Start by marking “Love Ain't Nothing But Sex Misspelled” as Want to Read:
Love Ain't Nothing But Sex Misspelled

Love Ain't Nothing But Sex Misspelled

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  347 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Love has ten thousand names and a million different faces. History will surely agree that America's most destructive contribution to 20th century living has been that damaged product called plastic romance. It twists and savages us. After a lifetime of lies about what love is supposed to be, are you finally angry and depressed enough to be part of a "recall" on that shabby ...more
Published November 1st 1982 by Ace Books (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Love Ain't Nothing But Sex Misspelled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Ain't Nothing But Sex Misspelled

Sex at Dawn by Christopher  RyanJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareThe Art of Love by Ovid
Books on Love
148th out of 185 books — 94 voters
Twisted by Lola SmirnovaBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyCatch-22 by Joseph Heller1984 by George OrwellThe Albino Album by Chavisa Woods
Books That Rage Against Society
25th out of 25 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

Collette
This is my first book from this author and I'll start by saying I'll definitely read his books again. He has been around for many years but has a refreshing voice if you like sharp wit and a cynical but accurate view of love. I'm a skimmer most of the time in the books I read but every once in awhile I find an author that strings their words together in a way that makes me pause in my reading frenzy and slow down to read every word. Ellison did that for me.
These were 16 short stories about diff
Kyle Hajek
Any idea that this book would be as cynical as the title was dispelled by the intro. It's a series of sometimes funny, sometimes touching, sometimes horrifying stories about love, and I highly recommend it.
Craig Childs
LOVE AIN'T NOTHING BUT SEX MISSPELLED was a poor collection, in my opinion. Most of the stories struck me as the work of a very young author trying too hard to Say Something Important, rather than tell a good story.

Some stories were too preachy ("The Universe of Robert Blake"), some were too melodramatic ("Neither Your Jenny Nor Mine"), and some started strong but just petered out ("What I Did On My Vacation...")

There were a few bright spots, though. The Introduction was both laugh-out-loud fun
Fred
I can't say how impressed I am by Harlan Ellison and I can't believe that no one has ever recommended him to me before! Shame on you if you have read his books and don't recommend him to everyone! This is a book of short stories about Love, Lust, and Sin. Not all about romantic type love either, one of the stories is about the love that a soldier has for his brothers in arms. Another is about a writer with a broken heart, and another is about a convicted rapist, etc. Ellison likes to push the li ...more
Sean
Been forever since I read Ellison's fiction. About like I remembered. His strength is his weakness: he's so opinionated and full of how great he is that he's never able to get out of his own way. He IS a helluva writer, but he's unable to stop reminding you of that fact. It's distracting. For his nonfiction, this works great. For short stories, less so. Some good ones in here, and some not so good ones.
Erik Graff
Feb 24, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ellison fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I heard about Harlan Ellison before I ever knowingly read his work. He was often cited, often critically, as the dean--or bad boy--of science fiction fandom in the SF books and magazines I read during childhood. The first piece I read knowingly by him was "'Repent, Harlequin!' Said the Ticktockman" (1965) as contained in a collection surreptiously absorbed while in attendance at Lincoln Junior High School in Park Ridge, Illinois. I liked it, it was different, a little crazy. Ever since I have ma ...more
James Specht
A little spotty for a short story collection. It has some brilliantly written moments in it which actually works against the book when the bulk of mediocre stories pads out. There are also a glut of author stand ins AKA "The guy (or martyr) in the room who is smarter and funnier than everyone else" which gets kind of annoying after a while. I know I'm complaining but there are some real bright spots here and there when Ellison tries to write with honesty as opposed to just trying to be clever.
David Allen
Mainstream fiction, and a couple of essays, with no SF at all, this might be my favorite Ellison book, with every piece about love or duty (although he fudges a little). The centerpiece is "The Resurgence of Miss Ankle-Strap Wedgie," a 90-page Hollywood novella that's equal parts "Sunset Blvd" and "Day of the Locust," so good it deserves resurrection as a short novel.
Roderic
Read this in middle school and got in trouble for bringing it to school. I don't think my parents really cared. It was theirs anyway.

I initially read it for the sex parts, but the stories were really compelling. Going to re-read soon.
Ron
A number of his classic stories are recapitulated here, and it does contain the remarkable Lonelyache, but this has a higher quotient of dreck than many of his collections.
bluetyson
Love ain't Nothing But Sex Misspelled by Harlan Ellison (1976)
Valerie
Jul 11, 2008 Valerie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Valerie by: Jeff
Shelves: short-stories
The title says exactly what I learned from this book.
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Pnpnpn
Pnpnpn added it
Aug 11, 2015
Émilie Deschamps
Émilie Deschamps marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Bf Chair
Bf Chair marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Corvus
Corvus added it
Jun 21, 2015
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Eduardo
Eduardo marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
  • Atlantis: Three Tales
  • Starwater Strains
  • The Baum Plan for Financial Independence and Other Stories
  • The Locus Awards: Thirty Years of the Best in Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • The Best Military Science Fiction of the 20th Century
  • The Golden Helix
  • The Berserker Wars (Berserker)
  • Yours Truly, Jack The Ripper
  • Rx for Chaos
  • Bug Jack Barron
  • Tales of Old Earth
  • Year's Best SF 8
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Sixth Annual Collection
  • The Apex Book of World SF 2
  • The Science Fiction Megapack: 25 Classic Science Fiction Stories
  • The Prince in Waiting (The Sword of the Spirits, #1)
  • Dark Tomorrows
  • Raygun Chronicles: Space Opera For a New Age
Harlan Jay Ellison is a prolific American writer of short stories, novellas, teleplays, essays, and criticism.

His literary and television work has received many awards. He wrote for the original series of both The Outer Limits and Star Trek as well as The Alfred Hitchcock Hour; edited the multiple-award-winning short story anthology series Dangerous Visions; and served as creative consultant/write
More about Harlan Ellison...
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream Dangerous Visions Again, Dangerous Visions Deathbird Stories "Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman

“Love ain't nothing but sex misspelled.” 4 likes