Start by marking “Technomancer (Unspeakable Things, #1)” as Want to Read:
Technomancer (Unspeakable Things, #1)

Technomancer

(Unspeakable Things #1)

A new kind of alien invasion…

When Quentin Draith wakes up in a private sanatorium, he has no memory of who he is or how he received the injuries riddling his body. All he knows is that he has to get out, away from the drugs being pumped into him and back to the real world to search for answers. His first question: How did his friend Tony’s internal organs fill with sand, k
Paperback, 1st Edition, 370 pages
Published July 24th 2012 by 47North (first published March 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Technomancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Technomancer

TheBookSmugglers
Jul 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Original review posted at Kirkus

Much of what we are exists in the mysterious realm called memory. Our identities reside there. Without memories, what are we? Virtually nothing. Since I had no memories, I decided to investigate my surroundings and build some new ones.

And just like that, Quentin Draith establishes himself as our intrepid hero, someone who is able to recover quickly and efficiently from the fact that he has just woken up alone in a strange room at a sanatorium, strongly sedated, ph
Kat  Hooper
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at FanLit.

When Quentin Draith wakes up in a bed in a private hospital he has no idea how he got there or even who he is. He does realize, though, that he’s being drugged and, therefore, somebody must be trying to control him. After he manages to escape, he learns that he lives in Las Vegas and blogs about supernatural events. And there’s a lot of weird stuff going on in Las Vegas these days.

Quentin soon discovers that the world contains a
Carly
Dec 27, 2012 marked it as dnf
Technomancer is you might get if you combined Jason Bourne and the TV show X-Files. The start of the plot is very Bourne Identity-ish: the main character, who goes by the rather romantic name of Quentin Draith, wakes up in a hospital with amnesia and a rather disturbing familiarity with the mechanics of violence. As he wanders around and irritates people, he discovers that something's going wrong in his hometown of Las Vegas: mysterious objects, each of which has a specific power, are appearing ...more
Glen
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
I'd put this at maybe a 2.5 if half-marks were allowed. I'm fairly certain this book's main premise was inspired by if not directly copied from the 2006 Sci-Fi Channel miniseries "The Lost Room", which featured Objects like those described here. I loved that show, and so I had high hopes for where this book would take the concept. Unfortunately, it got heavily bogged down in detective-story style mumbo-jumbo, flawed yet hot "dames", and obsessing over details of Las Vegas as though the city itse ...more
Cameron
I can't finish this book, due to these two problems.

1) The first chapter is a direct rip-off of Nine Princes in Amber. I don't know how the author got away with this one, as the plot is identical. He just changed the names and redid it in his writing style.
2) Writing style: I am not a fan of first person novels because most of them end up written so poorly that they end up sounding like a journal instead of a novel. Too much "I, I, I" and not enough focus on the environment he is in. I can't get
Scorchy Barrington
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm mot much for your standard whodunit fare, but add some aliens and the ability to travel between worlds and I'm in. It was fun. I'm going to read more.
Alan Mills
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alternate reality quasi-science fiction. Highly recommended.

Set in modern day Vegas, a man awakens in a hospital, with no memory of who he is or where he is, but with a well honed capacity for violence. His only clue is what seems to be a family picture he finds under his pillow. The set up is exactly like Jason Borne, and one may be tempted to quit, yelling, "rip-off." But after the first couple of pages, Larson takes us in a completely different direction.

As our hero (and narrator) seeks to ef
Pris
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book reminds me of several movies/TV shows--Sliders, Voyagers, Paycheck--minus the objects that gave the owners some minor power. Great concept and characters, fast-paced narration, so it was a fast unputdownable read. There was no technical jargon or deep scientific words. In some places I did notice some minor science-related flaws that should've made some things/events impossible, both in theory and reality and on this world or a parallel one, but then this is sci-fi so anything is possi ...more
Metalligazza
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
this is what the x files would have been if fox mulder had been replaced with Mike hammer with amnesia .
no doubt this is aims at the male reader as there is a lot in there that some women might find sexist .
as a first crack of the whip I thought it holds a lot of potential , and in the books to come hopefully we see a bit more depth .
I never judge the first book in a series too harshly because it is the introduction.
Katy
Apr 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: someone who doesn't care if the characters have no depth
Recommended to Katy by: Amazon Vine
Due to Terms of Service with the Amazon.com Vine program, I cannot post my review here. So, go to my blog - that's where all the cool pictures are - and read it there. A link to the book is included there. For explanation as to change in rating, please see full review at my blog: http://katysozaeva.blogspot.com/2012/...
Al
I particularly enjoyed how the beginning of this novel was directly ripped off from Roger Zelazny's Nine Princes in Amber, except not as well written. The rest of this book, until I gave up on it, also felt horribly familiar.
Celine
Aug 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
oh boy this was bad.
i didn't made it past page 53.... goes to say... it was really really bad.

first time i hated a book written in the first person. I I I I every sentence started with I.... ugh

thanks but no thanks
Fsanjuan
Oct 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
What did I just read?
Nat
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
It's like a mash-up between CSI, Fringe and Warehouse 13, (I don't watch too much TV). Absolute page turner.
Frank
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not mind-blowing, but not horrible, either. If we could give half-stars, I'd put this one at 2.5, but since we can't it gets rounded up as a bonus. At first glance, one might think the title would generally allude to the concept of someone creating advanced technology that was indistinguishable from magic, or possibly mixing the arcane with the technological to generate a hybrid of the two. Unfortunately, the book delivers neither.

Instead, we're given an amnesiac blogger of supernatural things,
Renato Lellis
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
John Perkins
This story had promise, but what really turned me off was just how sexist the book is. This really seems to be a theme for BV Larson, but at least in the Undying Mercenaries series some of the women exist as more than just sexual conquests for James McGill. Almost all of the women in this book are defined by their looks, and do nothing outside of being someone for the main character (Draith) to ogle at or to rescue from some misfortune and eventually have sex with.

The sexism on its own probably
Drew Hayes
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Unreliable narrators are not my thing at all.
Sexist unreliable narrators in a story with undeveloped female characters whose only value appears to provide victims and sex appeal is not my thing.

The story had interesting elements and a lot of promise. Unfortunately the story fails to deliver and the narrative continued to be unreliable.
Kevin
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is not what I expected at all. I thought this was going to be about someone using technology like magic (like the witch in the Demon Accord Series). Instead what I got was a bunch of Greys and portal technology. Not liking this one bit.

Well... I completed this book and have no interest of continuing the series.

2/5 Stars
Dr. Chris Davis
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I finished it so it was not the worst. Having said that, I was left with a bitter aftertaste after finishing it. There were too many holes and inconsistencies. Too many violent swings in characters at odds to being allies. The kernel is interesting. I seem to have been on an alternate universes theme lately. This was not the best by far and I won't be continuing the story in the sequel.
Tommy Mills
Good, solid read

The plot was a classic hero's journey. The characters were interesting and fully formed. I enjoyed that the story straddled across science fiction (multiverse, aliens) and the supernatural (magical objects).
D.K.
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this.
Sally
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty interesting concept. A little hard to follow in spots and the objects were.... trying at times. 3.5 stars.
Stephen Lee
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Book. Reminds me a little of Dresden files
david schmid
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good science-fantasy read

My first foray in to this genre. I really enjoyed it and would read more from this author. I recommend this one.
Nato
Jul 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
this book is bad and author should feel bad for writing this. I wish i had something else in my mobile phone to read during lunchtimes.
Nicole
Could not get into this story or the world. MC was very bland, I think I went in hoping for something like Dresden Files and was severely disappointed.
Mojoey
Interesting, but not thrilling. I'm unsure if I will follow the series at this point. The protagonist did not engage my imagination, he instead cause me question what was going on.
Frederic
The writing style took a bit for me to get used to, but I liked the world created and was gradually drawn into it and the characters -- enough to continue on to the second book, and hope for a third.
terpkristin
Audiobook from Brilliance Audio
Narrated by Christopher Lane
Length: 10.5 hours

This one had a lot of potential, but in the end didn't live up to it. Technomancer starts off strong with the main character, Quentin Draith, waking up in a hospital, not remembering any details about his life...not even his name. From there, the reader (listener, in my case) is taken on a bit of a "mystery-thriller" type book with science fiction/supernatural elements thrown in. The reader learns about Quentin as he le
Read with Me: Week Three: Technomancer 1 6 Jan 20, 2014 06:03PM
  • No Peace for the Damned (Damned, #1)
  • Grave of Angels
  • Monstrous
  • Carnival For The Dead
  • The Seventh Day
  • PSYREN-サイレン- 11
  • Patient One (Dr. David Ballineau and Carolyn Ross #1)
  • Pandora's Legions
  • The Sea Hag
  • Tag (The Zumar Chronicles, #1)
  • Battle Hill Bolero (Bone Street Rumba, #3)
  • Far From Home: The Complete Series (Far From Home #1-12)
  • Samurai Deeper Kyo, Volume 24
  • The Devil's Colony
  • Clean (Mindspace Investigations, #1)
  • Lost Secrets of the Sacred Ark: Amazing Revelations of the Incredible Power of Gold
  • Gods and Warriors (Gods and Warriors, #1)
  • Full Metal Panic! Volume 8 (Full Metal Panic!, #8)
Brian Larson is an American science fiction and fantasy author

Unspeakable Things (3 books)
  • The Bone Triangle (Unspeakable Things, #2)
  • The Elixir (Unspeakable Things, #3)
“If I went around talking about these vortexes, even with some evidence, I was unlikely to be met with enthusiasm and praise. Sometimes people just believed what they wanted to believe.” 0 likes
“time.” 0 likes