Start by marking “Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)

Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  1,785 Ratings  ·  212 Reviews
In a post-apocalyptic world, where the earth is buried by asteroid dust that’s mutated the DNA of some humans, orphaned, sixteen-year-old Glory must protect her younger brother and escape the domed city that’s been her entire world.

Outside in the ruins, they’re pursued by the authorities and by sadistic, scab-covered Shredders who are addicted to the lethal-to-humans dust
Published October 30th 2012 by Amazon Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Deviants, please sign up.

Alexa
Aug 09, 2012 rated it liked it

My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

Three years ago Glory's father murdered her mother and paralyzed her younger brother Drake. Her father turned out to be a Deviant, which are humans with powerful and usually dangerous abilities. He was thrown out of the domed city of Haven and perished in the hands of the Shredders, psychotic creatures that enjoy torturing and killing humans. Since then, Glory has been taking care of her brother in secret. Because after the death of the
Chris Dunham
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
I loved this book!!! I took every stolen moment that I could to continue reading. The story is dystopian, but doesn't feel too dark or depressing. The characters have great relationships that felt genuine. Thier journey was incredible, sooo much happens and you watch them grow and learn to love and trust each other. They question not only themselves, but their world views. There is romance that is believable,it will leave you rooting for these characters ,and feel for them when things seem impo ...more
☘Misericordia☘  ✺❂❤❣
4.5

Q:
I feel so safe, so warm, and the sensation of being held is at once familiar and foreign. Like I’ve come home to a place I’d forgotten. (c)
Q:
Air rushes past my ears, cooling my skin against the sun that’s transformed the sky from pale gray to pink and now blue, like some kind of miracle Burn called a sunrise. After he explained the whole earth/sun/moon thing again, I think I understand.(c)
Q:
A girl whose emotions kill isn’t meant to have love.
But in spite of that, I smile. I’m the luckiest
Paula Watkinson
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Compelling, believable characters, rich descriptions and imaginative world building, and most important -really good storytelling. This book is going on my keeper shelf. Can't wait for the movie!!
Alex Shrugged
"Deviants" by Maureen McGowan is not my cup of tea, but it wasn't horrible. Not the best way to start a review but I like to be upfront, I didn't like the book for the first half of it. It is a teen girl scifi dystopia novel similar to "Under the Never Sky" by Veronica Rossi. It is about the same level in terms of writing skills. The story itself will probably appeal to teenage girls who are boy crazy but for an old guy like me, the main character "Glory" reminded me of every whiny ex-girlfriend ...more
Natalie
I started this awhile ago, read about half, and then got annoyed, so I just stopped. Glory is kind of an annoying character. Her emotions are all over the place, which is kind of weird, because she's supposed to have a firm control over them. She's supposed to come across as tough, but she often comes across as the stereotypical "melodramatic, irrational, female" - a trope that I completely loathe.

Glory has been hiding her paralyzed brother and protecting him from the Comps (police) for three y
Cris Lightwood
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La verdad es que a mi me ha gustado bastante. Quizá porque iba sin expectativas lo he disfrutado bastante más y me he llevado alguna que otra sorpresilla por el camino. Ha tenido acción, ha sido algo crudo a ratos y me ha sorprendido. A ver qué tal seguirá la segunda parte, porque promete después de ese final :).
Michelle
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A dystopian novel with a little bit of everything

This story was a delightful read from start to finish. Glory is just trying to get by on what little she has and protect her brother while keeping secrets from her friends. She has these special powers which at first when we're introduced to them takes a bit of a back seat to the much larger revelation that her father might be alive. What follows is a journey that takes the reader on an adventure after the world's has gone to hell.

There's somethin
Jo Ladzinski
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Deviants is probably the most scientifically sound dystopian-type novel I have read in a while. The premise is simple: Earth has undergone an environmental catastrophe, so society has walled itself in a Dome to protect themselves from the Dust outside. Our protagonist, Glory, is a Deviant, someone who shares DNA with a beast called a Shredder. While she might not be agreeable or she might not make the brightest decisions, she is fiercely loyal to her family and herself. All her decisions seem to ...more
Step Into Fiction
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jessica
This book really surprised me. I was expecting to like or rather, I was hoping to like it but I didn't realize I would enjoy it as much as I did. I absolutely fell in to this world and this story. I love post-apocalyptic & dystopian stories as much as I love my paranormal/fantasy novels. This book is as addicting as it is intriguing. The characters are awesome, especially Burn, the world is fantastic and horrible at the same time and the possibilities to where this story could take is us end ...more
Molly O'keefe
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in early draft form - it's so exciting, super emotional. A young girl who can kill with her eyes - trying to keep her secrets, her brother safe, the boy she likes from finding out the truth. It's all so good. The first in a great series!!
Holly
Jul 11, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Do you guys know what a 'mockbuster' is? For all intents and purposes, mockbusters are low budget films typically made by production companies such as The Asylum. These companies capitalise on already established movies in an attempt to trick less savvy people into buying them, and thus tend to make quite a hefty profit out of exploiting their audience. Take Transmorphers for example, or Paranormal Entity, or Ratatoing (I swear to God that Ratatoing is a thing).

Now I don't know what the literary
Alexandra
3/24/17 $.99 for Kindle.
Wolfkin
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of The Hunger Games and/or Uglies
Shelves: first-reads
It would be an insult to the author to suggest that Deviants is a copy-cat story. I'm not above doing that. I just don't particularly feel like that's what's going on here. Especially with just one book in the Dust Chronicles series. That aside it is clear that Deviants succeeds for exactly the reasons that The Hunger Games and Uglies succeeds.

On one hand the similarities in themes are hard not to notice. On the other hand these are hardly unique themes (as anyone whose even heard of Battle Roya
Jessica (Step Into Fiction)
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, 5-stars
Review originally posted at Step Into Fiction

This book really surprised me. I was expecting to like or rather, I was hoping to like it but I didn't realize I would enjoy it as much as I did. I absolutely fell in to this world and this story. I would like to thank the author, Maureen McGowan and Deborah from Amazon for sending me a copy of this ARC to read & review.

Mariela
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro fue una gran sorpresa, no había escuchado hablar de él y no tenía idea de qué trataba, pero a pesar de seguir los patrones básicos de una distopía, un mundo post apocalíptico, una ciudad separada por clases, hambre, miedo, hacinamiento, poca información sobre lo que pasa en realidad, tiene la particularidad de que muchos de sus habitantes mutaron a causa del polvo generado por el asteroide que impactó con la Tierra.

Glory, la protagonista, obviamente es mutante y en Haven cazan a los m
Victoria Strauss
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Dome is the last community of human survivors on an asteroid-devastated Earth, which is now the province of savage Shredders and lethal Dust. Or so say the privileged elite who run the Dome. But when orphaned, 16-year-old Glory--whose power to kill with a glance makes her one of the Deviants who are feared and hated by the Dome's inhabitants--is forced to run for her life to protect her crippled brother, she discovers that the world, and the Dome, are nothing like she has been taught to beli ...more
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Deviants by Maureen McGowen

Young adult novel set in a post-apocalyptic world. I was hooked and enthralled from the first page. Catching and eating rats! Ugh, but that's the world. Glory and brother Drake live in a walk-in closet and can't imagine more space.
Yes, we've read about enclosed worlds with painted ceilings and a fake sun before but this book includes shaky bridges between high rises and stair landings where families live. The heroine travels through windows, on ledges, up and down rope
Nicole Luiken
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read in one day. The stakes are high as Glory seeks to conceal her own 'deviant' power and provide for her younger brother in a dystopian future where discovery will mean death. Strong conflict and good pacing pulled me rapidly through the story. Both Glory and Burn fear their own powers, which provided lots of tension, and put an interesting twist on their attraction to each other. The ending left us well set up for more high stakes and danger in book two.
Quibble: I'm feeling a bit jaded about
Tina
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I won this book through a Goodreads Giveaway.

I really liked this book! It sucked me in right away and I finished it in two days. If you like Dystopian or young adult books, pick this up! I really liked the science fiction aspect of the book even though I normally don't read sci-fi. I can't wait to read others in the series when they are released :)

Highly recommend it!
Charlotte Copper
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was surprised how VERY MUCH I enjoyed this book. It was a wonderful read, and Glory is a great leading lady/girl. Yes it is in the dystopian future, the lead is a teen girl, and there is a love triangle, but no it is not trying to be Hunger Games. I can't wait for the release of the 2nd Dust Chronicles book.
Edwina Callan
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book, 2015
I read a couple of chapters in early December and then laid the book aside as it wasn't holding my attention.
Picked it back up last night and read until I couldn't force my eyes open any longer.
Once I focused on the story, it sucked me right into it.
Pure escapism and I'll be starting the next book soon, as I can't wait to see what happens next.
J.M. Filipowicz
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was immediately caught up in the believable and richly detailed world that McGowan has created. Glory is a strong protagonist whose merits go far beyond her super-human ability. She is a young woman going to great lengths to keep her younger brother safe in a dystopian world. What a great role model for girls and what a great story!
Sandra
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow que final. Me ha gustado mucho. Ritmo trepidante, mucha acción, personajes guays, protagonistas fuertes y una historia de amor que encaja. Muy bueno y recomendable. A ver qué sucede con Glory en el siguiente...
Sandra Dussault
7 jours pour passer au travers, ça donne une idée de l'intérêt que j'ai eu pour ce roman...
Avec une impression de déjà-vu dès les premiers chapitre et une héroïne qui me tapait sur les nerfs c'est même surprenant que je l'aie terminé !
Elly
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
For lovers of Post-Apocolyptic YA, this book really delivers. A strong, sympathetic heroine, a dark futuristic world and a doomed love, plus teenagers with X-men-like powers that they need to hide if they want to survive. I can't wait for the next one!
Night Goddess
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book and it was great. I nice change from the everyday vampire saga. Great job. I can't wait for the sequel......
Amy
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Paige
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Deviants is a great suspenseful book that had my eyes constantly glued to the pages
Britney
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book so much!I read it in a day! It was really interesting and creative and original. I can't wait till I get my hands on the second book. :D
What do you think of the cover? 5 24 Sep 23, 2014 09:06PM
Similarities to other stories 3 26 Sep 23, 2014 09:03PM
Young Adult Ficti...: Win 1 of 10 ARCs for Deviants! 1 10 Aug 10, 2012 11:37AM
  • Amongst the Ruins (The Chronicles of 2020, #1)
  • Famished
  • The Inferior (The Bone World Trilogy, #1)
  • Ravaged Land (The Ravaged Land #1)
  • Revelation (Children of the After, #2)
  • Hunted
  • Restoring Harmony
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants #1)
  • Verita (Verita, #1)
  • Story Time (Story Time, #1)
  • Twist
  • Creators (The Lost Souls, #3)
  • Larkstorm (The Sensitives, #1)
  • Eden's Root (Eden's Root Trilogy, #1)
  • Small Medium at Large
  • Exposing ELE (ELE, #3)
  • Midnight City (Conquered Earth, #1)
  • Cybernetic
Maureen has always been making up stories, but side-tracked by a persistent practical side, it took her a few years to channel her energy into writing novels. After escaping a previous career in finance and accounting, she hasn't looked back.

Aside from her love of books, she's passionate about films, fine handcrafted objects and shoes.

She lives and writes in Toronto, Canada.
More about Maureen McGowan

Dust Chronicles (3 books)
  • Compliance (Dust Chronicles, #2)
  • Glory

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
“Although—given the idea that my dad is alive—going mad seems a better alternative.” 1 likes