Start by marking “The Persistence of Memory (Mnevermind, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Persistence of Memory (Mnevermind, #1)

The Persistence of Memory

(Mnevermind #1)

Every day, Daniel Schroeder breaks his father's heart.

The two of them have always been close, which makes it all the more difficult to break the daily news: the last five years were nothing like Big Dan remembers.

They're both professionals in the memory field--they even run their own memory palace. So shouldn't they be able to figure out a way to overwrite the persistent f
Published May 4th 2012 by JCP Books LLC (first published May 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Persistence of Memory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Persistence of Memory

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**WOAH, now FREE at Amazon US! 2/19/16**

A new, awesome Jordan Castillo Price series has arrived!!<--- (Were sweeter words ever spoken?)

I adore JCP. Her Psycop series is a huge favorite of mine, and I've liked each of her stand-alones that I've read, so I had a pretty good feeling going into this one. I was not disappointed. JCP keeps delivering on these interesting, out of the box concepts in M/M, and she kills it every time.

Though this book was a little Total Recall meets Eternal Sunshine o
Nancy
Cross-posted at Outlaw Reviews and at Shelf Inflicted

45-year-old Daniel Schroeder and his father, Big Dan, own Adventuretech, a business that specializes in implanting fabricated memories based on a client’s needs. While the memories are temporary, the feelings of confidence, happiness, or inner peace that result are lasting.

Daniel developed Life is Awesome, a mnem intended to make his business rich. Instead, the mnem has altered his father’s past, seemingly permanently. And just who is that ho
Susan
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, comfort-reads, audio
Re-read August 2018

The audio for this is just amazing.

---------------------------------

I loved this. Quite surprising since this book isn't heavy on the romance at all (at first).

But the whole mnemography thing was just so intriguing!
I loved it every time Daniel was questioning whether something was real or not. It was confusing yet not.

Mnemes are a sort of daydreams, where people can have a good time in a sort of virtual reality kind of environment and create a happy feeling. Not a memory, sinc
Ingie
Written December 29, 2015

3.8 Stars - Tricky to understand at first but addictive interesting - part one of three and this will be great

Book #1

The Persistence of Memory didn't feel like a complete ended novel, so my rating may not be really accurate until all three Mnevermind parts are read. So far intriguing good.

I don't know if this is to be called paranormal, a bit Sci Fi, or just 201x M/M contemporary with a nowaday (quite gray, non glamorous and ordinary) North American world with som
Lyn
Audio - 4.5 stars
Story - 3 stars

Excellent world building, but it is more world building than romance. Looking forward to the next two books, and hoping for more romance.
Val Kovalin
This is a strong start to what promises to be a haunting new series set in an alternate-universe Madison, Wisconsin, where the intersection of neurology and computer coding form the mind-bending field of mnemography.

(Mnemography is a programmed fantasy sent via computer to a customer's mind, enabling him to inhabit a mnem experience that isn't confused with a real memory.)

First-person narrator Daniel is forty-five. (Thank God for sexy older heroes in m/m fiction!) He is consumed with guilt and
LenaRibka

2,5 stars rounded up to 3 stars

I understand now why Jordan Castillo Price is so popular.
And even if I had a hard time with this book, the writing doesn't belong to my issues.
I'd like to read something less focused on the technical aspect. Where I have more fiction and less of manuals.

This book was simply mnemoverloaded. I finished it totally exhausted, and I know for sure, I'm not going to read more of this series.

There were too many technical details that spoiled a fluent pace of the story f
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
3.5

I discovered Jordan Castillo Price's creative writing through her PsyCop series and have been curious on reading of her stuff even since. In 'The Persistence of Memory', Daniel operates a run-down false memory stimulator facility called Adventuretech. Daniel runs into a mysterious man while running some of the mnem's, and the two eventually figure out what is real and what isn't between them. Kind-of. Meanwhile Daniel has to deal with breaking bad news to his father every day because his life
Vivian
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: freebies, sci-fi
This review sucks because I'm too sick to write a good one.

This was freaky-deaky and I don't think it was just the Sudafed and Benadryl I've been sucking down. The whole is this reality? when you're medicated makes for tricky reading. That said, totally solid read, not really a romance, but definitely entertaining. Continuing on with the series.
Sofia
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it

Definitely on with the next one. After a confusing part JCP did not leave me floudering in the dark, things are way more clearer now, I do need to continue with the story as I was to see, I want to know.

Present rating after reading only the first part of the trilogy 3.5 stars - subject to change later.

Read with Ingela.

Leanne
I chose this after being blown away by The Starving Years by Jordan Castillo Price and it didn't disappoint. I found it to be utterly unique, thoughtful, surreal and heartbreaking. Poor Daniel is so defeated and sad... I can't wait to see how his relationship with mysterious Elijah will change this.
Book two cannot come fast enough!
Emma Sea
Nov 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Compelling writing, fascinating and vividly-drawn world.

Daniel's attraction to and interactions with Elijah make me uncomfortable. It feels like Daniel's not treating Elijah like an actual person.

It's difficult to rate a book when it cuts off so abruptly; I'm looking forward to book 2
Amy
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had to sleep on this one before rating and reviewing. I was torn between a 4 and a 5, but I just can’t get this book out of my head. JCP is a sci-fi master as far as I’m concerned. The world building and level of detail is amazing. The concept of mnemography is very cool. Throw in Daniel, Big Dan, Larry and Elijah and you have a 5-star read. I can’t wait to start the next book.
K.J. Charles
Fabulous. Lovely premise, great atmosphere - I am a sucker for shabby-junk sci-fi - and the author is ruthless in repeatedly pulling the rug from under the narrator's feet. Off to get the next one. Highly recommended
Chris
May 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent alternate reality m/m romance about a mneomographer who's lost his confidence after accidentally changing his dad's reality... permanently. And then he runs into something inexplicable during an mneming session... Totally sucked into this, and impatiently waiting for the next segment. *taps fingers*
Natasha
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 rounded to 5 because JCP is amaze.
Desinka
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First read: November 2014

Reread: February 2015

Is it possible JC Price is getting even better! She's already my most favourite m/m writer UF/sci-fi/horror/ whatever else she decides to write author!

Our character Daniel is in the business of selling fake short-term memories, or mnems. He's stopped creating his own memories since the last one he created stayed with his father permanently. Daniel is a loner and not really ready for a relationship. Yet when he meets a strange man in his clients' mne
Kaje Harper
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi, m-m, favorites
Once again, JCP has given us a wonderful main character in a believable setting with just enough near or alternate future contextual background to be complete but not overdone. And as always, I can't wait for the next installment. The idea of a main character who is capable of two different types of interaction in two different settings sets up a wonderful tension here. The way the narrator faces the difficult task every morning of reminding his father that the man has been divorced from his mot ...more
Natalia
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that there were several parts of this book when I had absolutely no idea what was going on. Still liked it though!
Gina
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was wonderful, although i will admit I found it difficult to get into in the beginning. but when i did, i was totally in!
Krissy
Awesome story. Awesome characters. Awesome narrator. Just so much awesome!
Maya
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance, sci-fi

I’m writing this after I’ve read the Mnevermind trilogy, and this one is my favorite of the three.

I liked Daniel from the start - he is troubled and stuck in one place because of an accident that happened to his father - Big Dan. To love your job so much, to be confident that you are great at it, and then to end up hurting the person you love the most by doing that same job – how does one recover from this?

And it’s not just guilt that’s crushing him - it’s his and his father’s dream that has be
Katrina Passick Lumsden
I liked this one, found it intriguing and different, much like the Psycop series. Unfortunately, it also lacks a little emotional depth, and the romance is somewhat off-putting. This is a trilogy, and I've read all three...the conclusion is rather disappointing, especially considering it leaves loose ends from the second. Price's imagination is top-notch, and she riddled this trilogy with words I love (packet, pixel, stacking, to name a few), so my mental voice was happy as a pig in shit. But th ...more
Jordan Price
May 03, 2012 marked it as wrote  ·  (Review from the author)
This new series is set in an alternate reality Madison, WI. It focuses on families and work and normal day-to-day stuff...with a dreamy twist. Daniel Schroeder is in the business of implanting recreational memories, and between guiding his clients and testing out his own equipment, his reality isn't always what it seems.

Goes on sale 5/4/12
Regina
Jordan Castillo Price has done it again. It is no secret I am a huge fan of her Psycop series, my fanship is such that I am purposely holding back from reading the last published book in that series, GhosTV, until the next in the series is published. I am that fearful of being without a Jordan Castillo Price book in my favorite series. Well, I now have a new series of hers to follow. The Persistence of Memory, is a richly written story told from the first person point of view of the main charact ...more
Gaby
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
BR with Susan, Bucletina & Elsbeth

If there's something that I don't think anyone can dispute, is that JCP writes wonderful stories taking the most unusual topics as part of her main plot, and incorporates brilliant and completely original characters that end up together in relationships that are kind of "out of the box". None of her characters are ever dull, boring, flat, uninteresting, paper-thin. EVER. There is always so much more to them than what is seen on the surface, and she explores
Toni FGMAMTC
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, sci-fi
This is a cool story. It's science fiction. People now go in to undergo these lifelike dreams. It's common place and after awhile they fade. Some trippy things happen. It's interesting and definitely not the end of the story arc. I'll continue for sure.
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Apr 01, 2015 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jennifer☠Pher☠ by: Amy
Shelves: m-m
I am quite fascinated by this world. I must continue.
Anna Kļaviņa
Song for Daniel Schroeder Kate Nash - Dickhead

1.5
rounding down b/c the book ended without resolution

The writing & world building is good but I loathed Daniel so much that I actually ended up hating not only him but disliking the book as well. I'm going to read the next book because I own it already but most importantly it's from Elijah's pov. If it would have been again from Dickhead's pov I wouldn't bother.

I didn't like Daniel from the beginning when he witnesses his client's "memory", he
Jess Candela
Review Summary: This book felt like a fantastic first date that ended abruptly, full of excitement and promise that leaves you edgy and eager for the second date, when you’ll finally start to really get to know this intriguing person (or story, as the case may be).

Review: This was a fascinating adventure and exploration of mind and memory, with heroes outside the “norm” for m/m. I also loved that they were both something other than the classic, youthful perfection of the typical m/m rom

• Bone Rider
  • Break and Enter (Red Cell #1)
  • First Against the Wall (The Administration, #6)
  • Santuario (Santuario, #1)
  • Sub Zero
  • Dark Space (Dark Space, #1)
  • King Perry (The Lost and Founds, #1)
  • Line and Orbit (Root Code, #1)
  • Something New Under the Sun (Falling Sky Book 2)
  • Song of the Navigator
  • In Heaven and Earth
  • Turbulence (Turbulence #1)
  • Irregulars
  • Seven (The Others Project #1)
  • Knight Errant (Knight Errant, #1)
  • Release (Davlova, #1)
  • Incursion
  • When You Were Pixels (Syntax #0.1)
Author and artist Jordan Castillo Price writes paranormal sci-fi thrillers colored by her time in the Midwest, from inner city Chicago, to various cities across southern Wisconsin. She’s settled in a 1910 Cape Cod near Lake Michigan with tons of character and a plethora of bizarre spiders. Any disembodied noises, she’s decided, will be blamed on the ice maker.

Jordan is best known as the author of

Mnevermind (3 books)
  • Forget Me Not (Mnevermind #2)
  • Life is Awesome (Mnevermind #3)
“The mall at Christmastime was not for the faint of heart. I overloaded about thirty yards in.” 0 likes