Start by marking “The PDT Cocktail Book: The Complete Bartender's Guide from the Celebrated Speakeasy” as Want to Read:

Now you don’t have to leave your home to learn how to mix and serve the sensational cocktails created by Jim Meehan, the nationally renowned mixologist at PDT, one of New York City’s hottest bars.

Beautifully illustrated, beautifully designed, and beautifully crafted—just like its namesake—this is the ultimate bar book by NYC's most meticulous bartender.

To say that PDT is
Published November 1st 2011 by Sterling Epicure

To ask other readers questions about The PDT Cocktail Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The PDT Cocktail Book

Start your review of The PDT Cocktail Book: The Complete Bartender's Guide from the Celebrated Speakeasy
Rooks
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Look, this book is pretty great. I mean it. Lots of recipes for not only cocktails, but infusions as well, explanations on how to do things like flame peels (if you were unfamiliar) - it's quite good. And truly, I appreciate the level of specificity used by Meehan in regards to liquor brands and what not, because ingredients very much matter.

However.

If I ever wanted to intimidate a friend OUT OF making their own drinks at home, which I would never, but ever, want to do, I would give them this bo
Preston Stell
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great recipes and great sections of reading. I opened this book to mix some drinks and learned a ton about what I’m drinking. This was a very helpful guide and I will refer to it regularly whenever we host folks!
Pamela Dolezal
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My Go-to cocktail book. I would recommend it to ANYONE interested in making a cocktail.

I am in the bar/restaurant business and have always read anything by Jim Meehan.

I have made at least half of the cocktails in this book with great success. I can’t find a single fault with this book.

It includes tools, clear instructions, history, credit to creators, bitters, syrups, infusions, bar food, and more.

This is the book that I wish I could have written.
Elizabeth
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing

So excited to expand our bar and try out a ton of new recipes!
Robert
I've seen references to PDT and Jim Meehan online, so when I saw this in the stacks of the public library, I picked it up sight-unseen. Meehan describnes PDT as something wonderful. I know I would enjoy going there. Shoot, any place you need to enter another establishment, enter a phone booth, and call to be granted entrance is my kind of place. I'm certain they serve wonderful cocktails.

This book is mostly a recipe book. Because of that, it has an uphill battle with me. My feeling is that recip
Josh Fogelson
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-book, nonfiction
Section 1: basics such as bar design, glassware, tools, techniques, etc, p.12-39
Section 2: The recipes, drinks and hotdogs, p.40-293
Section 3: description about alcohols and other ingredients they use, and some other miscellaneous topics p.294-337

The recipes are listed alphabetically, and are a nice mix of classics along with house cocktails from around 2008 and 2009. All the recipes include the date and source. Not so complicated that most could be replicated at home if desired.
Walter Tay
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this! A lot of super interesting ideas for cocktails (and their histories) fit into one book! A lot classics done right in my opinion (e.g. Mojito, Negroni, Moscow Mule), and some very interesting ones I've never heard before that I could really see myself making (e.g. Shiso Malt Sour, Mint Apple Crisp, Perfect Pear).
Nellaacceber
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All the good bars have this book at hand.

Lots of great recipes, and a useful bibliography. The section on what to stock, and how to set up a bar go a long ways to explain why some places are always a disaster and others, no matter how busy, are orderly and calm. Fun look inside how it is done.
False
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-drink
A modern cocktail book, based from a New York bar, with rather harsh woodcut looking illustrations. I've saved the resource guide and the bibliography for future research. I found the drawings off putting. They jump at you and startle.
Ondřej
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fascinující pohled do zákulisí svébytného koktejlového baru. Přestože velkou část tvoří přehledně uspořádané recepty, mnohem poutavější je vysvětlení logiky za sestavováním menu, vytvářením nových sezonních drinků nebo jídelní recepty.
Boomer
Jun 14, 2018 marked it as recipe
Phenomonal recep
Katie Wornson
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All of the classics plus the history. Beautifully designed and easy to navigate.
citybeagle
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
The greatest book I never read! On a certain level I find it hard to fault. This is a handsome book you would be proud to have on your shelf, beautifully designed and illustrated, a fine example of the art of bookmaking that easily matches the art of the cocktails you'll find inside. And if you are a fan of New York's PDT, it has interesting information about the origins of the bar and, of course, many of the recipes for their legendary cocktails and the hot dogs. Whether you're an experienced b ...more
Rebeca
Mar 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Beautiful and impressive book, but one that will live on my bookshelf instead of my bar. The recipes are for serious cocktail geeks, but the instructions are for cocktail noobs. And I don't understand the chapter on how PDT is set up. It's more of a guide for creating your own PDT than for learning cocktails, and intermediate cocktail enthusiasts like me will be bored on learning how to make simple syrup and use a hawthorne strainer but overwhelmed by some of the other instructions and recipes. ...more
Niki Ganong
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you know someone who like cocktails, buy them this book. They will love you forever. Not only is it a beautiful book, but the recipes and lore are great. It's one of the best cocktail books I've ever read and will be a permanent reference on my bar.
Max
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You'll probably not ever make a fraction of the recipes in this book, but the reviews that mark it as the bartender's manual of our craft cocktail era are not wrong. And it has a freaking annotated bibliography at the end. A must-own for 21st-century boozehounds.
Christopher
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
what's not to love?
James
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
The best modern cocktail book out there. Taken alongside David Wondrich's Imbibe, you have nearly everything you need to begin taking cocktails seriously.
Erika
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Some cool cocktail ideas, a good addition to my food/drink recipe library
Max Holzapfel
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: drinks
The book does contain some nice recipes and the art work is great. But I would have loved some more details to the drinks.
Glenda
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
The illustrations and commentaries are awesome!
Kristen Kolb
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My new go-to guide as a fledgling mixologist.
Andrea
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Would love to visit in person some day.
Eric
Sep 26, 2014
JOSEF-KONRAD
Jun 05, 2014
Begs for a Database 1 3 Aug 13, 2014 02:33PM

• Imbibe!: From Absinthe Cocktail to Whiskey Smash, a Salute in Stories and Drinks to "Professor" Jerry Thomas, Pioneer of the American Bar
  • Liquid Intelligence: The Art and Science of the Perfect Cocktail
  • The Bar Book: Elements of Cocktail Technique
  • Death & Co: Modern Classic Cocktails, with More than 500 Recipes
  • Cocktail Codex: Fundamentals, Formulas, Evolutions
  • The Drunken Botanist: The Plants That Create the World's Great Drinks
  • Bitters: A Spirited History of a Classic Cure-All, with Cocktails, Recipes, and Formulas
  • The Craft of the Cocktail: Everything You Need to Know to Be a Master Bartender, with 500 Recipes
  • Smuggler's Cove: Exotic Cocktails, Rum, and the Cult of Tiki
  • The Joy of Mixology: The Consummate Guide to the Bartender's Craft
  • Regarding Cocktails
  • The Dead Rabbit Drinks Manual: Secret Recipes and Barroom Tales from Two Belfast Boys Who Conquered the Cocktail World
  • Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails: From the Alamagoozlum Cocktail to the Zombie {80 Rediscovered Recipes and the Stories behind Them}
  • Boozehound: On the Trail of the Rare, the Obscure, and the Overrated in Spirits
  • What to Drink with What You Eat: The Definitive Guide to Pairing Food with Wine, Beer, Spirits, Coffee, Tea - Even Water - Based on Expert Advice from America's Best Sommeliers
  • Speakeasy: The Employees Only Guide to Classic Cocktails Reimagined
  • The Savoy Cocktail Book
  • The 12-Bottle Bar: A Dozen Bottles. Hundreds of Cocktails. the Only Guide You Need for an Amazing Home Bar
Jim Meehan is the co-founder of the celebrated speakeasy PDT in New York's East Village. He began bartending at the University of Wisconsin at Madison and worked at New York City mainstays such as Gramercy Tavern before founding his own cocktail bar inside of a popular hotdog stand. Mr Meehan is a frequent contributor to cocktail magazines; The PDT Cocktail Book is his first book. Mr Meehan now li ...more