Start by marking “Crawling Chaos: Selected Works 1920-1935 ” as Want to Read:
Crawling Chaos: Selected Works 1920-1935

Crawling Chaos: Selected Works 1920-1935 (Colaboraciones I)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  402 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
An indispensable collection of HP Lovecraft's best work from his distinctive collaborative pieces, prose-poems and early tales of the gruesome and bizarre, through to his later, more mature work: the Cthulhu Mythos. With an introduction by Colin Wilson, Crawling Chaos is must-have for every horror/ fantasy fan.
Paperback
Published June 1st 1997 by Creation Books (first published 1921)

To ask other readers questions about Crawling Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crawling Chaos

ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Oct 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Crawling Chaos
By Elizabeth Berkeley and Lewis Theobald, Jun.
[Winifred Virginia Jackson and H. P. Lovecraft]

This is a dream that Jackson had and Lovecraft wrote down. It is not about Nyarlathotep though.

It starts with an accidental opium overdose and it turns into an apocalyptic vision. The narrator witnesses the destruction of the whole world. You never know what is next because you are at the mercy of whatever the narrator experiences.
Mark Goodwin
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this short story, Lovecraft is at his descriptive best. His use of the English language and his ability to manipulate it in such a vivid way has, in my view, challenged other authors who for the most part, will not be able to meet that challenge.

This is the kind of story one needs to read over and over again, if for nothing else, then to be awed by Lovecraft's talent
Old-Barbarossa
Apr 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
You love him or you hate him. I think this is my top Lovecraft anthology. All my favorite tales in one book. Dreams In The Witchhouse and The Hound amongst others.
Does exactly what it says on the tin.
Read it and then start dropping "eldritch" and "squamous" into conversation.
Claudio Valverde
Como siempre Lovecraft uno de los mayores exponentes de la literatura del terror. Lo innombrable, lo indescriptible y lo siniestro siempre están presentes en sus obras. Muy recomendable.
Carmilla Voiez
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, dark-fantasy
Short stories from fifteen years of Lovecraft's career. The tales often reveal the obsessive nature of Lovecraft's mythology through repetition that can sometimes feel tiresome, but his imagination is darker and more fertile than many literary masters. There are real problems with the work. We dismiss these too easily by claiming an artist is of their time, but the racism in these works is as shocking and grotesque as any of his fantastical monsters. Women are pretty much as absent from his work ...more
David Caldwell
The entry for this book (ASIN B00815UE0C) is misleading. It says it is well over 300 pages long. It is not. With this edition from Acheron Press, all you get is the single short and three pictures.

The short story will not disappoint any fan of Lovecraft. It is a story of a man undergoing an overdose of opium. While it is strange, it is also fairly tame for a Lovecraft story.

Again, there is nothing wrong with the story by itself. The only reason I only gave it three stars is the fact that this ed
Andrew
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
this is yet another anthology of Lovecraft's work however this is a one of the better collections of his work (there are so many out there all with similar and in some cases the same title so making it very difficult to decipher which is worth reading and which is not). However i agree with other reviewers there are some interesting exception. That said there are some true classics here from the Call Of Cthulhu to the Shadow over Innsmouth. My only compliant about this books is its type face and ...more
Marco
Nov 06, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This story is a collaboration between Winifred Jackson, and H. P. Lovecraft. The idea behind the story is quite simple: drugs are gateway to the world of (possibly prescient) visions. After "establishing" the fact quoting previous work by renown artists like Baudelaire, the narrator starts telling his story. He never used drugs, but once, during the year of the plague, an overworked doctor administer him an (unintendedly large) dose of opium that triggers prescient vision of the end of the world ...more
R. August
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Nice imagery of the destroyed world, but ended before the horror in the rift actually appeared. Don't know which would have been more atmospheric - knowing or not knowing, though given the theme of people being unable to comprehend the reality of their place in the universe I suppose Lovecraft couldn't have shown us what was inside and remain true to his mythos (despite being shown actual horrors in other stories...)
Erika
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I think this is the third time I've read this book, the first taking place around some good six or seven years. I have to say this last time was the one I enjoyed it the most. Once you get over youth's search of sensationalistic horror you learn to appreciate the subtleness of Lovecraft's writing.
A good introduction to the author's work, presenting the reader with a nice range of short stories so you'll probably find one to your liking.
Netanella
The edition I read was the short story only, "The Crawling Chaos" from 1921. In it, the narrator hallucinates from an overdose of opium accidentally administered by a doctor, and witnesses the destruction of pretty much everything, Mother Earth included.

A lucid H.P. is some deep, scary shit. H.P. on drugs boggles the mind.
Bill
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
A good collection of Lovecraft's short stories. I actually read this in three sections, because while I really enjoyed them, I couldn't read them all at once. I'm glad to have seen more of the Cthulhu mythos, though. Very interesting stuff.
Bianca
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the first Lovecraft stories that I have read.. Very intriguing, I am captivated by his word choices and the way in which he describes scenes where it is clear but not so clear that it is stated for you. Yes, a very intriguing tale. I look forward to what the next tale has in store for me.
Athena Greek
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It been a couple of short stories of H.P. Lovecraft and at the end of each one I am left wanting more. I simply love is writing style and his way with description.
Iván Sánchez
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cuentos
La narrativa de Lovecraft, bien solo o en colaboraciones, destaca en esta serie.
Marts  (Thinker)
Jun 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, horror
Horror / fantasy tales by H.P. Lovecraft.
Erik Graff
Aug 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovecraft fans
Recommended to Erik by: Lawrence Santoro
Shelves: sf
This was, as I recall, a gift from a friend, himself a writer of fantastical and horror fiction. Some of the stories I'd read before, but some seemed new.
Ebster Davis
Don't do drugs kids.
Lydia
Apr 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great collection of Lovecraft classics, missing some obvious ones though (No Mountains of Madness? For shame)
David
Oct 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Am Anfang ein bisschen schleppend. Die letzte der 12 Geschichten, die ein Drittel des gesamten Buches ausmachte, war definitiv die beste. Aber kein Cthulhu :( Man hatte mir Cthulhu versprochen.
Alicia Nicholson
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and classy.

While not what I was expecting given its name, it was still a haunting scene. Short enough to read slow to really drink in the words.
Mateo R.
* Sustancias: Opio.
Avocados
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Fascinating to read the origin story for the Cthulu cult, however, the prose were very dense and yet not descriptive and the story lacked intrigue.
Fabio Vinicius Binder
Claire Ulthar Sideral
Releído y me maravilla este viaje sideral, como si estuvieras totalmente drogado. Droga pura. Y no, no es Nyarlathotep. :D
Elizabeth
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lovecraft. 'Nuff said.
Bridget
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Reading this for book club, never read any Lovecraft before. I've never seen a more hostile preface and introduction to a collection.
Matt
Dec 31, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
the Lovecraft Vocabulary Word Of The Day is: "athwart".
Stuart Boon
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another fine collection of Lovecraft's work.
Chris
  • Prey
  • Fleurs de ruine
  • Breakheart Hill
  • Great Ghost Stories
  • La Comtesse de Cagliostro (Arsène Lupin, #12)
  • Tales of Horror & the Supernatural
  • The Wind in the Rosebush and Other Stories of the Supernatural
  • The Bells of Bicetre
  • Ghost Stories
  • Dark Faith: Invocations
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a
More about H.P. Lovecraft...

Colaboraciones (7 books)
  • Sordo, mudo y ciego (Colaboraciones, #2)
  • La última prueba (Colaboraciones, #3)
  • El verdugo eléctrico (Colaboraciones, #4)
  • El lazo de Medusa (Colaboraciones, #5)
  • The Horror in the Museum
  • El horror en el cementerio (Colaboraciones, #7)