens u
Keyreads
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
More like 3.5

I received a copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley for an honest review.

Divided is the second novel in the Dualed Series by Elsie Chapman. I won’t go into a full synopsis as this is the second book in the series, but think of Hunger Games set in a City and you get the idea.
I actually enjoyed the first book more than this one. The action in Dualed was nonstop and I couldn't put the book down. Divided started right where Dualed left off, but I found it a little boring.
Jillian Heise
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Just as suspenseful and action-packed as the first book, and none of the concerns with slower parts. I was sucked right back into this fast-paced story that had my heart pounding many times and was hard to put down. Divided jumps right back into the story with the aftermath of Dualed, and adds a twist to West's plans that has her questioning everything she thought was true. I enjoyed the larger roles of several of the secondary characters in this book as they all fight against time to solve a pr ...more
Laurie-Ève
Disappointing!
I enjoyed it but that one isn't as good as the first book.
There are a twists and turns but they are not developed and well exposed. We have a twist and the explanation of this twist isn't brought by the author. The author lets us down. On the other hand, some twists were predictables.
West Grayer was a badass character in the first one. In this book, she was a little bit boring.

Melissa
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this book, better than the first one. It was well paced and I have come to really like the characters. Every now and then I felt a little lost, had a hard time grasping the sci-fi parts and trying to remember the lingo from the first book. But overall, a good read, though you really have to read them in order so be sure and start with Dualed.
Kathy Davie
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Second in the Dualed dystopian Young Adult series set in an alternate history, one I hope never comes to pass.

I did receive this as an ARC from the publisher.

My Take
I would seriously recommend reading Dualed , 1, first as Chapman writes as if she expects you to understand some basics of the society in her story, and I have to assume that she spelled these out in the first installment.

Chapman’s put a nice twist on this dystopian thriller with a hint of Escape From New York, although Kersh’s in
Ashley Nordike
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
While definitely an improvement over Dualed, I felt there was a lot of lost potential in this sequel. Many factors came into play that, while gripping the reader, eventually fizzled out or played out into nothing. The writing was still bland but fortunately wasn’t AS repetitive or annoying at times as much as Dualed. On the other hand, this book actually gripped me in suspense and even made me laugh a time or two. West’s abilities have greatly improved and while she definitely still makes horrib ...more
Misty Baker
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
** As posted on KindleObsessed blog **

When Elsie Chapman’s publicists first contacted me about reviewing “Divided” I was quick to say yes. I hadn’t read “Dualed” yet (even though it had been out for more than a year, and I had it sitting there waiting for me) but I remember it’s synopsis and how intriguing it sounded. But it wasn’t until I finished “Dualed” a few days ago that I realized agreeing to “Divided” might not have been the best decision. Not because I disliked it’s predecessor. (Quite
pdbkwm
Oct 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Considering how disappointed I was with Dualed, I'm surprised by how much better Divided was...as long as you suspend your disbelief and just go with the flow. That's exactly what I did and found myself enjoying things.

It's still not perfect and the reader is left with even more questions by the end with no real resolution, which really sucks because Divided reads more like the second book in a trilogy and not the final book of a duology. Just when we got to the exciting bit, it ends.

There is st
Daniel
Jun 29, 2014 rated it liked it
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 3.5 of 5

Divided, by Elsie Chapman, is the second book in a YA series.  I have not read book one (Dualed), though a sampler was provided by the publisher, through NetGalley, which did give me a little taste of what the series would be about.

What we have is a future/alternate world in which a community is controlled by a corrupt governing board.  All children are born with a genetic alternate ("Alt") twin.  To become 'complete' eac
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Requiem (Delirium, #3)
  • Rebel (Reboot, #2)
  • Paperboy
  • Meet Maddi - Ooops! (Diary of an Almost Cool Girl #1)
  • Julia Jones' Diary / Horse Mad Girl / Diary of an Almost Cool Girl / Diary of Mr TDH
  • The Forgotten Sisters (Princess Academy, #3)
  • La Saison des ravages (Apocalypse blues, #1)
  • Mourir sur Seine
  • Pandemonium (Delirium, #2)
  • What Reggie Did on the Weekend: Seriously! (The Reggie Books Book 1)
  • Champion (Legend, #3)
  • Prodigy (Legend, #2)
  • Only Ashes Remain (Market of Monsters, #2)
  • Legend (Legend, #1)
  • In the After (In the After, #1)
  • The Line Tender
  • Infinite Risk (Immortal Game, #3)
  • Always Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist
Hi there, Goodreads! I don't check messages or friend requests here. If you'd like to contact me, please find me at my website or on twitter. Thank you!

Elsie Chapman grew up in Prince George, Canada, and has a degree in English literature from the University of British Columbia. She is the author of the YA novels Dualed, Divided, Along the Indigo, and Caster as well as the MG novel All the Ways Ho

Dualed (2 books)