Start by marking “Bummer Summer” as Want to Read:
Bummer Summer

Bummer Summer

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  183 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
When twelve-year-old Kammy has difficulty accepting her new family after her father's remarriage, a summer at Camp Arrowhead helps her to put her home life in perspective.
Paperback
Published May 1st 1986 by Scholastic (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Bummer Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bummer Summer

Alexandra
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i would have LOVED this book as a young girl. absolutely loved it. i loved it now of course, but i would have loved to have read it as a kid. how many times can i say love jesus christ. but it was SO GOOD. first off, i just happen to love (omg) ann m martin. she was such a huge part of my childhood, like an iconic part of it. karen and nancy and hannie and kristy and claudia, dawn, stacey, mallory pike, maryanne. 🤤😭🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼 i could go on and on.

bummer summer's protagonist was kind of an annoying
Rachel
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nostalgia fix met! I was actually looking for a completely different book. I was driving myself nuts trying to find a book I loved as a kid about a girl that takes care of a horse. I did finally crack the case on that but in the meantime I stumbled upon this book. I couldn't believe it! My parents bought this book for me before I left for camp myself.
Well since I was able to read it for free.....why not. An hour later I felt like I had time travelled back to that summer I went to camp.
That's i
Jenna
I received Bummer Summer from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Bummer Summer, first published in 1983, was Ann M. Martin’s first book. Yes, that Ann M. Martin, author/creator of The Baby-sitters Club series. Along with the BSC, I had read some, but not all, of her other work before I picked up Bummer Summer. I was worried that the book would be slightly dated, but other than a few minor details (like the references to alligator shirts, or the camp director’s surprise that Kammy’s paren
Cas H.
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ann M. Martin is best know for her Babysitter's club books. She has written many, many novels for young teens, which I have loved throughout the years.
Ann originally wrote Bummer Summer in 1983 and in 2014 she has republished it under the same title. This was her first book ever written and I am proud to say that I read it in the 80's and again in 2014.

Bummer Summer is about a twelve year old girl, Kammy, whose life is changing at a rapid pace.
Kammy lives with her father, and she loves her li
lisa
Mar 24, 2016 rated it liked it
If I had read this book when I was young I might have liked it a lot, and then had nostalgic memories about it while reading it as an adult. However, despite the fact that I was a big Ann M. Martin fan when I was younger I hadn't read this book before now. I know it was her first book ever, and I often read (and enjoyed) her non-BSC books, but this one slipped past me somehow.

At first Kammy's brattiness really bothered me, but I enjoyed seeing how she mellowed out as the book went on. It was ac
Emma
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure: I've never read a Baby-Sitters Club novel and until I've read the little afterword written by Ann M. Martin at the end of this book, I thought it was a series of MOVIES not BOOKS *blushes*. What can I say? It never was a thing in my country (to this day).

Anyway, I absolutely don't remember when or why I've downloaded Bummer Summer and when I started reading it, in the middle of a bad insomnia attack, looking for something very easy to read, I totally thought it was a very recent
Michelle
I grew up reading Ann's Baby-Sitters Club books (mostly the 80s and early 90s stuff). I haven't read any other books by Ann, so receiving this from Netgalley was a great gift. I am looking forward to reading more books. Like Rain Reign, A Corner of the Universe and A Dog's Life are all on my TBR list.

Bummer Summer was good. It was realistic and had a lot of likable characters. Kammy had some pre-teen angst and didn't like changes from her little bubble of a world. Kammy, her father and new famil
Michelle Kidwell
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bummer Summer Ann M Martin April.2014 Kindle Edition

This is a great book for eight to twelve year olds or those who are simply young at heart.

Kamillia is facing a lot of changes a new Mother a little sister and a baby brother when her father remmarries she is not ready to face any of this including the camp she really does not want to go to. By the time her two week trial period is over and her parents come for visiting day she decides to stay.

I give this book five stars and though it is a rerel
Marna
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
My favorite ever. Though I didn't get the whole alligator shirt thing until much later, as I was still a toddler then. Anyway, I always consider Kammy a bit of a prototype Kristy though I like that she is also sort of a wuss. I could relate to that better. Though I really think this book gives a bad bit of advice: that in order to not be teased about not wanting to undress in front of everyone you should act as though you have no shame. This was also bad apparently and everyone at Jesus/Girl Sco ...more
The Styling Librarian
Bummer Summer by Ann M. Martin – I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. Really lovely angst from a girl dealing with her father finding a new love and her getting a stepmother and two step-siblings. Appreciate the camp interactions and activities that she dealt with as well. I had no idea that this actually was Ann’s first book written, before the Babysitters Club series. Loved the personal history that was shared at the end of the book about the author. Appreciate that it is getting republished.
Erin
Mar 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ann M. Martin's first book...loved this as a kid and enjoyed it equally as a re-read. As a kid, I loved books set in summer camps because I really wanted to go to one, but my mother totally vetoed that idea. Great 80's classic.
cubbie
Oct 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
lots of fun. it's a great mix of spot-on preteen angst and fun plot. not quite as sugary as some of the baby-sitters club novels, but still nice and cozy.
Dianna
May 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: youth-fiction
A good read for the pre-teen girls.
Beth
ARC supplied by publisher via NetGalley
Heather
From "Books I have read this summer" list that I found at home in NJ.
Kathryn moore
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Easy to emphasize with the main character .
Maria Celina
Nov 05, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Ten Ways To Make My Sister Disappear
  • Yours Till Niagara Falls, Abby
  • Patti's Luck (Sleepover Friends, #1)
  • The Littles To The Rescue
  • The Baby Unicorn
  • Otis Spofford (Ellen & Otis, #2)
  • Dream: A Tale of Wonder, Wisdom & Wishes
  • Laura's Luck
  • Good-Bye Pink Pig
  • Against the Rules (Sweet Valley Twins, #9)
  • The Haunting of Grade Three
  • The Book of Dragons
  • When the Dolls Woke
  • The Littlest Pilgrim
  • A Friendship For Today
  • A Wish for Wings That Work: An Opus Christmas Story
  • Among Friends
  • Iggie's House

More about Ann M. Martin...