Kelly (and the Book Boar)'s Reviews > Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

bookshelves: read-in-2013, ya-for-grown-ups, favorites, pretty-on-the-outside

Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

EDIT: I NEVER change my rating, but this one deserves all 5 and I don't know what assholery I was up to when I first reviewed it and knocked it down half a star. Also, THIS (http://www.buzzfeed.com/danieldalton/...) was a thing a couple of weeks ago and Jesse Andrews already did it for realsies with Earl. Also #2, I used to write non-giffified reviews. How lame.

Greg has managed to make it to his senior year by being an acquaintance to all and a friend to none one. When you’re a rodent-faced, chubby kid growing up in a not-so-great area and attend a high school of cliques that run the gamut of nerd to criminal, it’s probably best to just blend in so you never get singled out. His only friend has always been Earl – a foul-mouthed, chain-smoking, vertically challenged, roundhouse-kicking kid from a broken home, who has pretty much raised himself in a house filled with drug dealing, gangbanging brothers. After Greg decided to give up on having other friends (or ever getting a girl), he and Earl spent all their free time making their own versions of their favorite movies. That is, until Greg’s mother tells him he has to rekindle a friendship with Rachel, a girl from his Hebrew classes ages ago, who is now battling leukemia. Begrudgingly following his mother’s demand request, Greg (and Earl) do as told, eventually letting Rachel in on their secret and sharing their movies with her. Rachel’s dying wish of her new two friends is for them to make a new movie for her. Unfortunately, said movie ends up being the "Worst Film Ever Made" and Greg finds himself in the spotlight he has hidden from all his life.

How can I even describe how much I liked this quirky little novel. After realizing he has made the “Worst Film Ever Made”, Greg has taken to paper to write his tale rather than put it on film. His self-deprecation (i.e., “I can’t believe you’re still reading this. You should smack yourself in the face a couple of times right now just to complete the outstandingly stupid experience that is this book”) and complete honesty about being an awkward teenager (“He has just gotten home from school and is trying to read “A Tale of Two Cities” for class, but it is difficult for him to maintain focus, because inside his pants he has AN INEXPLICABLE BONER”) made me have a “you had me at hello moment”. I am always reeled right in by the loveable loser. (And cover art. God am I a cheap date for a good cover.)

Although nearly 100% certain I would like this book right from the get-go, I never imagined what would happen when Earl entered my life. Earl is one of my favorite characters of the entire year. He gives you zero time to pity the poverty and drugs he has been raised around – instead he is just a constant ball of hilarity and brilliance and I remain smitten.

If you’re concerned about this being a replay of “A Fault In Our Stars” and turning into a huge boo-bag because you’re reading a book that flat out tells you it’s about a dying girl, have no fear. Yes, there is a dying girl, but she is really more of an accessory to the story. Andrews doesn’t let you in Rachel’s life so far as to rip your heart out at her suffering. He just gives you enough info to get you a little misty.

If you’re a fan of John Green or Matthew Quick or Stephen Chbosky, you should not be disappointed with Jesse Andrews. I can’t wait for him to write more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me and Earl and the Dying Girl.

October 25, 2013 – Started Reading
October 25, 2013 – Shelved
page 5
1.69% "I think I might be having a "you had me at hello" moment with this book . . ."
page 31
10.51% ""He has just gotten home from school and is trying to read "A Tale of Two Cities" for class, but it is difficult for him to maintain focus, because inside his pants he has AN INEXPLICABLE BONER."\n \n Oh Greg, I think I love you."
page 69
23.39% "Rachel's mother's voice = Linda Belcher\n \n
Uploaded with ImageShack.us"
October 26, 2013 –
page 294
99.66% "I never would have guessed I would love an overweight, rodent-faced teenager and his chain-smoking, vertically challenged buddy so much. Review to come, but pick this up if you are out and about over the weekend : )"
October 28, 2013 – Shelved as: read-in-2013
October 28, 2013 – Shelved as: ya-for-grown-ups
October 28, 2013 – Finished Reading
October 1, 2015 – Shelved as: favorites
October 1, 2015 – Shelved as: pretty-on-the-outside

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

Rashika (is tired) oo, my library has this book but I am not sure if I want to read it... if you still love it at the end of it then I am definitely checking this out.

message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent I love the title.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) That's what hooked me : )

message 4: by Debbie "DJ" (new)

Debbie "DJ" You got me too. I'm a big John Green fan, and this book did sound like a remake of "Fault in our Stars". Glad to know it stands on it's own. Thanks for the great review!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Thanks! Yeah, the "dying girl" is really the only similarity. There is also ZERO romance involved so my emotions didn't get all muddled ; )

message 6: by Debbie "DJ" (new)

Debbie "DJ" Gotta read it!!

message 7: by Ɗẳɳ 2.☊ (new)

Ɗẳɳ  2.☊ Just goes to show you usually rate stuff wrong the first time round.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Dᴀɴ 2.☢ wrote: "Just goes to show you usually rate stuff wrong the first time round."

I usually do EVERYTHING wrong the first time around. Just ask my oldest kid!

message 9: by Ɗẳɳ 2.☊ (last edited May 04, 2015 02:47PM) (new)

Ɗẳɳ  2.☊ heh heh, there's so many different ways you could read that comment, nice.

Edward Lorn Buying this shit in hardcover as soon as I can get my ass to BAM. That cover and synopsis mixed with this review has me sold. Thanks, Kells!

(oh, and Shelby's review helped too)

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* Okay so Earl; he was like Owen Meany meets Eddie Murphy (circa the 70's to be clear) ♥

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster* wrote: "Okay so Earl; he was like Owen Meany meets Eddie Murphy (circa the 70's to be clear) ♥"

That's a PERFECT description!

message 14: by carol. (new)

carol. Were you not feeling well when you updated? This review needs more bling!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) I wrote this one before I learned how to work the 'puter ; )