Start by marking “An Architectural Approach to Level Design” as Want to Read:
An Architectural Approach to Level Design

An Architectural Approach to Level Design

Explore Level Design through the Lens of Architectural and Spatial Experience Theory

Written by a game developer and professor trained in architecture, An Architectural Approach to Level Design is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. It explores the principles of level design through the context and
Published June 14th 2014 by A K PETERS (first published May 30th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about An Architectural Approach to Level Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Architectural Approach to Level Design

Start your review of An Architectural Approach to Level Design
Barret Gaylor
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

I liked it. It was an ok book. Now I am just trying to fill the word count. Apple Jacks
Smoreley
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: game-design
As someone with no previous architectural studies under his belt, this book offered a nice shallow introduction to the topic. Just enough to get you to understand how an architectural understanding would be applicable to Level Design. This book is a great demonstration of how important it is to study architecture and its design, in the real world, so that you can improve your ability to better design levels in games.

The chapters were all fairly interesting but none of them went extensively into
Ninakix
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-2015
This book was really interesting, both as a player, and as someone curious about the game design process. I also think it has some broader applicability to other design processes so is worth thinking about.
Steve Graham
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in spatial aspects of game design
Recommended to Steve by: Jeffrey Howard
Does a great job connecting ideas from architecture with game design. An excellent text wrt level design. I'm in the process of re-reading it for the course on level design I'm teaching this (spring 2019) semester. My recollection from last year was that it was very good, though not quite perfect. The flaws were more in the nature of places where arguments could be made clearer or stronger, and where additional examples might add to clarity. I would actually rate it a 4.5 -- but since I can't, I ...more
Rase McCray
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really excellent and comprehensive book on level design philosophy, with practical tips grounded in multiple schools of learning and development. In both good and bad ways, this felt like a PhD thesis, as it’s definitely more rigorous and interdisciplinary than other books on the subject.
Grungi Ankhfire
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting insight into the ways level design can influence player emotion and gameplay flow. Loved the plentiful illustrations and the easy to read prose. I feel there are quite a few lessons from this books you could apply right away, which is always good.

• The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses
  • Blood, Sweat, and Pixels: The Triumphant, Turbulent Stories Behind How Video Games Are Made
  • 101 Things I Learned in Architecture School
  • A Theory of Fun for Game Design
  • Batman: Hush
  • ضد
  • Toward a Ludic Architecture: The Space of Play and Games
  • Life Reset: Hobnobbing (New Era Online Book 3)
  • Ember (Awaken Online: Tarot #1)
  • The Design of Everyday Things
  • Batman: White Knight
  • Unity (Awaken Online, #4.5)
  • Мёртвый ноль (Сновидения Ехо #7)
  • Ритуалист. Том 2
  • Batman: The Long Halloween
  • Костяной дракон (Дорогой мертвеца-4)
  • Color: A Workshop for Artists and Designers
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »