Start by marking “False Memory (False Memory, #1)” as Want to Read:
False Memory (False Memory, #1)

False Memory (False Memory #1)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  5,663 Ratings  ·  681 Reviews
Miranda wakes up alone on a park bench with no memory. In her panic, she releases a mysterious energy that incites pure terror in everyone around her. Except Peter, a boy who isn’t at all surprised by Miranda’s shocking ability.

Left with no choice but to trust this stranger, Miranda discovers she was trained to be a weapon and is part of an elite force of genetically-alter
Published August 14th 2012 by Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about False Memory, please sign up.

Vanalottiel Olanthir I'm halfway through, and so far there hasn't been much sexual content (and I doubt any that would exceed a PG-13 movie). Same for the language. They…moreI'm halfway through, and so far there hasn't been much sexual content (and I doubt any that would exceed a PG-13 movie). Same for the language. They used the s-word a couple times. Dark themes? Maybe.(less)

Wendy Darling
Check out our Q & A with Dan Krokos, who chats with us about his new book and some of the controversies that have rocked the YA community this year. Some interesting thoughts on GoodReads' author program, too.

Of the many young adult science fiction novels that have been released recently, False Memory stands out as an extremely fun, solidly entertaining debut. This action-packed, suspenseful story follows Miranda North, a teenage girl who wakes up without any memory of who she is. Before lon
Veronica Roth
Jan 13, 2011 Veronica Roth marked it as to-read
HECK. YES.
Sarah Maas
Sep 14, 2012 Sarah Maas rated it it was amazing
Gripping, fast-paced, kick-ass, and romantic. Totally one of my favorite reads of 2012 (I'm seriously still reeling from all the clever twists and turns)! This is one book you REALLY don't want to miss! I'm already counting down the days until Book Two!!
Kiki
Took me a small eternity to get through, but I'm finally done. Yeesh.
Giselle
Sep 10, 2012 Giselle rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, own
From the very first page this book grips you with the unknown. At first it's who is Miranda? Without her memory, she has no idea who, or what, she is. Then we move on to who is this unconventional family of hers, then who is this creator who wants to use them, and all throughout--what are we going to find out next?

As far as unreliable narrators go, Miranda is pretty darn great. She doesn't even know who she is! I, myself, have always loved unreliable narrators. They keep you on the lookout, alwa
BlueLilyxLilyBlue

REACTION AFTER READING THE BOOK:

If I was in the library I probably would have looked somewhat like this after reading the book:

[image error]

Yeah you got it right!
I AM SO CRAZY OVER THIS BOOK I DON’T KNOW HOW TO PUT IT IN WORDS! Maybe Scarlett Johansson could show you my reactions as I was reading this.
funny gifs

It was a roller coaster ride and I am absolutely enthralled, excited, breathless and just amazed about how fluid everything when although out the book.
I’m sure you guys want to know what this bo
Sorra
Dec 16, 2012 Sorra rated it did not like it
Okay. So we start off with some girl named Miranda waking up on a bench in a mall, not remembering anything.(Um, overused much?) So, she approaches a mall officer, ends up beating him up, sends fear waves throughout the mall, ends up killing some innocent citizens, and meets a random, seductive boy named Peter who smells like roses and tries to explain the whole phenomenon to her. Now, coming from this exposition, I seriously thought this book was going to be good. I really did.
It wasn't. It re
Gwenyth Love
Jan 03, 2012 Gwenyth Love rated it really liked it
After having the chance to speak with Dan at BEA this year I have made the decision to add his book to my To-Read list and give the actual book a chance. He was very upfront and apologetic about what happened and seems to be sincere. Let's hope he learned from his mistake (hey we all make them) and see how it goes from there.

Update:
Oh...the intrigue...it's killing me!!! Must...have...book...two...now...!!!

Detailed review coming soon.
jesse
Jan 16, 2012 jesse marked it as dropped
Shelves: code

shitlisted
l a i n e y
This book since very early on was a serious page-turner: action-packed and lots of mystery, great chemistry and tension between three of the leads. Extremely promising.

I was like :

One teeny-tiny problem though.
Most of that didn't make it to the end.

And I was like :

Izzat Zainal
Sep 10, 2012 Izzat Zainal rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

BEFORE YOU EVEN TRYING TO READ THIS BOOK, MAKE SURE YOUR BRAIN/MIND/MENTAL IS 100% PREPARED, BECAUSE THIS IS GOING TO BE A BRAIN-DAMAGING AWESOME RIDE!

So before I proceed, here's the thing: I don't fucking care about all those shits about attack-of-the-authors thing that happened earlier, okay! . Some of you bitches just cannot put it over and fucking move on with your damn life. The author apologized, okay. Deal with it. Nobody's perfect. Stop ranting your stupid ass about how much
Kat Kennedy
This review may contain spoilers. And by may, I mean most certainly will.

False Memory by fellow Horde player, Dan Krokos, caught my attention. Mainly because, well, FOR THE HORDE! But also, because it looked badass. The basic idea is that Miranda wakes up with no memories and no real clue who she is. She soon discovers that she’s a superhero and part of a team of four Roses with the ability to cause fear and panic to normal people.

I mean, it’s an alright ability. Not as good as the ability to bu
Sasha
The Adoration of Jenna Fox meets Ender's Game

Looking for a book that is action packed and keeps you on the edge of your seat? Well, here it is. Dan Krokos' debut young adult novel delivers the adventure it promises.

One thing I always find interesting is when male authors write first person POVs with female characters – I mean, how do they get into that mindset? Just like Karsten Knight’s Ashline Wilde, Krokos’s 16 year old Miranda North has a believable voice and I thoroughly enjoyed her. She’s
Amanda
Mar 15, 2011 Amanda marked it as to-read
LOOKS AWESOME! >> "Dan Krokos's debut FALSE MEMORY, featuring a girl with no memory who discovers she's a genetically altered weapon of mass destruction and must uncover the truth of her identity in order to save her city, to Catherine Onder at Disney-Hyperion, in a significant deal, at auction, in a three-book deal, by Suzie Townsend at FinePrint Literary Management on behalf of Janet Reid at FinePrint Literary Management (World English)."
Jen
Feb 08, 2012 Jen rated it it was amazing
ROSES are red
a warning to you
False Memory; a sci-fi adrenaline rush
and Dan Krokos, I *hearts* YOU!
(in a purely, "you wrote an awesome book" kind of way)

False Memory is a Sci-Fi adrenaline rush that I could NOT put down!

When seventeen year old Miranda North wakes up on a park bench with no memory other than her name and age, she does what any normal amnesiac would do, she seeks help. Feeling threatened instead of helped, she panics, unleashing a mysterious energy which incites terror into everyon
Ceitidh
Dec 13, 2011 Ceitidh rated it really liked it
Read more of my reviews at Dazzling Reads

4.5 stars!

An Addictive Thriller Filled with Action, Romance, Mystery and Raw Violence!

I was so excited to receive False Memory for review that when it finally arrived at my doorstep, I stop everything I was previously reading just to devour this one. Was I too excited? were my expectations too high? Oh my God NO! I was right, the thrilling summary and the beautiful eye-catching cover promised a high caliber novel that does not deceive the reader. It actu
Erica
Nov 20, 2011 Erica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
False Memory, how do I even begin to explain this one? It was fast paced, action packed, and was host to an awesome cast of characters. To get to the point, False Memory was one of the best books I have ever read.

Science fiction is a very downplayed genre in YA I feel like, but it is one of my favorite genres. So when I learned False Memory was sci-fi-, I was already excited. Only to get MORE excited over the wicked sounding premise. False Memory was one of the coolest, twistiest, mindblowing sc
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
Miranda wakes up with no memory despite her age and name. In a mall, she realizes she has a power to create psychic fear using only her mind, and in doing so meets a fellow Rose named Peter who brings her back to her home. On the run from the Beta team and a dangerous rogue named Rhys, the four teens, Miranda, Noah, Olive and Peter have to escape from their creators before they can be used as a weapon to destroy people’s lives.

The Roses are aptly named because the scent they give off when invoki
So good!! This was my first ever Sci-Fi read, and it was really good!! The whole premise and the world building of this book was entertaining. The whole book was just so cool!! Losing your memory and not remembering who you are, is something i've never read about.

The characters were entertaining, the main character is badass. I just don't know what else to say.. So much goes on in each chapter I didn't want to put the book down. There was something intense always happening and I wanted to know
Skip
Dec 17, 2016 Skip rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
While this book may appeal to many YA readers, I was pretty disappointed. It started fast, and accelerated, but the dizzying action was not enough to hide too many twists and turns and what, at its heart (pun intended) is a teen romance novel. The basic plot is that a scientist has created two pairs of teenagers with the psychic ability to induce fear on a mass scale and who are trained as super soldiers. The big question in the book is why and for whom? However, with the possible exception of M ...more
Susan
Sep 13, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
Wow. WOW. I have to say this book had me hooked from page 1. I had pretty high expectations going in, and the story did not disappoint--in fact, it exceeded them. FALSE MEMORY has great pacing, great mystery (holy CROW, the twists are so twisty!), and delicious (I mean DELICIOUS) romance. I literally read this book in one sitting, and I haven't done that with a book since (no joke) THE HUNGER GAMES. If you enjoy major suspense, kick-butt heroines, and swoon-worthy heroes, then definitely pick up ...more
Errin
Jan 14, 2016 Errin rated it liked it
3.5 stars! This immediately starts off with a bang, slows down a bit to set up the rest of the plot but the second half is just nonstop shocking twists and turns!

Miranda wakes up in a mall with no memories and discovers she has a dangerous ability. The only person who seems to have answers is a strange boy named Peter who leads her to a facility with others like her.

Reading this was like watching an action packed sci-fi movie. Overall, character development for some like Peter and Noah could u
Kassidy
Jul 03, 2013 Kassidy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I really really loved this book!! It was soo action packed and the plot was so mind bending. It was slightly confusing at times, but overall I think I understand, hopefully the second book will clear up some things. I really liked the love story and just could not stop reading! The characters had unique personalities and I really connected to them. If you like Sci-Fi books, I definitely recommend this one!
Charissa Sophia de la Rosa
Nov 29, 2012 Charissa Sophia de la Rosa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Divergent fans, sci-fi readers
Recommended to Charissa Sophia by: BlueLilyxLilyBlue
A mix of romance, sci-fi, adventure, action, mystery, suspense and thriller, this book will surely make sure that you'll have a hard time bringing it down and pausing to read it.

That was what happened to me.

Discovering it for one of my friends recommended it to me and reading the plot summary, my first impression was that it'll be a really good book. And it was.

Plot Summary:

Miranda North just woke up with no memories other than her name. She went inside a mall in Cleveland and was trying t
Keertana
Aug 17, 2012 Keertana rated it really liked it
This past year has seen a re-emergence, not only in the fantasy genre, but also in the science-fiction genre concerning YA. While I'd need about a dozen hands to count all the new fantasy and sci-fi books published this year, I only need one to count all the good ones. False Memory, I am glad to say, joins the ranks of good fiction and just may be the only sci-fi novel I ever fall in love with this year. This is the book I wanted Origin and Eve and Adam to be - an fast-paced novel fi ...more
Ferdy
Aug 27, 2012 Ferdy rated it it was ok
◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj
Aug 14, 2012 ◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj rated it liked it
This book was...ok. But I didn't really get much out of it.

It had everything I love in a YA novel: action, adventure, romance, mystery, etc. So I should like this book. And I did. But...certain things kept me from loving it.

The main problem I had was the characters. They did not feel real to me at all. Whenever I read a book, I always see the characters as real people, if they are developed enough and properly. But that did not happen in this book. I could not connect with any of them at all, no
✞кεℓℓү cσsтιgαη✞
"Miranda wakes up alone on a park bench with no memory...Miranda discovers she was trained to be a weapon and is part of an elite force of genetically-altered teens who possess flawless combat skills..."

Where, oh where, have I seen this before?

description

And a park bench too? Really? Really!?

But she' not Jason Bourne. No, no. She is genetically altered, you see.
Very original...

description

I rest my case.
Blythe
Jan 06, 2012 Blythe marked it as to-read
I'm happy the author was mature enough to apologize (and apparently profusely), because this book sounds really good.
Kelly (Belle of the Literati)
Dec 05, 2012 Kelly (Belle of the Literati) rated it really liked it
""'You lost your memory
but you had time to go bra shopping?'""
--Dan Krokos, False Memory

So in order to pay my crack-like addiction known as buying books and reading I work full-time as a Registered Nurse (totally kidding, I love my job...even on the days where I get blood in my hair and face...that actually happened this week FYI...Day in the life of a nurse fun fact :)). K, anyways, so because I work as a nurse I have this crazy work schedule where I work 7 days in a row and then have 7 days o
  • Cybernetic
  • Shadows Cast By Stars
  • Earth Girl (Earth Girl, #1)
  • Skylark (Skylark, #1)
  • The Lost Girl
  • Renegade (The Elysium Chronicles, #1)
  • League of Strays
  • Chosen Ones (The Lost Souls, #1)
  • Auracle
  • Erasing Time (Erasing Time, #1)
  • Level 2 (The Memory Chronicles, #1)
  • The Forsaken (The Forsaken, #1)
  • Through to You
  • Beta (Annex, #1)
  • Glitch (Glitch, #1)
  • Silver (Bandia, #1)
  • So Close to You (So Close to You, #1)
  • Arclight (Arclight, #1)

False Memory (3 books)
  • False Sight (False Memory, #2)
  • False Future (False Memory, #3)

“You didn't break my nose,” he says.“Too bad.”“No, that’s good,” he says. “Because I would've broken yours.”“You’d hit a girl?”“We fight all the time.” 20 likes
“I don't know who I am, but I might be a badass.” 19 likes