Start by marking “Опаричване (Истории от Света на Диска, #36)” as Want to Read:
Опаричване (Истории от Света на Диска, #36)

Опаричване

(Discworld #36)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  51,529 ratings  ·  1,712 reviews
Hа тази oфepта нe мoжeтe да oткажeтe.
Кoй нe би искал да e упpавник на анкx-мopпopкската Кpалска мoнeтаpница и на банката дo нeя?
Toва e дoживoтна pабoта. Ho кактo бившият мoшeник Moкp фoн Meнтeбpад научава, живoтът нe e нeпpeмeннo дългoсpoчeн.
Главният касиep пoчти сигуpнo e вампиp. В пoдзeмиeтo има нeщo нeизpазимo (а самoтo пoдзeмиe e дoста нeизpазимo) и сe oказва, чe Кpалс
Published May 2011 by Вузев (first published September 20th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Опаричване, please sign up.
Kinga No, you don't. Expect from "Going Postal" because they are from the same series and have the same main character, Moist. But you don't really need to…moreNo, you don't. Expect from "Going Postal" because they are from the same series and have the same main character, Moist. But you don't really need to read any other book from Discworld.(less)
Avarla You can read the whole series in order, starting with "The Color of Magic", or you just start one of the series within. The Moist von Lipwig one…moreYou can read the whole series in order, starting with "The Color of Magic", or you just start one of the series within. The Moist von Lipwig one starts with "Going Postal".
Personally, I wouldn't recommend starting with "Color of Magic", but that is mostly because I don't particularly like Rincewind. Might be different for you, though.(less)

·  51,529 ratings  ·  1,712 reviews

Lyn
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If this book were made into a movie, I’d expect that either Adam Sandler or Frank Capra would be a fitting director (preferably Sandler since Capra has been dead for over 25 years).

Films like Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and Mr. Deeds capture the crowd pleasing best elements of Making Money, Pratchett’s 36th Discworld novel, Nebula Award nominee and Locus Award winner. Again we visit with Pratchett’s loveable rogue Moist Von Lipwig and this time around Lord Vetinari has placed him in a leadershi
Chris
Feb 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, pratchett
This is the follow-up to Going Postal, in which the former con-man Moist von Lipwig sets up the new Ankh-Morpork post office and thwarts the evil corporate wiles of the Clacks.

When my co-workers asked me what I was reading, I told them, "It's a fantasy about.... About banking."

I know, I know, it sounds like a bizarre topic for a fantasy novel, even for a Discworld novel, but gods bless Terry Pratchett, he can even make basic economic theory interesting. Why is it not that bad that a penny costs
Fuzzy Gerdes
I'm a huge fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books, but I have to say that this is not the best of the bunch. Maybe it's that the main character, Going Postal's Moist von Lipwig, is a thoroughly reformed scallywag. In Postal we all knew that he was going to realize that he had a heart of gold and do the right thing, but it was fun watching him discover it. And the plot is clever enough, but maybe just a bit too clever, with too many of its gears exposed. It's not bad -- I LLOLed* a few times -- ...more
YouKneeK
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Making Money is the second book in the Moist von Lipwig subseries of Discworld. I’m enjoying this subseries quite a bit; I’m sorry it only has three books.

In this book, Moist von Lipwig finds himself unexpectedly involved in banking. The way in which this happens is pretty amusing, and the situation provides many chuckles throughout the book. I’m still really enjoying the character, and I also love that Lord Vetinari gets some decent page time in this subseries. The story itself wasn’t super exc
Carolyn
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, fantasy

This is more or less a follow-up to Going Postal in which Moist von Lipwig is pressured into doing for the banking system what he has done for the post office. Some great new characters in Fusspot, Chairman of the Bank (and a dog), Cosmo Lavish, head of the family that owns the bank and a Vetinari want-to-be, and Mr Bent, the chief cashier with a surprising past. Moist's girl friend makes an appearance as does a long dead wizard and an economic modelling machine called the Glooper. Not quite as
Seth
Sep 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discworld, fantasy, sf-f-h
Quite fun. Fairly typical of the non-major-character stories in the series, although Moist von Lipzwig might be becoming a major character. The plot is a simplification of Going Postal: Vetinari ropes Moist into leaving his post as Postmaster and taking over as Assistant to the chairman of the Bank of Ankh-Morpork. Seeing as the chairman is a lapdog, this puts him in charge. The family that has run the bank for generations doesn't like this, the bank manager doesn't like Moist, and a mad scienti ...more
Suzanne
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, library, fantasy, humor
“He sighed. It had come to this. He was a responsible authority, and people could use terms like "core values" at him with impunity. ”

This was one of my favorites so far. SO many great quotes, and spot-on observations about our banking system.
Kaethe Douglas
1 January, 2009

I love these newer Discowurld books where Pratchett is bringing his creation into the industrial age.

***

June, 2009

Where a science fiction author might use robots to examine the idea of gender, Pratchett uses golems. For some reason, I love that. I also really enjoy how most of his stories are about how humans use stories to make sense of the world around us.

Library copy
Sam Quixote
Moist von Lipwig, tired after making the Post Office such as success in "Going Postal", is itching for a new challenge - Vetinari sees this and turns Lipwig onto the banks and currency. Thusly Moist enters into a similar story to his last one where instead of the post, he is tasked with rejuvenating the money. The usual cast of new characters who seem familiarly like some previous new characters are present as are stock favourites, Vetinari, Vimes, Carrot, and a cameo by Death.

As others have po
Wastrel
If you liked Going Postal, you'll like this. Unless you can still actually remember Going Postal, in which case you'll probably have a weird sense of deja vu.

Going Postal tried to make up for its being a basically thin and over-familiar installment of Discworld by being very well polished and very slick. Making Money rewrites Going Postal, but less well polished, and less slick, which magnifies all of the faults already present in Going Postal, adds some more, and actually makes the earlier book
Ray
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Another Discworld book. These are now so familiar and comfortable, like a well worn pair of slippers or a battered old leather armchair.

I confess that the plots are a little formulaic, and there is an element of repetition, but these books are done so well. The Discworld multiverse is coherent and consistant within its own logic, and the level of detail is superb. Pratchett's books ooze wit and repartee from every page, and to me his work bears comparison with the traditional standard bearers o
Richard
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, fantasy
7.5/10

Another enjoyable romp in the Discworld universe this time following up with Moist Von Lipwig and his escapades in Going Postal. To date Moist has to be my favourite character in the limited amount of Discworlds I have read and still retains the award for worst named character ever (no official award has been produced to my knowledge).

In the previous outing Moist took on the troubles of the Post Office, this time he takes on the issues with the banks. The usual dry and humorous observatio
Michael *Windrunner*

5. The Light Fantastic
Matt
Dec 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
There are two ways I can review this book. The first is to talk about the book. The second is to talk about me.

It's probably fairer to actually review the book first.

'Making Money' is one of the more recent books by the much esteemed and highly prolific Terry Pratchett, for whom everyone prays (even if they aren't the praying sort) that he staves off his senility long enough to crank out another 30 or 40 novels. Pratchett has a bit of something for almost everyone's taste and is one of the auth
Neo Marshkga
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Discworld book I have read. And, I know, I know, I shouldn't have started here, this is the second part of a Trilogy that assumes I know the characters background, etc etc etc. But f**k it, this is where I decided to start.
I already knew lots of stuff from this series cause I have friends who LOVE Discworld and they have been taking to me about this for ages.
So, when I got to this books, I already had some background on the world, and, let's be honest, the knowledge I needed to
Melissa McShane
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fantasy, favorites
1/6/17: I re-read this as an audiobook as a test of the library's Overdrive system with my new phone and was surprised to see, when it's read aloud, how much there is of the Patrician in this book. (Stephen Briggs is not my favoritest narrator ever; his Patrician sounds like Stephen Fry, and yeah, who doesn't love Stephen Fry, he's just not how I imagine the Patrician sounding. And Briggs' default generic voice is Sort Of Scandinavian Or Something, which is just weird.)

Anyway, what I said below
Toby
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional later Discworld. Lots of interesting plot, fun characters and humourous asides; he really takes the characters created for Going Postal and runs with them, developing them much more rapidly than he did with other recurring characters, giving the impression that Moist leapt in to his fertile imagination fully formed and raring to help The Disc evolve.
Vasia
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a saying that you can only tell the truth through fiction and it seems that Terry Pratchett is a believer of that saying. An ex-con is blackmailed into becoming the head of the Ank-Morpork's bank and is actually very good at it. Funny, mischievious and witty this book critisizes the modern world of the recession and the banking dominance.
Matt
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor, 2018-reads
The financial sector of Ankh-Morpork is dire trouble and Lord Vetinari looks to his Postmaster General to solve the problem, however he doesn’t want the opportunity but somethings are out of his hands. Making Money is Terry Pratchett’s 36th Discworld novel and the second to follow the conman-turned-civil servant Moist von Lipwig who is beginning to pine for thrills and suddenly finds himself in the midst of them.

With the Post Office running as smoothly as possible and facing plain paperwork ever
Tomislav
Jan 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 1-star
There are a lot of people who love these Discworld books, but I'm afraid I don't see the attraction. I've only read one other of them - Mort - and I thought it was pretty clever. However, this book and it's predecessor, Going Postal, are the only two of the 38 book series nominated for the Nebula award. So I would have expected them to be the best, but I just don't see it. One problem is probably that I have not read Going Postal, and a portion of the humor in this book is really just reminders ...more
Julie
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
So clever and so very amusing. I just loved it! I think everyone should have a feisty octogenarian in their life to keep them on their toes and remind them to be glad they are alive. I am referring here to one of my favorite characters, Topsy Lavish. Her dog Mr. Fusspot is also worth a mention! Here are my very favorite quotes:
“Rich as plum pudding and more complicated than a dwarf contract” on describing the new design of bank notes.
So descriptive and reminiscent of some family gatherings: "The
Lel
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has to be up there with one of my favourite Discworld novels! Not only did it take me a good few pages to stop laughing at Moist Von Lipwigs name but it has produced two of the best lines I have read in ages:

'He somersaulted happily around the floor making faces like a rubber gargoyle in a washing machine' and 'the girl could flounce better than a fat turkey on a trampoline'.

What is there not to enjoy about a man that can produce amazing sentences as these?

But, this story focus' on bankin
Sep 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Edit 10/mumble: I finished this a while ago. After reading some earlier Pratchett recently, this shone like a very shiny literary thing. Massively enjoyable. Unfortunately, since it's been a couple weeks since I finished it, I can't give a detailed review. It lived up to my expectations, though, which is always appreciated.

Edit 10/05: Got it today from the library. Mwah ha ha.

OLD: Technically I'm not reading this, but I'm first on the holding list for the library, and the librarian currently rea
Jantine
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terry-pratchett
I find the rating of this book difficult. On one hand, it is Discworld, and Discworld is just always awesomest! On the other hand, I liked it less than many other Discworld-novels. It felt a little like there had to be thought of something to keep Moist going, and the bank was as good as the rest.

Still, I loved the side-characters, it was great to meet Vetinari and Vimes again!
Chip
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another day - another excellent Discworld book.

Characters: 5*
Plot: 4.5*
Universe: 4*

“A weapon you held and didn't know how to use belonged to your enemy.”

“I wouldn't trust you with a bucket of water if my knickers were on fire!”

“You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.”

“People don't like change. But make the
Andree
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I don't think I like this one as much as Going Postal, but I do really enjoy the Moist von Lupwig books. I mean, I am generally susceptible to a clever scheme, so that helps. I did spend a fair bit of this book wishing there was slightly less golem, although the payoff was kind of worth it. (view spoiler) And I really enjoy Igor in this (the Igors are generally pretty great). Also, for some reason the detail that Moist is one of the few to ...more
Ric
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve read a lot of Discworld books over the years, and Making Money is up there with the best. Moist von Lipwig proves yet again that he is one of the most entertaining characters on the Disc, because of his ingenuity and penchant for doing things that aren’t exactly in line with the law. Adora Belle is a great character in her own right as well, and her relationship with Lipwig is fantastic. Between this and Going Postal, it’s hysterical to see Sir Terry draw upon some of the basic technologica ...more
Vaclav Kocian
Klasicky zábavná a oddechová kniha ze série Zeměplochy, tentokrát o Vlahošovi von Rosretovi, který se snaží rozpohybovat zkostnatělou Ankh-Morporskou banku. Oproti sérii s Hlídkou či Čarodějkami slabší, ale stále dobrá. Vetinari, golemové a hlídka included!
Alexandra
Auch wenn Schöne Scheine schon von der Figurenkonstellation und der Gesellschaftskritik frappante Ähnlichkeit mit "Ab die Post" aufweist, hat es mir trotzdem bei weitem nicht so gut gefallen.

Dies kann zwar daran liegen, dass ich mich in der Telekom Branche viel eher zu Hause fühle als im Bankwesen, ich glaube aber nicht, dass es daran liegt, schliesslich habe ich Betriebswirtschaft und VWL studiert und mir ist das Metier gar nicht fremd. So verstehe ich die Anspielungen auf Geldwirtschaft, Infl
Mary Catelli
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy, humor
The return of Moist von Lipwig. spoiler warning for Going Postal.

The post office is running merrily alone -- Moist has even had to testified against a forger who made stamps -- and Moist's fiancee Adora Belle Dearheart is out doing something for the Golem Trust. And someone is trying to break into the Post Office building.

Turns out it's Moist, who is bored.

Well, the Patrician has a job offer -- running the mint -- and Moist declines, most decidedly, but alas, he has come to the attention of the
La Stamberga dei ...: Making Money di Terry Pratchett 1 6 Jun 11, 2014 03:56AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Another funny one from Terry Pratchett 1 7 Mar 26, 2012 01:55PM
Funnier Baroque Cycle 1 64 Dec 29, 2008 12:34PM
  • Carpe Jugulum: The Play
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Garden Of Unearthly Delights
  • Paint Your Dragon
  • In the Company of Ogres
  • Bad Prince Charlie
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • The Colour of Magic: Graphic Novel (Discworld, #1)

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i

Discworld (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
“Insanity is catching.” 502 likes
“It was sad, like those businessmen who came to work in serious clothes but wore colorful ties in a mad, desperate attempt to show there was a free spirit in there somewhere.” 204 likes