Start by marking “Me and Earl and the Dying Girl” as Want to Read:
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  67,146 Ratings  ·  9,052 Reviews
Greg Gaines is the last master of high school espionage, able to disappear at will into any social environment. He has only one friend, Earl, and together they spend their time making movies, their own incomprehensible versions of Coppola and Herzog cult classics.

Until Greg’s mother forces him to rekindle his childhood friendship with Rachel.

Rachel has been diagnosed with
Published March 1st 2012 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, please sign up.

Momo In my opinion, people like it because TFIOS made dying children the new 'It' things. I personally, did not like the book one bit.
Insurgent by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareCinder by Marissa MeyerCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareAfter Forever Ends by Melodie Ramone
Top Ten Books I Want to Read
9th out of 309 books — 329 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsLooking for Alaska by John GreenThirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Best Young Adult Realistic Novels
134th out of 1,742 books — 10,339 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Jul 29, 2015 Emily May rated it really liked it

I know this is an awful thing to say, but I am so tired of all the "illness romance" books we've seen since The Fault in Our Stars. They're so hung up on leaving the reader with a beautiful message about life and/or death, so intent on making you cry and showing how a person can gain a new outlook or fall in love from being close to someone with a terminal illness.

In real life, very few people are luc
Jesse Andrews
Dec 23, 2011 Jesse Andrews rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
this is probably the best debut novel i have ever written.
Kat O'Keeffe
Apr 17, 2015 Kat O'Keeffe rated it really liked it
This book was HILARIOUS. I was cracking up laughing literally every other page or so. I loved the characters, I loved the unique formatting (there were lists and screenplay excerpts and the way the main character addressed the reader--it was very different, and very cool) and again, I LOVED the humor! I didn't feel like the plot/story arc was super strong, but honestly this book was so freaking funny and entertaining, I didn't really mind.

And I am so pumped for the movie! I can't wait to see how
Raeleen Lemay
Oct 27, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, own
re-read (again) in June 2015

Awesome sauce. Teared up when shit got real and Earl told Greg what's what (as always). This movie is going to slay me.

upon reading for the first time

Oh my goodness... What did I just read?

I finally have a gif to describe my feels...

Here it is, folks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3e_2...
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Oct 14, 2012 Jesse (JesseTheReader) rated it really liked it
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Overall a great read. Jesse Andrews needs to release more books!
My full review can be found here:
Emma
Umm… I don't know exactly what to say about this book. It seems to me like one of those cult books where if you love it, you love it, but if you don't, you don't. There were parts of it that were funny, but the majority of the parts that I felt were meant to be funny just fell flat. The cover is absolutely beautiful and there were some parts that I definitely enjoyed… but, it just didn't do it for me.

This book is about Greg and Earl and Rachel. Greg is a high school senior and he and Earl are a
Kat Stark
Feb 29, 2016 Kat Stark rated it it was amazing

This book was the best thing since pizza was invented.

Everybody has little adorable gifs of themselves freaking out over this book. I’ll tell you what, I loved the crap out of this book. And by crap I mean the fucking cute as hell Pooh this book shitted out.

How’s that for a fucking gif?

The thing about Greg is that he speaks to you in the second person. This whole book is a compilation of conversations, short stories, and all-ensuing hilarity based on awkward and disgusting humor. That’s what mad
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
For this review I need to post a gif of Jesse Andrews kicking John Green's ass.

But:
* I don't know how to make gifs myself. I just steal them from other spots on Google.
* I'm too lazy to even try and learn to make my own gifs.
* I don't especially hate John Green (take that you haters) I read TFIOS and it was an okay book. Not very realistic to someone who has survived lived with teenagers.

This book is about Greg Gaines. He just wants to make it through his last year of high-school. He knows not
Whitney Atkinson
Sep 17, 2015 Whitney Atkinson rated it it was ok
a lot of people are commenting on this so i just wanted to add really quick lol

i read this book like 2 years ago but i was going through my 'read' list and noticed i gave this four stars which was weird because this book was shit so that's that
Caitlyn
Jun 15, 2015 Caitlyn rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya-reads, hahaha-why
Uhm.
I didn't like one single part of this book.

The humor was absolutely atrocious to me. I've heard people were constantly laughing throughout this book but my sense of humor is the exact opposite of this. I didn't crack a smile, if anything, I emitted loud sighs amid an almost constant stream of guffaws at the audacity of the book. The characters were either a) completely annoying or b) flat and therefore forgettable. Greg's narrating got on my nerves after about approximately five pages. His
Aleeeeeza
This is me during, hmm, let's see, 90% of this book:

I kid you not. This book made me laugh my ASS OFF. I have never in my whole life laughed this much while reading a book. Jesse Andrews, for this alone, YOU ARE AWESOME.

M&E&tDG is one of the weirdest books I've ever read. Nothing much really happens--in terms of both plot or character development--and despite that, driven alone by the MC, Greg's, humorous voice, the book ends up being an awesome read.

Just to lay out how hilarious Greg's
Steph Sinclair
Oct 29, 2014 Steph Sinclair rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who think they can't read or enjoy "cancer books"
Recommended to Steph by: Raeleen Lemay
This is the book I wish received more attention than The Fault in Our Stars. Unlike the aforementioned novel, it doesn't glamorize a terminal illness and try in any way to make light of the situation. In case that offends anyone, keep in mind that I did enjoy TFIOS, but I just think Me, Earl and the Dying Girl had a more powerful message.

This isn't going to be a book for everyone. The protagonist is an anti-hero who will anger the reader and make you wish he were a real person just so you could
Aj the Ravenous Reader

Even though at the end of each chapter (and there are 40 chapters, plus an author's note and an epilogue), the narrator keeps nagging at the reader about how stupid this book is and how the reader will not learn anything, I on the contrary have an endless list to negate such claim.

All of these things and more are what I learned from the book:

1. If the author through his main character keeps warning you to stop reading his "stupid book", by all means read it. Even if he tells you that you might
Teresa Bunner
Jun 24, 2012 Teresa Bunner rated it did not like it
I can appreciate snarky. And snarky certainly describes our narrator. The problem is, I can appreciate snarky when I like the character. I never grew to like Greg. And because I didn't like him or the story line, things like the excessive cussing in the book really bothered me. Had I liked or felt drawn to the characters, I could forgive that flaw. Heaven knows I can speak in language that would make my mother cringe and a sailor seem tame.

I was so excited to find a book with an African American
Maureen
Apr 13, 2015 Maureen rated it really liked it
This was a pretty freaking great book. I really enjoyed it and laughed out loud at a lot of parts. It's not your typical YA - or typical cancer story for that matter - and that's what I loved about it. READ IT.
Christy
4-4.5 stars

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl: YA book #3 for me in 2016. It was a really good pick! Thank you to my bestie for suggesting we do this one on audio together! So before I get into this review, lets chat for a minute. Anyone who knows me knows I collect signed books. I have hundreds. It’s a problem (not really… but) Anyways, I was in a different city in a bookstore with my husband and in-laws. I’m texting Beverly and she’s all “Chris- see if they have hardback copies of this book we’re
April
May 19, 2015 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This was funny and realistic and I kinda don't really know how to feel about it
Tatiana
Feb 21, 2012 Tatiana rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tatiana by: Kirkus
Shelves: ya, ala-ya-2013, 2012
As seen on The Readventurer

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl was my second "cancer book" in as many months. Although both Jesse Andrews and John Green had the same intention - to write a story about cancer that was different from those other tearjerky novels, in my eyes, Andrews was much more successful at stepping away from melodrama and cliches of the genre than Green. Of course, Andrews does not (yet) have a publicity platform of Green's magnitude to promote his novel, so I am glad to be able to
Jo
Mar 20, 2012 Jo rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jo by: Tatiana
An exchange.

“I think I’m gonna go and read my book.”
“Oh? Which book is it?”
“Just this hilarious book about cancer.”

And you should’ve seen the glare I received.
Icyyyy.

You see that is the problem I fear I’m going to have with this book. I want to run around wildly and throw this book at people and yell “READ IT!” and they’ll be like “Woah, Jo, what’s it about?! Tell me everything!”
“IT’S AMAZING!!!!”
“Is it, is it really?”
“YES YES! WHY AREN’T YOU READING IT NOW?!”
“WHY ARE WE TALKING IN CAPITAL L
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl is a very strange book indeed. I’m sure some of you read the blurb and thought: Not another cancer book! Really, are books about teens with cancer the new black?! Yeah, I thought so too. It turns out that this book has very little to do with cancer. It has more to do with several other, completely unrelated things like filmmaking, high school social structure, odd friendships and nagging parents. It’s certainly not a sob story. The only tears I’d shed whil
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

EDIT: I NEVER change my rating, but this one deserves all 5 and I don't know what assholery I was up to when I first reviewed it and knocked it down half a star. Also, THIS (http://www.buzzfeed.com/danieldalton/...) was a thing a couple of weeks ago and Jesse Andrews already did it for realsies with Earl. Also #2, I used to write non-giffified reviews. How lame.

Greg has managed to make it to his senior year by being an acquaintance to
Katie
May 12, 2015 Katie rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book and thought it was really funny at times, but overall, it was kind of disappointing. I guess it was just a lot of hype, but I think it'll make a pretty good movie, and I'm really excited to see it when it comes out :)
Sarah Churchill
Such an unusual approach to this kind of story; a guy's reluctant friendship with a girl who's suffering with Leukemia, and while it should be a coming of age with some heartwarming scenes I spent most of the novel thinking he's a gigantic dick. And that just made it feel more real and understandable. That might seem like a strange sentence until you read the book.
Krista Wright
Jan 04, 2016 Krista Wright rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-hate
1.5 stars. What did I just read and WHY is this so popular? Why is there a movie? I am literally at a loss for words. This was not interesting or funny. The only saving grace was Earl and like maybe three sort-of funny scenes in the book.
Natalie Monroe

Nice Natalie: I don't even know why we're here. This book is pure snark. We love snark!

Cynical Natalie: Not if the characters are assholes. Greg is like the worse version of that kid from Diary of a Wimpy Kid. He's selfish, inconsiderate, and an all-around jerk.

Nice Natalie: What do you expect, he's a teenage boy. That's what makes him real.

Cynical Natalie: Just because he's a teenage boy doesn't give him liberty to be a douche. He treats Rachel like a burden, which I grudgingly acce
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)
Edit 06/18 : The movie looks fantastic! Me want. Trailer

Impromptu reread because what's better than starting vacations laughing?

This is it. Second time I read it and my opinion didn't change. Yes this is immature at times but what did you expect? The teenagers here feel real. Don't wait for the big revelations, for the meaningful things these kids have to say, you'd be disappointed. Don't wait for The Great Romance, either. That's just LIFE and I adored it for its honesty.

“It's like when a k
Elizabeth
Jun 16, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
THIS IS SUCH A LIZ BOOK. What does that mean? It's not your usual. It's a good mix of stream-of-thought, self-awareness, ridiculousness (alien barf), and more. I actually saw a pre-screening of the film a few months ago before I read the book, so it was neat to see how they compare -- both are equally amaze. The funny thing about that is that in the Epilogue of the book, he's like, "Please don't make this a movie!" and hilariously enough, here we are. Haha! Also, that cast is perfect for the cha ...more
Sophia
Jul 03, 2015 Sophia rated it liked it
aw man. i'm really bummed about not COMPLETELY LOVING this book since i've heard so much praise for it.
it was just okay for me. some of the time, the jokes landed and i'd be smiling while reading, but more often than not, the jokes didn't land. greg is very-much-super-aware of his own stupidity as he likes to remind you every other line, but that didn't really help much. (yikes that sounds mean i'm sorry)
it's a creatively written book, which is something i can very much appreciate. jesse andrew
Daiane
Dec 30, 2015 Daiane rated it liked it
Recommended to Daiane by: Aj the Ravenous Reader
So, you know when you have really high expectations about a book that everybody is talking about? And then that book is not all the magic you created in you mind.

Review coming soon. Happy New year :D
Elyse
Jan 04, 2016 Elyse rated it it was amazing
UPDATE: 1/4/16 I finally saw the movie! Paul, (my husband), and I watched it at home over the week-end. It was equally -(or better) -than the book! Paul kept saying ...."this is so creative"...
We both loved it!
So, if you're not in the mood for the book....I'm sure most people would adore this movie! Wonderful actors!

Fresh frankness, humor, and pathos.

Jesse Andrews writing is outrageous .... funny as hell....that revolves around a
sensitive plot. The dialogue is brutally honest...which is why
  • Personal Effects
  • Crash and Burn
  • Lexapros and Cons
  • Moonbird: A Year on the Wind with the Great Survivor B95
  • A Certain October
  • Nothing Special (Stupid Fast, #2)
  • Sparks: The Epic, Completely True Blue, (Almost) Holy Quest of Debbie
  • Two Parties, One Tux, and a Very Short Film about The Grapes of Wrath
  • The White Bicycle
  • My Book of Life by Angel
  • Food, Girls, and Other Things I Can't Have

“If after reading this book you come to my home and brutally murder me, I do not blame you.” 291 likes
“When you convert a good book to a film. stupid things happen” 188 likes