Start by marking “A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality” as Want to Read:
A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality

A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality

Homosexuality: is it learned, biological or both?

The answer to this question deeply concerns parents. They want to know how they can best raise their children. A common belief today is that nothing can be done to foster the development of healthy heterosexual orientation in children. But the clinical experience and professional research of Dr. Nicolosi and others indicates
Published September 30th 2002 by IVP Books

To ask other readers questions about A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality, please sign up.
Saunders How can you actually change the way you were born? Who says homosexuality is a sin - society? the church? Who makes this kind of judgment? People? Who…moreHow can you actually change the way you were born? Who says homosexuality is a sin - society? the church? Who makes this kind of judgment? People? Who?

I dont believe that the only "true" relationship is between a man and a woman - thats a myth that has been around for a long time thanks to the interpretation of "Adam and Eve"!

A Parents Guide to Preventing Homosexuality - seriously?(less)
Lisa Henry Nevertheless, rating the book due to its title is perfectly within GR guidelines, whether you personally agree with that or not.

And how exactly is it…more

And how exactly is it unhelpful to someone who wants to read "literature" of a different point of view? It's okay. You can read one-star reviews without taking them as gospel, you know. Helpful tip: You don't even need to read all those other reviews in the first place. You can just scroll straight past them. In fact, you're free to go and buy this book and read it immediately, if that's what you want to do.

But many of us out there are disgusted at the implicit homophobia in the title of this book. In fact, some of us have watched interviews with the author's former patients, and have reached the opinion that the "therapy" the author provides is actually dangerous, harmful and that perhaps a better solution than teaching young people to hate themselves would be to teach others not to hate them.

And maybe some of us even feel that expressing our opinions here, on this website that asks us for our opinions, might even help a parent or a child who is going through a difficult time realise that hey, there are people out there in the world who don't think there's anything wrong with being homosexual.

But so sorry you were irked. (less)

Start your review of A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
May 19, 2014 marked it as will-never-ever-read
You are so right, Joseph Nicolosi! Boys shouldn't play with dolls or play dress up if they want to be straight! They should only do incredibly heterosexual things, like play sports!

goodreads|instagram|twitter|blog
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
Parents should be far more concerned with making sure their children don't grow up to become homophobes instead!!! ...more
Tami
Feb 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
Because titling it 'A Parent's Guide to making their children commit suicide' is too harsh

Even if you don't agree with homosexuality, your love for your child should over come that.

Do not stand before me and say that God does not approve of homosexuals. They were born gay, which means God made them that way. To say that God disapproves of that which He Himself made is to say that God is not perfect. If God is not perfect, then he is not God.

-user alkuna
Julio Genao
Aug 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: the fireplace
Shelves: bantha-poodoo, no
a highly-efficient source of heating fuel.

description

nicolosi has been discredited for his barbarism all over the internet, up to and including by one stephen fry, who visited him at his offices to ask him, for instance, why finding patients of his who have been 'cured' of their homosexuality is so difficult, when finding patients who 'did not respond to treatment' is so easy.

in other news, fundamentalists discover 'hungary' is a noun and onanism has no effect on presidential elections whatsoever.

news at
mark monday
Sep 23, 2013 marked it as unread-forever
Joseph Nicolosi is an American clinical psychologist, founder and director of the Thomas Aquinas Psychological Clinic in Encino, California, and a founder and former president of the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality. He is also clearly a

photo professional_zps0079e186.png
Drea
god, I hate stupid people. I hate it even more when they write books.

I told her, "Mom, you saw me play with Barbie dolls. You allowed me to use makeup and to fix my hair in front of the mirror for hours. My brothers never did any of this. Why didn't you stop me? What were you thinking?"

well, clearly the reason why I'm attracted to both genders is because I played with Barbies and Lego's as a kid, amirite?

Furthermore, civilization has shown us that the natural human family (father, mother and chi
M'rella
Mar 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
UPDATE: Tried scrolling through the book and reading it on Amazon.

Scary stuff that reeks of dark ages.

Homosexuality doesn't need preventing. Homophobia does.

****

human
Dec 22, 2020 marked it as imma-just-nope-the-fuck-out-of-here
no, i am never going to read this. and neither should you.

fuck this shit. i'm done with it. the hate has to stop. it isn't doing anything but making the world a worse place to live in. and entitled arseholes like nicolosi are only perpetuating it.

enough about this crap. here, have some ✨gay✨ fanart to cleanse your mind (credit to all the incredibly talented artists. none of the following is mine):

credit to GEAROUS

credit to @Maria Romero on Twitter

credit to Viria

credit to adomuch blog on Tumblr

cr
La-Lionne
Sep 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: hell-to-the-no
No, I have not read this book and not planning on doing so. The title alone speaks volumes. It's an insult to me and everything I believe in.
This is my first 1-star rating for the book I haven't read and not planning on reading, but for some weird reason it feels soooo good.

According to GR I'm not allowed to say anything about the author any longer, only about the book. I'm in a pickle here, I haven't read the book, but there is a lot I want to say about the "author", who, in my opinion, is ig
Nataliya
May 30, 2020 rated it did not like it
It’s been a very long time since my “syphilis of literature” shelf got a new addition to it. The other horrible books on it were getting lonely.

Vile and disgusting.

Sadly, unlike syphilis, bigotry and intolerance and the overall condition of being a shitty person cannot be cured by penicillin.
Manny
May 30, 2020 marked it as not-to-read
A very disappointing addition to the Parent's Guide series. Long-time fans will look back nostalgically to Sixtus IV's Preventing Heresy, Vladimir Ilyich Lenin's Preventing Bourgeois Thinking, and Joseph Goebbels's Preventing Jewishness. ...more
Lisa Henry
I will not read this book for personal reasons. However, I will thoroughly review the portion I have read: the title.

The title seems to indicate that homosexuality, as something that should be prevented, is negative and something that parents ought to be concerned about, like your child riding their bike off a cliff, or catching rabies from a dog bite.

Reckless bike stunts and rabid dogs are certainly something I would warn my children to avoid. However, I will not read this book because not on
Camila (previously the opinionated Catruler)

EX-HOMOSEXUAL MEN AND WOMEN

Kaethe Douglas
Aug 15, 2013 marked it as stricken
Oh, hell no.

I'm frankly horrified that there are people who have read this book and believe that it offers anything other than bigotry and hate.

1. Sexual orientation is in not correlated with gender identity

2. Neither sexual orientation nor gender identity can be caused, nor prevented, they can only be accepted or denied

3. Parents who cannot accept their children for who they are should not have children

4. Sexual orientation is not correlated with having a kind, generous, and loving relationship
Baba
This piece of crap deserves a one star rating even though I haven't read it. On the other hand, I would rate it with one star if I had read it. Either way...the subject matter is craptastic. One star it is. :)

photo tumblr_mbia4j9oU91r8w0joo1_400_zps69c8f609.gif

GOODREADS SHOULD REMOVE THESE KINDS OF BOOKS FROM THEIR FORUM.
Why anyone would feel the need to write about THAT is beyond me. Will never read such a book. Hell to the no.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Jan 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: condyloma
I wouldn't even use this book as toilet paper. ...more
Sandra
This book is POISON!!
It reads like a parents guide to child abuse, in which moms and dads are told to never let their children play with gender-inappropriate toys, never let them dress any which way they want or express themselves as individuals. If in doubt, surely you can beat the homo out of your kid, right?

It's books like this one that perpetuate the myth of 'healing' or 'redirecting' homosexuality. People do not choose to be LGBTQ. Nobody with even a lick of sense would choose to be persecu
Teresa
May 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
I think they named this book "A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality", because "A Parent's Guide to Causing Your Homosexual Child to Kill H/herself" would seem too creepy.

As for Nicolosi: I would love to say two certain words to you that have a finger gesture to go with it.

And this one is for every homosexual, bisexual, and transexual out there: You ARE beautiful and amazing. And don't you ever, EVER let anyone tell you you're not.
Katrina
Feb 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
I have never had such a visceral, negative reaction to a book. I wanted to cry before I'd even opened it.

This is just plain horrifying.

This book attempts to justify prejudice and discrimination. It encourages closed-mindedness and intolerance. The institution this book came from has to be stopped.

"Reparative therapy" for homosexuality has never been shown to work empirically, despite all of the fancy studies this book cites. Some points I am forced to agree with - we have not yet proven that s
MLE
Jan 21, 2016 marked it as your-ignorance-is-showing
Hateful, dangerous, and deadly nonsense. My heart breaks for children whose parents buy into this trash.

sofia
Dec 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
anyways here are some of my favorite lgbtq+ books:

Red, White & Royal Blue
trigger warnings: addiction, alcohol, anxiety, death, drugs, forced outing,
sexual harassment (mentioned)

I Wish You All the Best
trigger warnings: anxiety (detailed), child abuse, depression, dysphoria, homophobia, misgendering, panic attacks, suicidal thoughts, transphobia, drinking

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
trigger warnings: homophobia, depression, transphobia
(this is my all time favorite book)
FireLily
Dec 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: zero-stars
Why the fuck does this shit exist???
If you want anything blatantly heteronormative and influential for children, force them to watch a Disney movie. That would be forcing heterosexual norms on them and instilling internal homophobia. In fact, it already is! We don't need flaming shit like this book to teach parents how to shove their kids off bridges.
People need to get over the idea that seeing queer people in books or on screen will influence their children to be queer. No, Deborah. I spent my
Bev
Never in a million years...complete crap...the author is an idiot...and that's being polite...there are some other extremely rude words I could use but I'm too much of a lady...No, I'm not, you scum bag and piece of s**t!! You're obviously not that much of a parent at all if you assume kids can be 'trained' not to be homosexual...it's in their genetic make up you moron, so it's down to the parents NOT the kids....throws hands up in the air!!

Edit dated 18/10/13. Have just been watching the good d
Jenn
Nov 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-gonna-happen, wtf
description

And on that note, just because I can...
Jessica
Jan 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: use as toilet paper
Photobucket

Photobucket

I am so lucky to have awesome parents.
Evey
May 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
What the actual freaking flying fuck is this? D:

JUST. NO.
Plainbrownwrapper
Sep 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-interested
Here's just a few facts about NARTH -- National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality -- which Mr. Nicolosi cofounded:

1. NARTH's founders believed that homosexuality was caused by “smothering mothers and abdicating fathers.” -- even though homosexuals are born into ALL types of homes

2. They are virulently homophobic -- Founder Socarides called homosexuality "a purple menace that is threatening the proper design of gender distinctions and society”.

Founder Nicolosi was previously
Trisha Harrington
Sep 22, 2013 marked it as not-if-you-paid-me

I have very little time for these books, which is why I could never read one. As a person, I believe we should love someone for who they are. Books like this one make me sad. I don't believe someone should force someone to accept something they don't want to accept. But I do believe you should let people get on with their own lives.

Never in my life did I think I would be saying I would rather re-read Fifty Shades of Grey. Unfortunately, the day has come where I can say that. Books like these are
Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink*
There is so much hatred in the world, so much pain. Why would you contribute to your child's pain by trying to prevent them from being who they really are? Love is love and there should be more of it out there in the universe. Hold your loved ones close and be grateful that you have them in your lives. Love shouldn't come with qualifiers or restrictions as long as everybody is a consenting adult. This book is sickening.

Patricia
Feb 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nope
I'm not sure yet if I should read this book to be able to say why it sucks or if pointing out that the title is "A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality" does the job.

I mean, for all I know it could be a joke, right? Please, God, let it be a joke.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Terrible. 8 218 Apr 05, 2017 04:08PM

• Coming Out Straight: Understanding and Healing Homosexuality
  • Birth Control Is Sinful in the Christian Marriages and Also Robbing God of Priesthood Children!!
  • Healing Homosexuality
  • Penetrated by the President's Twitter Feed
  • The Second Wave (Kissing the Coronavirus #2)
  • 2020 on Goodreads
  • #Killstagram
  • Straight Talk About Homosexuality: The Other Side of Tolerance
  • Healing and Deliverance Prayers for Gays and Lesbians @ The Midnight Gate: Prayers to heal, cure and deliver from Homosexuality
  • All Your Twisted Secrets
  • Courting the Coronavirus
  • Virtual Unicorn Experience (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #12)
  • I Wish My Kids Had Cancer: A Family Surviving the Autism Epidemic
  • Heracles' Bow
  • Wild Like Us (Like Us, #8)
  • Miles to Go