Start by marking “Me and Earl and the Dying Girl” as Want to Read:
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  15,143 ratings  ·  2,652 reviews
Greg Gaines is the last master of high school espionage, able to disappear at will into any social environment. He has only one friend, Earl, and together they spend their time making movies, their own incomprehensible versions of Coppola and Herzog cult classics.

Until Greg’s mother forces him to rekindle his childhood friendship with Rachel.

Rachel has been diagnosed with
Published March 1st 2012 by Amulet Books

To ask other readers questions about Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, please sign up.

Notsopretty123 to me, it is how much I feel I can relate but it also is because it is an amazing read I didn't want to put it down. I read it whenever I had a chance…moreto me, it is how much I feel I can relate but it also is because it is an amazing read I didn't want to put it down. I read it whenever I had a chance even if it was just for a second.(less)
Nikki i don't feel that they are similar at all, but it is totally worth reading!!! i loved it!!
Fledgling by Mark A. CooperThe Recruit by Robert MuchamoreSilverFin by Charlie HigsonCross My Heart and Hope to Spy by Ally CarterRussian Roulette by Anthony Horowitz
Books Like Alex Rider
42nd out of 794 books — 483 voters
Insurgent by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareAfter Forever Ends by Melodie RamoneCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareCinder by Marissa Meyer
Top Ten Books I Want to Read
11th out of 268 books — 290 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat O'Keeffe
This book was HILARIOUS. I was cracking up laughing literally every other page or so. I loved the characters, I loved the unique formatting (there were lists and screenplay excerpts and the way the main character addressed the reader--it was very different, and very cool) and again, I LOVED the humor! I didn't feel like the plot/story arc was super strong, but honestly this book was so freaking funny and entertaining, I didn't really mind.

And I am so pumped for the movie! I can't wait to see how
Jesse Andrews
Dec 23, 2011 Jesse Andrews rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
this is probably the best debut novel i have ever written.
Raeleen Lemay
Oh my goodness... What did I just read?

I finally have a gif to describe my feels...

Here it is, folks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3e_2...
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Overall a great read. Jesse Andrews needs to release more books!
My full review can be found here:
Kat Stark

This book was the best thing since pizza was invented.

Everybody has little adorable gifs of themselves freaking out over this book. I’ll tell you what, I loved the crap out of this book. And by crap I mean the fucking cute as hell Pooh this book shitted out.

How’s that for a fucking gif?

The thing about Greg is that he speaks to you in the second person. This whole book is a compilation of conversations, short stories, and all-ensuing hilarity based on awkward and disgusting humor. That’s what mad
Emily May

I don't mean to sound so cold-hearted when I say this, but I normally hate "cancer books". Or illness and dying books in general. They're so hung up on leaving the reader with a beautiful message about life and/or death, so intent on making you cry and showing how a person can gain a new outlook on life from either having a terminal illness or being close to someone with a terminal illness. In real life, very few people are lucky enough to take something amazing away from an experience like thi
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
For this review I need to post a gif of Jesse Andrews kicking John Green's ass.

But:
* I don't know how to make gifs myself. I just steal them from other spots on Google.
* I'm too lazy to even try and learn to make my own gifs.
* I don't especially hate John Green (take that you haters) I read TFIOS and it was an okay book. Not very realistic to someone who has survived lived with teenagers.

This book is about Greg Gaines. He just wants to make it through his last year of high-school. He knows not
Aleeeeeza
This is me during, hmm, let's see, 90% of this book:

I kid you not. This book made me laugh my ASS OFF. I have never in my whole life laughed this much while reading a book. Jesse Andrews, for this alone, YOU ARE AWESOME.

M&E&tDG is one of the weirdest books I've ever read. Nothing much really happens--in terms of both plot or character development--and despite that, driven alone by the MC, Greg's, humorous voice, the book ends up being an awesome read.

Just to lay out how hilarious Greg's
Maureen
This was a pretty freaking great book. I really enjoyed it and laughed out loud at a lot of parts. It's not your typical YA - or typical cancer story for that matter - and that's what I loved about it. READ IT.
Jo
An exchange.

“I think I’m gonna go and read my book.”
“Oh? Which book is it?”
“Just this hilarious book about cancer.”

And you should’ve seen the glare I received.
Icyyyy.

You see that is the problem I fear I’m going to have with this book. I want to run around wildly and throw this book at people and yell “READ IT!” and they’ll be like “Woah, Jo, what’s it about?! Tell me everything!”
“IT’S AMAZING!!!!”
“Is it, is it really?”
“YES YES! WHY AREN’T YOU READING IT NOW?!”
“WHY ARE WE TALKING IN CAPITAL L
Emma
Umm… I don't know exactly what to say about this book. It seems to me like one of those cult books where if you love it, you love it, but if you don't, you don't. There were parts of it that were funny, but the majority of the parts that I felt were meant to be funny just fell flat. The cover is absolutely beautiful and there were some parts that I definitely enjoyed… but, it just didn't do it for me.

This book is about Greg and Earl and Rachel. Greg is a high school senior and he and Earl are a
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl is a very strange book indeed. I’m sure some of you read the blurb and thought: Not another cancer book! Really, are books about teens with cancer the new black?! Yeah, I thought so too. It turns out that this book has very little to do with cancer. It has more to do with several other, completely unrelated things like filmmaking, high school social structure, odd friendships and nagging parents. It’s certainly not a sob story. The only tears I’d shed whil
Tatiana
Feb 21, 2012 Tatiana rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tatiana by: Kirkus
Shelves: 2012, ya, ala-ya-2013
As seen on The Readventurer

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl was my second "cancer book" in as many months. Although both Jesse Andrews and John Green had the same intention - to write a story about cancer that was different from those other tearjerky novels, in my eyes, Andrews was much more successful at stepping away from melodrama and cliches of the genre than Green. Of course, Andrews does not (yet) have a publicity platform of Green's magnitude to promote his novel, so I am glad to be able to
April
This was funny and realistic and I kinda don't really know how to feel about it
Steph Sinclair
Oct 29, 2014 Steph Sinclair rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who think they can't read or enjoy "cancer books"
Recommended to Steph by: Raeleen Lemay
This is the book I wish received more attention than The Fault in Our Stars. Unlike the aforementioned novel, it doesn't glamorize a terminal illness and try in any way to make light of the situation. In case that offends anyone, keep in mind that I did enjoy TFIOS, but I just think Me, Earl and the Dying Girl had a more powerful message.

This isn't going to be a book for everyone. The protagonist is an anti-hero who will anger the reader and make you wish he were a real person just so you could
Alienor ☠ is stuck on the Jellicoe Road ☠
Impromptu reread because what's better than starting vacations laughing?

This is it. Second time I read it and my opinion didn't change. Yes this is immature at times but what did you expect? The teenagers here feel real. Don't wait for the big revelations, for the meaningful things these kids have to say, you'd be disappointed. Don't wait for The Great Romance, either. That's just LIFE and I adored it for its honesty.

“It's like when a kitten tries to bite something to death. The kitten clearl
Pinky
I finished this book in a flash! It was a quick read and a very sweet story! It is about three friends named Greg, Earl and Rachel. Greg and Rachel were friends 6 years before the present day of the book. But they stopped hanging out. Greg finds out that Rachel is diagnosed with leukemia. So Greg's mom encouraged Greg to talk to Rachel and keep her happy. Since Greg is the only one that cane make Rachel laugh because he has a great sense of humor! On the other hand, Earl is the only friend that ...more
Flannery
Okay, if I would've known that this book was set in Pittsburgh, I would've read it on release day. As it turns out, while this author was in high school, presumably being hilarious, I was just down the street, playing badminton in my Catholic school uniform during free period. I had to investigate a bit further, so I checked my facebook and found that my friend Jake (who now has a luscious ponytail and who I once learned to waltz with) is facebook friends with Jesse Andrews. (like that even mean ...more
Maxwell
I'm really glad I finally read this. I appreciated how this story was not a love story or romantic in any way (and Greg, the narrator, makes that very clear). It's a story about friendship and grief and different things people are passionate about. I'm really glad that this is being made into a movie because I think it will be hilarious and heartwarming but mostly hilarious.
B u n n y ♥  | BooksWithBunny
*4.5 stars*

I LOVED THIS FROM PAGE 1 OH MY GOD. More people should read this book.
Some day I will write an appropriate review.
Joel
I need some time to get my feels back together
Jasprit
Sometimes the best books you read end up being the ones that you stumble across by accident, Me and Earl and the dying girl was one of those books. I hadn’t even heard about it until my friend Maja started reading it (Maja certainly knows what she’s talking about when it comes to great books) so I checked out the blurb and requested a copy. I’m so glad that I was accepted as Me and Earl and the dying girl was the funniest book I have read in a long time. It bought a smile to my face in just the ...more
Maggie
Apr 17, 2012 Maggie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Maggie by: Jo
If I had to describe Me and Earl and the Dying Girl in 22 words, they would be: Adaptation meets the teen version of Larry and Leon from Curb Your Enthusiasm with a dash of Troy and Abed from Community. Basically, I loved the hell out of this book. Jo, the girl with the old coat and saucy new dress, promised me a snort-laugh. I snort-laughed. In fact, I went through the book in one snort-filled sitting, which I haven't done in a while.

The premise... actually, forget about the premise. Just read
Zia
Absolutely Hilarious.
Teresa Bunner
I can appreciate snarky. And snarky certainly describes our narrator. The problem is, I can appreciate snarky when I like the character. I never grew to like Greg. And because I didn't like him or the story line, things like the excessive cussing in the book really bothered me. Had I liked or felt drawn to the characters, I could forgive that flaw. Heaven knows I can speak in language that would make my mother cringe and a sailor seem tame.

I was so excited to find a book with an African American
RandomAnthony
Okay, I'm going to review two books at once. There may be a way to do so on GR but I'm unaware. Here we go.

The other book's review can be found here:

The two books are Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews and The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I'm reviewing them together because they're both, for lack of a better phrase, YA cancer books.

HOW I CAME TO READ TWO YA CANCER BOOKS IN A ROW

I know no one with cancer, so this choice wasn't personal. O
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

4.5 Stars

Greg has managed to make it to his senior year by being an acquaintance to all and a friend to none one. When you’re a rodent-faced, chubby kid growing up in a not-so-great area and attend a high school of cliques that run the gamut of nerd to criminal, it’s probably best to just blend in so you never get singled out. His only friend has always been Earl – a foul-mouthed, chain-smoking, vertically challenged, roundhouse-kickin
Angela
I kept hearing people compare this book to TFIOS and I'm sorry but I have to disagree... Like just because two books surround a come theme/idea doesn't automatically mean we need to compare the two. They are both so different. I know a lot of people say TFIOS is a more "glamorized" version of how cancer actually is... This might be true but it still is amazing. MEATDG is on a different level than TFIOS.

This book is comical. I both really enjoyed it and really didnt. I was expecting to get more
Stephanie
Before I committed to reading this book (as an e-galley from Netgalley), I went up and down about whether it was really a good idea to try it so soon after reading John Green's THE FAULT IN OUR STARS. Did I really need to read another YA novel involving terminal cancer so soon? Wouldn't that just make me feel really depressed? And what if it felt disappointing by contrast to TFioS?

I am SO glad I read it after all. Not only did it not feel disappointing, it was just an entirely different kind of
Neil(ed) it!
This book is fucking insane oh my god I love it! Not just your typical cancer book. A very weird book with a very unique way of narrating and telling a very jackass awesome story of Greg, Earl and the Dying Girl. It all felt real to me. It was honest. It didn't bring me up to tears but it surely entertained and touched me and made me realize of some things that are worth realizing. A must read.
  • Dying to Know You
  • Gabi, a Girl in Pieces
  • Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip
  • The White Bicycle
  • Wonder Show
  • Vivian Apple at the End of the World (Vivian Apple, #1)
  • The Girls of No Return
  • OCD, the Dude, and Me
  • Where Things Come Back
  •  Out of Nowhere
  • Friday Brown
  • Catch & Release
  • Boy21

“If after reading this book you come to my home and brutally murder me, I do not blame you.” 205 likes
“It's like when a kitten tries to bite something to death. The kitten clearly has the cold-blooded murderous instinct of a predator, but at the same time, it's this cute little kitten, and all you want to do is stuff it in a shoebox and shoot a video of it for grandmas to watch on YouTube.” 84 likes