Start by marking “Seductive Interaction Design: Creating Playful, Fun, and Effective User Experiences” as Want to Read:

What happens when you've built a great website or app, but no one seems to care? How do you get people to stick around long enough to see how your service might be of value? In Seductive Interaction Design, speaker and author Stephen P. Anderson takes a fresh approach to designing sites and interactions based on the stages of seduction. This beautifully designed book exami ...more
Published June 25th 2011 by New Riders Publishing (first published May 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Seductive Interaction Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seductive Interaction Design

Graham Herrli
This book is very similar to Designing for Emotion by Aarron Walter, but longer, packed full of even more concrete examples, and making a more direct effort to tie each example to universal psychological principles such as our love of pattern recognition and set completion or our need to reciprocate generosity.

Anderson shows how when you interact with a website, it's a lot like interacting with a stranger you've just met for the first time. In both cases, you don't want to ask for too much pers
Ray DeLaPena
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great read! This belongs on the shelf with Don't Make me Think and The Design of Everyday Things. It's a quick read but what it communicates is invaluable and will change the way you design. My only issue is with the references being so temporal. In 10 years I don't know if people will know wat MailChimp is (Sorry MailChimp) but the information in the book is timeless.
Tony
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I purchased this book when looking for practical design advice for my new software startup. I spent some time researching various titles before finally settling on this book. Seductive Interaction Design did not disappoint! Despite being a relatively small book, it is filled with lots of useful tips, suggestions and anecdotes. I've found other software-oriented books to be heavy in theory but light in real world value. This book managed to include a bit of theory but plenty of clear examples of ...more
Vilém Zouhar
Surprisingly interesting book (even for someone with almost no prior experience with good designs). First part deals with basic don't do's, the second one with most common practices and the last one with user motivation. I recommend reading Predictably Irrational before this one.
Dalan Mendonca
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolute gold for design and psychology buffs.
The book links concepts in psychology with examples of interfaces that use them very well.
An inspiring read for all makers.
Cat
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Engaging design is a topic I get really excited about and it was a cool take on relating psychology principles to UX design through a dating analogy.  The book was broken into short chapters so it was easy to pick up and put down as I had time/energy.  It is full of familiar principles from psychology and lots of example designs to illustrate his points.  I would love an updated version (this book was published in 2011) to show more recent examples in the aesthetics section, but I think the fund ...more
iniputi
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: waiting-for-you
Filled with lots of examples and experiments explaining psychology aspects that can be used for designing a seductive interaction design. Covers topics from aesthetic, beauty, small steps, and even on how to make a game on your products. Topics such as sequencing, framing, anchoring, associations, feedback loop, variable rewards, etc. The examples and experiments presented make it easier to actually understand what the author trying to say.

The writing style of this book also non-native friendly
Ardavan Mir
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very well gathered collection of psychological theories and behavioral studies that will result in delight or seduction as he calls it. The book is very easy to read with lots of examples.

Although I didn't like the book design because of vibrant colors and flamboyant chapter headings.
La
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Full of examples and stories, a very useful and inspiring book. It only gets three stars from me though, due to the amazing number of spelling and grammatical errors. What went wrong with the editing process?
lisa
Mar 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
As mentioned at the end of the book, the interface examples did not age well indeed. The theory part was quite broad and consequently superficial, I would rather just read all the books mentioned by the author. A lot of the practice mentioned (regarding interactions) is also outdated, which only proves how fast this field moves, and how important is continuous study. But for me, the part that nailed how incredibly out of touch with the current reality this reading was, is when the author says th ...more
Summa Smiff
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ux-ui
The focus of most interaction design books tends towards interface design - where to use a button, when to show a list, etc. Seductive Interaction Design takes a different approach, a much more human one. What behaviors do you want your users to have? How do you influence behavior? For example, people naturally want to complete a set of something - so if your app has a multi-step process, make this impulse work for you. Full of examples found "in the wild", it shows how to use game design to psy ...more
Ivan
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in a long, long time, I think deserves more than the 5/5 rating. A real delight :)

What I was looking for going in:
- structured analysis of the factors that matter in "UX"
- use of real-life examples and screenshots for better illustration
- backed by convincing research

I got all of this plus
- clear, funny and concise writing style (maybe because the author used to be an English teacher)
- nice formatting (the newspaper style of having two text columns on a page makes it much
Jay DiNitto
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent walkthrough of the psychology behind what's known as "gamification." In other words, how to make a good, functioning website or app a delightful, or even meaningful, one--ones that keep users coming back to it or will dings some 9s and 10s on the NPS score. This book deserves two read-throughs to catch some insights you may have missed, especially with all the references to landmark psych studies, but it's written in plain English, so even a casual reader will get a lot out of it.
Paulina Durán
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quite amusing & refreshing for those just getting into UX or design. The author gives great examples (supported by research, of course) of situations where small tweaks in design paved the way for better results. From forms and content rules to psychological traits and theories, this book has it all :)
Emanuel Serbanoiu
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was wonderful. I start it at a perfect time and it summed up everything psychology related that I've read in the last couple of months.

If you are a designer that wants to know more about human behaviour and how to use design to drive it, this is your book. It has plenty of examples and references to studies and it's really easy to read.

One of the best books you can read.
Dave Applegate
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Anderson does a stellar job illustrating the building blocks and levers to think about when creating an interactive design. His concepts are very concrete and actionable. I did struggle a bit getting through this book though because of his writing style. I've never said that about a book before. Nonetheless, my 4-star rating was soley based on the content which is very impressive.
Aga Szóstek
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Some professional books can also be fun to read. This is exactly that sort of book. Full of inspirational examples, good scientific basis - I would recommend it to anyone interested in experience design field.
Jamie Showrank
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
psychology-driven look at #behavior #design filled with useful examples and tips to craft delightful experiences. Excellent read!
Aurelio Arantes
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
This books could be a very good one in the past, but now it is very old.
Sarah Potter
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this, but it really needs to be updated. So much has changed in the industry in the last 6+ years! Also, lots of typos.
Justin
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well designed (pretty) overview of UI design
Anetq
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While the examples are dated (remember Gowalla? 2011 is a long time ago in internet years) - the content is still good; Practical examples of how to delight your users, break things down in snack sized bits and don't ask for surplus information - and make the experience fun :)
Fan Marin
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
How to keep users involved?
It's an extension of "Emotional Design".
Mikal
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Seductive Interaction Design is more than a provocative title. It's a book that is surprisingly grounded in human behavior and psychology-- brought together in practical comprehensible terms and chapters.

The sequencing and pacing of this book is just right to get you inspired by the opportunities to make your website more enticing. Where it excels, compared to Designing for Emotion for example, is it doesn't ever become focused on emotion as the outcome. Seductive IxD maintains the perspective t
Dadivx
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had really high expectations on this book. Not so long ago I read "The Design of Everyday things" and I was hoping that this one was focused on online applications. Actually it is, but I had to say that I felt a bit disappointed as I found some of the examples from the beginning of the book just too silly. However, the book has some really interesting thoughts and it does the purpose the writer intended, which is to inspire, to give ideas and clues of how a website can attract more users and w ...more
Jun 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
Anderson puts psychology and technology in a blender and hits frappé in this short and highly-readable primer on interactive design. In chapters thick with practical examples, he covers the basics of aesthetics (particularly as it relates to user experience), persuasive technology, and gamification, all in a laid-back conversational tone. Color illustrations abound, allowing readers to actually see the design elements Anderson discusses in action, as it were.

Given that I read this for a class, I
Sandro
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very nice book. The way that it is written makes it easy to read and understand. The frequent relations between romantic seduction and interface/design seduction are often quite ingenious.

I particularly enjoyed the last chapter of the book that gives a larger focus to questions surrounding the area of gamification. It is a really direct book most of the times where the author shows that he knows what is really important and what are the questions that he is trying to somewhat answer with is book
Marcel de Leeuwe
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
10 years ago I really was into books about HCI, like the ones from Jakob Nielsen and Albert Badre. This book is a next step into designing useful and involving user experiences.

It is not so much about functional or graphical usability (although it also covers some of these aspects) but more about influencing users and seduce them towards certain behaviour within the site, app etc. Anderson writes in a very accessible way with lots of real life examples and covers subject like the influence of wo
Stringy
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
For me, this is a great partner to Giles Colborne's 'Simple and Usable' as a way of making interfaces that don't make your audience groan at the thought of using your website. I'll confess that I thought it'd be more about the hard-sell, but there's nothing sleazy or dodgy about the methods shown here.

I also liked that it focused on practical steps to finding out what would engage and delight your particular customers, rather than a one-size-fits-all approach, or endless proofs of Why without an
Jodi
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love Stephen's work and was excited that he finally wrote a book. Part of the reason I love his work is because I share the opinion that, at a high level, can be described as "going with the flow". He looks to leverage the way people think about things and actually do them when he designs a product. I feel like that's the way to be successful in anything, so I think he's spot on. The book itself is chock full of examples and data, which are extra helpful. Good stuff for anyone in product desig ...more

• Designing with the Mind in Mind: Simple Guide to Understanding User Interface Design Rules
  • Undercover User Experience Design: Learn How to Do Great UX Work with Tiny Budgets, No Time, and Limited Support
  • Storytelling For User Experience: Crafting Stories For Better Design
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • Simple and Usable Web, Mobile, and Interaction Design
  • Prototyping: A Practitioner's Guide
  • Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services
  • Remote Research: Real Users, Real Time, Real Research
  • Designing Social Interfaces
  • Designing the Obvious: A Common Sense Approach to Web Application Design
  • A Practical Guide to Information Architecture
  • Observing the User Experience: A Practitioner's Guide to User Research
  • The Mobile Frontier: A Guide for Designing Mobile Experiences
  • Content Strategy for Mobile
  • Subject To Change: Creating Great Products & Services for an Uncertain World
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web (Voices (New Riders)
  • A Project Guide to UX Design: For User Experience Designers in the Field or in the Making

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Stephen P. Anderson is a speaker and consultant based out of Dallas, Texas. He spends unhealthy amounts of time thinking about design, psychology and leading intrapreneurial teams—topics he frequently speaks about at national and international events.

Stephen recently published the Mental Notes card deck, a tool to help businesses use psychology to design better experiences. And, he’s currently wri
“I think it's more accurate to think of aesthetics as a key ingredient in a recipe, as opposed to the icing on the cake.” 2 likes