Start by marking “The Transfer (Divergent, #0.1)” as Want to Read:
The Transfer (Divergent, #0.1)

The Transfer (Divergent 0.1)

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  44,000 Ratings  ·  2,804 Reviews
Complete your Divergent library with the Four stories!

Fans of the Divergent series by #1 New York Times bestselling author Veronica Roth will be captivated by "Four: The Transfer," the first of four stories, each between fifty and seventy-five pages long, set in the world of Divergent and told from Tobias's perspective.

In "The Transfer," readers witness Tobias's aptitude t
Published September 3rd 2013 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about The Transfer, please sign up.

Kristina I read the first 3 books in this series, and I see nothing inappropriate about them, I am a home schooled mom and I would say those were appropriate…moreI read the first 3 books in this series, and I see nothing inappropriate about them, I am a home schooled mom and I would say those were appropriate for 7th graders, especially compared to some of the stuff out there.(less)
Bella Wright This is definitely worth reading if you love your heart beating energetically and being whisked away to a world of fun and dangerous possibilities,…moreThis is definitely worth reading if you love your heart beating energetically and being whisked away to a world of fun and dangerous possibilities, leaving you constantly at a cliffhanger. Once you read the first book, the rest of the trilogy won't even seem like an option to read, you'll be drawn into reading it.(less)

Ayesha
After reading- (I'm collecting my emotions to write this review)

Tobias is Foursome, Fourtastic and Fourgasmic!

I've been a huge fan of Divergent right from the beginning and yes, I'M IN LOVE WITH FOUR!
While reading Divergent I've always been intrigued by the mysterious, charismatic, sexy and badass Tobias Eaton and always wondered how it would be to know more about his life before joining Dauntless, how it would
♥ Becky  22
Sep 16, 2013 ♥ Becky 22 added it
Shelves: 2013
OH MY GOD, THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVER!!

Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie

Do my eyes deceive me?

A whole story in Four's POV

karen
veronica roth is so smart.

not only is she releasing, in measured intervals, four novellas (four about FOUR!! get it??) that lead right up to the release date for the Divergent movie in march, but she is being smart about how she writes them.

i wasn't crazy about Free Four: Tobias Tells the Story, but this one is fantastic. with Free Four: Tobias Tells the Story, she just retold a scene from Divergent from tobias' perspective. which is nice, but since i am too old to be crushing on a (teenage) c
Christine Riccio
Sep 07, 2013 Christine Riccio rated it really liked it
Poor 16 year old Four.
Sabrina
Sep 03, 2013 (before reading)
A fat cow never goes unmilked… and so here it comes the army of overpriced short stories.

Kindle Price: $2.06
Print Length: 30 pages

Seriously.

Oct 26, 2013 (after reading)
Just for clarity's sake: on my ADE reader, the ebook was exactly 34 pages long, and the story began on page 4 (Four! Hehe) and ended on page 29, for a net total of 25 pages.

I'm not one of those people who think that everything should be free or at least very cheap. And I don't want to squabble over a m
Joana
Damn it, I didn't expected to get so emotional with this novella...

I wanted to punch Marcus...

...and then salute Four, for being his kick ass self.

So overall...
Carolina Carriço
Apr 26, 2014 Carolina Carriço rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
What can I say?! I love Tobias Eaton ! And this book was awesome!

Reading another short story on his POV was such a magical experience. Finding more about his relationship with Marcus son of a bitch! I hate him and how was his Choosing Ceremony and how he felt about it. How did he make up his mind about which faction he would choose. And finally how he felt in his first tests in Dauntless and how he got his nickname

FOUR
Ferdy
2.5 stars - Spoilers

Meh, it was mostly boring. The storyline was decent enough with Tobias wanting to escape his abusive dad, thus transferring to Dauntless, and then jumping off trains and buildings to prove himself, and finally facing his fears in a scientifically nonsensical simulation.
I really wasn't impressed with Four's narration — his voice was too dull and predictable, and it ruined the story.
I predict that he'll probably fall for a fellow Dauntless initiate in one of his future novella
Mariℓina
May 04, 2014 Mariℓina rated it it was amazing
This was all "Four" and i enjoyed it immensely! 4,5 Stars.
It's a great intro to a fascinating world..

I haven't read the other books yet, i only saw the movie and read the tie in companion at this point, but i can tell when something is good and interesting..
This is a short story but it's so full and whole, it makes you crave more and at the same time it's complete in its own way..

Tobias had a hard life because of his father Marcus. He abused him for a long time and now is finally the moment for
Mai- *♥Mrs. Merik Nihar♥ *

"My name is Four." I say. "Call me 'Stiff' again and you and I will have a problem."

My Reaction before reading this novella:

My reaction while reading:

Can you freaking believe it??!! Veronica granted Four fans greatest wish EVERYWHERE. It's like Christmas came so EARLY this year! Tobias Eaton is probably one of the most coveted, crushed-on, daydreamed-on male YA character today. His mysterious badass vibe made its first steamy appearance way back 2011 on Divergent. The first novella written i
Liz* Fashionably Late
Well...

Great opportunity to learn something new about Four. Unfortunately, there's not much. Just Four's badassessness. And even if that's no small thing, I really wished for an awesome revelation or something exciting to happen.

That said, it was so refreshing to meet again the Four I fell in love with in Divergent and not that weird teenager I found in Insurgent. It delivered, a nice reminded of who Tobias was and how he became my first book crush. He was tough, strong even when his father was
Cynn
Sep 09, 2013 Cynn rated it liked it

The only I want to say...

Aubrey
Sep 05, 2013 Aubrey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished-books
I just can't...okay?

I got it and I was all:

I love it so bad Veronica! I can't wait until December for the next one okay? It's just way to long from now... But anyway, back to my review of this amazingly awesome book.

Look Marcus you just need to stop beating your son okay? Like he is the best thing that has ever happened to the world. I was just like this, when I heard Marcus's name in "The Transfer."

Marcus has some serious problems to do that to Four. SERIOUS PROBLEMS.

Then I was just reading
Denisse
Jul 31, 2015 Denisse rated it it was ok
It doesn't tell anything new. What a waste of time.

Esta historia no te cuenta nada que no sepamos ya, solo es para sacar dinero y estoy segura de que las demás serán iguales.

LO QUE ME GUSTO: pues ver desde su perspectiva el miedo que tenia a su padre.
LO QUE NO ME GUSTO: que eligiera Dauntless solo porque sabria que seria mas vergonzoso para Marcus, literal ese es su ultimo pensamiento antes de elegir esa facción. Yo creía que la eligiria para saber defenderse o algo así, incluso la excusa estúp
Ariana
Sep 11, 2013 Ariana rated it really liked it
Shelves: shorty
It's a fact that Four is my favorite character in the series and reading a bit about his past makes me understand him more.

It is not that we find something new, not at all, but it's his voice with his insecurities and hopes and fears. You see two sides of him - the boy he was and the transfer he is now, one that can decide who he wants to be, how the others will see him, accept him, respect him.. and why not, fear him.

"My name is Four." I say. "Call me 'Stiff' again and you and I will have a pr
Sh3lly
Sep 15, 2015 Sh3lly rated it really liked it
I just read this tonight and it reminded me fondly of the good old days before (in my view) Veronica Roth messed everything up in Allegiant. I love Four -

And his "origins" story was nice to read. The only thing I can say is that Veronica Roth still doesn't do well with distinguishing POVs; Four still sounds about the same as if we were hearing from Tris.

Four is just great, though.

Norah Sumner
“You’re the one who has to live with your choice,” she says. “Everyone else will get over it, move on, no matter what you decide. But you never will.”

I'm apparently in a mood for short stories this week.This is Four's story and it's quite interesting.This is Four that we meet and fell in love with in Divergent-wreck,but a badass wreck.But we don't really learn anything new...Marcus is a seriously messed up person,I would actually like to know more about him and his relationship with Four,did h
Marla Mei
I don't know about you guys but this novella is four-fect!

See what I did there?

PERFECT

Four stars for this Four four-fection <4

Okay. This is too much. I'm out.
Cass -  Words on Paper
Jun 18, 2013 Cass - Words on Paper marked it as top-wishlist
Shelves: e-betweenellas
I predict that HarperCollins will eventually produce a bindup edition of all of these short stories.

*They did it for the Delirium trilogy.*

~

(Thanks Tez!)

Four: A Divergent Story Collection
February 11, 2014 | 978-0062285683
Amy Jackson
Oct 11, 2014 Amy Jackson rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
UPDATE (9/5): So, thanks to a friend on Goodreads, as well as the Divergentfans website and of course, who can forget Veronica Roth who made it all possible, I read this! It was amazing and I loved how we saw how Tobias became Four. I actually thought that it could've been longer, just because I want to read more of the Divergent world, but this was great!

UPDATE (9/3): It's out today!! OMG, I can't wait to read this. :D

This cover is awesome! OMG, I can't wait for more Four!!! I think this is goi
Mary
Sep 09, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
"My name is Four. Call me 'Stiff' again and you and I will have a problem."

I can't even express how much I miss this world and especially one of my top book boyfriends, Four. It surely was a treat to get inside his head once again after I got a taste of it in Free Four. This story basically narrates how he came about to choosing to transfer to Dauntless to escape his life with his father in Abnegation.

What I loved most about this super mini novella is how it made Tobias/Four look more human (
Stepheny(Annie Wilkes)
Mar 24, 2014 Stepheny(Annie Wilkes) rated it really liked it
Yes, I am one of the Divergent fangirls. Yes, I love every word of every page of every book or story Veronica Roth writes for this series. Yes, I love that she continues writing short stories from Four's perspective because deep down inside me there is a 13 year old girl that I haven't let go of that is dyyyyying for more.

There, I said it. Can we all move on now?

This is just a nice little story about Four's transfer from Abnegation to Dauntless and how he came to be known as Four. No it wasn't
M.J. Capulet
Sep 04, 2013 M.J. Capulet rated it it was amazing
Before he became Dauntless, he was part of Abnegation.

Before he fell in love with Tris, he only had himself and his father.

Before he became known as Four, he was Tobias Eaton.

"The Transfer", one of Veronica Roth's series of short stories told from Four's point of view, revolves around the story of Marcus Eaton's only son, Tobias Eaton. Here we catch a glimpse of Four's old life before Tris and Dauntless—his vulnerabilities, his deepest, darkest secrets and the four fears that has defined him
Nayira
Aug 01, 2014 Nayira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*-*-*-* Update July '14 *-*-*-*

I re-read The Transfer this year, in order to catch up with the rest of the short stories that came out, and I loved it again.
I honestly don't want the FOUR stories EVER to stop!

----------------------------------------------------

I felt fear again. Simulations are so real and well explained you really fell them. Intense!

3 things:
1. Four's dad is truly a monster, no doubt about it, this man is despicable.
2. Never thought how awesome Tori is, like her now even more.
karly
May 01, 2014 karly rated it it was amazing
This novella is so emotionally powerful because we get to see a glimpse of Four's story. I don't wanna share any more info but from the title itself, it is Four's transfer story and it's just so beautiful and heart-breaking to see him and oh Four..

Adam J E L
Aug 26, 2014 Adam J E L rated it it was amazing
Four: The Transfer
5 Stars - Four's feelings brought out for the reader to feel, as Four makes the most important choice of his life.

I think this was the strongest of the short stories after the Divergent series, as it answers some questions brought up multiple times in the book, that being Four's transfer story.

It reviews the choosing ceremony from Four's view and really sheds light on the character he needed to become for Divergent to work as a series.

As Veronica puts it in her forward, origin
Saul
Jun 07, 2014 Saul rated it it was amazing
WRITTEN FOR FACTIONHUB.NET, A DIVERGENT FANSITE.

I only just barely finished reading The Transfer not even two minutes ago. My immediate reaction? Wow. I honestly didn't expect to like it so much.

I think, without spoiling the plot, the thing that makes this short story so great is the insight we get into Four's character. Particularly the transformation that one must face when choosing a new faction.

We get this a lot in Divergent. We see how Beatrice Prior becomes the hard punching Tris that we
Julie

There was no question in my mind when considering whether to buy this which is a testament to my faith in Veronica Roth because I don't usually buy eBooks, rather waiting for a physical copy to come along or get a free version so I can see whether it is worth getting a physical copy. IT WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY and deserving of my 4 star rating (not five just because it's too short and I just wanted it to continue
Vy
Jun 22, 2014 Vy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
When we first meet Tobias in Divergent, he seems very intimidating and stern-a force to be reckoned with. No one dares to look at him the wrong way, or even gets too close to him. He seemed closed off-off limits, but of course as Tris starts to break down those walls, we get to see just how scared and lonely of a person he truly is.

This short story takes us back in time to Tobias' life prior to the Choosing Ceremony, and into this first day of Dauntless initiation. Sixteen year old Tobias, was a
Around the Year i...: The Transfer, by Veronica Roth 2 7 Jan 29, 2016 12:50PM
The Smell of a Book: The Transfer :: Veronica Roth :: December Series 2015 1 1 Jan 04, 2016 09:07AM
Spoilers: Afterwa...: Four: The Transfer 1 2 Jun 23, 2015 04:45PM
Fabulous 4 Life : The Transfer 4 6 Nov 25, 2014 07:51PM
Cant wait 8 107 Jan 02, 2014 06:30AM
Divergent Series ...: The Transfer 6 59 Sep 29, 2013 08:57PM
  • Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • Raven (Delirium, #2.5)
  • Life Before Legend: Stories of the Criminal and the Prodigy (Legend, #0.5)
  • Phoenix Overture (Newsoul, #2.5)
  • Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
  • Free Four: The Full Story
  • The First Star to Fall (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1.5)
  • Foundation (Razorland, #0.5)
  • The King's Guard (Fire and Thorns, #0.7)
  • As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #2.5)
  • In Time (The Darkest Minds, #1.5)
  • The First Kiss (The Iron Fey, #1.25)
  • The Midnight Heir (The Bane Chronicles, #4)
  • The Meeting (Vampire Academy, #1.1)
  • The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass, #0.5)
  • Night of Cake & Puppets (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5)
  • The Witch of Duva (The Grisha, #0.5)
Veronica Roth is from a Chicago suburb. She studied creative writing at Northwestern University, and wrote DIVERGENT (Katherine Tegen Books, May 2011) and INSURGENT (May 2012). The third and final book in The Divergent Trilogy, ALLEGIANT, will come out on October 22, 2013. In the meantime she will spend endless hours browsing Wikipedia in her pajamas as she eats corn flakes. (Or some other kind of ...more
More about Veronica Roth...

Divergent (3 books)
  • Divergent (Divergent, #1)
  • Insurgent (Divergent, #2)
  • Allegiant (Divergent, #3)

“My name is Four,” I say. “Call me ‘Stiff’ again and you and I will have a problem.” 324 likes
“You're the one who has to live with your choice, everyone else will get over it, move on, no matter what you decide. But you never will” 172 likes