Start by marking “Agile Software Development: The Cooperative Game” as Want to Read:
Agile Software Development: The Cooperative Game

Agile Software Development: The Cooperative Game

(Agile Software Development Series)

Paperback, Second Edition, 467 pages
Published October 1st 2006 by Addison-Wesley Professional

To ask other readers questions about Agile Software Development, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agile Software Development

Start your review of Agile Software Development: The Cooperative Game
Russell
Oct 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book and Agile development and the theories behind it.

If you don't understand Agile after reading this, you need to re-read it.

So, what is Agile?

It's more of a process, than a strict set of rules.

The Agile Manifesto declares the following:

"Individuals and interactions over processes and tools
Working software over comprehensive documentation
Customer collaboration over contract negotiation
Responding to change over following a plan

That is, while there is value in the items on
th
David Snook
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Still relevant more than a decade after the second edition was published. The idea that an Agile development methodology can be customized to meet the special needs of a particular group and project was very insightful all those years ago and the fact that many folks in the Agile world are just now beginning to see that one size does not fit all is a testament to how far it was ahead of its time.

The best part of this book was the explanation of the nature of software development as a uniquely hu
Salvador Gomez
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Despite its theoretical approach, Alistair Cockburn is my favorite author, thinker and inovator on the Software development field, and this book (its second and revised edition) explains a lot of the questions that make Software development an Art and a Science at the same time. Cockburn does the best job to understand the chaos of the game, whether the human interaction component or the technological solutions that development struggles to concrete.
John Hearn
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a book on the psychology of the workplace and the barriers to smooth software development, I think this is one of the best books I've read. However the industry is not what it was when the book was written and essential ideas like automation and focus on delivery are not really covered. ...more
Arturo
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: agile
Agile Software Development is a book from Alistair Cockburn part of the mythical group who gathered together and signed on the Agile Manifesto. The second edition, published in 2007 contains several updates to the first one published several years earlier.

A big chunk of the book concentrates around the more abstract points around the challenges of communication, how software is a game of cooperation, analysis of the peculiarities of individuals and teams and finally methodologies. These chapters
André Heijstek
De filosofie van Agile Software Development

Ik ben de laatste maanden intensief bezig geweest met het boek Agile Software Development – The Cooperative Game van Alistair Cockburn. Meestal lees ik boeken veel sneller maar dit boek dwong me steeds om te reflecteren, gaf me continu ideeën voor toepassingen. Maar nu is het boek uit, en dus is het tijd voor een bespreking. In deze eerste blog de filosofische basis.

Deel 0 van het boek begint filosofisch: “wat kunnen we eigenlijk weten?”, wat is “knowab
Marcel
Jan 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
I think I'm just not a fan of Cockburn's writing :(
While there are a lot of interesting thoughts in this book, it's juuuuuussssttt tooooooo looooooong.
Maybe if you are new to all this, maybe...
I don't know, I would have preferred a massively edited down version, not this 500 page tour de force. And while I am a sucker for academic theory on top of practical topics, some of the stuff Cockburn references just feels like so far removed from reality that it made me cringe and smile at the same time
Michael Ryan
Jul 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
I know that Alistair Cockburn is supposed to be one of the founding fathers of the Agile movement, but I disagreed with a lot of what he said, and this book is very philosophical.

In Chapter 1 he compares software development to the precepts of Aikido.

In Chapter 2 he says that software development is like a community writing epic poetry together.

A bit later on he says that software development is 'a game within a game.'

That's funny, fellow software engineers always thought that it was
Eduardo
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good reading for learning the principles and philosophy behind agile methodologies. With amusing anecdotes and interesting analogies from disparate sources such as the Lockheed Skunkworks and the Chrysler C3 Project, the author shows how group dynamics between stakeholders can influence the success or failure of a project, indicating the pitfalls that undermine the so-called information flow and showing how they can be avoided to bring in to fruition a project of this nature.
Erin
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
This book gave a good overview of the concepts of Agile and provided some useful techniques for making Agile methodologies work. Towards the end of the book, it gets a little more "salesman" with the author making a case for his particular methodology, but up to that point, it was a useful read. ...more
Scott
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Agile enthusiasts
Recommended to Scott by: Alistair Cockburn at a talk
This is an interesting take on agile software development. I heard Alistair speak to this book at a local IEEE Computer Society meeting. He likes to use analogies for relating experiences in software and this is very effective.
Lord Daven
Apr 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agile
good starting, messy ending
Girish
Jun 23, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Todd Webb
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Software development is a cooperative game. Highly Recommended for anyone who wants to understand the fundamental human processes involved in developing software.
Dan Francis
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A more broad overview of agile techniques than most books provide. The only drawback I see is it is a little dated.
Thomas
Mar 10, 2010 added it
Fast schon "philosophisch", aber sehr gute Einführung und Grundlage, tiefgehend. Eigentlich Pflichtlektüre ...more
Karlo
Feb 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Having a tough time with this one. It's challenging a lot of foundational beliefs I have about the way I do my job. The writing is good so far... ...more
Paula
Jan 28, 2008
Mark
Aug 30, 2019
Alexey Krivitsky
Jan 12, 2018
Tamika
rated it did not like it
Feb 21, 2019

• Digital Design: Principles and Practices Package
  • Probability and Random Processes for Electrical Engineering
  • Electric Circuit Analysis: Student Problem Set with Solutions
  • Home beermaking: The complete beginner's guidebook
  • Winter (Seasons Quartet, #2)
  • Humankind: A Hopeful History
  • The Tombs of Atuan (Earthsea Cycle, #2)
  • The Farthest Shore (Earthsea Cycle, #3)
  • Designing Interactions [With CDROM]
  • Leadership and Self-Deception: Getting Out of the Box

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Agile Software Development Series (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Beyond Requirements: Analysis with an Agile Mindset
  • The Scrumban [R]Evolution: Getting the Most Out of Agile, Scrum, and Lean Kanban
  • A Practical Approach to Large-Scale Agile Development: How HP Transformed LaserJet FutureSmart Firmware
  • The Scrum Field Guide: Practical Advice for Your First Year
  • Agile Analytics: A Value-Driven Approach to Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing
  • Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise
  • Agile Project Management: Creating Innovative Products (Agile Software Development Series)
  • Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Thinking and Organizational Tools for Large-Scale Scrum
  • The Software Project Manager's Bridge to Agility