Start by marking “Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes” as Want to Read:
Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes

Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes

In her hit Food Network show Everyday Italian, Giada De Laurentiis shows you how to cook delicious, beautiful food in a flash. And here, in her long-awaited first book, she does the same—helps you put a fabulous dinner on the table tonight, for friends or just for the kids, with a minimum of fuss and a maximum of flavor. She makes it all look easy, because it is.

Everyday
Published February 22nd 2005 by Clarkson Potter

Start your review of Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes
Amy Kannel
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food, library, italy
I get that Giada is gorgeous. Really, she is. Stunningly so. But when I open a cookbook, I expect to see photos of, I don't know, the food described in the recipes maybe? Instead it is: Giada stirring a pot of something. Giada chopping something. Giada's million-dollar smile as she juices a lemon. I MEAN SERIOUSLY. This is a cookbook, not a fashion magazine. Good grief. Photos of garlic, photos of a cutting board + knife. SHOW ME WHAT THE PREPARED FOOD LOOKS LIKE!!

Mostly this seemed not really m
Christine
Jul 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
OK, I have some strong opinions about the Food Network stars and I happen to love Giada. I do not like Rachel Ray, by the way, and don't get me started on lame-ass Sandra Lee. Crazy Ida will probably have a breakdown one day when that husband of hers who is never around finally leaves her, but she does know how to cook well though.

Anyway, Giada has it all: the perfect body, adoring husband, impeccable cooking skills, a winning personality, the most current Anthropologie wardrobe, and friends mi
Allison
Aug 08, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
Shelves: cookbooks
Folks, proscuitto wrapped around roasted asparagus is not a recipe, its a nice suggestion. If you want nice, boring quasi-Italian suggestions, then by all means, by this book. On second thought, don't by this book, it sucks. Lidia's books have recipes and suggestions. ...more
Mary Frasier
Oct 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Everything from anti-pasti to dolce' in an easy to follow format and with beautiful photos of the finished food. The Crostata with Mushrooms and Pancetta (page 28) looks and tastes like something you would be served in a 3 Michelin Star restaurant, yet it is so easy to prepare, even for the beginner home cook.

Most of the ingredients in these recipes are easily found in a well stocked pantry. Loved it and use it as one of my day to day "go to" cookbooks. As a barkeep would keep his/her finer liqu
Devon
Jun 09, 2011 rated it liked it
I love Giada de Laurentiis. She is a model chef, mother and wife and has the cutest style and her show "Everyday Italian."

This cookbook is wonderful if you want to cook tradition Italian dishes. I love the tortellini in chicken broth.

My one complaint in this book is that she doesn't bring anything contemporary into these dishes. I love anything traditional, but I wanted her cookbook to see a new twist on some of these everyday italian meals.

I am very excited to try her desserts!!
Shawn Grant
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't remember much about this book, but it taught me how to make risotto. For that I will ever be grateful. ...more
Jess | dapper.reads
Cookbooks are books!

I love reading cookbooks! I am aware that many people do not consider a cookbook to be reading material, but if you take the time to really sit down and read one I think you’ll discover that while yes, it is primarily recipes, it is also an incredibly educational experience! I always learn so much about finding the best produce for my needs or knowing when spices need replaced (even if they are far from expiring). This book taught me a lot of things about making authentic Ita
Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)
Since I checked this out from the library, I only had time to make a few of the recipes, all of which were really good! Plus, there’s a few more I wanted to try, but I didn’t get the chance. It’s definitely something I want to buy when I get the chance. Or maybe I can just check it out from the librayr another time. The recipes I did make were interesting: lots of fresh herbs and veggies! I managed to not hurt myself while chopping the vegetables up, which is a miracle. And washing/rinsing and t ...more
Kristl
May 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: hungry people, but not my sister
I love Giada. I love Giada's books, I love Giada's recipes, I love Giada's show, I love how Giada says "crunchy," heck, I love Giada's clothes.

I love basil, tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil (I needn't cutesy abbreviate here or the Food Network world might implode), parmesano reggiano, and I love basil some more.

The recipes in Everyday Italian are fresh, simple(ish), and easily shopped-for.

I only refrained from the final star because not everyone loves the fresh Italian palate all the time (all t
Janet
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this cookbook -- the "everyday" concept is delivered in an approachable way. The majority of the ingredients are readily available and in my local grocery store. None of the recipes seem daunting. I can't wait to try them!

The bonus for me was that this was a downloadable library book. I would have passed this by at the bookstore, but the no-risk opportunity to thumb through it (albeit virtually) led to my reading every recipe.

Douglas
Sep 09, 2006 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People that enjoy cooking
Shelves: cooking
Some great receipes in this book. I cook for my mom and my girlfriend. They all loved many of the receipes I made for them. If you love italian food, you NEED to get this book!
Meredith Henning
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Quintessential Giada...my go to for Italian anything :)
Loretta
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Great Marinara recipe. Very close to my own Nana's. ...more
Robin
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This was my pick for this month's Cookbook Book Club at my library. One of the things the group enjoyed about this book was that Giada didn't call for any unusual or expensive ingredients. We only ended up with 2 desserts from the 13 participants. We had a LOT of vegetable based dishes which was fine with me. I made a bean dip from cannellini beans which was yummy and I'm sure I will use again. My husband did sauteed broccoli rabe with pine nuts and raisins, also a tasty dish. Our only other com ...more
Denise Mullins
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tried a number of her recipes, and while the desserts were all winners, her take on common fare was a little too out there for my family to rank as s keeper(salmon cakes with mayonnaise and saltines proved alarmingly inedible). However, there were plenty of color photos and recipes were well explained. Would recommend for those who enjoy recipe books and cooking in general.
My library's cooking club worked with her series and it proved to be a great discussion.
Shirin
Jan 25, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This is the book that I learned how to make marinara sauce from after two other attempts using recipes I found on the internet turned out to be duds, so I'm probably sentimental about it for that reason alone.

Also, my half-brother is currently crazy about this book's recipe for Fettuccine Alfredo, though I usually modify it by using half-and-half instead of cream and only a mixture of mixture of mozzarella and Parmesan (instead of just Parmesan) and adding chicken.
Debra
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's only $2.99 on a Prime Special.

It was well worth it. I have bookmarked a number of sauces, pasta dishes, veggies, risottos, and desserts.

There's grilling recipes and stews.

This might be a one stop cookbook for everything Italian. I'm especially excited about the vegetarian lasagna and the turkey meatballs.

See if it's still $2.99!
Anna
Apr 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
I simply looked through this entire book that I borrowed from a friend and it was awful. I have made a few of her recipes in the past and they just don’t work. Her food is boring and lacks flavor. And not only that, but I just cannot stand her!!!!!
James Hayes
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very great cookbook for her first

A lot of great recipes, I love the details of history she gives for certain italian words. Spoke of these are fancy but she makes them so simple so you feel like an actual food network chef! Highly recommend for italian lovers
Michael
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome Cookbook. Loved The Tons Of Recipes.
Heather Jackson
May 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
It would have been to nicer to see photos of the recipes instead of her just preparing them. I never even cooked a recipe and sold the book at at yard sale.
Annet
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I tried a couple of recipes and so far, so good. Some recipes are indeed very simple, even too simple to be called a recipe. However, they can make for great ideas for a party or in-between.
Lyea
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
There are many useful recipes here. Some, however are a stretch due to ingredient list. Still a solid book of basics.
Meghan Stapleton
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have tried most recipes and they are all fantastic. I also haven’t found a better chicken piccata dish any where! This is a must have on a shelf.
Lsilver
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I use Giadas recipes when I cook Italian. I especially appreciate her weekday cutlet recipes which are a huge hit in my house.
Jane
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
The dishes in this book are beautiful and probably delicious, but some are a bit too involved for the average home cook.
Louanne
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tonylou1942
Just love Giada. Are at her resturant in las Vegas one meal I will never forget to q
ANTONIO MEEKS
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Linda Hartlaub
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Mostly easy recipes that are doable after work or when short on time. Luscious photos for most recipes. Nice book.
Riegs

• The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
  • The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl
  • The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food from My Frontier
  • How to Be a Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking
  • Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
  • The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making
  • Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics
  • Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking
  • The Art of Simple Food: Notes, Lessons, and Recipes from a Delicious Revolution
  • Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
  • Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat
  • Momofuku
  • Barefoot Contessa Family Style: Easy Ideas and Recipes That Make Everyone Feel Like Family
  • Vegan with a Vengeance: Over 150 Delicious, Cheap, Animal-Free Recipes That Rock
  • Plenty More: Vibrant Vegetable Cooking from London's Ottolenghi
  • The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America's Most Imaginative Chefs
  • Smitten Kitchen Every Day: Triumphant and Unfussy New Favorites
Giada De Laurentiis is a Los Angeles-based celebrity chef who's published several cookbooks and hosts several shows for Food Network. Born in Rome, Italy, she grew up surrounded by homemade Italian cooking. As a child, she and her family moved to California, where she spent countless hours at her grandfather's restaurant DLL Foodshow. Upon graduating from UCLA with a degree in anthropology, Giada ...more

Related Articles

If you follow the world of food, chances are you’ve heard of David Chang. The founder of the Momofuku restaurant group, Chang is a chef, TV...
“SIMPLE BOLOGNESE When we were kids, this was our favorite sauce, hands down. I used to love it on everything—pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, and polenta—you name it, I covered it in bolognese. We went through a lot of it in my household. So my parents had to figure out a way to make it that was quicker than the traditional recipe, and here it is. It’s just as rich and mouthwatering as the more time-consuming traditional recipe; I promise you won’t know the difference. Now that I’m all grown up, I try not to use bolognese for everything, but it’s tempting because it’s perfect as a sauce for any type of pasta shape. MAKES ABOUT 1 QUART; SERVES 4 OVER A POUND OF PASTA AS A MAIN COURSE ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil 1 medium onion, minced 2 garlic cloves, minced 1 celery stalk, minced 1 carrot, peeled and minced 1 pound ground beef chuck 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley 8 fresh basil leaves, chopped ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste ¼ cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese In a Large Skillet, heat the oil over a medium flame. When almost smoking, add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is very tender, about 8 minutes. Add the celery and carrot and sauté for 5 minutes. Increase the heat to high, add the ground beef, and sauté until the meat is no longer pink, breaking up any large lumps, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, parsley, basil, and ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper, and cook over medium-low heat until the sauce thickens, about 30 minutes. Stir in the cheese, then season with more salt and pepper to taste. (The sauce can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat before using.)  ” 0 likes