Start by marking “Me and Earl and the Dying Girl” as Want to Read:
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  48,071 ratings  ·  7,129 reviews
Greg Gaines is the last master of high school espionage, able to disappear at will into any social environment. He has only one friend, Earl, and together they spend their time making movies, their own incomprehensible versions of Coppola and Herzog cult classics.

Until Greg’s mother forces him to rekindle his childhood friendship with Rachel.

Rachel has been diagnosed with
Published March 1st 2012 by Amulet Books

To ask other readers questions about Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, please sign up.

Momo In my opinion, people like it because TFIOS made dying children the new 'It' things. I personally, did not like the book one bit.

Jesse Andrews
Dec 23, 2011 Jesse Andrews rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
this is probably the best debut novel i have ever written.
Emily May

I know this is an awful thing to say, but I am so tired of all the "illness romance" books we've seen since The Fault in Our Stars. They're so hung up on leaving the reader with a beautiful message about life and/or death, so intent on making you cry and showing how a person can gain a new outlook or fall in love from being close to someone with a terminal illness.

In real life, very few people are luc
Kat O'Keeffe
This book was HILARIOUS. I was cracking up laughing literally every other page or so. I loved the characters, I loved the unique formatting (there were lists and screenplay excerpts and the way the main character addressed the reader--it was very different, and very cool) and again, I LOVED the humor! I didn't feel like the plot/story arc was super strong, but honestly this book was so freaking funny and entertaining, I didn't really mind.

And I am so pumped for the movie! I can't wait to see how
Raeleen Lemay
re-read (again) in June 2015

Awesome sauce. Teared up when shit got real and Earl told Greg what's what (as always). This movie is going to slay me.

upon reading for the first time

Oh my goodness... What did I just read?

I finally have a gif to describe my feels...

Here it is, folks:
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Overall a great read. Jesse Andrews needs to release more books!
My full review can be found here:
Kat Stark

This book was the best thing since pizza was invented.

Everybody has little adorable gifs of themselves freaking out over this book. I’ll tell you what, I loved the crap out of this book. And by crap I mean the fucking cute as hell Pooh this book shitted out.

How’s that for a fucking gif?

The thing about Greg is that he speaks to you in the second person. This whole book is a compilation of conversations, short stories, and all-ensuing hilarity based on awkward and disgusting humor. That’s what mad
Umm… I don't know exactly what to say about this book. It seems to me like one of those cult books where if you love it, you love it, but if you don't, you don't. There were parts of it that were funny, but the majority of the parts that I felt were meant to be funny just fell flat. The cover is absolutely beautiful and there were some parts that I definitely enjoyed… but, it just didn't do it for me.

This book is about Greg and Earl and Rachel. Greg is a high school senior and he and Earl are a
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
For this review I need to post a gif of Jesse Andrews kicking John Green's ass.

* I don't know how to make gifs myself. I just steal them from other spots on Google.
* I'm too lazy to even try and learn to make my own gifs.
* I don't especially hate John Green (take that you haters) I read TFIOS and it was an okay book. Not very realistic to someone who has survived lived with teenagers.

This book is about Greg Gaines. He just wants to make it through his last year of high-school. He knows not
Whitney Atkinson
a lot of people are commenting on this so i just wanted to add really quick lol

i read this book like 2 years ago but i was going through my 'read' list and noticed i gave this four stars which was weird because this book was shit so that's that
This is me during, hmm, let's see, 90% of this book:

I kid you not. This book made me laugh my ASS OFF. I have never in my whole life laughed this much while reading a book. Jesse Andrews, for this alone, YOU ARE AWESOME.

M&E&tDG is one of the weirdest books I've ever read. Nothing much really happens--in terms of both plot or character development--and despite that, driven alone by the MC, Greg's, humorous voice, the book ends up being an awesome read.

Just to lay out how hilarious Greg's
Aj the Ravenous Reader

Even though at the end of each chapter (and there are 40 chapters, plus an author's note and an epilogue), the narrator keeps nagging at the reader about how stupid this book is and how the reader will not learn anything, I on the contrary have an endless list to negate such claim.

All of these things and more are what I learned from the book:

1. If the author through his main character keeps warning you to stop reading his "stupid book", by all means read it. Even if he tells you that you might
Steph Sinclair
Oct 29, 2014 Steph Sinclair rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who think they can't read or enjoy "cancer books"
Recommended to Steph by: Raeleen Lemay
This is the book I wish received more attention than The Fault in Our Stars. Unlike the aforementioned novel, it doesn't glamorize a terminal illness and try in any way to make light of the situation. In case that offends anyone, keep in mind that I did enjoy TFIOS, but I just think Me, Earl and the Dying Girl had a more powerful message.

This isn't going to be a book for everyone. The protagonist is an anti-hero who will anger the reader and make you wish he were a real person just so you could
This was a pretty freaking great book. I really enjoyed it and laughed out loud at a lot of parts. It's not your typical YA - or typical cancer story for that matter - and that's what I loved about it. READ IT.
Teresa Bunner
I can appreciate snarky. And snarky certainly describes our narrator. The problem is, I can appreciate snarky when I like the character. I never grew to like Greg. And because I didn't like him or the story line, things like the excessive cussing in the book really bothered me. Had I liked or felt drawn to the characters, I could forgive that flaw. Heaven knows I can speak in language that would make my mother cringe and a sailor seem tame.

I was so excited to find a book with an African American
I didn't like one single part of this book.

The humor was absolutely atrocious to me. I've heard people were constantly laughing throughout this book but my sense of humor is the exact opposite of this. I didn't crack a smile, if anything, I emitted loud sighs amid an almost constant stream of guffaws at the audacity of the book. The characters were either a) completely annoying or b) flat and therefore forgettable. Greg's narrating got on my nerves after about approximately five pages. His
This was funny and realistic and I kinda don't really know how to feel about it
An exchange.

“I think I’m gonna go and read my book.”
“Oh? Which book is it?”
“Just this hilarious book about cancer.”

And you should’ve seen the glare I received.

You see that is the problem I fear I’m going to have with this book. I want to run around wildly and throw this book at people and yell “READ IT!” and they’ll be like “Woah, Jo, what’s it about?! Tell me everything!”
“Is it, is it really?”
Feb 21, 2012 Tatiana rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tatiana by: Kirkus
Shelves: ya, ala-ya-2013, 2012
As seen on The Readventurer

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl was my second "cancer book" in as many months. Although both Jesse Andrews and John Green had the same intention - to write a story about cancer that was different from those other tearjerky novels, in my eyes, Andrews was much more successful at stepping away from melodrama and cliches of the genre than Green. Of course, Andrews does not (yet) have a publicity platform of Green's magnitude to promote his novel, so I am glad to be able to
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl is a very strange book indeed. I’m sure some of you read the blurb and thought: Not another cancer book! Really, are books about teens with cancer the new black?! Yeah, I thought so too. It turns out that this book has very little to do with cancer. It has more to do with several other, completely unrelated things like filmmaking, high school social structure, odd friendships and nagging parents. It’s certainly not a sob story. The only tears I’d shed whil
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at:

EDIT: I NEVER change my rating, but this one deserves all 5 and I don't know what assholery I was up to when I first reviewed it and knocked it down half a star. Also, THIS ( was a thing a couple of weeks ago and Jesse Andrews already did it for realsies with Earl. Also #2, I used to write non-giffified reviews. How lame.

Greg has managed to make it to his senior year by being an acquaintance to
I enjoyed this book and thought it was really funny at times, but overall, it was kind of disappointing. I guess it was just a lot of hype, but I think it'll make a pretty good movie, and I'm really excited to see it when it comes out :)
Sarah Churchill
Such an unusual approach to this kind of story; a guy's reluctant friendship with a girl who's suffering with Leukemia, and while it should be a coming of age with some heartwarming scenes I spent most of the novel thinking he's a gigantic dick. And that just made it feel more real and understandable. That might seem like a strange sentence until you read the book.
I need some time to get my feels back together
Natalie Monroe

Nice Natalie: I don't even know why we're here. This book is pure snark. We love snark!

Cynical Natalie: Not if the characters are assholes. Greg is like the worse version of that kid from Diary of a Wimpy Kid. He's selfish, inconsiderate, and an all-around jerk.

Nice Natalie: What do you expect, he's a teenage boy. That's what makes him real.

Cynical Natalie: Just because he's a teenage boy doesn't give him liberty to be a douche. He treats Rachel like a burden, which I grudgingly acce
Alienor ✘ French frowner ✘
Edit 06/18 : The movie looks fantastic! Me want. Trailer

Impromptu reread because what's better than starting vacations laughing?

This is it. Second time I read it and my opinion didn't change. Yes this is immature at times but what did you expect? The teenagers here feel real. Don't wait for the big revelations, for the meaningful things these kids have to say, you'd be disappointed. Don't wait for The Great Romance, either. That's just LIFE and I adored it for its honesty.

“It's like when a k
THIS IS SUCH A LIZ BOOK. What does that mean? It's not your usual. It's a good mix of stream-of-thought, self-awareness, ridiculousness (alien barf), and more. I actually saw a pre-screening of the film a few months ago before I read the book, so it was neat to see how they compare -- both are equally amaze. The funny thing about that is that in the Epilogue of the book, he's like, "Please don't make this a movie!" and hilariously enough, here we are. Haha! Also, that cast is perfect for the cha ...more
aw man. i'm really bummed about not COMPLETELY LOVING this book since i've heard so much praise for it.
it was just okay for me. some of the time, the jokes landed and i'd be smiling while reading, but more often than not, the jokes didn't land. greg is very-much-super-aware of his own stupidity as he likes to remind you every other line, but that didn't really help much. (yikes that sounds mean i'm sorry)
it's a creatively written book, which is something i can very much appreciate. jesse andrew
helen the bookowl
This was a reread for me and I had completely forgotten how HILARIOUS this book is! Even though it deals with a very serious topic, it doesn't read like a very serious book. The tone of voice cracks you up and it is spot on from beginning to end. I also really like how this book is structured and how the story is told.
Like many other people, I'm very interested to see the movie. Hopefully, they'll be able to transfer the humour of the book to the motion picture because in my eyes, it's the humo
Krista Wright
1.5 stars. What did I just read and WHY is this so popular? Why is there a movie? I am literally at a loss for words. This was not interesting or funny. The only saving grace was Earl and like maybe three sort-of funny scenes in the book.
Cait Grace
I'm so unbelievably torn right now. GAH. On one hand: this book made me laugh like nothing else. I can't even count the amount of times I literally laughed out loud. YES. OUT LOUD, PEOPLES! That is a strange phenomenon for this Vulcan. But, on the other hand: I have no idea what the point of this book is, and I hate dirty humour. It doesn't do anything for me. And as the book progressed, the humour just got scungier and I ended up actually disliking the narrator, Greg, a fair bit.

I basically re
  • Everybody Sees the Ants
  • Dr. Bird's Advice for Sad Poets
  • Crash and Burn
  • Winger (Winger, #1)
  • Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip
  • Moonbird: A Year on the Wind with the Great Survivor B95
  • Stupid Fast (Stupid Fast, #1)
  • Zero
  • The White Bicycle
  • Beneath a Meth Moon
  • Pinned
  • Annie Sullivan and the Trials of Helen Keller
  • Dying to Know You
  • No Crystal Stair: A Documentary Novel of the Life and Work of Lewis Michaux, Harlem Bookseller
  • Where Things Come Back
  • A Really Awesome Mess
  • Living with Jackie Chan (Jumping Off Swings, #2)
  • My Book of Life by Angel

“If after reading this book you come to my home and brutally murder me, I do not blame you.” 265 likes
“When you convert a good book to a film. stupid things happen” 147 likes