Start by marking “Tick Tock” as Want to Read:
Tick Tock

Tick Tock

3.71  ·  Rating Details ·  26,559 Ratings  ·  796 Reviews
Tommy Phan, a successful detective novelist, comes home one evening to find a small rag doll on his doorstep. That night, with the popping of two stitches, something terrifying will emerge to tear apart the fabric of Tommy's reality--and his life. Updated author Web site at deankoontz.com.
Published September 20th 1996 by Random House (NY) (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Tick Tock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tick Tock

Odd Thomas by Dean KoontzWatchers by Dean KoontzIntensity by Dean KoontzLightning by Dean KoontzLife Expectancy by Dean Koontz
Best Dean Koontz Books
20th out of 77 books — 780 voters
The Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAngels & Demons by Dan BrownThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
Thrillers
199th out of 2,486 books — 3,122 voters

More lists with this book...

Alejandro
Aug 09, 2016 Alejandro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creepy fun reading!

LAUGHING WHILE CREEPING OUT!

This is a great novel, only that curiously when I bought this book, I bought also, another novel by Dean Koontz titled "Life Expectancy" (you can see my review of that book here: Life Expectancy .

I comment this, since I found both novels quite similar.

Not exactly the general story and developing but the mood of the storyline.

I totally adored Life Expectancy and I jumped right after that book to read this one and I was like "Mmh, I'm feeling lik
Matthew
Do you like horror and suspense but are looking for something light and humorous in the genre? Did you just finish a massive, heavy novel and you need a quick getaway? Give Tick Tock a try - it is clever, unusual, and often hilarious. You may or may not like it, but does it hurt to give it a try?
Sandra
Tommy Phan buys a new Corvette and, pleased with his purchase, he cruises around for awhile in his dream car. After he gets home the doorbell at the front of his house rings. When he answers the door no one is there, but someone has left a strange cloth doll with a note attached to it on his doorstep. After bringing the doll into his house Tommy lives to regret it.

This was a fast-paced, sometimes funny, and really strange read. It was sort of a horror-comedy. I liked Tommy. I enjoyed his inner t
Ani
May 13, 2008 Ani rated it it was amazing
My first Dean Koontz book, and what an introduction! This book defines what Dean Koontz is all about. He'll reel you in from the first page to the very end, transport you into a world that you're so sure is this but turns out to be that. In this book you actually begin to fear a stupid little rag doll that is more terrifying than Penny Wise (from Stephen King's It) and terribly persistent, and when you find out who's controlling it... Honestly? This book will slap you over and over and over, and ...more
Maciek
It's very absurd, fast-paced and engaging. A book which you can read in a few hours, not be bored, put it away and then read it again after a month or two because you've already forgotten it. Quick, fun, ideal for travel.
Robyn
Mar 17, 2012 Robyn rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
What a mess. This book is just all over the place. From the nonsensical story line, to the overly goofy characters, Everything in this book can't seem to make up it's mind about what to be. It's not scary enough to be a horror novel, and the strangeness and bad puns want to make it a comedy, but it isn't very funny. I really feel as though the major plot points were chosen at random, perhaps through the "pull some words out of a hat and make a story about them" method. You can make a good story ...more
Sarah Anne
I wasn't particularly crazy about this the first time I read it. It's an odd book with some slightly bizarre humor. I knew that he wrote this because the other books he was writing got too intense but I was intrigued by the afterword. Apparently his goal with this was to combine a supernatural thriller with screwball comedy. This explains soooo much.

This book is the sole reason that I always hesitate over bringing an unknown package into the house, even though I read it over 15 years ago.

Tommy P
Tasmin
Dec 05, 2008 Tasmin rated it it was amazing
This book is about a man named Tommy who lives in California. One night he gets a doll that shows up on his door step. Then out of no where it comes alive and is on a mission to kill Tommy. Now, Tommy is running for his life meeting new people and trying to figure out why this thing is trying to kill him.
This book kept me reading because I wanted to know what would happen to Tommy and if he would survive the evil doll trying to kill him. I tryed to predict the ending, but predicting is a 50/50 c
Andrew
Aug 19, 2016 Andrew rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book offends me greatly. I was offended at the first 30 pages of foreigner stereotypes (give a Vietnamese mother a food obsession, over-protectedness and an inability to form predicates despite otherwise idiomatic English and you get Koontz' ridiculously pathetic attempt at being "diverse.") Hideous!

As horror it's also pathetic. Too much happens too soon. There's no build-up or tension. An inane monster (sort of) terrorizes two idiots when they're not engaged in the most banal dialogue ever
Todd
Feb 22, 2009 Todd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dean Koontz created a real page turner in TICK TOCK. Heck, even the cover art works well with the book on this one. It's an all around winner. I'll tell you up front one complaint that keeps it from being a 5 star - it's only one book.

The book chronicles the night from hell for Tommy Phan. Starting with the purchase of his first corvette the ride just keeps going from there.

This book is not what it seems at first. When I picked this up I expected a horror story, with focus on Tommy and a demonic
Adrianna
Jun 02, 2015 Adrianna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Let me just make a list:
Stereotypical on race. Poorly executed horror/comedy mix. Unidentifiable characters. A think-as-I-go plot. Nonexistent world/environment building and character development. Laughable romance, if you can even call it that. An ending not worth reading toward...in the slightest. A book I wish I could un-read and have my time back.
Janie Johnson
In the beginning, the first 25 pages or so, the book seemed to be a little wordy, a little draggy, and then boom you enter a world of doom with a creepy little white demon doll! Chapter 2 was definitely the highlight of the book for me.

I thought it was pretty cool how Tommy compared himself to his detective character in his book. He was the complete opposite of him, but you could tell he wanted to be like him. He had a great character in the story, but I would have liked to see him become a stro
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Oct 21, 2009 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers who like books with Asian protagonists, Koontz fans
Annette
Sep 20, 2007 Annette rated it really liked it
Shelves: damnfunny
Slapstick horror?

It was a bit like "Bringing Up Baby" meets "Joy Luck Club" meets "Halloween" meets "Close Encounters".

I can't even imagine to whom I might recommend this book because it crossed so many genres. Horror fans would most likely find the banter annoying. Romance readers would most likely be put off by the violence.

But it made me laugh and kept me in suspense and I loved the three main characters - whom I envisioned as Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant, and scary Mrs. Kim from Gilmore
Kathy Worrell  ツ
Jun 16, 2016 Kathy Worrell ツ rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
I read Tick Tock over 20 years ago and now I just finished this on audiobook. I would give the story 3 stars this time.
I love Dean Koontz' wild and zany characters, but I thought the story just wasn't my style.
I'm not a big fan of the terminator gingerbread man.
Robjr73
Jun 12, 2016 Robjr73 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dean-koontz
When I first joined Goodreads, I had about a good 20 minutes of fun searching books that I had read and giving them ratings based off of memory. Tick Tock was a book I had read like 15 years ago and I had recalled enjoying it a lot so I gave it five stars. I remember there being a doll that morphs into a monster that chases the main character around and my memory seemed to recall that it was one of the best Koontz books I'd read at the time.

So now I read it again. I was excited to do so. The fi
Courtney Hoover
Jul 02, 2012 Courtney Hoover rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Koontz's more fun, adventurous, pulse-ounding books with lots of unexpected twists and turns to it. As I was reading it, I kept calling it an 'odd book but pretty good,' which is still how I feel about it for the most part. It's a mixture of sci-fi and horror but always with some levity in it and a great Koontz adventure that will leave you breathless with an added element of humor and just a bit of romance. There's an interesting "Note to the reader" at the end of the book that ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Sep 24, 2012 Mike (the Paladin) rated it liked it
Just a word of warning, if somebody leaves a creepy, little cloth doll with thread sewn features...don't take it in. Burn it quick...get help...

Koontz writes books the run from fantastic to (in my opinion) almost unreadable. This one is on the plus side. Enjoyable. Though again I wonder, did this guy NEVER read a horror novel or see a horror movie. Never trust creepy dolls.
Matt
Mar 25, 2010 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural, 2010
I don't recall having read anything by Dean Koontz before. As far as I'm aware, he is regarded as a second-rate version of Stephen King. I am fairly sure I got this impression from my mother, for whom I picked up a copy of Ticktock from a second hand store. Anyway, reading the cover caught my interest and I decided to read it before handing it over.

My initial impression was that Koontz over-described everything. You could cut this 300 page book down to 200 pages and not skip a beat. I've since b
John
Dec 01, 2011 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, thriller
Is there any harder genre to pull off than the horror/comedy? Unless you're watching Bruce Campbell in Evil Dead 2 or in Bubba Ho-Tep, you're virtually guaranteed to be left feeling unsatisfied. In Ticktock, the big bad starts out like something from the movie Child's Play and then evolves into a Terminator rip-off. The whole thing has a make-it-up-as-you-go feel to it, and the ending--which comes out of nowhere--is likely to give you a headache in its absurdity. The characters act stupidly, ...more
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Everything is more than it seems, but nothing is as mysterious as it appears to be. -Chapter 6

Reality is what we carry in our hearts.... - Chapter 9

I liked this the second time around better than the first, and even more the third time :-) Originally read in 2009 and re-read when Tick Tock was chosen as the October 2012 Group Read for for the Koontzland - Dean Koontz group. Re-read in October 2014.

I loved the character of Deliverance Payne especially and thought the book was really fun.
Donald Armfield
It been awhile since I read a book from master of suspense and this book made remember what I have been missing.

A rag doll turns into a freighting terror. Chasing a couple through the streets. Stealing cars with ease they conclude to an ending with a twist.

Horror, Suspense with a drop of Sci-fi gives you the time ticking read of amazement. TICK TOCK!
Xxertz
I adored this book as a teen. I guess I'm not as much fun as an adult...
Misha Bella
Sep 06, 2011 Misha Bella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Del kicks major ass I <3 her and Scootie!
Janifer

I read this book for Mrs. Orona’s English IV class .This book is called “ Tick Tock “ by Dean Koontz. The book was published by “Random House Publishing Group” and contains 77,571 words and 334 pages. I decided to read this book because , this book was a gift from my grandma and when Mrs. Orona told the class to go home and find a book to read i figured this would be the perfect book to read, since i had never read the book.

Tommy is the main character in my novel , he is a big shot detective in
Stephen
Oct 28, 2011 Stephen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: miscellaneous
Tommy Phan is living the American Dream. He was a reporter, now he’s a self-employed detective novelist working from the comfort of his home. With his new, larger salary, he is able to buy a corvette and fulfill his childhood dream. Although Phan is Vietnamese by birth, he thinks of himself more as an American. He actually wants to be just an American. However, Phan’s desire to “Americanize” himself doesn’t sit well with his family, especially his mother, since they live according to simple ...more
Johnny
Oct 28, 2012 Johnny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, own-it
Paul
Jan 22, 2014 Paul rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I know this book was meant as a bit of an outlet for Koontz after coming off more exhausting writing like "Dark Rivers of the Heart", but I think it's a disaster. His intent was to make sort of a screwball comedy, and while I like the comedic elements in his book "Mr. Murder", I found this one exhausting for me to read.

The main problem is the lead female character Del. She's annoying. INCREDIBLY annoying. Imagine if every time you talked to a friend or significant other, he/she said something l
Nabila Parnella
May 03, 2012 Nabila Parnella rated it it was amazing
This book Tick Tock by Dean Koontz is a pretty thrilling book that is about a Vietnamese man named Tommy who lives alone with his dog named Del who got visited by a small rag voodoo doll right on his doorstep. The doll had a crossed black stitches for its mouth, eyes plus the heart and entirely had a white cloth on, he was curious whether to keep the doll or not. What he didnt know was that the rag voodoo doll is evil, the mission for the rag voodoo doll was to follow and kill Tommy as soon as ...more
C.C. Thomas
Jan 09, 2015 C.C. Thomas rated it it was ok
Fortunately, this wasn't my first Dean Koontz book. If it were, it would be my first...and my last. Normally, I can count on Koontz to provide me with a chilling story, a taut plot, and unforgettable characters. Now, I just want to forget this whole thing.

By his own admission in the introduction, Koontz wanted to do something different with this book. He sought to meld together a variety of genres and write a light-hearted, romantic, horror story. If that sounds a bit strange, that's the perfect
2015 Reading Chal...: Tick Tock by Dean Koontz 3 23 Nov 01, 2015 02:24PM
Koontzland - Dean...: TICK TOCK (Group Read - November 2014) 30 39 Nov 07, 2014 10:30AM
  • The Voice of the Night
  • The Fall of the Dream Machine / The Star Venturers (Ace Double, 22600)
  • Dragonfly
  • Dance with the Devil
  • Invasion
  • King Blood
  • The Homing

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...

“Tommy told Sal about the strange white-cloth figure with black stitches that he had found on the front porch.
"Sounds like Pillsbury Doughboy gone punk," Sal said.”
13 likes
“The chill, like scurrying spiders, worked deeper into him, weaving webs of ice in the hollows of his bones.” 3 likes