Start by marking “A Study in Emerald” as Want to Read:
A Study in Emerald

A Study in Emerald

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  3,851 ratings  ·  218 reviews
Alluding to both the Sherlock Holmes canon and the Old Ones of the Cthulhu Mythos, this Hugo Award-winning short story will delight fans of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, H. P. Lovecraft, and of course, Neil Gaiman.

A Study in Emerald draws listeners in through carefully revealed details as a consulting detective and his narrator friend solve the mystery of a murdered German noble
Audiobook, 1 page
Published December 3rd 2007 by Harper Audio (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Study in Emerald, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Study in Emerald

mark monday
A Study in Emerald Study Guide

>What is A Study in Emerald?
1) A pastiche
2) A parody
3) A trifle
4) A tisket
5) A tasket
6) A green and yellow basket

>What is "A Study in Emerald"?
1) A reference to a classic Sherlock Holmes story
2) A disgusting green mess of bile that is sprayed all over the place after a disgusting un-man has been slain

>Who is the protagonist of A Study in Emerald?
1) Sherlock Holmes
2) Professor James Moriarty
3) Cthulhu
4) Queen Victoria
5) Neil Gaiman

>Why did A Study in Emer
Tadiana ♕Part-Time Dictator♕
My relationship with Neil Gaiman is still extremely complicated, but hey, I finally read something of his that I'm giving 5 stars! Although it's a very qualified 5 stars.

"A Study in Emerald" won the Hugo Award for short stories in 2004. It's a brilliant mash-up of the Sherlock Holmes universe and H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos. If you're quite familiar with both of those things, you'll probably love this story.

If you're not terribly familiar with either of those things, you are welcome to try
Jonathan

This short story can be read here in a rather unique and interesting 'periodical' form.

What is A Study in Emerald? It is a mixture of two different worlds (view spoiler) Clearly from the title one can see that it is a reference to the notable classic A Study in Scarlet. In fact the very first page or so seems to almost copy that Sherlock tale word-for-word. Which leads me to question plagiarism in connection to stories li
Anthony Chavez
"A Study in Emerald" is a blend of the world of Sherlock Holmes with that of H.P. Lovecraft, and the writing style is a homage to both Lovecraft and Doyle. For being a Sherlock Holmes story, the name Sherlock Holmes never appears in the prose. While Gaiman does not seem to have the consistent mastery of the short story that he does of comic and novel format, when he gets it right, he gets it very right. The tale is impossible to predict from start to finish. It is, as Gaiman explains in the intr ...more
Lyn
Elementary, my dear Cthulhu.

Neil Gaiman’s 2003 short story A Study in Emerald won the 2004 Hugo Award for Best Story.

Because it is a really good story.

Is it Sherlock Holmes? Is it Lovecraft? Is it both? I also had to remind myself that this was Gaiman and not China Mieville.

Set in an alternate England in an alternative history, this smart short work pays homage to Doyle and Lovecraft and is tied together by the inimitable Neil Gaiman,

so it has that going for it.

Entertaining and fun, this also l
Kat  Hooper
3.5 Originally posted at Fantasy Literature.

A Study in Emerald is a Hugo and Locus Award winning short story by Neil Gaiman in which he pays tribute to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes and H.P. Lovecraft’s Cthulhu Mythos.

At first Gaiman’s story appears to be a straight Sherlock Holmes pastiche as a man who appears to be Watson relates how his new friend, a consulting detective who appears to be Holmes, is being asked by Inspector Lestrade to help solve a murder mystery. In fact, it compl
Vicky
I adore Neil Gaiman’s writing, I love the Sherlock Holmes canon and I have a soft spot for witty references. Imagine my excitement when I stumbled upon this short story.

Set in an alternate Victorian London where the reigning monarchs are unearthly creatures who defeated humanity 700 years ago, it borrows heavily from A Study in Scarlet, yet still remains original by throwing in a great deal of hints and a twist along the way before culminating in an unexpected ending. I was unfamiliar with “The
Prashant
See... I always said that I should read Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. My age and mindset won't matter. Anyone, just anyone, can have a connection with Sherlock and his precocious skills.

description

Mind it, if I hadn't read A Study in Scarlet, I wouldn't be able to enjoy this witty, cleaver than ever and it-hurts-you-because-you-are-obsessed-with-sherlock kind of story.

Hey, Gaiman, was that reference to Charing Cross Road in the story just a gimmick to rattle the fans of 84 Charing Cross Road? Damn you SOB! Yo
Ivan
9 page short story, involving Sherlock Holmes and Cthulhu mythos and it's absolutely great.
Only Gaiman could have written such thing.
Eric
Jan 09, 2012 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Neil Gaiman/Sherlock Holmes/Cthulu fans
This the perfect short story for anyone into Neil Gaiman, Sherlock Holmes and the Cthulu mythos, and it can be read, for free, as a beautiful mock newspaper pdf file on Neil Gaiman's website. It is no surprise to me this won the Hugo award. As soon as I finished reading it, I downloaded the audio book on Audible so I can experience it again, as read by Neil Gaiman himself.
Amber
I found this story to read for free online on Neil Gaiman's website. This was a pretty good Sherlock Holmes Mystery/H.P. Lovecraft Mash-up. Sherlock Holmes and a Watson-like character are sent on a mystery to see who murdered a royal in a study in Emerald in an alternate Victorian London. I enjoyed checking this out and you can check out the story here. Enjoy! http://www.neilgaiman.com/mediafiles/...
Daniel
Jos jedna zabavna knjizica od Gajmena. Prosto pozelis da napise citav roman a ne samo ovakvu kratku formu.

Ali najace u celom delu su mi bili oglasi (narocito za Dr Dzekila).

Preporuka.
Claude
A Study in Emerald is a darkly beautiful pastiche, combining Sherlock Holmes and the Ctulhu Mythos.

Although it draws inspiration from A Study in Scarlet, the mystery is unique. It's interesting, and solved with that familiar arrogance and cleverness. If it weren't for the tentacles, it would feel at home in an the Strand.

The world is achingly rendered. It's Victorian London, but sickened, like a fruit rotting from the inside.

It's real strength, however, is in the characters. They're familiar
Amanda
I got this tiny audiobook (only 48 minutes) and listened to it in it's entirety on my drive home from work. I really love when Neil does his own voice work.

This is a short story based on Sherlock Holmes mysteries. We have unnamed characters, one having been tortured in the war in Afghanistan against the "gods and men", and one being a consulting detective for the police. Rooming together, the veteran notices odd comings and goings from the detective but never inquires about any of it, instead qu
Thomas
Neil Gaiman shows off his writing in his short story A Study in Emerald. A pastiche of Sherlock Holmes, its deft writing and clever ending will appeal to fans of Gaiman and of Holmes. Though I do not have much knowledge about the mystery genre, I enjoyed reading and discussing A Study in Emerald - I look forward to reading one of Neil Gaiman's novels even more now.
Lea
I absolutely loved this Sherlock Holmes/ Lovecraft mashup! (You can find it on the author's website by doing an internet search for it by title.) The edition I read was crafted as a newspaper article, complete with ads -- part of the fun is in figuring out the literary characters who placed those ads. Great fun!
Tina
The beginning pulled me in with equal parts Doyle and Gaiman, and Lord knows I've read both authors to bits. The short story is skillfully crafted, although it is not among my many, many Gaiman favorites.

I thoroughly enjoyed the faux newspaper layout and the stylish advertisements of the free PDF. Unfortunately, I fear I might be one of them who was so imprinted by Gaiman's Sandman graphic novel suite in the 90's, that I always sense a dimension is amiss when there is no art work to accompany th
Alan
When I first heard of this, a Holmes/Lovecraft mash-up by Neil Gaiman, I had to read it. I was not let down. While not a stupendous read, it was well worth the 15 minutes it took to finish. A fun read for fans of Holmes, Cthulhu or Mr. Gaiman.
Paul
Being a new reader/viewer/listener of Sherlock Holmes stories, I am completely intrigued by the concept of reinterpretations of those stories. Reading this engaged me with the familiarity of "A Study in Scarlet," the addition of mythical gore, and the mystery of narrator.

It's a quick & entertaining read, and I loved to newspaper-style of the PDF version found online. Not only did the newspaper-style pull me into the setting, but entertained me with the advertisements calling on the character
Amy Sturgis
This is my very favorite short story for good reason. With references to a number of classic Gothic texts (including Frankenstein and The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, among others), Gaiman revisits Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes (his "A Study in Scarlet," in particular) relocating it to the dark world of H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos. This is a haunting and poignant delight for any lover of Lovecraft, Conan Doyle, Victoriana, and/or the Gothic. The final, elegant twists are the ...more
Jose
A great interpretation of a classic Holmes story.
Max Jahnke
A Study in Emerald is a short story by Neil Gaiman, who has won several awards, and who is internationally recognized for works like the comic book series The Sandman and the novels American Gods and Coraline.

The title, “A Study in Emerald,” is an obvious reference to a widely known story by Sir Arthur C. Doyle, “A Study in Scarlet”.

There’s the scarlet thread of murder running through the colourless skein of life, and our duty is to unravel it, and isolate it, and expose every inch of it.

It’s
Mira Yunus
At first, I thought 'Yes, a Sherlock Holmes pastiche written by one of my favorite fantasy authors!' then I started reading and it is just too much of A Study in Scarlet all over again with references to HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, which I had not known before (After the first read I did a little wikipedia reading, then it all makes sense).

The story set in an alternate reality in which England was still called as Albion and conquered by the Cthulhu (which became the monarchs alongside humans
Kc
Neil Gaiman’s short story “A Study in Emerald” was completely intriguing. He writes in a similar style to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, with specific details given but just enough left out that clever readers will deduce alongside Sherlock. I have always been a fan of mystery stories, and although this one was not a thriller, it did not disappoint. There were plot twists aplenty. The story has a fantastically riddled setting: in Victorian England but with allusions to the Cthulhu Mythos interspersed. ...more
Suncerae
This Hugo award-winning short story mystery is a shining example of Gaiman’s ability to blur the lines between myth and reality. Specifically, this story stimulates the active listening required for deduction, as in the classic Sir Arthur Conan Doyle detective stories, while also providing a hint of horror a la H.P. Lovecraft that will spark your imagination.

An unnamed veteran narrator, together with a friend who possesses extraordinary deductive skill, are called upon by an Inspector of Scotlan
♣Stephanie♣
Before I even knew about this story I had the board game. It intrigued me b/c I love Sherlock Holmes and anything that's influenced by Holmes is intriguing to me. The fact that this is combined with elder gods makes it even better.
(The fact that I was clueless about the story just shows how out of the book world I've been for way too long - I'm getting better at getting back in ;))
The audiobook version of this story is great. I love hearing Neil Gaiman read his own story - it's probably one of
Suz
HP Lovecraft + Sir Arthur Conan Doyle + Written & Narrated by Neil Gaiman = WIN.

This is a short story (from Fragile Things if the reviews I've read are correct) offered as a freebie by Audible and it's written by Neil Gaiman. If you are a fan of Lovecraft and the Cthulhu mythos and/or Sherlock Holmes, this short story (seriously, 48 min) is awesome. Neil Gaiman is also a fantastic narrator, so this is a win all-round.
Lily
я поки що не фанат Геймана, бо практично нічого не читала, але за це поєднання світів Конан Дойля і Лавкрафта ставлю тверду п'ятірку. завжди цінувала фантастику з присмаком детективу, правда, тут це не просто "фантастика" і "детектив", це лавкрафтівщина і конандойлівщина, окремі мегапідрозділи цих жанрів)
Kat
Read this story in the Shadows Over Baker Street collection. It was undoubtedly the best story in the whole volume, and turns the traditional Sherlock Holmes story formula on its ear in a delightful way, while also incorporating Lovecraftian myth. Awesome.
Ken
A Victorian horror starring Sherlock Holmes in a Lovecraft-ian setting with a brutal twist of an ending written by Neil Gaiman. What more can you say?

5 STARS

• Dust and Shadow: An Account of the Ripper Killings by Dr. John H. Watson
  • A Study In Lavender: Queering Sherlock Holmes
  • The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes
  • Christmas in the Trenches
  • The Holmes-Dracula File (Dracula Series, #2)
  • Sherlock Holmes in America
  • The Science of Sherlock Holmes: From Baskerville Hall to the Valley of Fear, the Real Forensics Behind the Great Detective's Greatest Cases
  • Kissing Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula
  • A Night in the Lonesome October
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Whitechapel Vampire
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
American Gods (American Gods, #1) Coraline The Graveyard Book Neverwhere The Ocean at the End of the Lane

“I am selfish, private and easily bored. Will this be a problem?” 1120 likes
“I have a feeling,’ he said, ‘I have a feeling that we were meant to be together. That we have fought the good fight, side by side, in the past or in the future, I do not know. I am a rational man, but I have learned the value of a good companion, and from the moment I clapped eyes on you, I knew I trusted you as well as I do myself. Yes, I want you with me.” 32 likes