Start by marking “hello! hello!” as Want to Read:
hello! hello!

hello! hello!

Outside the world is bright and colorful, but Lydia's family is too busy with their gadgets to notice. She says Hello to everyone. Hello? Hello! Her father says hello while texting, her mother says hello while working on her laptop and her brother doesn't say hello at all. The T.V shouts Hello! But she doesn't want to watch any shows. Lydia, now restless, ventures outside. ...more
Published October 30th 2012 by Disney-Hyperion (first published September 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about hello! hello!, please sign up.
Quinsheeda It's adorable! Without many at all it shows us the importance of getting out from in front of the screens and enjoying nature. The whale flying…moreIt's adorable! Without many at all it shows us the importance of getting out from in front of the screens and enjoying nature. The whale flying through the sky is also hilarious.(less)

Matt
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Can children's books offer social commentary? Cordell offers some up herein and Neo picked it up as soon as we closed the back cover.
Jim Erekson
Feb 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy, picturebooks
So, the message of balance this book tries to teach is smarmy and preachy. BUT, the exaggeration through the middle of the book was hilarious, and made me think Cordell didn't take himself too seriously. I laughed out loud when the girl's frolic through the ubernatural world suddenly turned to meeting a soul-mate horse and riding bareback o'er the plains! And things just escalated from there (the gorilla was enough, but then another page beyond that goes even further!). I still can't give it a 4 ...more
midnightfaerie
Nov 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Wonderful book about leaving the technical world behind and immersing yourself in nature and your own imagination. A great lesson and an easy read, all my children enjoyed this one.
Donalyn
Lydia breaks free from cell phones and gadgets, discovering the freedom of her imagination. Simple, but poignant story. This would pair nicely with Blackout.
babyhippoface
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lydia, like nearly all of us at some time or another--usually when our phone battery is dead--would like a little personal interaction, but the members of her family cannot look up from their computer screens, cell phones, or electronic tablets long enough to talk to her.

With a sigh, she heads outdoors to see if there's anything out there worth her attention. Indeed, she finds a whole world out there, one that everyone else is missing.

Not sure how kids will like this but there's something about
Holly Mueller
So excited to receive a signed copy in the mail from Mr. Schu! This book is so cute and funny, but poignant at the same time. We need to put down our technology (ironic, I know, since I'm posting this after checking Twitter and Facebook) and pay attention to the world. Gotta love the spunky little girl headlining this story. Good companion to Blackout by John Rocco.
Guilherme Semionato
May 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Moratorium NOW on preachy picture books about the cold digital tech world.
Angelica
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Zap, Beep, Pow, Game Over, Loading, Loading, Loading, No Signal. In this story a little girl tries to find ways to amuse herself with technology such as playing video games and watching tv. But it look likes what she really craves is the attention from her family but mom is to busy working, dad is to busy on his cell phone and her brother is busy playing video games. So she decides to go outside and explore. What she finds is she doesn't really need technology to peak her imagination. She discov ...more
Robin
Dec 02, 2012 added it
Danica Midlil
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
What I learned from this book:
If you give up your electronic devices, you will meet a magical horse who will let you ride her. Then in Noah's Ark like fashion, one of every kind of animal will run in a parade with you (or in the case of fish, fly), but don't let your cell phone ring because that will ruin everything. Luckily, you secretly know that all your dad actually wants to do is ride a flying whale instead of doing his work, so all can be forgiven.
Nancy
Dec 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
I wanted to love this -- and did -- more and more, with each leafy hello and through the glorious stampede of animal hellos. Heavens I love the illustrations. But my love screeched to a halt at the exact moment she got her call and winced with it. Then this became a preachy finger shake at all of us. Little girl don't touch my phone.
Cheryl
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I must be missing something - isn't this preaching to the converted? Or is it a guide to help the imaginative reader reach the rest of the family? Either way, it's a bit too heavy-handed for me to recommend.
Leona
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
after being ignored by her tech-distracted family, little girl finds connection with nature. when her family notices she's gone, she runs home and is able to show them what they've been missing by staring at screens all the time. very sweet story, evocative pics, and timely as hell.
Susan
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
So if I put my phone down, can I ride a whale?!
Abigail
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Children's Stories About Stepping Away from Electronic Gadgets
A young girl attempts to get her family's attention in this picture-book from author/artist Matthew Cordell, only to find that everyone is too absorbed in their electronic devices to pay her any attention. She wanders out into the real world, where her "hellos" to various flora and fauna result in a wild, exultant horseback ride. Returning home, she presents little tokens to her family-members, wooing them out into the world as well...

I enjoyed hello! hello!, which pairs a minimal text with incr
Hannah-Grace Freeman
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fiction children's book with minimal words. It tells the story of a little girl who wants to play with her family, but they are all too busy on their technology to even give her the time of day. It isn't until she goes outside that she is able to say "hello" to the world around her! She eventually brings her family outdoors, and they are able to say hello too!

This book was super powerful for having minimal words. It emphasizes the importance of being present, and putting down your phon
Gretchen
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classroom-use
What I found so wonderful about this book is that it shares an issue about technology that I don't think our kids even realize. In fourth grade they think that technology is everything, and honestly, it limits their imaginations for writing. They simply take things that they already know from video games and rehash it into a story. Now, I encourage my students to use texts as mentor texts and copy things they like, try it on for size, but I'd like them to look beyond what they see literally, or ...more
Steve Holden
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I like the concept and lesson behind this one. A family is taught by a child to release their hold on all of the gadgets and technology to discover new things to be done together. I do worry about the reliance of all of us put on technology, and wonder how families balance it in their households. I grew up before this craze and ease of so much into every household. My wife and I certainly have our own struggles with technology and trying to keep ourselves free of the dependent feeling technology ...more
Juliana Lee
Lydia is bored with her video game, but when she goes to see what her family is doing she sees that they are all to busy with their own technology to say hello to her. Lured by a leaf floating in the door, Lydia goes outside and says hello to nature. Everything is real until a horse says hello to her. Then she starts meeting other wild animals including a dinosaur who all say hello to her. Sucked into her imaginary world, Lydia is only called back by a phone call from home. Everyone was wonderin ...more
Olivia Slykhuis
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like this story. It's mostly told through illustrations and text formatting, which is cool. Lydia refuses the stilted communication of technology for the natural world, and guides her family there too. Very simple story, cool illustrations. Goes from black and white (technology) to brightly coloured (nature). Not sure what age I would use this for...the simplicity of the text and the good pictures work for little ones, but I think to really understand what's going on, they'd have to be 5+.
Jessica
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great book to read to students and parents as a reminder to put your screens down and live in our real world. Tech draws us in to be very self centered and not live in the here and now. This book shows what can happen when you do.

I notice this happening all over in all countries. I always wonder where and what it is leading to. If you don't join them, you are left out..... Is that a good thing or bad?
Lynn  Davidson
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lydia is a little girl who is bored with all the tech stuff - tv, cell phone, computer, games - but her mom and dad and brother hardly communicate with her because of their busyness with them. She ventures outside and says hello to the wondrous things she finds in nature. Thoroughly enjoying that she comes home and urges her family to see what they're missing.
Stephanie Crowther
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This story’s all in the pictures. A girl finds happiness in exploring the world around her, saying hello to every little thing. She is able to encourage her family to set down their beeping, buzzing gadgets and gizmos to enjoy nature with her. This book would be useful to share a message about putting away electronic devices from time to time.
Beth Pofahl
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I quickly gave this book 5 stars primarily because of the subject matter--I want children and parents to spend more time looking at each other and the world around them (and not screens). Though I love my little screens, I think how sad it must be for small children to have parents spend more time looking at their phones than their beautiful children who will grow up so fast.
Phyllis
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A wonderful reminder that technology isn't everything. It doesn't have leaves, or flowers, or a gazillion animals! As one girl discovers that technology has its place, her family is reminded that nature offers us so much more! Well done with fun, supportive illustrations.
Leslie
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Timely story about what you’ll discover when you look up from all those screens!
Gwen Ayler
It's time to put down the phone and say hello to the world!
Yair Martinez
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's very funny
Taylor
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: eled340
Category: Picture books
It is important to put technology aside and make time for people.
Seema Rao
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
A little girl says hello to parents on the phone and a host of imaginary animals.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Rocket Writes a Story
  • Doug Unplugged
  • Abe Lincoln's Dream
  • Oliver
Matthew Cordell is the acclaimed author and illustrator of the 2018 Caldecott winner Wolf in the Snow. He is also the author and illustrator of Trouble Gum and the illustrator of If the S in Moose Comes Loose, Toot Toot Zoom!, Mighty Casey, Righty and Lefty, and Toby and the Snowflakes, which was written by his wife. Matthew lives in the suburbs of Chicago with his wife, writer Julie Halpern, and ...more