Start by marking “Maria Stuart” as Want to Read:
Maria Stuart

Maria Stuart

"Nach meiner Ansicht ist Maria Stuart die pathetischste und am besten durchdachte von allen deutschen Tragödien. Das Schicksal dieser Königin, deren Leben so glückverheißend begann, die ihr Glück durch zahllose Fehler verscherzte und endlich nach neunzehnjähriger Gefangenschaft das Schafott bestieg, erregt ebensoviel Schrecken und Mitleid wie Ödipus, Orest oder Niobe."
- Ge
Published 2001 by Philipp Reclam (first published 1800)

To ask other readers questions about Maria Stuart, please sign up.
tx What a moronic question! This is a play written in 1800 by one of Germany's most renowned poets! It's about the last days of Mary Stuart. If you worry…moreWhat a moronic question! This is a play written in 1800 by one of Germany's most renowned poets! It's about the last days of Mary Stuart. If you worry about "subject matter and contexto" I suggest you google it!!(less)

Jan-Maat
The first thing that I noticed was how the drama was stripped away, the situation is that Maria Stuart, Queen of Scots is being held in a secure facility at the pleasure of her cousin Queen Elizabeth of England, so far so historical, and historically we know that this situation ends with Mary/Maria decapitated. Early in the first act we are told that a sentence of death has been passed against Maria so the only dramatic issue is how, why and when Elizabeth will come to sign the document and comm ...more
Brian
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Mary Stuart” is a play that gives us a fictional account of the last days of Mary Queen of Scots. In it we are treated to an entirely made up scene in which Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth I meet face to face. And it is the stuff of great drama!
In Schiller’s hands the play and story leans heavily in the favor of Mary Stuart, and Elizabeth I comes across as the villain, if there is one. Elizabeth’s machinations and manipulations of others without her being honest in her intentions makes her
Vishy
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Schiller version of the story of Mary, Queen of Scots. Beautiful and heartbreaking. I don't know whether it was the original prose or the translation, but the translation was like Shakespearean language - very beautiful.
Christine
Well, better than reading it. Acting is great. But the play is so not a favorite of mine. It feels like Elizabeth is being punished because she isn't beautiful enough.
Czarny Pies
Oct 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those who want to know more about the theatrical roots of the great operas of the 19th Century.
Recommended to Czarny by: My mother and several other opera fans.
Shelves: german-lit
Friedrich Schiller is considered to be the greatest playwright of the German romantic movement that provided the foundation for the French, Italian and English romantic movements in the first half of the 19th Century. Schiller's formula is diabolically simple. You take a movement for national independence or unity, put a human tragedy in the centre and then tell your story with sublime verse.

As one of the foremost oracles of the Zeitgeist of his era, it is not surprising that several
Dominic Thomsen
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Great one. Even if hard to read, this drama is stunning. When our teacher told us we were going to read it in school I was going like " oh my god, another meaningless and stupid waste of time", but after having got into it, the story became really fascinating. Actually this fantastic piece of, yes, art was what made me interested in the Tudors and other powerful dynasties. Basically without having read Maria Stuart, I would never have got to read anything historical or fictional that other peopl ...more
Rick
Oct 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
A brilliant and quite thrilling translation/version of the classic Schiller play, which chronicles an imagined meeting between Elizabeth Tudor and Mary Stuart.
✿ Eva ✿
probably my favourite book weve read for class so far!
Fie Sejr Ravn Jensen
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: university-reads
This was some serious Shakespearian class drama. Kept me at the edge of my seat (or should I say bed?).
Wayne
Oct 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone curious about Mary Queen of Scots
Recommended to Wayne by: my Irish friend Grainne gave me her copy
A third of the way into this and finding it very good.
Will be seeing a production in a week's time with Gretta Scacchi as Elizabeth I which will be a real treat.
More later.
...Here's the MORE!!!

The play's the thing!!!
Enjoyed reading it , but LOVED seeeeeeing it!!!!!!!!

Gretta Scacchi was brilliant...how lucky for us that she has an Australian connection and keeps coming back.
A small intimate theatre where you can see the boats bobbing round in
Katbyrdie
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
I technically didn't read the book, I listened to a play recorded for distribution. Alex Kingston played Mary and she was divine. The play was captivating and had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I cannot wait to read the play myself, because I know losing myself in the words will be a completely different experience than listening to it. I also want to see a production of the play and even a version of it as an opera.
Tess
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really beautifully written/translated. I loved the examination of the relationship between Elizabeth I and Mary Stuart. As mentioned in other reviews it's quite sympathetic to Mary's side but I already love Liz pretty intensely so it kinda helped balance it out in my case. I'd love to see it on stage at some point. I feel like this play must have influenced that Elizabeth miniseries w/ Helen Mirren which also portrayed a fictional meeting between the two queens.
Samuele
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I read it for the Uni. This was a cool play but I think that other writers had done a better job. This had long monologues and I don't like them very much.
The first half was a little boring, but then it becomes more interesting.
Marina
Nov 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Read this for school and it was alright.
Newtommy

# Writing Style: 4

# Uniqueness / Originality: 3

# Overall Impression: 4
paula.
i’m not rating this bc it’s a school read
it wasn’t bad, i have had bad experience with schiller but this made it better
it’s just always funny how you know it’s a male writer when then female characters have monologues about their virginity, and every sentence seems to be a stab towards women, we love that
Jacob Hurley
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Probably the least memorable of all the schiller plays i've read. Still it has his excellent romantic-exaggerated psychologies and their conflicts, reflections on humanity and rulership, long speeches about beauty and freedom, all that, etc. He wrote it in as perfect accordance with his playwriting principles as he could, I guess, and so is a solid, compact play.
TP
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
What a classic.
I think the first time i read this was 20 years ago.
Beautiful and heartbreaking.
Realini
Mary Stuart by Friedrich Schiller

Some thoughts on valor, religion and family.

Elizabeth I was an extraordinary woman, queen and leader, but a terrible sister. It is argued that for the greater good we have to sacrifice the few who block the way, and Mary Stuart was a pretender to the throne, indeed, also known as Mary Queen of the Scots.

I do not know what adaptation is more accurate, but the one that I liked best was Elizabeth, with Cate Blanchett playing the lead role, for
Meghan Coffey
Nov 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
This was a tough read, really hard to get through. The plot itself is dramatic and the questions it poses are deep and thought-provoking. It's just really hard to read. This is one of those plays that are better off being seen, so hopefully I'll like it more when I see the performance tomorrow night.
I really did love the historical background and being more educated in the Tudor line, specifically with Queen Elizabeth and Mary, Queen of Scots. I found myself rooting more for Mary and actually d
Joanna
I'd really like to see a production of this play, or even better, of the opera based on it. I enjoyed reading the portrayal of Elizabeth and Mary, though I don't know how historically accurate it is. According to Wikipedia, the meeting between Mary and Elizabeth so deliciously enacted in this play actually never occurred. I can definitely picture certain actresses really bringing life to the face-off between these characters. I see why the play won seven Tony awards in its most recent (2009) rev ...more
Miss Bookiverse
Had to read it for school. Actually I like Schiller but this play was pretty boring and I got a little confused with all the people and who was on which side. We cleared most of that up in the lessons though. Unfortunately I found neither Maria nor Elizabeth to be a very appealing character.
Talking about it in school for weeks made the story even lamer. I remember having tons of fun with Samy though, picturing who of our fellow students would play which role if the play was performed in ou
Maltoablativ
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The start is a little slow, but from the third act on it picks up the pace and is just awesome, well... and tragic. It's actually quite a tearjerker. I would definitely recommend this one, also because its themes (like all these 18th century dramas) are still relevant today. The thoughts on the interplay of religion, law (or jurisdiction) and the Queen (or the Governement) on a politically level. My recommendation goes out to students of political sciences as well literature, or to anyone who ju ...more
Ruha
Nov 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
One of the best books I've read in school. The story is very simple to understand, but interesting. The only thing that made it maybe a bit boring was the fact that you know how the story is going to end.
Michaela
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely amazing! The way Schiller uses his stereotype of character in Mortimer and the way he makes the reader feel like Elizabeth and Maria at the same time... This book was really catching me!
Anica
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: classics
Even though people praises this play a lot, I found it boring. It took me way too long to finish it. No real highlights, nothing that I found appealing. In fact, I liked Schiller's earlier work way better than this one where I was just glad to finally finish it. *sigh*
Viktoria
May 22, 2016 rated it liked it
It was a little difficult to read, but I didn't expect anything else. I still liked it and I could find some really pretty quotes about life there.
Florea Joana
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Historically really bad but I have seen worst. It is worthy of a try at least if you like the classics.
✨Jinglemarco✨  Маркуша - Мишутка (Nursery rhymes enthusiast)*

Good play - very interesting. I have read this in italian, even though I own this very deutsche edition.
Elizabeth is really schizophrenic.
I am TEAM Maria!
André
Jun 10, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to André by: Gudrun Krause
Shelves: school
Beurk. Stupid book, they made us read it in school, but it was awful. I think I didn't read it, but I know it's bad.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Irrungen, Wirrungen
  • Romeo und Julia auf dem Dorfe
  • Brigitta
  • Lulu. Erdgeist. Die Buchse Der Pandora
Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller (November 10, 1759 – May 9, 1805) was a German poet, philosopher, historian, and dramatist. During the last few years of his life (1788–1805), Schiller struck up a productive, if complicated, friendship with already famous and influential Johann Wolfgang Goethe, with whom he greatly discussed issues concerning aesthetics, encouraging Goethe to finish works he left m ...more
“The voice of the majority is no proof of justice” 49 likes
“Let them storm on. In fury let them rage!
Firm is this castle, and beneath its ruins
I will be buried ere I yield to them.
—Johanna, answer me! only be mine,
And I will shield thee 'gainst a world in arms.”
1 likes