Start by marking “Shift” as Want to Read:
Shift

Shift

Olive Corbett is not crazy. Not anymore.

She obediently takes her meds and stays under the radar at school. After “the incident,” Olive just wants to avoid any more trouble, so she knows the smartest thing is to stay clear of the new girl who is rumored to have quite the creepy past.

But there’s no avoiding Miranda Vaile. As mousy Miranda edges her way into the popular group
Published September 1st 2011 by Hardie Grant Egmont

To ask other readers questions about Shift, please sign up.
Della It's more creepy than scary. No, it doesn't have profanity (at least that I can remember). If this book was horror (although it isn't really) it would…moreIt's more creepy than scary. No, it doesn't have profanity (at least that I can remember). If this book was horror (although it isn't really) it would be a psychological thriller rather than a slasher. It's a good book. I liked it. (less)
Viktoria In order not to spoil it I'm gonna give your question just simple reply yes.

Yin Chien 인첸
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book practically threw me off balance. The story itself is amazing with a lot of twists and turns. If you've read my IMM 25, you would probably know that this book is soaked wet, and I spent hours drying it. And that was when I couldn't help but took a peek... and instantly, I was hooked.

Our main character Olive is a beautiful, witty, sarcastic but problematic teenage girl. Ever since her father left, she has not been the same as her old self. She is convinced that she is the reason of
Beth

Easily my biggest disappointment of 2012 so far.

I was so excited for "Shift." So excited. I love psychological thrillers and horror novels, and "Shift" sounded like it had a nice combination of both. Besides, look at that amazing cover! It's beautiful and so evocative and creepy.

I read it quickly. I'll give Bailey that. But, in all fairness, I was on a five-hour flight home from Turkey.

The only thing that saved it from a one-star rating was a twist at the halfway point that I totally d
Clair
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, fiction
Shift by Em Bailey was an extraordinarily gripping read. I loved every moment of it and I will definitely be keeping my eye out for future works by her.

The story follows the life of Olive, a girl who, following a recent breakdown and suicide attempt, has been put on a course of medication and therapy. She integrates herself back into a routine by attending school and working at the local cinema.

However, she no longer has any friends. Except for Ami. Olive's old best friend, Katie, has now ditche
Isamlq
Jul 17, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.5/5

Subtlety is not this book's strong suit... so, this wasn't that much of a psychological thriller. Obviously there’s a history here with everyone aware but having the same go unspoken. Yet, with the big ginormous hints littering the path toward the reveal, there really was no thrill for me in this one. At points, I even felt a little insulted by how it seemed someone had taken my hand and positioned my just so, as if saying, ‘see this? this is the way things went down; and that? that is why
Taneika
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aussie-ya, cover-love
(This is more of a 4.5 star kind of book)

Every time I've seen Shift in the store, I've always picked it up and put it back down and it wasn't until my housemate and I discovered a mutual love for YA that I actually read it because she lent it to me.
You need to read this. It was edgy, gripping, original, funny, emotional, frustrating and it had everything that makes a great novel.

It's a story about a girl named Olive, who is now a little messed up in the head and on medication after a failed su
Jennifer Tran
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Oh... My... God. There are almost no words to describe my state of mind after reading 'Shift'. Em Bailey should be applauded, and I am definitely grateful for her impeccable writing skills that never once failed to leave me questioning my own sanity.

This genre wasn't one I'd usually take to, but this book just begging me to read it, and so I did. I was pleasantly surprised.

All the characters were written so well- Miranda always left me wondering. Was she just a psychotic girl, suffering from he
Rowing
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was one CREEPY book! Half way through the book I was in this state:
Photobucket

Despite it's obvious creepiness I couldn't put it down.

So Olive was this typical once-popular-now-loner kid with issues, but what those issues were was not so clear in the beginning. At times I was totally frustrated with her and I was screaming at the book what are you doing??? and yes I was totally scared of the people in the book!
Photobucket

I just had chills all over! and by the time I finished I was doubting my own reality
I'll b
Brandi
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-own-this
4.5 Stars

I absolutely loved this! I just grabbed this at the library because it was available, and I was sick of waiting on titles, and now I'm so glad I did! I went into it not really knowing what to expect because none of the people I follow have read this (and I hope that changes after this review because it's a great book!), and usually I prefer to go into things knowing a bit more about what to expect, but it was fun to be taken by surprise for once.

The story is about Olive who has some qui
Tony Sullivan
Oct 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Miranda Vaile is the strong point of this young adult novel. It is well worth reading for her alone. Miranda is offered to us, on the one hand, as a supernatural demon and on the other as a rolled-gold bitch who is disturbed and rageful, but also charming to the nth degree. For good measure, she can also be seen as the symbol of a destructive inner voice, enticing one unlucky girl into anorexia. Whatever she is exactly, Miranda has the psychopaths’s ability to pinpoint and play to our longings, ...more
Kita
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Okay, so I decided I'd give this book to someone else before I reviewed it. Just because, well, I wasn't sure whether I wasn't getting it because I am stupid, or whether I wasn't getting it because I wasn't SUPPOSED to get it. Turns out, either we're both stupid, or it's just one of those books.

You know the ones I'm talking about... the ones with the fantastic writing, brilliant prose, life-like characters... those books that leave you SO... UTTERLY... CONFUSED!

So basically, the story settles it
Siobhan
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Flicking through books on offer, I stumbled upon two Em Bailey novels. Intrigued by both, I decided to give one of the books a read. Without looking at the books on Goodreads, without any idea of the reviews and ratings, I decided Shift sounded like the more interesting option – and if I enjoyed it, I decided I would be back for the other Em Bailey novel.

Despite how interesting Shift sounded, I found myself rather disappointed by this one. It is a book where I was stuck between a two-star rating
Rachael
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are spoilers. This is an intelligent discussion of the text. Deal with it.
Wow.
This book was intense and very taught, although it became a little too neat towards the center when Olive stops suspecting Miranda of being "evil" and just becomes buddy-buddy. But then again, with Olive suspecting that Miranda is something insidious, isn't that how this story should go? Letting your guard down and letting the insidious in because you no longer suspect it?
The story is that of Olive Corbett, a gir
Tamsin
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
5 stars out of five. For a reason:

Shift by Em Bailey is one of my all-time favourite books. It's full of gripping twists that will never leave you bored.

The first half of the book will make you love Olive. The second half will have you mentally screaming at every decision she makes! (But I won't give away anything)
Lachlan is such a sweetie and so is Luxe (the romance sides to the book) yet this book is far from your usual romance story. Yep. There's even death.
Murder.
Psychologically mental peopl
Eloise Morthen
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
2.5 out of 5 stars.

Shift was a really easy and enjoyable read, I loved the idea of the book and a few of the characters were great (Ami, Lachlan and Toby especially). However, the main character Olive was an IDIOT! At first I liked her, but she makes the wrong decision in regards to Miranda and Lachlan EVERY. SINGLE. TIME!!!!!

I found the whole toxic friendship thing quite realistic and relatable (in regards to Katie, not necessarily Miranda). One big drawback for me was I guessed the big twist
Amelia Hill
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was incredibly thrilling and kept you wanting to read more, however some parts of the book was a little bit unrealistic and made it hard to picture.
Kai
Jul 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Review posted at Amaterasu Reads

Em Bailey's chilling psychological YA thriller debut is sure to make readers think twice about letting people get close too much. The bonds of friendship is stretched tight up to the breaking point in this shuddery tale of one girl's identity and her struggle to find out who she really is deep inside.

Olivia Corbett's life is a wreck. She used to be best friends with Katie, the most popular girl in school. She used to be pretty, outgoing, with a happy family, but
Feb 28, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disappointing
From reading everyone else's reviews about this book it seems people either love it or hate it. Me? Yeah, I didn't like it very much. I picked it up just randomly from the book store because it was half price (i'm actually glad I didn't pay full price for it really) and also because it sounded like it would be really good, and the cover is pretty awesome too. But it was officially just the weirdest book I'd ever read, it was so strange.
Also I was pretty disappointed to find out that the back of
Liz Barnsley
Hmm. TOTALLY not what I was expecting. Although now to be fair I'm not sure WHAT I was expecting. The reason for the 3* rating is that to me it feels like a fair one. Some parts of this book for me were facepalm 1* and some parts of this for me were sheer brilliance 5*

Nothing like sitting on the fence...

Anyway on the plus side I read this cover to cover in one sitting, it is an addictive tale and one that has many surprises. The main story revolves around Olive, who is recovering from a breakdo
Ria [The Beaucoup Review]
I felt so let down by this book. I had been SUPER excited to read it, and I had heard such good things. But there were too many things lacking for me.

The story line. Original. Amazing. I should have loved it. But other than the base story-line, of Miranda 'becoming' other people, none of the smaller story lines fit. I felt as though the romance between Lachlan and Olive was completely forgotten about, and then all that was talked about. Which was a shame because I really liked Lachlan and wou
the_queen_of_books24
Right. I'm going to bullet point my thoughts because CBA to articulate them properly. I'm just too angry.
I had really high hopes for this book. I really thought I would like it. That said, I did like Lachlan. I just wish I could have gotten more of the romance I was promised (granted, I DNF'd this book so I can't speak for it, but I did skim read to the scene where they kiss and it was good. That's one of the best scenes in the whole book.)
Ok, so here's what i didn't like:
Underdeveloped charact
Hannah
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Woah. That is all I can say. This book is absolutely phenomenal in every aspect. While I was on holidays I went to a book shop looking for something to entertain me on my upcoming 6 hour drive. This book was reccomended to me by a woman there. Now I usually don't go for the supernatural stuff but I gave it a go. This book was an exception. Absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!!
You feel so drawn to the characters and as soon as you have read the first two pages you will be filled with anticipation and your ey
Rebecca Jane
This book freaked me out at first to be honest, but I really liked it. It was interesting and I just didn't know what to expect. Even now that I've finished it I have no idea what Miranda actually was or what to expect...
Ari
Jun 05, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
To read soon...
[image error]
Natalie Stolz
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
It really makes you think. I really enjoyed the thrill of it all. I know this sounds cheesy but I actually found it hard to put it down. One of my fav thrillers
Dani C
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books
Full review and Guest post from Em Bailey at Pen to Paper.

Shift was, at least for me, a fairly confusing novel in a couple of ways. However, both of these ways are positive, if that makes any sense.
The first confusing thing about the book is the genre. It masquerades itself as a kind of YA contemporary fiction, but it definitely has a strong fantastical feel to it. I say 'fantastical' and not 'fantasy' because we can't be sure whether what we're looking at it reality or not - hardly anything is
ALPHAreader
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Miranda Vaile was infamous long before she set foot in the small suburb of Jubilee Park. Stories about Miranda were swirling in the weeks prior to her arrival – stories about her life in Europe, the crazy aunt she was coming to live with . . . and the fact that she had killed her parents.

The attention and attraction of Miranda is a reprise for Jubilee Park’s resident psychotic – Olive Corbett. Olive, whose family life has disintegrated in the wake of her ‘mistakes’ and recovery from circumstance
Karen Barber
Olive used to be popular. Now she isn't, but we're not told exactly why. However, her ex-best friend Katie is a crucial part of her story.
When new girl Miranda moves to the school people are convinced she murdered her parents. Slowly, she ingratiated herself into the school environment and soon becomes friends with those people that Olive is so suspicious of.
Through a number of events/devices we get to know just what Miranda is capable of. The question is whether Olive will trust herself in time
Tillie E
It was a really good book and I loved how it got in my head and I couldn't think of anything else for days. Sometimes nothing is true or false just in the grey.
Phoebe
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This was a very unique book. Mystery, suspense, romance, comedy. It's pretty much got it all. Highly recommend this book. I loved it and I'm sure you'll love it too.
Sandra (Page by Page)
So, I was absolutely amazed by this creepy novel, and NONE of my Goodreads friends have read this?!

It's not even newly published novel (2011!)
Review's on the way.

---Updated (20/11/2014)---

What I really like about this book:

It’s not a series. ‘Nuf said.

The writing style. It flows nicely, the pace is just great, all is revealed in the right time. But, most of all, it’s a unique, distinguishable, smart writing style. I certainly will keep my eyes open for Em Bailey’s next novels.

And I laughed good
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Y/A Fiction Book Based On A ED. [s] 10 25 Mar 09, 2019 11:42PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Shift By Em Bailey - Starting September 24th 20 15 Sep 26, 2013 05:11AM
Who the hack is Miranda? 20 52 Jan 12, 2013 01:51AM
  • Whisper
  • Chasers (Alone, #1)
  • Pig Boy
  • The Reluctant Hallelujah
Em Bailey is an Australian living in Germany where, despite having been a vegetarian for many years, she now enjoys the occasional Wurst. Em used to be a new-media designer for a children’s television production house and is now a full-time author. Shift is her first YA novel, although she has written a number of books for children under the name Meredith Badger.

When she’s not writing, Em is gene
“I am weird, and you know what? That's OK. So are most interesting people.” 85 likes
“I believe in grey...Some things aren't straightforward. Not everything is true or false, real or imaginary, black or white. It's not that simple.” 23 likes