Natalie Monroe's Reviews > Warcross

Warcross by Marie Lu

Cynical Natalie:

Nice Natalie: For the record, I'm not comfortable being here. Marie Lu is one of our favorite authors! Remember when we met her and acted like complete dorks, but she was still really nice?

Cynical Natalie: How many times do I have to tell you? Separate the person from the art. Marie Lu is a lovely person, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to rip into her brain baby's ass and yank its innards from its throat.

Nice Natalie: Must you be so vulgar?

Cynical Natalie: Yes. Besides, you can't deny feeling thoroughly underwhelmed by Warcross.

Nice Natalie: Thoroughly is a bit of an overstatement. We did like the tournaments and the rules surrounding it. They were creative.

Cynical Natalie: Wish she'd put some of that creativity towards the romance. It's bland as fuck and twice as squicky when you see it's eerily similar to Fifty Shades of Grey. Hot billionaire falls in love with a girl lower on the social/wealth rung for no apparent reason, pays all her bills, then flies her out to Tokyo on a private jet.

Nice Natalie: That's unfair! You can't lump all billionaire romances together with Fifty Shades.

Cynical Natalie: I can and I will. Books aren't written in a vacuum. She should have realized Hideo and Emika resembled Christian and Ana.

Nice Natalie: Emika isn't anything like Ana, nor Hideo like Christian. She's spirited and clever and stubborn—

Cynical Natalie: God, I hate the description "stubborn." Bella Swan and every TSTL Paranormal Romance heroine after her pulverized that word to watery soup. It's not even an insult anymore. It's a compliment dressed like a nightmare.

If you ask me, Emika is June 2.0. Her criminal record, the one that haunts her permanent record, making her *gasp* morally grey, is the result of her defending the weak. Her soul is vanilla through and through. Why couldn't she have gotten it by doing something selfish but also sympathetic, like hacking bank accounts to pay the bills after her dad died?

Nice Natalie: Just because you're going through an antihero phase doesn't make good characters bad.

Cynical Natalie: Hey, I love Wonder Woman just as much as you, and she's as pure-hearted as they come. To prove, I'll tag a gif:

What I don't like are boring characters. One-note caricatures.

Plus, Emika's relationship with her dad is tragically one-dimensional. In Six of Crows, Kaz Brekker shares a nuanced, layered relationship with his decreased brother. Jordie had been wrongfully swindled, but part of the blame lay in his greed, and Kaz recognizes that. He's able to see his brother as a victim and the protector who abandoned him, no matter how unwillingly.

Emika and her father's relationship could've been something like that. Rage for him dying, for the debts, for leaving her alone and penniless. Love for the memories, for inspiring her rainbow-colored hair, for never forgetting to ask about her day. Instead we get a flat I-miss-him narrative. I could forgive it in her debut novel. Not now.

Nice Natalie: Must you hold up Six of Crows as the bar for everything?

Cynical Natalie: Do we love Taylor Swift?

Nice Natalie: It's not all bad. There's good diversity representation. Asher—handsome, sought after Asher—uses a wheelchair. Don't forget the other PoC from a range of different cultures and countries. Hideo, the love interest, is Asian, too.

Cynical Natalie: Thank you for bringing Hideo, I almost forgot. Why did he fall for Emika? The gal I get—he's her idol and made all her dreams come true. Him, ehhh.

Nice Natalie: What's not to like about her? She speaks her mind and is a brilliant hacker.

Cynical Natalie: Yes. Because there's no way Hideo has come across an independent, sassy woman once in his course as CEO of a multi-billion dollar company.

Nice Natalie: Do you not have a romantic bone in your body?

Cynical Natalie: Not in my body, no. But I do have a pretty nice collection in my basement.

Before you get all moony-eyed, remember we guessed all the twists, including one that was so soap-opera-ish, I still can't believe Lu included it. (view spoiler)

Nice Natalie: Just because we know how a story is going to end, it doesn't spoil the journey. We were really happy when we spotted all those Easter eggs from her previous books: a Warcross team named Windwalkers; Asher's big brother is called Daniel Wing; and the merit system in Japan, where you earn points for doing something small like watering a plant, mimics that of Antarctica from Legend's dystopian setting. Warcross is like a distant prequel. Lu confirmed it on her Twitter, too.

Cynical Natalie: Big deal.

Nice Natalie: It is a big deal. That earns half a star at least.

Cynical Natalie: Oh no, you don't. We're going to be objective. Two stars and that's because I'm happy Taylor Swift's Reputation is coming out in two weeks.

Nice Natalie: Two stars are for books we hate!

Cynical Natalie: No, one star is for books we hate. But since you insist, one star.

Nice Natalie: No!

Cynical Natalie: 0.5. Do I hear a bid for 0.5?

Nice Natalie: At least make it a solid four.

Cynical Natalie: In your glitter-powdered dreams. Two, take it or leave it.

Nice Natalie: THREE. And an extra 0.5 because we really do love you, Marie. I'm sorry I can't do more.

Cynical Natalie: I'm not. Now where's my Taylor t-shirt? I got Tumblr shit to reblog.

Other Nice Natalie/Cynical Natalie brawls reviews:
Harry Potter & the Cursed Child
The Hammer of Thor
The Ship of the Dead
Caraval

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warcross.

March 1, 2016 – Shelved
March 1, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
October 1, 2017 – Started Reading
October 1, 2017 –
page 0
0.0% "Buddy read with the human equivalent of sunshine Inge <3 <3"
October 1, 2017 –
page 5
1.36% ""Another screen features five of the superstar players competing in tonight's opening ceremony. Asher Wing.Kento Park...

Wing! WING! Perhaps some distant ancestor of Day from Legend? Or Day and June's son who figured out the ancient art of parallel universe-hopping? I'm rooting for the second."
October 3, 2017 –
page 189
51.36% "So far I've counted two instances where Emika releases a breath she didn't realize she was holding.

"

October 5, 2017 – Shelved as: typical
October 5, 2017 – Shelved as: when-sparks-don-t-fly
October 5, 2017 – Shelved as: i-am-so-smart-smrt
October 5, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 134 (134 new)

message 1: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa J. I second that statement.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

The one-sentence summary has got me seriously hyped. Love how she just churns out books right after finishing series. Amazing! :D

Natalie Monroe Right? Meanwhile, I can barely finish a book in two years. XD

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Natalie wrote: "Right? Meanwhile, I can barely finish a book in two years. XD"

I've attempted, but I always lose my spark for the story like two-third in. I'm weak. XD I think this is why script-writing is more my thing.

message 5: by Fliwan (new) - added it

Fliwan Totally agree !

Natalie Monroe Fliwan wrote: "Totally agree !"

I'm really excited!

message 7: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Lamary same, dude...

message 8: by Mizuki (new) - added it

Mizuki Hackers? Does she actually do research on this realm? After reading her so-called dystopian books I honestly don't trust her to touch anything remotely cyber-related.

Natalie Monroe Mizuki wrote: "Hackers? Does she actually do research on this realm? After reading her so-called dystopian books I honestly don't trust her to touch anything remotely cyber-related."

She used to work as an Art Director for a video game company. I have faith. :P

message 10: by Mizuki (new) - added it

Mizuki Natalie wrote: "She used to work as an Art Director for a video game company. I have faith. :P "

we haven't yet known if the story taken place in a dystopian/futuristic society or at the present time. If she is writing futuristic society again I will just pass.

PS: I don't think working for a video game company is equated to being knowledgeable about hackers, but I respect your opinion.

message 11: by Justine (new) - added it

Justine A lot of people mentioned that this book seems like a ready player one rip off natalie. What do you think? Hahaha. I'm actually worried because the first blurb sounded a lot like the concept in ready player one.

message 12: by Mizuki (new) - added it

Mizuki Michael Justine wrote: "A lot of people mentioned that this book seems like a ready player one rip off natalie. What do you think? Hahaha. I'm actually worried because the first blurb sounded a lot like the concept in rea..."

then maybe I will read Ready Player One to test the water first.

Natalie Monroe Michael Justine wrote: "A lot of people mentioned that this book seems like a ready player one rip off natalie. What do you think? Hahaha. I'm actually worried because the first blurb sounded a lot like the concept in rea..."

I haven't read Ready Player One, so I'm not sure. I have a lot of confidence in Lu though!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Natalie wrote: "Michael Justine wrote: "A lot of people mentioned that this book seems like a ready player one rip off natalie. What do you think? Hahaha. I'm actually worried because the first blurb sounded a lot..."

I've read the summaries. The only thing I see that's similar is the fact that it takes place in an alternate universe, and it talks about video games? Who knows, I haven't read Ready, Player One either. XD

message 15: by Justine (new) - added it

Justine @mikaela

It also involves both bounty hunters. And high prized money. And a virtual reality. Basically, both foundations of the story are grounded on the same premise.

This would be problematic for Lu if she can't surpass was Cline did (and that's hard considering how hyped ready player one is.)

message 16: by Justine (new) - added it

Justine @natalie

Lu won me over with the rose society so I hope this one works.

Mariam Ahmed Me, too!!
Marie Lu is, by any means, the best author in the world.

Mariam Ahmed Me, too!!
Marie Lu is, by any means, the best author in the world.

Natalie Monroe Mariam wrote: "Me, too!!
Marie Lu is, by any means, the best author in the world."

She's amazing in real life, too!

message 20: by Jaxon (new) - added it

Jaxon As someone who's read Ready Player One, I don't think that's an accurate comparison. Ready Player one involves a contest, not necessarily bounty hunters. I could see the comparison, but when I think bounty hunters, I think of Boba Fett. I see people going after criminals for money, which seems to be what she's going for here. This strikes me as much closer to Sword Art Online than anything. I don't think judging if something contains virtual reality as copying accurate because that's like claiming every book on magic schools is copying Harry Potter. (When Jane Yolen did it first anyways.) However, definitely give ready player one a read, it's an excellent book.

Natalie Monroe Jaxon wrote: "As someone who's read Ready Player One, I don't think that's an accurate comparison. Ready Player one involves a contest, not necessarily bounty hunters. I could see the comparison, but when I thin..."

I read it a couple months ago. It wasn't my cup of tea. The narrative was mostly telling rather showing, and the plot was formulaic. :P

message 22: by Book Queen (new) - added it

Book Queen I will too. Love her books, writing and stories. The type of genre she writes isn't even the kind that I read a whole lot. I don't know what she does but she draws me in. I can't stay away from her writing and I too, will be reading everything she writes. I already have.

Natalie Monroe Evanescence wrote: "I will too. Love her books, writing and stories. The type of genre she writes isn't even the kind that I read a whole lot. I don't know what she does but she draws me in. I can't stay away from her..."

She is a goddess.

Lana Ali Yassss she is amazing

Jesús Same HERE!!!!

message 30: by Ryza (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryza Rabino Ikr

Jenny initially i hated it, but it grew on me lol

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

well on the kindle it looks ok

message 33: by Immacolata (new) - added it

Immacolata i really hate it but when i saw how excited she is on her instagram i just said it's ok!

message 34: by Leah (new) - added it

Leah Alvord Well that's damn depressing. Who tf thought that was a good idea? ah well, as long as the content is her better, the dressing up i can forgive.

Arooj
This was literally the first thing that came to my mind, lol. But I'm still super excited for this series.

Natalie Monroe MelCast wrote: "i really hate it but when i saw how excited she is on her instagram i just said it's ok!"

I think she's obligated to say that hahaha. Authors don't have much say over their covers.

message 37: by Immacolata (new) - added it

Immacolata "unfair" is a right word to describe the thing!

message 38: by Camille (new)

Camille Wow, am I the only person who LOVES this cover??? Lol! At first I was like eh, but the more I look at it, I think it's awesome.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I sense a cover change happening in the future.

Fox I love the cover... Now I feel alone

message 41: by Ryan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryan Personally I love it

Jackie It's beautiful in person!

ezra's mischief My desire to read this book is turning me into a disgruntled mixture of envy and joy.

message 44: by Camile (new) - added it

Camile Souza (This Chamber of Books) I really hope this book is great, because this cover... yikes!
I can't stop thinking how this looks like a 3D version of one of microsoft word's decorative texts. Seriously.

message 45: by Mizuki (new) - added it

Mizuki That cover is the fugliest thing I've ever seen.

You are right, the more I look at this cover the more I realize it is just f--king ugly. There is no gentler way to put it.

message 46: by Vaishnavi (new)

Vaishnavi &#x1f33a; I'm laughing so hard at your cover comment, its so true

message 47: by Briefca (new)

Briefca NICE

message 48: by Mizuki (new) - added it

Mizuki You finished reading already? That's quick!

Natalie Monroe Mizuki wrote: "You finished reading already? That's quick!"

I wanted to know what happened. XD

Leyna A. Well books usually really pick up at book 2 and I have high expectations for Marie Lu :)

« previous 1 3