Start by marking “Dido and Pa (The Wolves Chronicles, #7)” as Want to Read:
Dido and Pa (The Wolves Chronicles, #7)

Dido and Pa

(The Wolves Chronicles #7)

Readers who have followed Dido Twite’s escapades in Black Hearts in Battersea and Nightbirds on Nantucket will welcome her return in another wild adventure. Now back in print, Dido and Pa continues the Wolves Chronicles, the exhilarating and imaginative series that stemmed from Joan Aiken’s classic The Wolves of Willoughby Chase.
Dido Twite is finally back home in London
Published October 28th 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Dido and Pa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dido and Pa

Start your review of Dido and Pa (The Wolves Chronicles, #7)
Abigail
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers Who Enjoy 'The Wolves Chronicles'
One of the darkest entries in Aiken's Wolves Chronicles, and by far my favorite of the lot, Dido and Pa picks up exactly where The Cuckoo Tree left off, with the long-awaited reunion of Dido and Simon. But the friends' joys is cut short when Dido finds herself kidnapped by her father, Abednego Twite, and once again embroiled in a convoluted Hanoverian conspiracy. With a royal doppelganger, the discovery of a previously-unknown sister, and a reunion with a long-lost one; a horde of vicious ...more
Jackie
I first read this book (this entire series) fourteen years ago. Since then, it's been one of my favorite books of all time and Dido Twite one of my favorite characters. Dido and Pa is the Silver Chair of the Wolves Chronicles. It's darker, more complex, and it asks some very good questions. Most importantly:

How can somebody write such music - and act so?

I can see why Joan Aiken shifted focus to Is for a couple books, and then returned to Dido's earlier adventures. Between the opening and the
Edith
A return to form after two (in my opinion) less that satisfactory entries in the Wolves Chronicles. Dido Twite is finally back in England and reunites with Simon and Sophie--and, unfortunately, her father, now known as Boris Breadalbane, chapel master to an evil Hanoverian margrave. Can Simon, Sophie, and their allies stop a nefarious plot to oust the newly crowned King Dick? (What a question!)

Aiken's Wolves Chronicles are formulaic, but when successfully constructed (which seems to be when they
Kirsten
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Another volume in the wonderful series that began with The Wolves of Wiloughby Chase. Dido Twite is finally joyfully reunited with her old friend Simon, who is now the Duke of Battersea, only to be stolen away by her father before she and Simon can be properly reunited. Abednego Twite once again has a nefarious scheme to unseat King Richard, and he is determined that Dido will help him, like it or not. As always with the books in this series, Aiken neatly balances humor and grim reality, ...more
Chris
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dido-twite, aiken
No sooner was Dido Twite back in London for the coronation of Richard IV (in The Cuckoo Tree) then she found herself back in rural West Sussex, and all this after long eventful years crisscrossing the globe. And now, no sooner has she met up with Simon -- the boy who had taken care of her when she was a Cockney guttersnipe -- then she is snabbled by no less a personage than her musical yet nefarious father ... back to London! What plans does he have for her, and for what purposes?

On the banks of
C Cédille
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Aiken's Dido Twite adventures. Aiken always brings the right amount of historical authenticity and vivid world building. Her books make me dive into an alternate Victorian England where James III reigned. This is a world where kids grind carrots into coffee to sell it for cheap on the streets, create bands to help fend for themselves, and live at the mercy of the adults around them. (but give as good as they get). Aiken includes details that lend credence to her world; for instance, some ...more
Carrie
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I'm still following that Died o'Fright around. Each adventure saves the king, this time it's King David Jamie Charlie Neddie Geordie Harry Dick Tudor-Stuart. The best part about this one is that we are reunited with Simon and Sophie, who we haven't seen since book two.
Priscilla King
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like alternative history
Dido Twite, the Cockney super-kid heroine who took over the Wolves Chronicles, is back in London with her father. There's always been some father-daughter feeling between them; despite this she's always known he was a weak, mostly bad character. (Readers didn't see much of Dido's early life at home but it was easy to see her as the stereotypical "caretaker" child of an alcoholic.) His weakness drew him into the violent and desperate Hanoverian Party, who are still obsessed with replacing good ...more
Tammie Groeneman
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as good as The Wolves of Willoughby Chase or Black Hearts in Battersea but there are some great parts. The “lollpoops” as well as some other interesting names and words make this story delightful, but, overall, the storyline doesn’t flow as well as the others in the series.
LHbooks
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A return to form with London, Sophie, Simon and the Hanoverians all back in the action. Dido makes some choices about who she wants to be as she’s thrown back together with her ne’er-do-well Pa. The beautiful language and attention to detail always make these books worth reading.
Elizabeth Brush
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
all the weirds--also, the entrance of Is!
Books Kids Like
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
At Mrs. Bloodvessel's house in London, Dido learns of a Hanoverian plot to kill the heads of state and replace the king with an imposter named Van Doon. This imposter is staying at Margrave Eisengrim's house, and Dido is forced to teach him the king's speech and mannerisms. During the lessons, Dido tells Van Doon about the Margrave's deception. Meanwhile, the Margrave sends for Simon. He is away from home hunting wolves, and Sophie, Simon's twin sister, takes his place. Sophie's true identity is ...more
Hessie
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was really hard for me to decide between 4 and 5 stars for this one. It really was fantastic in so many ways! The reunion between Dido and Simon was wonderful! Old and new characters become even more endearing and the plot is engaging. This book is also dark and deep. I have read other reviewers who called Dido's pa one of the best written villains of all time and I agree with them! Mr. Twite is anything but flat and Dido's internal conflict about his true character is very thought provoking. ...more
eve
Aug 27, 2009 added it
my favorite book in the series, probably because i read it later, in my twneties instead of in middle school. the tone and themes are definitely darker and more complicated. The most interesting part is Dido's relationship with her father and her very conflicted feelings toward him. She knows he's never up to any good, is neglectfully cruel, and a drunk, but she loves his music and can't forget that he is after all her father.

Contains my favorite Dido line ever: "Simon! We thought as you was
Windy2go
Nov 07, 2009 rated it liked it
I love Joan Aiken. This little paperback was in the guest room bookshelf at my parents' house, so I picked it up. Joan is a quick read, zingy characters, fun plots. I had a good time reading Dido and Pa (and was sorry to discover that we did always mis-pronounce Dido's name -- it rhymnes with "Died-Oh" because the other characters occasionally called her "Died-Oh Fright". I was actually reading this book in the car on the way to the airport and didn't get the last few pages done! So I'm not ...more
Celeste Ng
Jun 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids and wannabe kids
One of the things I like best about Joan Aiken's Wolves Chronicles is that none of the books feel alike: each deals with a completely separate world (Nantucket at the height of the whaling era; South American jungles crossed with Arthurian legend; rural England crossed with Carribean voodoo), and the plots and characters are so outlandish, that each book feels completely fresh. This was the first book where I realized that good people could die, which may be why it's stayed in my memory so ...more
Jenn Estepp
Apr 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
further adventures of dido twite. in this volume, she has barely made it back to london when her irascible father abducts her and involves her in the newest hanoverian plot. which of course must be thwarted, along with the help of simon, sophie and a host of homeless street urchins. slightly darker, in some ways, but also genuinely moving, dwelling in some deeper emotional territory than others in the series. neck and neck with "nightbirds" as my favorite in the series.
Colette
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the earlier books in the series, but Dido sure has an adventurous life. These later books are more dark, have more horrific deaths, characters taking the Lord's name in vain. They seem to be for a little older audience than the first few, which were written in the 1960s.
Jane
Mar 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Who knew that Joan Aiken's Wolves of Willoughby Chase had ELEVEN pendant stories? I remember loving Black Hearts in Battersea nad Nightbirds on Nantucket, but what treasures I missed! Chugging happily through them all now. Dido Twite joins Madeline, Eloise, Nancy Drew and Harriet the Spy in the Pantheon of girl heroes.
Liana
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably my favorite of the whole series. Has all of the characters, humor, darkness, quirky language, and mystery of all the others, but the bittersweet, complicated relationship between Dido and her father accompanies the intriguing plot like a secondary melody in one of Mr. Twite's masterfully-described musical compositions.
jennifer
these might be my favorite books of all books.
Rebekah
Aug 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nathans-books
Amazing as are all of her books. We are on the last of the 7 book series. I expect it will be wonderful as well.
Jossalyn
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
love this author and this series. love dido twite. always stopped at the first 3 books before, and this first time reading this one. still delightful, but dido was at her best in nantucket, i think.
Brenda
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
These characters are certainly growing on me...I wonder at the names and how they were chosen
Anthony Faber
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wolves #7. This takes up right after "The Cuckoo Tree", with Dido getting mixed up in and foiling another plot against the British crown.
whalesister
Mar 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Book 4 of Aiken's Wolves series. See Wolves of Willowby Chase review.
Tiffany
Jul 13, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children
I am disappointed in the way this series has turned out. Very violent and unfun.
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
One of the best books in this series!
Matthew Lindtveit
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Best one of a great series.
Jan Yip
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another childhood favorite.....I LOVED Dido Twite!

• The Dark Is Rising
  • Queens' Play (The Lymond Chronicles, #2)
  • America Is Not the Heart
  • Greenwitch
  • People in Trouble
  • Over Sea, Under Stone
  • Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead
  • The Owl Service
  • A Fortunate Man: The Story of a Country Doctor
  • Mr. Midshipman Hornblower (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #1)
  • Silver on the Tree
  • The Grey King
  • The Beethoven Medal (Pennington, #2)
  • Pennington's Last Term (Pennington, #1)
  • House of Stairs
  • Pennington's Heir (Pennington, #3)
  • The Team (Ruth Hollis, #2)
  • Fly-by-Night (Ruth Hollis, #1)
Joan Aiken was a much loved English writer who received the MBE for services to Children's Literature. She was known as a writer of wild fantasy, Gothic novels and short stories.

She was born in Rye, East Sussex, into a family of writers, including her father, Conrad Aiken (who won a Pulitzer Prize for his poetry), and her sister, Jane Aiken Hodge. She worked for the United Nations Information

The Wolves Chronicles (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1)
  • Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2)
  • Nightbirds on Nantucket (The Wolves Chronicles, #3)
  • The Stolen Lake (The Wolves Chronicles, #4)
  • Dangerous Games (The Wolves Chronicles, #5)
  • The Cuckoo Tree (The Wolves Chronicles, #6)
  • Is Underground (The Wolves Chronicles, #8)
  • Cold Shoulder Road (The Wolves Chronicles, #9)
  • Midwinter Nightingale (The Wolves Chronicles, #10)
  • The Witch of Clatteringshaws (The Wolves Chronicles, #11)