Start by marking “Spider’s Nemesis (Elemental Assassin, #4.5)” as Want to Read:
Spider’s Nemesis (Elemental Assassin, #4.5)

Spider’s Nemesis

(Elemental Assassin #4.5)

This short story spans a period of many years, beginning before Gin was born and ending during the events of Tangled Threads. It is told from the point of view of Mab Monroe and shows how the Fire elemental grew up, including her first meeting with Eira Snow, Gin’s mother.
Online Fiction, 1st Edition, 35 pages
Published September 19th 2011 by Jennifer Estep

To ask other readers questions about Spider’s Nemesis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spider’s Nemesis

Steven
Fun to see things from Mab's point of view. Also fun to know that she's destined to fail at the hands of our feisty kickass heroine.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved getting inside Mab's head, definitely a scary and dangerous place to be! Can't wait to start book five now.
Theresa
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Stars... In the “Elemental Assassin” short story we are given a glimpse into the maddening mind of Mab Monroe as seen in childhood to present day... Details are provided as to the history with Eira Snow and the ultimate destruction of the Snow family... Mab Monroe is a chilling villain with her intensifying insanity and endless selfishness that gives no end to her wants and desires or the way in which she will achieve her criminal goals... looking forward to the ultimate showdown of Elemental ...more
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Poor Mab. Things didn't exactly word out the way you planned, did they?

Ehehehe . . .
Cyndi
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this story makes Mab seem even scarier than the books do.
Kathy Davie
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This short story is 4.5 in the Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series and focuses on Mab Monroe.

You can read this short story for free on Estep's website.

My Take
It's a mish-mash of Mab from her point-of-view and revolving around the day the Spider killed Elektra to her past as a seven-year-old psychopath and all the killing and whining she's done through the years. I'm kind of surprised her family never had her assassinated.

We also get a bit of back history between Mab and Eira Snow when they
Marsha
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Adults
One of the many things I loved about Jennifer Estep is that she writes mini books in between the next installment of the Elemental Assasin series. "Spider's Nemesis" introduces to Mab Monroe as a child and is told from her perspective. Once thing for sure, she did not grow evil, she was born that way.

The young Mab Monroe was a brat. She was never told "no" by anyone including her father. While entertaining a young Eira Snow she notices a unique necklace hanging from the girl's neck. Of course sh
Jo
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, gr2016
“There’s nothing you can do to stop it,” she rasped. “Not this time. Not this one. Not this girl. She’ll be the death of you, Mab. Mark my words. She’ll be stronger than you—she’ll be stronger than anyone for a long, long time to come.”

Now this novella was very interesting. Seeing things from Mab’s POV just made me realise that she’s even more evil than I originally thought. We get the back story about Mab and Eira Snow, and why Mab hated her. And we get a more in-depth view of that terrible

Penni
So good to see the backstory of the Snow family's demise from Mab's perspective and get more details on what happened. I had also wondered about Gin's father and what had happened to him, so was glad to get that detail. If it was in other books I missed it.
Jen
This story, told from Mab Monroe's point-of-view, was very interesting. It tells us that Mab (view spoiler)

Mab hatched a plot (view spoiler)
Liliana
Reviewed on Lili Lost in a Book

This short story is told in Mab’s POV, which was amazing! The short story actually spans several years, even before Gin was born. One of the earliest scenes we see was when Mab was 7 years old and on her first (and I’m guessing only) playdate with Eira Snow, Gin’s mother. I honestly can’t believe this rivalry started because Mab was a spoiled, jealous brat.

eye roll

We also get to see the prophecy that Mab was given regarding the Snow girl who would end up killing her, leadi
Nancy
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
An intense riveting story that gives insight to "Magda's" brilliant, twisted mind and memories. She is the "Spider's" archnemisis, and one crazy lady. A must read if your following the series carefully!
Alicia
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
This story did a great job of adding some debt to Mab Monroe. It was a great look into her very twisted mind and also her motivations. I liked getting to see a bit of the history between the Monroes and the Snow family. Even though this is from Mab’s POV the author does not turn her into a sympathetic character, she just shows just how insane Mab truly was, and making you appreciate what Gin was up against.
Ronda
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-favourites
OH MY GOD - Mab!!!!

We finally see the story from Mab's point of view and we see how she finally realises who this Spider is, who the assassin is that has instilled so much anger into her and the need for revenge...

We see Mab and Gin's mum as children... We see Fletcher Lane turning down the job and why... We see Gin's torture through Mab's eyes...

Woah what a path we are on, I am holding my breath!!!!!
Melindeeloo
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I am way behind on this series - but am almost up to date on all of the shorts now - I have to say that I really liked this short from the POV of Mab, Gin's enemy, and the fill in of Mab's backstory - she thinks she can beat fate but of course her actions to avoid the prophesy only serves to set in motion her own demise. This one actually grabbed me enough to make me want to dig the full length books off of the pile.
Erica Chilson
Loved it! A glimpse inside Mab's head.

This short story is about how the rivalry between Mab and the Spider's mother started. I enjoyed the look back to the ladies fighting as children during a tea party. Later you experience the tragic events that turned the child Genvieve into Gin Blanco the Spider Assassin through the enemy's point of view.

Gin and Mab give the term Bad-Ass, strength. These ladies don't wait to defend themselves, they kill you before the thought even enters your mind.

MsBDiamondDiva1
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow...this is a great short story told from Mab's point of view. Mab has been troubled for a long time; you will see her as a child full of hate, the need for power and just pure evil. But at least now you know that Mab is a power hungry bitch, just like Gin has always said. This is a must read for all of Jennifer Estep fans!!!
Jancy
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a great little story, I loved touching base from the beginning and seeing it from Mad side.
Back story just add so much to the original pieces, I wish more writers would release them.

Thank you Jennifer Estep for sharing this with us and I am waiting with baited breath for the next book in this series.
Marion
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Good story to see it from the bad guy's perspective. However I would love to know Mab's thoughts when she realizes that Gin was the one who had dual elemental powers and the moment before she dies and she realizes that she brought this on herself.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
From Mab's perspective, this was actually more interesting than I thought it would be. I enjoyed reading from her sociopath mind. I found it interesting that she commits patricide without a thought. Her father did raise her to be a disrespectful spoiled brat. We reap what we sow.
Heather T
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ya, a lot has been in the books before, but I really enjoyed this one. I think some of the repetitiveness is why I liked this one better than a lot of other short stories. I felt like she took the time to tell me the story and didn't just throw something out there.
melissa
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Much longer than most of the other short stories up until this point.

This one focuses on Mab and her dealings with Eira Snow and later her daughters, Bria & The Spider.

Carol***BeautyandtheBeastlyBooks
Even tjough I HATE Mab, it was GREAT to see more about her history with the Snow family!
Chapter 35
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
was stoked to read a wee nouvelle from the big bad evil Mab! awesome!
Michelle
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Free read on Jennifer's website.

A look at what Mab was thinking as she thought about Bria, The Spider and her past.
Sapphyria
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Told from Mab Monroe's POV, we get a glimpse of how the feud with Eira Snow began and how it lead to the death of Eira. The story provides additional insight into the fateful night that killed a mother and child and set the courses for two other daughters.

I enjoyed seeing things from Mab's evil point of view. We go back in time as Mab gets embroiled in the feud with The Spider and attempts to figure who The Spider is and what she wants. It's not until the end of book 4 that Mab's memory is trig
Nancy Brady
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Told from the perspective of the Spider's nemesis, Mab Monroe, this short story begins when the feud between the Snow family and Monroe family starts. Recalling memories from the past, Mab finally realizes who the Spider is. Great back story presented, and reminds the reader of the night Gin's rune was seared into her hands.

Another freebie from the author's website.

Tammy Kesteloot
Nice background into Mab & Gin's family.
Heather Romanowski Book Realm Revisions, LLC
Short story is on her website under Free Reads. It was fun to get inside Mab's head and see all the pieces fall together.
Netanella
Another side character vignette in the Elemental Assassin series, this one delves into the thoughts of crime boss and Fire elemental Mab Monroe, whose feud against the Snow family is the driving force of the series. My favorite part of this is the glimpse we get of Mab and Eira Snow, Gin's mother, as little girls. Very cool.

• The House at Cobb End (Cassandra Palmer, #5.1)
  • The Mammoth Book of Ghost Romance
  • Finding Magic (Downside Ghosts, #0.5)
  • Kate's Origin (Curran POV #6)
  • The Golem Hunt (Jaz Parks, #3.5)
  • Cat Tales (Jane Yellowrock, #3.5)
  • Blooded (Jessica McClain, #0.5)
  • Dreams and Desires
  • Violet Tendencies (Sabina Kane, #2.5)
  • One Hell of a Ride (InCryptid, #0.02)
  • Wild & Steamy (Includes: Iron Seas #0.4; The Disillusionists Trilogy #2.5)
  • Questing Beast
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea. She is the author of the following series:

THE ELEMENTAL ASSASSIN SERIES
The books focus on Gin Blanco, an assassin codenamed the Spider who can control the elements of Ice and Stone. When she’s not busy battling bad guys and righting wron

Elemental Assassin (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1)
  • Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)
  • Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3)
  • Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, #4)
  • Spider’s Revenge (Elemental Assassin, #5)
  • By a Thread (Elemental Assassin, #6)
  • Widow’s Web (Elemental Assassin, #7)
  • Deadly Sting (Elemental Assassin, #8)
  • Heart of Venom (Elemental Assassin, #9)
  • The Spider (Elemental Assassin, #10)