Start by marking “A World Without Heroes (Beyonders, #1)” as Want to Read:
A World Without Heroes (Beyonders, #1)

A World Without Heroes (Beyonders #1)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  27,332 Ratings  ·  2,448 Reviews
Jason Walker has often wished his life could be a bit less predictable--until a routine day at the zoo ends with Jason suddenly transporting from the hippo tank to a place unlike anything he's ever seen. In the past, the people of Lyrian welcomed visitors from the Beyond, but attitudes have changed since the wizard emperor Maldor rose to power. The brave resistors who oppo ...more
Published March 15th 2011 by Aladdin (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A World Without Heroes, please sign up.

Charlotte Walker This is an amazing book. it got me bored the first time I read it, so make sure you are at least a teen before you read it. It is Fabulous!!
Isabelle Brletich Yes. Absolutely no cuss words as far as I read so far. And I've read most of the book

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
A World Without Heroes is a 'grew on me' book. Initially, I was not sure I liked the tone at all. At first, I thought it would read more like a Disney film than a weighty young adult fantasy novel with potential. As I listened, my feelings started to change. The idea is not new, but the in- between steps of the journey proved interesting. While I am not extensively well read, not in the least, in epic fantasy, I appreciate the quest as a foundation for a story. Fairy tales (which I am very well- ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
A World Without Heroes (Beyonders #1), brandon mull
عنوان: سه گانه ماورایی ها - کتاب 1 - دنیای خالی از قهرمان؛ نویسنده: براندون مول؛ مترجم: سمانه امین پور؛ تهران، آذرباد، 1393، در 544 ص؛ شابک: 9786006225517؛ موضوع: داستانهای خیالی از براندون مول قرن 21 م
ترجمه ای دیگر با همان عنوان و مترجم: فرناز حائری؛ تهران، نشر بهنام، 1393، در 512 ص؛ شابک: 9786007132036؛
ماجرای پسری دانشجو به نام «جیسون واکر» است که در اوقات فراغتش در یک باغ وحش کار میکند. در باغ وحش یک اسب آبی وجود دارد که نمایش اجرا میکند. جیس
Kathryn

There are so many disappointing YA books lately, since the genre has grown rapidly within a very short period of time, it almost seems like authors are writing books with only a stroke of a pencil. Not thinking hard enough. The plots are forgettable, unintelligent and always comes with an uncomfortable threesome.

Which is why I have turned my back to them for now and concentrating on "novel" and "Middle Grade lit".

This book had one of the most imaginative and amazing first chapter I have read i
Mike (the Paladin)
Let me say...I liked Harry Potter. Garth Nix, most of his books I enjoy greatly. I have read a lot of YA books that I really enjoyed.

This isn't one of them.

While I can't say I hate this book or anything like that, I don't even intensely dislike it, mostly, I was just glad to get through it. I'd call this more of a juvenile book than a YA or even a Youth book. The characters in the book, the relationships in the book all are just very young.

I mean let's face it. Our Hero gets to the magical land
Matt
Mar 30, 2011 Matt rated it liked it
I'm normally a big fan of Mull's work. Especially the awesome Fablehaven series. He manages to ground the fantasy in realistic, honest characters...which is just the thing that's missing from the first book in the Beyonders series.

The story behind the Beyonders is interesting, but he plops a couple of characters into the action with essentially no exposition. We don't know the characters, we don't care about them, and we're not invested in their success or failure.

Beyond that, the story feels l
Heather
Jan 22, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
I LOVED Fablehaven, so was excited to see a new Brandon Mull book.

But I was disappointed that this was no Fablehaven. The book redeems itself in the end, and I am genuinely looking forward to a sequel, but my goodness the first third of this book is as bad as I've ever read. Besides a choppy pace and a character we know almost nothing about (and therefore care nothing about), the editor let sentences like, "He extended his hand probingly" and "The sand stopped his submergence." get by. Is 'subme
Jessica
Mar 15, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, kidlit
Dang, but Brandon Mull's imagination is a weird place! In this first book in a new trilogy, he's created some of the most truly inventive and fascinating flora and fauna I've ever seen! Displacers, Seed People, three tailed rats whose kidneys taste like dessert . . . okay that last one made me gag a bit. But apparently our hero, Jason, liked it, so who am I to argue? And speaking of Jason, what a great lead character, a perfect depiction of the average jr. high age boy, thrown into this crazy ne ...more
Jonathan

A World Without Heroes is one of those books that frustrates me. It has great ideas but yet it tells its story in the same clichéd manner as every other children's fiction work out there. Were I to name some YA or children's works better and more nuanced than this I could rattle them out off the top of my head: The Chronicles of Narnia, The Bartimeus Trilogy, Steelheart, Alice in Wonderland, The Hobbit, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Stoneheart and the list continues...
I did however rate this
Michelle Isenhoff
I’ve developed a love-hate relationship with this book. It took me a week to really give it a chance. I thought the writing style rather rough, with awkward word choices and excessive adjectives and adverbs. But as I moved into the heart of the adventure, I became hooked. Once I really started, I finished it in just two days, and it’s a 450 page book. Here’s what got me:

Jason Walker happened upon the strangest portal between worlds ever. After an episode involving a hippopotamus and the musical
Zahra Rhm
Mar 18, 2016 Zahra Rhm rated it really liked it
قهرمان بودن یعنی انتخاب راه درست بدون درنظرگرفتن عواقبش.
گاهی قهرمان بودن سخت نیست. جیسون نیروی خاصی نداره. نه جادوهای ماورایی، نه توان جسمی ویژه. فقط یک پرتاب کننده خوب بازی بیسباله. با این وجود، شجاعت به خرج میده و سعی می کنه دنیایی رو که کسی جرئت مقابله با امپراتور ظالمش رو نداره، نجات بده.
Rae
Oct 30, 2012 Rae rated it liked it
To be honest, I haven’t read anything from Brandon Mull yet, notwithstanding his well-known children’s series Fablehaven (which I certainly would like to check out some time), not until Beyonders: A World Without Heroes. I’ve been seeing this on GR for a while now, so imagine my exhilaration as soon as I found this on Booksale’s crammed shelves; thus, I momentarily purchased it without any second thoughts.

The story kicks off when a 13-year old middle-grader, Jason, heard an unusual sound coming
Librarysteph
Jan 20, 2011 Librarysteph rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teen boys, fans of adventure and fantasy, baseball fans,
Recommended to Librarysteph by: Simon & Schuster Canada
Shelves: high-fantasy
This is a fantastic book of adventure that will appeal to both boys and girls. Jason’s quest is interesting and full of cool creatures and characters. From the very first quote, full of irony, I knew I would enjoy Mull’s sense of humour. There was a chapter near the end of the book where I was laughing out loud in fits of giggles because it was so ridiculous and awesome.
I have mixed feelings about an enemy who has the power to kill instantly but prefers to toy with his victims. This is overly co
Fredrik
Sep 20, 2012 Fredrik rated it it was amazing
Di luar dugaan...
buku ini ternyata LEBIH BAGUS daripada ekspektasiku (yang memang sudah menduga kalau ini akan bagus)! xD

Untuk standar sebuah novel bagi middle grade and children, buku pertama Beyonders ini layak dapat 5 bintang. Top.
Ceritanya, twist-nya, humornya, pesannya... Hai(n)yaaa~ <3

Juga yang menarik adalah karena cara bercerita di buku ini, apalagi dialognya, justru mengingatkanku pada game-game adventure di PC, khususnya serial Monkey Island (which is one of my favorite games ever!)
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Feb 01, 2012 Erik This Kid Reviews Books rated it it was amazing
Thirteen year old Jason had a very unexciting life. He was just like any other teenager. He went to school and worked part-time at a zoo after school. One day, Jason thought he heard music coming from the hippo’s mouth (yes you read it right, music from a hippo’s mouth). When he leaned over the railing to investigate he thought the music was coming from INSIDE the hippo. He leaned too much and fell into the hippo’s mouth which wasn’t really any hippo’s mouth but a doorway to the world of Lyrian. ...more
Wickedshizuku
Dec 07, 2011 Wickedshizuku rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Adventure fans
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: FableHaven by same author
Only Brandon Mull can pull off something as ridiculous as a protagonist being swallowed by a hippopotamus. Yes you read correctly, a hippopotamus.
hippo gif photo: Hippo CharlieSheenHippopotamus.gif
This truly has been pleasure to read.
This was an intensive adventure, and I'm so glad that I bought the box-set of the trilogy. I've decided to pace myself on this series.
Cheri
Jul 18, 2010 Cheri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, wishlist
I just finished the advanced reading copy of Beyonders A World Without Heroes. This was a fast paced read, very hard to put down. The book will not be released until March 22, 2011. Although this book is geared for middle readers, it will be enjoyed by all ages from young to old. Brandon Mull is a great writer. I am a big fan of Fablehaven but I think this new series may just top Fablehaven, I can't wait for the next book in the series!!!
Kimberly Bartholomew
Oct 15, 2016 Kimberly Bartholomew rated it it was amazing
Jason, a 13-year-old boy with the love of baseball, led a pretty normal life, but when he heard music coming out of a hippopotamus, his whole world was turned upside down. He wasn't going crazy or hearing things because of a concussion he had gotten from hitting his head with a baseball, the music was coming from a completely different world. Leaning forward to investigate, Jason fell into the hippopotamus’ mouth, and landed in the middle of the forest.
Finding help from a strange lore master,
Linda Zunialvi
*berusaha mengabaikan tampilan baru gutrits yg ngeselin (SUMPAH BIKIN BAD MOOD orang yg lagi bahagia habis nemu buku bagus aja!)*

Aku bingung menggolongkan buku ini kemana. Distopia iya (demi apa pun Lyrian itu dunia desperate. Aku ga akan mau kalau2 sampai terpental ke sana!), fantasi juga iya karna ada unsur sihir dan makhluk2 ajaib seperti Sang Pemindah (yang bisa mutus2in anggota tubuh kayak cicak) dan Kaum Amar (yang bisa hidup lagi kalau benihnya ditanam di tanah yg subur). Okelah gabungan
Mairéad (is roaming the Undying Lands)
{December 8th, 2014} MINI-REVIEW

“In short, heroism means doing the right thing regardless of the consequences.”

2.5 stars (ouch much?).

Apparently I never did the review or update for this one, my bad. Been so scatterbrained lately with all the preparations for Christmas and my trip that will beginning on December 21st. It has been absolutely insane as of late! And I think another reason why I hadn't done anything about this book was because it felt so meh. And here it started out so promising..
Alexa Ayana
Feb 25, 2015 Alexa Ayana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jason tak pernah ingin jadi pahlawan. Dia juga tak ingin jadi musuh kaisar yang jago sihir dan di kejar-kejar algojonya yang beraneka rupa. Dia cuma ingin kembali ke dunianya, tapi takdir mempertemukannya dengan Rachel dan terus menuntun mereka berdua menjauh dari jalan pulang sebelum menyelesaikan misi yang bisa menyelamatkan Lyrian.

"Kalian berdua memilih jalan yang tepat, walaupun itu yang paling sukar. Inilah esensi kepahlawanan."

Storyline buku middle grade ini di luar dugaan komplek, seru d
Erica (daydreamer)
Well, quite a fantastic adventure I must say! A World Without Heroes is certainly a very imaginative, creative story in a very intriguing, strange world. It will definitely appeal to all Fablehaven fans (and if it doesn’t, well something must be wrong with you ;), and pretty much any young teenager looking for a fantastical adventure. I really enjoyed reading it.

The two main characters, Jason and Rachel, are two teenagers who unintentionally get sucked from our world into a whole new, magical w
IndyPL Kids Book Blog
Mar 06, 2012 IndyPL Kids Book Blog rated it it was amazing
From the author of the Fablehaven series comes another highly imaginative world full of unique characters and interesting plot twists. I like it when characters are smart - even the bad guys. I like it when things I can’t predict happen and they make perfect sense.

This books starts with a prologue that is a very gripping description of a warrior in a dungeon chained to a wall, suffering both physically and mentally. He is determined not to break and tell his captor what he wants to know.

The prin
Natalie
Mar 28, 2011 Natalie rated it really liked it
I read this book for the second time because I needed a refresher before I read Book #2. It was a good thing too, because I realized that I had forgotten so much. I didn't even really remember the biggest point of the story - the climax - until I was nearly done.

Second time through was still fun. I was a little impatient, though, because I was anxious to start the second book. Therefore, I didn't find it as fascinating as the first time, but still enjoyable. Still leaving it with a four star ra
Cintya Larasinta
cukup 2 kata adalah LUAR BIASA!

ini kisah petualangan penuh FANTASI yg luar biasa, humor, imajinasi dengan dialog2 cerdas dan rapi. Saya tidak pernah membaca buku Brandon Mull sebelumnya ketika saya mencoba penasaran mengambil buku ini. Dari halaman pertama saya bnr2 terpaku dengan pembukaan gelap dan kuat yang mendorong pembaca ke dunia Lyrian. setiap halamannya berisi petualangan, drama, loyalitas dan pengkhianatan
Abduraafi Andrian
Satu lagi kisah fiksi fantasi yang epik! Sangat klasik! Dan ... tebal!

Awalnya aku ragu dengan novel setebal hampir 600 halaman ini. Dengan kertas buram dan berat yang hampir 300 gram (kurang lebih). Tapi, itu baru kesan pertama dari bentuk luar. Seperti sebuah kurma yang keriput dan terlalu tidak menarik jika dilihat, tetapi bila dimakan terasa manis dan legit. Abaikan!

Ya, memang, awalnya juga aku menebak-nebak kisah dari negeri manakah, kisah dari mitologi bangsa apakah yang diceritakan oleh om
Daniel
Feb 15, 2013 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barangkali akan menjadi buku pamungkas saya di tahun ini, dan buat saya, sepanjang tahun 2013 ini saya sudah membaca sejumlah buku yang cukup menyenangkan. Diawali dengan First oleh Azura--yang dipas-pasin aja sebagai buku pertama yang saya baca di tahun 2013--dan diakhiri dengan Beyonders oleh Brandon Mull yang sangat bagus, yang termasuk segelintir dari sedikit buku yang saya kasih lima bintang tahun ini.

Belum-belum udah curhat. :v

Saya biasanya selalu suka dengan cerita fantasi ala game RPG ya
Despair Speaking
I'm actually glad I decided to get my own copy of Beyonders just a few months ago. Because if I got this earlier, I probably would've gone insane wondering what will happen next. Since I'm a late fan, that means the last book will come out quite soon. Otherwise... I don't even want to think about it.

The main character, Jason, is a volunteer in a zoo and happened to be hanging around the hippo tank when he heard this strange music. Wondering if someone dumped a music player inside the tank, he ch
Rhiannon Ryder
May 10, 2011 Rhiannon Ryder rated it really liked it
I am a HUGE Fablehaven fan. The hubby introduced me to the series by buying the box set of the first four books for me one Christmas or birthday or some such, and they launched a bit of a mania, to say the least. This was compounded by the non-release of the concluding part- Keys to the Demon Prison, in Canada, which meant I had to wait an extra month before sinking my teeth into it. So it goes without saying I was going to read The Beyonders series with bells on.

It took me awhile to get to it (
An Odd1
Jan 20, 2012 An Odd1 rated it it was ok
"A World Without Heroes" (Beyonders 1) by Brandon Mull is Lyria. One wizard remains, a tyrant ruler vulnerable to a secret magic word who discourages opposition. A few skilled adults in turn aid two foretold saviors, American children (13 is barely teen) uncommonly skilled in knife and bow, but not paddling (unlikely in Canada). Circumstances propel them more than courage. I feel danger to the pair more than Lyrians met once. Author imagination is creative; reader (my) involvement superficial. M ...more
Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton
Exciting, clever, and perfectly suited for the twelve-year old boy in your home, A World Without Heroes is the first of three in Brandon Mull's Beyonder series.

The Goodreads blurb for A World Without Heroes is pretty blase and underwhelming, summarizing a plot that sounds not unlike a dozen other adolescent books. A child or teen, at a crossroads in life, stumbles upon a portal or passageway to another world. Adventures ensue. A way home is found, the child older and wiser.

For example, try C.S
Harthenham 2 8 Mar 02, 2016 02:38PM
  • Slathbog's Gold (Adventurers Wanted, #1)
  • Choke (Pillage, #2)
  • Return to Exile (The Hunter Chronicles #1)
  • Water Keep (Farworld, #1)
  • Secrets of New Forest Academy (Janitors, #2)
  • The Second Siege (The Tapestry, #2)
  • Dragon Games (The Books of Umber, #2)
  • The Hunt for Dark Infinity (The 13th Reality, #2)
  • The Outcasts (Brotherband Chronicles, #1)
Brandon Mull resides in a happy little valley near the mouth of a canyon with his wife and three children. He spent two years living in the Atacama Desert of Northern Chile where he learned Spanish and juggling. He once won a pudding eating contest in the park behind his grandma’s house, earning a gold medal. Brandon is the author of the New York Times bestselling Fablehaven series and The Candy S ...more
More about Brandon Mull...

Beyonders (3 books)
  • Seeds of Rebellion (Beyonders, #2)
  • Chasing the Prophecy (Beyonders, #3)

“You're just a character in my dream."
"You wish."
"I didn't mean my love interest," she replied defensively. "You'd have better hair. You're the character I dreamed up because the rest of the dream was making me homesick."
"Maybe you're the character I dreamed up to scare myself awake."
"That's not very nice!"
"You made fun of my hair. I like it this way. Short and simple."
I don't mind short. Mine is short."
"Then what's wrong with mine?" Jason challenged.
"Maybe we should talk about something else."
"Like the guy on a horse coming to kill us?"
"It needs more style," she muttered.
"The horse?"
"Your hair."
"I forgot to bring my gel when I got eaten by a hippo.”
62 likes