Start by marking “How to Get Out of Your Own Way” as Want to Read:
How to Get Out of Your Own Way

How to Get Out of Your Own Way

The New York Times bestselling "road map of conscious compassion and love" (Deepak Chopra) from actor, singer, songwriter Tyrese Gibson.
Organized as a series of fundamental questions that helped Tyrese redefine who he was as a human being, and evolve into a new man, How To Get Out of Your Own Way is a guide to helping yourself, using his experiences as a learning tool.
Published April 7th 2011 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2011)

Start your review of How to Get Out of Your Own Way
Shanae
Mar 28, 2011 rated it liked it
"How to Get Out of Your Own Way" by Tyrese Gibson deserves a solid 3 stars. I chose to bypass the chapters on men, women, and intimate relationships because I know that Gibson does not think the way I do and, therefore, I chose not to aggravate myself by reading his thoughts on male-female interpersonal relationships. However, I did read a little bit of the chapter where Gibson advised women to "talk" the fathers of their children into behaving like fathers, which is by far the most inane thing ...more
Kya Publishing (Toronto)
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sister Souljah. Omar Tyree. Iyanla Vanzant. John Singleton. Eckhart Tolle. Terry McMillan. These are the handful of writers who have influenced me through their words over the years. Influenced me in my decisions and ideologies, my passions, and my goals. After reading "How to Get Out of Your Own Way" I can now add Tyrese Gibson to this list.

It didn't take me long to read this book. In fact, in less than a day, I was engrossed in his words from start to finish, and closed that book with a
Khalid Scott

Gibson's: How To Get Out of Your Own Way
A few months ago I saw Singer, Actor and Model Tyrese being interviewed on Windy City Live and he peaked my interest when he started to discuss his recent New York Times best selling book "How To Get Out of Your Own Way!"

When I went searching to buy the book, I looked at the cover and said to myself, what could this guy tell me to motivate me to be a better man and person, so I passed up buying it. Fast forward to May 3, 2012, I had passed one of my
Vickie
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book is very basic and common sense. He is not giving you much advice that you havent probably already heard before. You can get the same type of advice listening to a preacher or talking to your mom or a good friend. There wasnt much in this book that was very deep or revealing of new information that I havent already heard before.

This information is so basic like for example stay away from negative people, forgive others and stuff like that. Who hasnt heard that before in some form or
Tiffany Reads
Oct 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Title: How to Get Out of Your Own Way
Author: Tyrese Gibson
Rating: 3
Headline: Self-Help or Biography?

I was excited to read what was marked as a biography by singer/actor Tyrese Gibson, but to my disappointment, it came off more as a self-help book. Gibson shared some insights into his life before the now infamous Coke commercial that started his career at the age of 16. When Gibson wrote about life in Watts and the dysfunction within his parent’s marriage those were the best chapters of the book
Manuela
Jul 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
I think in the end, you still don't have a sense of who Tyrese is, and how he got himself out of his own way, and why I should read this book. Lots of preaching and advice, and page filler of similar information, but no depth, no real sense of who Tyrese was, and is. His real experiences are what readers want to know about, so they can learn from that, not from his recycled advice that I am sure every young kid who gives this book a chance has heard already. I understand he is a private person, ...more
Andrea Lewis
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Once I started reading "How to Get Out of Your Own Way" I could not put down the book. I was deeply engrossed. Not because it was Tyrese the entertainer, but Tyrese the human being. Shedding his personae and getting real about life.

He tackles subjects that have been swept under the rug and regardless of one's background. Dysfunction knows no boundaries. Tyrese is a portal to bring this to the light.

Tyrese is part of a movement to take responsibility of our own happiness. In my opinion, it could
Amanda Presley
Jul 10, 2011 rated it did not like it
I was excited to read this book and was very let down by it. The writing was poor, the chapters were all 30-50 pages long and I don't know about you but I don't like stopping in the middle of a chapter. The chapter about his "childhood" was irrelevant to the rest of the book. I felt like he took quotes from other people and copy and pasted them into these pages. Not original and didn't tell me anything I haven't heard 1000 times before.
Krystol
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was very good. I recommend it.
Crystal
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Inspirational and thought provoking. Now get up and make it happen! I ain't mad at ya Tyrese!
James Wilson
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
This is a well written book, it reads as though Tyrese is sitting in front of the reader engaged in conversation. His telling of his childhood and early years sets the stage for his later years and gives the reader a look into his past. Tyrese offers the reader his plan for getting out of your own way, just as he did. His plan is very simple, yet most will find it difficult to execute. This book will remain in my library as a reference that I will use regularly. I recommend this book to everyone ...more
Reyvonne Belair
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Its a perfec book
Adrienna
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Tyrese Gibson shares his life trials and triumphs. There was a friend, Sameer, who planted the seed to get his mojo going to write the book. We need the push, encouragement, or someone to put it in us to go forth. Later, there was Angie who saw the good in him regardless of the madness. God has created some of us to see this in people we meet, and hopefully it will stir something inside of them to pursue their dreams, goals and make it a reality! We need to have a heart for others from the very ...more
Krystol
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow

I've learned so much about Tyrese and his story growing up. This book is like a reminder of how to live righteous and to the fullest. The advice on love, sex, and school will be beneficial for me. I bought this book for my niece and I know she will love it! Great job, Tyrese.
Krys (Krys Reads)
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, 2013
Since I started reading this book I had tabs on nearly every page marking favorite quotes. Needless to say if I was to copy all them down I'd need more than a page to get them all written. So unfortunately (fortunately) you'll have to read this book to read the rest of them. Although, I have seen many of the author's films, and heard a multitude of his songs countless times, I was quite interested in seeing what he had to write about. After reading numerous tweets from readers from all walks of ...more
Joe D.
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not big on self-help books but this one made for interesting light-reading. Tyrese Gibson, for those of you who don't know, is a major film actor and singer. Although, he makes it clear from the beginning that he didn't write this book for a "pat on the back", but because there were a lot of people out there who needed to hear it.

There's a lot of useful advice in here for those looking to help themselves be stronger, and better people. For example, I think one of the best talking points
Shoshanah
I'm pretty sure that I'm not the intended audience for this book. I did guess that going it, but I figured I'd at least give it a chance. Who knows, they may have been pieces I could connect with. And while there were items that made sense, overall I think if I was a teenager living in the ghetto or one without a lot going for me, I would have appreciated this a lot more.

For me, I think the worst parts were the chapters on cheating. Basically Tyrese's viewpoint is that all men cheat and it's
Travis Smith
Mar 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads-win
I was super excited when I saw that I won this on first reads. I’ve been a fan of Tyrese since I saw him in the movie Baby Boy. So I was very happy to get his book and read about what his life has been like. It is a book written to inspire the reader to look at their own life and see if they are able to do something to make their own lives better. It is written as a series of questions that you have to ask yourself, which tyrese answers for himself based on his own life experiences. Seeing how ...more
Valarie
Jul 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Ok maybe not a masterpiece work on self-improvement, self-empowerment and relationships, but this book does offer some words of wisdom for anyone who is willing to give it a try. My favorite parts start with the prayer at the beginning where he actually thanks Father God and not just some higher power or greater being. He is genuine enough to offer what feels like real prayer. Chapter 1 feels like more memoir but I guess we needed to get a little of his background to understand where he truly ...more
J.
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Tyrese is open & honest about his shortcomings as a person. He tells you exactly what he is thinking & that they are all only his opinions. He brings about new ways to look at life! I love his faith & determination to live his life on his own terms! My favorite parts are his selfishness views & his top 5 approach!

Tyrese has more insight into the world of money than I thought he would share which is inspiring! I like that even in telling you his point of views
Grace Masters
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
There is some really great advice in this book. I do wish he there was more of Tyrese in it than just his advice, but none the less, a good read. I did start tuning out at the cheating chapter, mainly I felt like there was not mention of personal responsibility, just the general "men will be men", as if they have no willpower. I understand the difference between men and women, but it came across at least to me that people are just skin-deep. And from a someone who has a strong faith, I honestly ...more
Roslinda
Apr 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly, I liked this book. He's not a psychotherapist, he's an actor/singer, so don't read it expecting anything more than that. It was like sitting with a friend who's giving you positive advice. If you go into it thinking nothing more than that, you may enjoy it. I never really thought of Tyrese, I don't like him or dislike him, but after reading this, I have to say it did give me a new found respect for him. If you're looking for something to give a little positive uplift, give this ...more
Chris
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Served its purpose for me. Was in a motivating mood. The only chapter that bored me was the cheating portion. The repeated messaging and less examples did it. Everything else held my attention quite firmly. Written as if you were having a one-on-one conversation. Found his childhood memories and mentors highlights of he book. Impressed and looking forward to the book in which he is to partner with Reverend Run, touching on manhood.
Lucimar
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Tyrese breaks it down for us, saying everything we've already (maybe subconsciously) known, but PUTS IT IN OUR FACE to cause action!!!

If you are ready to take an honest look at yourself, your life and the choices that you've made that have put you in a holding pattern, this book will change your life. If you are not ready to take honest inventory of the choices you've made in life, move onto something else.
Jeffrey
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I see a lot of reviews saying this book had "basic information", but in all honesty this book changed many aspects of my life. I thought different before reading this book and it taught me several ways of thinking which I'm thankful for.

Regardless of if Tyrese's advice was basic or not, it may just save a life or two from committing some of the worst mistakes in life.

5 stars for helping me get my mind out the gutter.
RPG
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I think thought this was a very good book. He is no psycologist or psychiatrist, but I think this can fall in the category of self help book -- and a good one at that. I would advise people against taking everything in this book as gospel (particularly the stuff on why men cheat). But Tyrese does a very good job of making you think about your life and how you might be holding yourself up from the life you want.
Michelle
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wonderful story of Tyrese Gibson's life and the motivating factors that lead to his success and fame. Very relatable to anyone's life and the factors that cause many of us to stand in our own way and not live the life we want to. He discusses how our fears can stop us dead in our tracks from doing what we meant to do.
He could have stayed in the rough neighbourhood where he was but instead choose to fight his way to celebrity status and doing something he enjoys for a living.
Lanisa
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought the book was a very interesting book some chapters seem that it was a repeat from the last chapters, it is a very inspiring book and has lots of meaningful words. It was great to find out what Tyrese Gibson had to go through to become a million dollar celebrity. This book is very inspiring i would recommend for anyone to read Its very uplifting.
Samantha Houston
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Not much for self help books but this one is definitely worth attention. Well written and blunt it will become something you pick up and re-read when you need a good kick in the ass.

Some great business and life advice. I was always a fan of Tyrese as an actor but he is a fantastic speaker and mentor as well.
Anna Khamsini
Sep 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Ok I might be partial because I love tyrese the singer and actor but I give him credit - it was a decent self help book. I think he held back a lot in sharing his personal experiences but I can understand he is In the public light. Tyrese - if u read this thanks for the advice about taking a look at the top five people In your life. ;-)
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Wealth Cure: Putting Money in Its Place
  • Super Rich: A Guide to Having It All
  • The Drama of the Gifted Child: The Search for the True Self
  • One Day It'll All Make Sense
  • A Cook's Tour: Global Adventures in Extreme Cuisines
  • Triumphs of Experience - The Men of the Harvard Grant Study
  • The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth: Popularity, Quirk Theory and Why Outsiders Thrive After High School
  • The Rule of Four
  • Yes!: 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive
  • The Architecture of Happiness
  • The Human Brand
  • Scarcity: Why Having Too Little Means So Much
  • Six Degrees: The Science of a Connected Age
  • Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe
  • In the Night of the Heat (Tennyson Hardwick, #2)
  • The Elements of Style
  • Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man: What Men Really Think About Love, Relationships, Intimacy, and Commitment
  • The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Tyrese Darnell Gibson also known simply as Tyrese, is an American R&B singer, rapper, actor, former fashion model and MTV VJ. After releasing several albums, he transitioned into films, with lead roles in several Hollywood releases. He also is now a member of the sensual group trio: TGT (featuring Tyrese, Ginuwine, and Tank).
“Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.” 14 likes