Jessica's Reviews > A World Without Heroes

A World Without Heroes by Brandon Mull

202724
Mar 15, 2011

bookshelves: kidlit, fantasy

Dang, but Brandon Mull's imagination is a weird place! In this first book in a new trilogy, he's created some of the most truly inventive and fascinating flora and fauna I've ever seen! Displacers, Seed People, three tailed rats whose kidneys taste like dessert . . . okay that last one made me gag a bit. But apparently our hero, Jason, liked it, so who am I to argue? And speaking of Jason, what a great lead character, a perfect depiction of the average jr. high age boy, thrown into this crazy new world and given a quest! I loved his confession, toward the end, of everything that scared him. Because really, aren't we all afraid of ventriloquist's dummies?!

There's a sense of childlike glee, mixed with wonder, in this book that just can't help but make the reader smile. A very fun adventure, and I can't wait for the next one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A World Without Heroes.

March 15, 2011 – Shelved
page 335
May 14, 2011 – Shelved as: kidlit
May 14, 2011 – Shelved as: fantasy
May 14, 2011 – Finished Reading

Christine Jensen Don't fall in a hippo's mouth again, kay? (Saw you on stage at the book launch party last night :) )

message 2: by Sierra (new) - added it

Sierra Abrams OOOOHH now I'm really looking forward to this! :)

Karen Keyte I liked this one too, very strange (but interesting) world. I think the seed people were my favorites.

Karis (YA Litwit) Jacobstein Oooh! I have this sitting on my nightstand. I was going to get going on Starcrossed, but I think I may have to put this one first!