Start by marking “A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality” as Want to Read:
A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality

A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality

1.52  ·  Rating details ·  363 Ratings  ·  155 Reviews
Homosexuality: is it learned, biological or both?

The answer to this question deeply concerns parents. They want to know how they can best raise their children. A common belief today is that nothing can be done to foster the development of healthy heterosexual orientation in children. But the clinical experience and professional research of Dr. Nicolosi and others indicates
Published September 30th 2002 by IVP Books

To ask other readers questions about A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality, please sign up.

Saunders How can you actually change the way you were born? Who says homosexuality is a sin - society? the church? Who makes this kind of judgment? People?…moreHow can you actually change the way you were born? Who says homosexuality is a sin - society? the church? Who makes this kind of judgment? People? Who?

I dont believe that the only "true" relationship is between a man and a woman - thats a myth that has been around for a long time thanks to the interpretation of "Adam and Eve"!

A Parents Guide to Preventing Homosexuality - seriously?(less)
Lisa Henry Nevertheless, rating the book due to its title is perfectly within GR guidelines, whether you personally agree with that or not.

And how exactly is it…more

And how exactly is it unhelpful to someone who wants to read "literature" of a different point of view? It's okay. You can read one-star reviews without taking them as gospel, you know. Helpful tip: You don't even need to read all those other reviews in the first place. You can just scroll straight past them. In fact, you're free to go and buy this book and read it immediately, if that's what you want to do.

But many of us out there are disgusted at the implicit homophobia in the title of this book. In fact, some of us have watched interviews with the author's former patients, and have reached the opinion that the "therapy" the author provides is actually dangerous, harmful and that perhaps a better solution than teaching young people to hate themselves would be to teach others not to hate them.

And maybe some of us even feel that expressing our opinions here, on this website that asks us for our opinions, might even help a parent or a child who is going through a difficult time realise that hey, there are people out there in the world who don't think there's anything wrong with being homosexual.

But so sorry you were irked. (less)

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
May 19, 2014 marked it as will-never-ever-read
You are so right, Joseph Nicolosi! Boys shouldn't play with dolls or play dress up if they want to be straight! They should only do incredibly heterosexual things, like play sports!

julio
Aug 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: the fireplace
Shelves: bantha-poodoo, no
a highly-efficient source of heating fuel.

description

nicolosi has been discredited for his barbarism all over the internet, up to and including by one stephen fry, who visited him at his offices to ask him, for instance, why finding patients of his who have been 'cured' of their homosexuality is so difficult, when finding patients who 'did not respond to treatment' is so easy.

in other news, fundamentalists discover 'hungary' is a noun and onanism has no effect on presidential elections whatsoever.

news at
Tami
Feb 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
Because titling it 'A Parent's Guide to making their children commit suicide' is too harsh

Even if you don't agree with homosexuality, your love for your child should over come that.

Do not stand before me and say that God does not approve of homosexuals. They were born gay, which means God made them that way. To say that God disapproves of that which He Himself made is to say that God is not perfect. If God is not perfect, then he is not God.

-user alkuna
Drea
god, I hate stupid people. I hate it even more when they write books.

I told her, "Mom, you saw me play with Barbie dolls. You allowed me to use makeup and to fix my hair in front of the mirror for hours. My brothers never did any of this. Why didn't you stop me? What were you thinking?"

well, clearly the reason why I'm attracted to both genders is because I played with Barbies and Lego's as a kid, amirite?

Furthermore, civilization has shown us that the natural human family (father, mother and chi
mark monday
Sep 23, 2013 marked it as unread-forever
Joseph Nicolosi is an American clinical psychologist, founder and director of the Thomas Aquinas Psychological Clinic in Encino, California, and a founder and former president of the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality. He is also clearly a

photo professional_zps0079e186.png
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
Parents should be far more concerned with making sure their children don't grow up to become homophobes instead!!!
La-Lionne
Sep 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: hell-to-the-no
No, I have not read this book and not planning on doing so. The title alone speaks volumes. It's an insult to me and everything I believe in.
This is my first 1-star rating for the book I haven't read and not planning on reading, but for some weird reason it feels soooo good.

According to GR I'm not allowed to say anything about the author any longer, only about the book. I'm in a pickle here, I haven't read the book, but there is a lot I want to say about the "author", who, in my opinion, is ig
Тамрико
UPDATE: Tried scrolling through the book and reading it on Amazon.

Scary stuff that reeks of dark ages.

Homosexuality doesn't need preventing. Homophobia does.

****

Lisa Henry
I will not read this book for personal reasons. However, I will thoroughly review the portion I have read: the title.

The title seems to indicate that homosexuality, as something that should be prevented, is negative and something that parents ought to be concerned about, like your child riding their bike off a cliff, or catching rabies from a dog bite.

Reckless bike stunts and rabid dogs are certainly something I would warn my children to avoid. However, I will not read this book because not on
Kaethe
Aug 15, 2013 marked it as stricken
Oh, hell no.

I'm frankly horrified that there are people who have read this book and believe that it offers anything other than bigotry and hate.

1. Sexual orientation is in not correlated with gender identity

2. Neither sexual orientation nor gender identity can be caused, nor prevented, they can only be accepted or denied

3. Parents who cannot accept their children for who they are should not have children

4. Sexual orientation is not correlated with having a kind, generous, and loving relationship
Terrible. 8 198 Apr 05, 2017 04:08PM
  • Birth Control Is Sinful in the Christian Marriages and Also Robbing God of Priesthood Children!!
  • Coming Out Straight: Understanding and Healing Homosexuality
  • The Raie'Chaelia (Legend of the Raie'Chaelia, #1)
  • The Destruction of Dresden
  • Making Gay Okay: How Rationalizing Homosexual Behavior Is Changing Everything
  • Revealing Eden (Save the Pearls, #1)
  • Finding Cassilia
  • Spectaccolo
  • Suicide Ride: The Fix (Suicide Ride #2)
  • Learning To Love
  • Confessions of a Guidette
  • Nothing Bad Is Going to Happen (No One Else Can Have You, #2)
  • Disorderly
  • Correct, Not Politically Correct: How Same-Sex Marriage Hurts Everyone
  • The Secret of Castle Cant: Being an Account of the Remarkable Adventures of Lucy Wickwright, Maidservant and Spy
  • Adela Arthur and the Creator's Clock (The Chronicles of A, #1)
  • Quinn (Undaunted Men, #1)
  • The World Rose
More about Joseph Nicolosi...