Start by marking “The Naturals (The Naturals, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Naturals (The Naturals, #1)

The Naturals (The Naturals #1)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  20,643 Ratings  ·  2,968 Reviews
Seventeen-year-old Cassie is a natural at reading people. Piecing together the tiniest details, she can tell you who you are and what you want. But it’s not a skill that she’s ever taken seriously. That is, until the FBI come knocking: they’ve begun a classified program that uses exceptional teenagers to crack infamous cold cases, and they need Cassie.

What Cassie doesn’t r
Published November 5th 2013 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Naturals, please sign up.
Kyleigh I wasn't sure when I started reading if it was going to be, since the first case had such a personal connection to Cassie and I wasn't sure Barnes…moreI wasn't sure when I started reading if it was going to be, since the first case had such a personal connection to Cassie and I wasn't sure Barnes would be able to follow that up with something that would wow me yet again. But I have to admit that she did. While the first book had the big reveal at the end, this one kind of revealed stuff along the way (sorry, I'm trying not to give stuff away). So naturally (haha) the second book didn't have the same effect, but the tension was REAL. Loved them both(less)

Lola
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Who says teenagers can’t be FBI agents?

Definitely not Cassandra Hobbes, a profiler recruited by the FBI to be part of their program.

She analyzes people. She can find the slightest details about someone and use them to solve puzzles. However, the training part of the program isn’t enough for her. She wants to help find real murderers and not play repetitive games that agents believe will prepare her to become the perfect profiler.

Suddenly, an opportunity strikes.

The main problem with this story i
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies

This book is Criminal Minds fanfiction, for the under-15 crowd. It takes a great deal of suspension of disbelief to read this book; and I'm not talking about the preposterousness of the idea that children---teenagers, can be FBI criminal investigators. The necessary suspension of disbelief from the reader's part is required in order to swallow the fact that a bunch of utterly incompetent, petty teenagers are capable of looking beyond their egotistical, self-centered noses.

There's this show I lov
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, 2017
REREAD OCTOBER 2017
Wasn't as good as the first time because obviously I knew who the killer was, but still, this series is so good!

JANUARY 2016
*4.5 STARS*
WOW. What a way to start off my reading year! This literally is a YA version of Criminal Minds with a tiny paranormal twist. The FBI has found and recruited some teenagers who are 'naturals' at certain abilities that the FBI want to trial in a new program that could help to solve some cold cases. The main character Cassie is a natural profiler
l a i n e y
You know what astounds me about these MCs in YA literature??

Their level of self-confidence which easily, and almost always, borders on the self-centered/self-delusional-ness territory.

I truly can't imagine anyone would hurt other people for my sake at all, let alone to actually end their lives.

But nope, not a problem for our Cassie here. Cassie who almost casually stated "I knew suddenly that he could pull the trigger. He wouldn’t hesitate. If he thought I was in danger, he would put a bullet i
Faye, la Patata

Man, this was such a huge letdown.

I was really looking forward to this book because I thought I'd finally get to read something like Criminal Minds or Lie To Me or, heck, even CSI. I loved those shows; I gobbled them all up when I first learned about their existence. The Naturals promised me that, but unfortunately, it was a disappointment all around.

These are what The Naturals consists of:

* 50% drama from an unnecessary love triangle;
* 20% of Cassie overthinking things, apart from being dull a
Veronica Morfi
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5/5

The Naturals is a great book for fans of Criminal Minds, CSI and shows like them. I am a fan of all those kind of shows and when I read the blurb of this book I was dying to get my hands on it. And I am really glad I did. This had mystery, murder, serieal killers, kids with powers (not exactly supernatural powers bu still...), romance, fighting. It was just perfect. Exactly what I was looking for.

The Naturals are a group of teenagers that are trained by the FBI to solve mostly cold
Lia Bonnibel  (pidgey)
Easiest five stars I've given a book these past six months.
To be fairly honest, it was a 4,5 at the start because it has little flaws that prevent it from being absolutely perfect, but since it put me in such a fierce and euphoric mood, I decided to round the ratings up. After all, if a book makes you feel something positive, that's a start, and a very good one.
I mean, yesterday I finished The Song of Achilles and, even if I loved it with a burning passion, it also left me numb like a rock bec
bella ϟ  [ bella farren ]
2.5/5

This book sparked my interest when I saw it marketed as a teenage Criminal Minds, teens with natural talents (such as profiling, statistics, detection of deception and emotion), being recruited by the FBI to help crack cold cases.

The few things that peaked my interest didn't really come to fruition, there wasn't much to compare to Criminal Minds and there was no cracking of co
Nadia Awadi
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love triangles are the bane of enjoying YA books peacefully.

First of all, let me tell you about how I read this series and DNF'ed it.

Innocent 16-year-old Nedia stumbled upon a series called THE NATURALS. She liked the series. The series liked her back. She found a fictional boyfriend called Michael. She started shipping Michael and Cassie. Nedia was certain that they will end up together. How could they not? But, Oh, no! Nedia was so so wrong. She shipped the wrong ship. That ship was sinking. A
Giselle
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, ebook
The Naturals is a hit or miss for me and very hard to review. Some parts of the book I really enjoyed, while others I found lacking. To give you an example - I'm not even sure if this book is part paranormal or not. As a serial killer mystery, however, it has its fair share of appealing qualities.

This novel starts by introducing us to our protagonist, Cassie, who's always been good at reading people with only the tiniest of details. She quickly meets with an FBI team who takes her on to train a
C.G. Drews
Muuuuuurder. That's all that needs be said, peoples. Go read this book because there's serial killers and murders and bone-chilling plot twists. I love reading these kind of books, but am I ever frightened? Um, nope. I always feel like it's definitely a book and not reality. BUT THIS WAS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! I was soooo sucked in, I actually felt my stomach churning. It's so incredibly well written it just blows my mind.

description

The only reason it's not getting 5-stars is I felt a bit detached. A few ti
Julia
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
It was a freaking mega fantastic book. I simply couldn't stop reading it. It was mind-blowing and thrilling at the same time.
I haven't been on such emotional roller coaster for a long time. I loved one characters, I hated another but after some pages everything became vice versa.
It was especially interesting to read the profiler's job - all their I-You-UNSUB thing. It gives you a lot to think and a lot to analize (and believe me I've seen all the episodes of CSI LOL).
Sometimes you just forget th
Fafa's Book Corner
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Mini review:

DNF

When I had first heard about this book I was hesitant. At the time I wasn't interested in reading this. I ended up reading the author's other book The Fixer. While I didn't enjoy it I wanted to read this book. Unfortunately this book was a mess.

It felt really sloppy and that too many things were happening at once. Cassie's thoughts were also a bit weird to read about.

I would still recommend this. Despite being a mess it does have an interesting premise. And I've heard that it get
Yusra  ✨
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
a pre good elementary mystery imo
Maddie (Heart Full Of Books)
WOAH. This was AMAZING! I really didn't expect to love it this much, but you can't argue with Xavier's Institute vibes and serial killer mysteries! It had my favourite gender balance of characters, three girls and two boys, was blurbed by Ally Carter and was all about teens training to be part of the FBI...literally all the best things combined into one book.

Sidenote: Although there may be a love triangle, it's VERY RESPECTFUL of everyone's feelings. I'll give an example: (to set the scene, thi
Berit☀️✨Traveling Sister✨
This is my first book by this author, but definitely not the last! Cassie is a natural born profiler, and is recruited by the FBI, to participate in a program with other natural born teens. This book had a bit of everything it's a mystery, some romance, some thrills, and lots and lots of twists and turns. I enjoyed all the characters and found it interesting how they used their gifts. Can you imagine playing truth or dare with somebody who always knows if you're lying or not? Are crushing on a g ...more
Maggie ☘ (Reader in Wonderland)
description

“None of us had normal childhoods," Sloane said quietly. "If we had, we wouldn't be Naturals.”

This is kind of unusual review for me, since I've already read the first three book in this series (In very record time!) Actually finished the third book - All In - just right now. This review will be completely spoiler free for all three books, I just want to mention a few of my thoughts on the characters and The Naturals series overall. I have to say that the first book was just a starter, each boo
Miriam
Dec 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, ya
This book is a built-in negation of its own premise.

Cassandra and her fellow teens are supposed to be "naturals" at reading people and deducing clue to their behavior (eg. knowing what motivates serial killers, telling when people are lying, etc) but this only ever happens in controlled testing situations. Throughout the book they are ridiculously oblivious and naive.

The book seemed even weaker after I noticed that the author has a graduate degree in psychology -- I had been guessing that it w
Wanderlust
I loved the book, the reasons it is not a 5 star are as followed;
* It was too YA to really hook me all the way.
* The ending was slightly predictable, I didn't guess it exactly, but almost.
* The "natural thing" kinda bugged me as I thought, honestly if some people could do this, then they all would of been rounded up years ago and working for the fbi/cia/etc already, it wouldn't of been a new thing.
* A love triangle.. jeez... how many times can this be done.. seriously.

Apart from those issues m
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
People are bat-shit crazy.
K.
Trigger warnings: murder, blood, death of a parent, stalking, serial killers.

So the second I heard April say that this was like a young adult version of Criminal Minds, I knew I had to read it. And that's a pretty stinking accurate description of this book.

The gist of it is that there's a secret FBI program recruiting teenagers with super powerful natural abilities where, like, behavioural analysis is concerned. It's basically the BAU, but with teens.

This one is basically just setting the sce
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
good lord i don't know why this has taken me so long to read. i had heard this was great but i never knew. i NEVER KNEW how great until UGH.

cassie is such a great character and yeah this definitely is tropey for a thriller mystery and is basically criminal minds in young adult format but IT IS GOOD AND YOU SHOULD R E A D IT!! cassie's back story is tragic but believable because jennifer lynn barnes wrote her character with just enough emotion but also enough real-ness? idek what i'm tryin to say
Praiz Sophyronja
Duuuuude. This was surprisingly dark considering it's genre. I was not expecting this to be as good as it is. I even lost a little sleep so, kudos Ms. Barnes, kudos. This was supposed to be a filler book that was kinda just there and I don't know how to NOT read... But damn. I'm mentally shooting myself for not having picked it up sooner! I adore finding little treasures like this hiding in the unpredictable abyss of literature that is YA. Will definitely explore more of this series in the futur ...more
Alexis  (TheSlothReader)
4.5
The mystery was super good. Though I did roll my eyes a bit at the teen drama. This was exactly what I was in the mood for.
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

I have no idea why it took me so long to read The Naturals. But I’m so glad I finally did, because I really enjoyed the FBI angle.

The Naturals is about a group of teens who help the FBI solve crimes with their ‘abilities’. This is genius, I mean FBI and YA, why hasn’t this been done before (or why hasn’t anyone told me about it)?

It’s these abilities that I found really fascinating. Cassie is a profiler, who can deduce who an
Lexie
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery fiends, profilers, anyone contemplating murder
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2016
Reviewed at The Honest Bookclub.

Oh, this book feels a little bit like home.

(Because YA mystery, serial killers, the FBI, behavioral science and psychopaths are apparently home to me.)

Hear me out. It's not how it sounds. Because I am the sort of weirdo who reads the Acknowledgments section at the end of the book, I now know the author to hold extensive degrees in psychology, in psychotherapy, and to have specialized in behavioral science.

And boy, doesn't that make so much sense.

Because to center
Glory
Sep 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Не могла пройти мимо сочетания своих любимых элементов: YA, маньячный триллер, расследования и сверхспособности.
И в целом очень довольна прочитанным.

Главный плюс: то, как показаны те самые способности. Не что-то волшебное и таинственное, а именно естественные таланты людей, просто донельзя развитые. Героиня не читает мысли, лишь анализирует все мелкие детали и составляет портрет. Да, чего-то она объяснить не может и "просто знает", но это ближе к интуиции, или скорее мозг уже обработал увиденн
Emma Giordano
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I honestly didn't even have time to add this to my "currently reading" shelf because i completed this book in whopping 2 1/2 hours, WOAH. This book was absolutely phenomenal! I am so compelled to do a booktube review of it because there are just so many amazing things I have to say about it! It was ridiculously fast paced and never had a dull moment. The author actually just tweeted me back telling me the sequel comes out in November, because I had NO IDEA it was a series!!!! I cannot wait for m ...more
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
For fans of Ally Carter, for sure! I really loved this book; it was fast-paced and the cliff-hangers were excruciating. I TORE through this book, wanting to know how it was all going to end, and I was not disappointed! I think the only cringey bit (that meant I couldn't give it 5 stars) was the necessary love triangle.
4A Independent Re...: Mystery (Week 3) 2 6 Dec 15, 2016 11:51AM
4A Independent Re...: Mystery 4 7 Dec 01, 2016 12:06PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #29 The Naturals 1 1 Jun 12, 2016 05:48PM
NO FREAKING WAY! 7 161 May 17, 2016 05:54PM
TV show???? 1 24 May 17, 2016 05:51PM
  • This Wicked Game
  • Olivia Twisted (Olivia Twisted, #1)
  • Palace of Spies (Palace of Spies, #1)
  • How to Lead a Life of Crime
  • Hereafter (Shadowlands, #2)
  • Spirit and Dust (Goodnight Family #2)
  • Prep School Confidential (Prep School Confidential, #1)
  • Game (Jasper Dent, #2)
  • Premeditated
  • Also Known As (Also Known As, #1)
  • Moonset (Legacy of Moonset, #1)
  • After Eden (After Eden, #1)
  • Hostage Three
  • The Rules for Disappearing (The Rules for Disappearing, #1)
  • Another Little Piece of My Heart
  • Broken
  • Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)
  • Loud Awake and Lost
Jennifer Lynn Barnes (who mostly goes by Jen) was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma. She has been, in turn, a competitive cheerleader, a volleyball player, a dancer, a debutante, a primate cognition researcher, a teen model, a comic book geek, and a lemur aficionado. She's been writing for as long as she can remember, finished her first full book (which she now refers to as a "practice book" and which none ...more
More about Jennifer Lynn Barnes

The Naturals (5 books)
  • Killer Instinct (The Naturals, #2)
  • All In (The Naturals, #3)
  • Bad Blood (The Naturals, #4)
  • Twelve (The Naturals, #4.5)
“Sloane slipped an arm around my waist. "There are fourteen varieties of hugs," she said. "This is one of them.” 54 likes
“You feel stupid. Doesn't mean you are.” 47 likes