Natalie Monroe's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Testing, testing... one, two, three. Okay, we're live with Cynical Natalie and Nice Natalie as they live-react to Catching Fire!

Before reading:

Nice Natalie: I hope it's as good as The Hunger Games.

Cynical Natalie: Eh, I'm not holding out much hope. The Hunger Games wasn't that good this time around. The pacing lagged in the middle and Katniss comes off bitchy sometimes. Catching Fire and Mockingjay didn't come close to the high it gave the first time we read it.

Katniss flashback of Gale:

Nice Natalie: *sigh* Remember when we used to be Team Gale?

Cynical Natalie: I prefer to leave that memory in the murky marshes with Twihard tween Natalie. God, he's a selfish asshole. How did we not see this before? He's the broody, smouldering jerk we roll our eyes at now. (view spoiler)

First appearance of President Snow:

Cynical Natalie: 'He smells of blood', seriously? Can you spell cliche?

Nice Natalie: It's symbolic.

Cynical Natalie: Of cliche.

Train ride to Capitol with Peeta:

Nice Natalie:

Cynical Natalie: I am not with her.

District 11:

Cynical Natalie: Has Katniss always been this... pure of heart? Like she's charitable and can't stand to see pain.

Nice Natalie: I like it, it gives her character depth. You can't pin her down because she's both a killer and Mother Teresa.

The whipping:

Cynical Natalie: There it is. The love triangle.

Nice Natalie: Oh, let it go! Katniss's confession was a heat-of-the-moment thing. Remember what she said later?

Announcing the 75th Hunger Games:

Nice Natalie:

Cynical Natalie: Calm your emotions, woman.

Finnick's appearance:

Cynical Natalie:

Tribute interviews:

Nice Natalie: I love the movie's special effects.

Actually, I love everything about the movies. They stick to the book.

Cynical Natalie: Where's Madge?

Nice Natalie: Must you ruin everything?

Mags during the Games:

Nice Natalie:

Cynical Natalie: For God's sake...

This scene:

“I'm going to wake Peeta," I say.

"No, wait," says Finnick. "Let's do it together. Put our faces right in front of his."

Well, there's so little opportunity for fun left in my life, I agree. We position ourselves on either side of Peeta, lean over until our faces are inches from his nose, and give him a shake. "Peeta. Peeta, wake up," I say in a soft, singsong voice.

His eyelids flutter open and then he jumps like we've stabbed him. "Aa!"

Finnick and I fall back in the sand, laughing our heads off. Every time we try to stop, we look at Peeta's attempt to maintain a disdainful expression and it sets us off again.”

Nice Natalie: *happy sigh*

Cynical Natalie: I am allergic to joy. Moving on!

Katniss/Peeta pearl scene:

Cynical Natalie: This scene is problematic. Look:

“No one really needs me," he says, and there's no self pity in his voice. It's true his family doesn't need him. They will mourn him, as will a handful of friends. But they will get on. Even Haymitch, with the help of a lot of white liquor, will get on. I realize only one person will be damaged beyond repair if Peeta dies. Me.

"I do," I say. "I need you." He looks upset, takes a deep breath as if to begin a long argument, and that's no good, no good at all, because he'll start going on about Prim and my mother and everything and I'll just get confused. So before he can talk, i stop his lips with a kiss.”

One, Peeta is acting like those YA heroine who have nothing to live for except their love interest. Two, Katniss kisses him to shut him up. She admits it. Him talking makes her confused, so she basically uses sex to manipulate him. How's that different from Christian Grey using his dick to silence Ana?

Nice Natalie: We don't know much about Peeta's family life since Katniss never bothered to find out. I'm not saying it's right, but she had bigger things on her mind, like President Snow and handling PTSD.

I'm willing to admit that scene is little weird, but Katniss doesn't do it all the time. It's only a problem if she frequently uses her body to shut Peeta up. She's obviously overwhelmed and unsure of her feelings towards him, so she acts on instinct. Katniss isn't good with words, she's all about action.

The ending:

Nice Natalie: MY FEELS ARE RUNNETH OVER.

Cynical Natalie: Why are you talking like you're in a Shakespeare play?

After reading:

Nice Natalie: Five stars. The writing's better, and Katniss has become a very complex character. The stakes are off the charts.

Cynical Natalie: I concur. But if you ever tell anyone I agreed with you, I'll beat you with an orange in a sock.

My review of The Hunger Games

The Hammer of Thor
The Ship of the Dead
Caraval
Warcross

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

Quotes Natalie Liked

Suzanne Collins
“So it's you and a syringe against the Capitol? See, this is why no one lets you make the plans.”

Suzanne Collins
“Really, the combination of the scabs and the ointment looks hideous. I can't help enjoying his distress.
"Just avoid mirrors. You'll forget about it," I say.
"Not if I keep looking at you," he says.”

Suzanne Collins
“So that's who Finnick loves, I think. Not his string of fancy lovers in the Capitol. But a poor, mad girl back home. ”

Suzanne Collins
“I always channel my emotions into my work. That way, I don't hurt anyone but myself.”

Suzanne Collins
“I wish I could freeze this moment, right here, right now and live in it forever.”

Suzanne Collins
“Now he's [Cinna] arranging things around my living room: Clothing, fabrics, and sketchbooks with designs he's drawn. I pick one up and examine one of the dresses I supposedly created.
You know, I think I show a lot of promise," I say.
Get dressed, you worthless thing.”

Suzanne Collins
“We star-crossed lovers of District 12, who suffered so much and enjoyed so little the rewards of our victory, do not seek our fans' favor, grace them with our smiles, or catch their kisses. We are unforgiving.
And I love it. Getting to be myself at last.”

Suzanne Collins
“We had to save you because you're the mockingjay, Katniss," says Plutarch. "While you live, the revolution lives.”

Suzanne Collins
“The bird, the pin, the song, the berries, the watch, the cracker, the dress that burst into flames. I am the mockingjay. The one that survived despite the Capitol's plans. The symbol of the rebellion.”

Suzanne Collins
“Whose is it, do you think?" I say finally.

"No telling," says Finnick. "Why don't we let Peeta claim it, since he died today?”

Suzanne Collins
“You know, you could live a thousand lifetimes and not deserve him.”

Suzanne Collins
“It must be very fragile, if a handful of berries can bring it down.”

Suzanne Collins
“I realize only one person will be damaged beyond repair if Peeta dies. Me.”

Suzanne Collins
“I can only form one clear thought.

This is no place for a girl on fire.

Suzanne Collins
“My nightmares are usually about losing you. I'm okay once I realize you're here.”

Suzanne Collins
“I don't want you forgetting how different our circumstaces are. If you die, and I live, there's no life for me at all back in District Twelve. You're my whole life." Peeta says. "I would never be happy again. It's different for you. I'm not saying it wouldn't be hard. But there are other people who'd make your life worth living."

"No one really needs me," he says, and there's no selfpity in his voice. It's true his family doesn't need him. They will mourn him, as will a handfull of friends. But they will get on.... I realise only one person will be damaged beyond repair if Peeta dies. Me.

"I do," I say. "I need you.”

Suzanne Collins
“But Mockingjays were never a weapon," said Madge. "They’re just songbirds. Right?"

"Yeah, I guess so,” I said, But it’s not true. A mockingbird is just a songbird. A mockingjay is a creature the capitol never intended to exist. They hadn’t counted on the highly controlled jabberjay having the brains to adapt to the wild, to thrive in a new form. They hadn’t anticipated its will to live.”

February 20, 2012 – Shelved
July 29, 2014 – Shelved as: i-m-your-barbie-girl
July 29, 2014 – Shelved as: i-spy-something-pointy
Started Reading
page 0
0.0% "\n \n Surely I can't be the only one who cringes at Stephenie Meyer's quote. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.\n \n "
page 17
4.35% ""Just the sound of his voice twists my stomach into a knot of unpleasant emotions like guilt, sadness and fear. And longing. I might as well admit there's some of that, too. Only it has too much competition to ever win out."\n \n "
page 25
6.39% "\n \n This line sends shivers down my spine."
page 54
13.81% "\n \n \n President Snow's actor is fabulous, but doesn't match my mental image. I pictured Snow as a lean man with cheekbones that could cut glass, and the actor looks like Santa Claus."
page 58
14.83% "I pick up one of the sketchbooks and examine a dress I supposedly created. "You know, I think I show a lot of promise," I say. \n \n "Get dressed, you worthless thing," Cinna says, tossing a bundle of clothes at me.\n \n Sassy Katniss reappears."
page 76
19.44% "\n "
page 118
30.18% ""Gale, I can't think of anyone that way now. All I can think about, every day, every waking minute since they drew Prim's name at the reaping, is how afraid I am. And there doesn't seem to be room for anything else. If we could get somewhere safe, maybe I could be different."\n \n *weeps because this is a heroine who has her head on straight*"
page 134
34.27% "\n \n Friendly reminder Gale was whipped for poaching, not punching a Peacekeeper like in the movie. That makes the Capitol ten times worse."
October 3, 2015 – Finished Reading
October 4, 2015 –
page 169
43.22% "Waiting for Finnick like:\n \n "
page 192
49.1% ""Stay with me."\n \n As the tendrils of sleep syrup pull me down, I heard him whisper a word back, but I don't quite catch it."\n \n "
page 210
53.71% "\n \n I'm not crying, I have a tree in my eye."
page 250
63.94% "\n \n Finnick's here! Cue shrill fangirl scream."
page 270
69.05% "Twirl for me. \n \n "
page 300
76.73% ""I can see Finnick's eyes, green in the moonlight. I can see them clear as day. Almost like a cat's, with a strange reflective quality. Maybe because they are shiny with tears. 'No,' he says. 'I can't carry them both. My arms aren't working.'"\n \n \n \n My fucking heart."
page 316
80.82% ""Poor Finnick. Is this the first time in your life you haven't looked pretty?" I say. \n \n "It must be. The sensation's completely new. How have you managed it all these years?" he asks. \n \n "Just avoid mirrors. You'll forget about it," I say. \n \n "Not if I keep looking at you," he says. "
page 340
86.96% ""If you die, and I live, there's no life for me at all back in District Twelve. You're my whole life."\n \n That line makes me rather uncomfortable. If it were a girl, we'd be calling for blood, but because it's a male love interest, we swoon. \n \n I wish we knew more about Peeta. His family life, his friends, why he feels nothing else is worth living for."
page 343
87.72% "\n \n \n Yeah, I'm a hypocrite. This scene gets me every time."
page 380
97.19% "\n \n \n \n One of the saddest scenes in Catching Fire is the breakdown of Haymitch and Katniss' relationship. They understood each other in their own peculiar way."
October 11, 2015 – Shelved as: favorites
October 11, 2015 – Shelved as: pleasantly-surprised
October 11, 2015 – Shelved as: ripped-my-heart-out
October 11, 2015 – Shelved as: mental-illness
April 14, 2016 – Shelved as: my-inner-feminist-cries-with-joy

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Kellie Yay, I'm delighted to know you liked this! My English teacher thinks that THG is better than CF, but personally, I agree with you haha. CF was really good. Really excited for your review! :)

Natalie Monroe Kellie wrote: "Yay, I'm delighted to know you liked this! My English teacher thinks that THG is better than CF, but personally, I agree with you haha. CF was really good. Really excited for your review! :)"

I used to like The Hunger Games more. But now I'm older, I see how Collins' writing has improved and Katniss' character is a lot more complex. The stakes are freaking HIGH.

message 3: by Aisyah ♡ (last edited Oct 11, 2015 09:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aisyah ♡

I totally agree with you Natalie, in my opinion it's much better than THG. Most people overlook how good CF is because the actual Hunger Games is much later in the book unlike THG. There are those who even prefer Mockingjay than CF because of the so-called action and blood shed *shudders*. Anyway, looking forward to your review :D

Natalie Monroe Aisyah (*≧▽≦)ノ wrote: "

Aisyah ♡ Natalie wrote: "During my last few rereads, Mockingjay was my least favorite out of the series. Now I'll have to see! XD "

LOL! Happy reading~
Mockingjay was very depressing during my first read, but on subsequent reads I find myself liking it more. Although I still think THG is better than MJ.

Vanessa J. Ha! Cynical Natalie, I love you! Though for once, I'm with Nice Natalie as well. God, you're making me want to reread this series.

Natalie Monroe @Books Thank you! :D

@Vane I'm so glad you enjoy my weird, random thoughts hahaha. Read the series with me! MOCKINGJAY IS COMING.

Vanessa J. I will definitely reread Mockingjay. I mean, it's the last of the movies! And I haven't read this series in... 3 years?

Simona Bartolotta I thought I was the only one to actually think Peeta acted like a jerk on that beach. Thank you, Cynical Natalie.

Natalie Monroe Simona wrote: "I thought I was the only one to actually think Peeta acted like a jerk on that beach. Thank you, Cynical Natalie."

*Cynical Natalie takes a bow*

Kelly Brigid Lovely review!

Natalie Monroe ♰Қєℓℓу✧Ƈαяρє ∂ιєм♰ wrote: "Lovely review!"

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

"where's Madge"
Omg XD i love your reviews so much

Natalie Monroe Sammie wrote: ""where's Madge"
Omg XD i love your reviews so much"

Aww, thanks!