Sandra 's Reviews > A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality

A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality by Joseph Nicolosi

This book is POISON!!
It reads like a parents guide to child abuse, in which moms and dads are told to never let their children play with gender-inappropriate toys, never let them dress any which way they want or express themselves as individuals. If in doubt, surely you can beat the homo out of your kid, right?

It's books like this one that perpetuate the myth of 'healing' or 'redirecting' homosexuality. People do not choose to be LGBTQ. Nobody with even a lick of sense would choose to be persecuted, harassed and bullied simply for who they love. And a book that tells a parent otherwise, by suggesting it's their fault their kid turns out LGBTQ, is a crappy book. Way to induce the guilt trips, crappy, assholish book.

It is also utterly false to equate sexuality with gender identity. Trust me, gay men know they're men. They have proof of their gender hanging between their legs. Gay men identify as male. They are sexually attracted to other men, who also know full well that they're men.

This is the kind of book you're allowed to burn.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality.

05/05/2016 marked as: winter-in-pandemonium

message 1: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen I just want all those people who think that being gay is a decision to let me know when it was that they decided to be heterosexual because if they're honest the answer is they didn't they just knew they were and if they were even more honest they'd admit books like this are a waste of good paper or hard drive space or e-reader memory. They just should not exist. Superb review!

message 2: by MLE (new) - added it

MLE Hateful nonsense. My heart breaks for any child whose parents try to prevent them from being themselves and loving whoever they chose. Sexuality is not defined by whether or not you played with dolls or trucks or anything else. It's sad how dangerous this line of thinking can be, and how tragic the consequences sometimes are.

Mary Griffin

It boggles my mind how people can talk about love and still spew forth such vile, nasty, hateful stuff. This is part of the reason why I make a very coconscious choice not to believe.

Sandra Yeah, sexuality has nothing to do with gender identity. This book is sooo stupid.

lethe I am so going to steal your shelf name 'that poor tree'.

Sandra lethe wrote: "I am so going to steal your shelf name 'that poor tree'."

Be my guest. :)